Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Internet Kraken posted:

Slugma can't stop being a pile of magma.

He will be forever unloved. Poor slugma, doomed from birth, he can't even find appreciation in amie :smith:

Can you pet it once it evolves to Magcargo and gets that big shell on its back?

The slugs are in my top fire-type favorites. Horrible stats and types but they're adorable. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Set and Spread for an Iron Defense/Speed Boost Baton Pass Scolipede? It's Bold (not perfect but it was the first 5-31 with the dump in SpA and I got it in 5 minutes). I was thinking BP/ID/Swords Dance/Megahorn because I hate getting caught with my pants down in a Taunt, but for all that comes up ingame maybe Swagger instead, and then maxing HP/Sdef and throwing 4 into Def, unless there's a better defensive spread? It'll be passing to Garchomp 99% of the time, I think. Or my new Machamp, who's pretty rad but can definitely use those two or three speed boosts.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
More improtant than Amie/Super Training/anything else is: Will I still be able to dress up fabulously? Or is May gonna be stuck in the same outfit forever? :confused:

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I'm personally hoping for silly hats of all the colours of the rainbow for the Male trainer.

Really, I hope there's less lovely boring clothes in ridiculous amounts of colours, and more styles of clothes. Have some classy poo poo, some punk poo poo, some business formal, some business casual, ace trainer gear, veteran gear, tour de france original gen 3 gear.

Stuff that actually looks different and cool.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Why is bellsprout the preferred attack EV Horde? I jsut gave up being frustrated at the constant rain and then realised that arbok and Weepingbell both have a horde on route 19 and went there instead.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

less laughter posted:

Only if you know HM01 and have beaten the first gym

Now now, You can still use it in battles, just for some reason you can't use it on small, non menacing trees. :colbert:

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Why is bellsprout the preferred attack EV Horde? I jsut gave up being frustrated at the constant rain and then realised that arbok and Weepingbell both have a horde on route 19 and went there instead.
Since when is bellsprout a good EV horde? Route 19 has Arbok and Weepingbell hordes that both give 2 Attack EV's, and The Western cliffside beach route has Wingull and Taillow in the grass, which i'm pretty sure give 2 speed EV's.

Those with the appropriate power items cover most of the EV training you'd need.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I can see Regigigas being stuffed into Hoenn, but where might it go? Possibly a new place, or even if you go back to the Sealed Chamber after catching the three others.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I also agree with whoever it was that said Volcarona or Heatran could be put in the Scorched Slab, since it would be cooler having that actually filled with something more than a Sunny Day TM.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Crawfish posted:

Since when is bellsprout a good EV horde? Route 19 has Arbok and Weepingbell hordes that both give 2 Attack EV's, and The Western cliffside beach route has Wingull and Taillow in the grass, which i'm pretty sure give 2 speed EV's.

Those with the appropriate power items cover most of the EV training you'd need.

For some reason one or two of the more popular horde training guides suggests using Bellsprout hordes. No idea why.

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

For some reason one or two of the more popular horde training guides suggests using Bellsprout hordes. No idea why.
Basically, with a +speed and +attack power item, you can EV train two 252/252/6 pokemon at the same time by fighting hordes that give 2 attack and 2 speed EVs or 1 attack and 1 speed EV. Since there's no common horde in the game that has 2 speed EV pokemon, it's usually faster to use Bellsprout/Wingull hordes rather than Weepinbell/Floatzel ones.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Wallet Inspector posted:

Basically, with a +speed and +attack power item, you can EV train two 252/252/6 pokemon at the same time by fighting hordes that give 2 attack and 2 speed EVs or 1 attack and 1 speed EV. Since there's no common horde in the game that has 2 speed EV pokemon, it's usually faster to use Bellsprout/Wingull hordes rather than Weepinbell/Floatzel ones.
Still confused how Bellsprout is better than Weepingbell since its the common horde of it's route.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Crawfish posted:

Still confused how Bellsprout is better than Weepingbell since its the common horde of it's route.

The Bellsprout one is a backup in case it's raining on the Weepinbell route.

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

Crawfish posted:

If you use a 2EV Attack pokemon (Weepinbell) with the plus speed power item and a 1EV Speed pokemon (Wingull) with the plus attack power item for Horde EV training, it fucks up your EVs so you can't just do five battles of each (I think).

EDIT: ^ that too. It's always loving raining on Route 19.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Wallet Inspector posted:

It's always loving raining on Route 19.

Unless you want to evolve a Sliggoo into Goodra.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Tardigrade posted:

Can you pet it once it evolves to Magcargo and gets that big shell on its back?

The slugs are in my top fire-type favorites. Horrible stats and types but they're adorable. :3:

Agreed. Magcargo is pretty adorable.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Magcargo is legitimately my favorite Pokemon and I really hope he eventually gets a Mega Evolution so that my favorite Pokemon can finally be good.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I haven`t played any of X/Y. Did the Mega evolution make Absol finally good? How did the mega evos go in general, were any of them poo poo?

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Austrian mook posted:

I haven`t played any of X/Y. Did the Mega evolution make Absol finally good? How did the mega evos go in general, were any of them poo poo?

Mega Charizard is one of the most dangerous fire-types you can encounter, and Mega Kangaskhan is a nigh-unstoppable nightmare.

And Mega Ampharos has the most fabulous hair that you have ever or will ever see.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Austrian mook posted:

Mega Banette gets the biggest 'gently caress you' of the entire lot.

It gets the requisite 100 point boost, and Prankster as its new ability... that doesn't work on the turn it Mega-Evolves.

Aside from that, Mega Blaziken is basically Speed Boost Blaziken except more broken, Mega Lucario combines 3 different Priority attacks with Adaptabiliy, Mega Kangaskhan is possibly the most broken PoS ever designed, and Mega Gengar gets Shadow Tag as an ability and can basically switch in on anything and force a KO.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
I'm only about 6 entries away from completing the pokedex. I was looking forward to getting that item that increases your chance of finding a shiny pokemon before i realised how poo poo most of them look. They should probably do something about that. Also getting someone to part with an arceus is proving a bit difficult.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Ghost Head posted:

I'm only about 6 entries away from completing the pokedex. I was looking forward to getting that item that increases your chance of finding a shiny pokemon before i realised how poo poo most of them look. They should probably do something about that. Also getting someone to part with an arceus is proving a bit difficult.

You can just ask for a tradeback, pretty sure that'll put its entry in your Dex.

Amperor
Oct 27, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

You can just ask for a tradeback, pretty sure that'll put its entry in your Dex.

Also, you don't need Arceus, or any of the event* 'mons, to get the shiny charm.

*Meloetta, Genesect, Keldeo, Shaymin, Darkrai, Arceus, Victini, Manaphy, Phione, I forget if there are others.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Ghost Head posted:

I'm only about 6 entries away from completing the pokedex. I was looking forward to getting that item that increases your chance of finding a shiny pokemon before i realised how poo poo most of them look. They should probably do something about that.

Some shinies actually look better than their regular counterparts, like Chesnaught.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

It gets the requisite 100 point boost, and Prankster as its new ability... that doesn't work on the turn it Mega-Evolves.

Aside from that, Mega Blaziken is basically Speed Boost Blaziken except more broken, Mega Lucario combines 3 different Priority attacks with Adaptabiliy, Mega Kangaskhan is possibly the most broken PoS ever designed, and Mega Gengar gets Shadow Tag as an ability and can basically switch in on anything and force a KO.

You're forgetting the most important part, that being that you can actually tell that shiny Mega Garchomp is in fact shiny. Nothing else even compares to this when you get down to it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Trouble with Mega Absol is that it wants to switch in to a predicted status move, but it needs to have already gone mega.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Mega Kangaskhan isn't that hard to defeat if you pack something like Terrakion or Justified Lucario, who pretty much tell her Sucker Punch to eat poo poo before slamming her hard with an OHKOing Close Combat

On a stranger note, part of a dream I had last night was that Smogon banned Poison Heal Breloom. The sad part was that I woke up thinking it was still true.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

less laughter posted:

Some shinies actually look better than their regular counterparts, like Chesnaught.

I hugely prefer normal chesnaught. Of all the shinies I have ever seen, only a few come to mind right now that I prefer to the normal versions. Dusknoir, aerodactyl, azelf, slaking and maybe flygon. The majority of the rest look worse in my opinion and some are about the same.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Shiny sylveon is totally boss, though.

edit: i'm always so frustrated trying to battle random strangers just to play a round of 6v6. Why is game freak so stupid about this? Having 6 pokemon on your team is a constant throughout the entire game series, and yet there is no way to do a 6v6 battle on battle spot. Why?

Who here likes to battle 6v6? I've bred almost a whole box of pokemon now and I want some rivals who play semi-competitively.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 10, 2014

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Bongo Bill posted:

Trouble with Mega Absol is that it wants to switch in to a predicted status move, but it needs to have already gone mega.

It's also very predictable, and it's made of wet cardboard.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Austrian mook posted:

I wouldn't say Absol was really that bad to begin with, just a sort of niche mon. Outside of Tyranitar, it had the highest physical attack for a dark type, which made it's sucker punch pretty intense. With it's mega, it went up to 150, which is just a tad bit ridiculous, especially considering how dark is much better this generation. If it couldn't be knocked over by a light breeze, I'd say it'd be pretty awesome.

Pureauthor posted:

With 165 bas attack and the addition of Prankster, I certainly hope you mean 'gently caress you' to the other player. :colbert:

I'd be more inclined to say Mega Aerodactyl is the worst.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Ignite Memories posted:

Shiny sylveon is totally boss, though.

edit: i'm always so frustrated trying to battle random strangers just to play a round of 6v6. Why is game freak so stupid about this? Having 6 pokemon on your team is a constant throughout the entire game series, and yet there is no way to do a 6v6 battle on battle spot. Why?

Who here likes to battle 6v6? I've bred almost a whole box of pokemon now and I want some rivals who play semi-competitively.

I do, hop in the IRC channel #pokegoons. Crusader King is always looking for as many battles as possible later at night, and the rest of us are frequently up for a fight.

InterrupterJones posted:

With 165 bas attack and the addition of Prankster, I certainly hope you mean 'gently caress you' to the other player. :colbert:

I'd be more inclined to say Mega Aerodactyl is the worst.

It kinda starts one way, then the other. It kinda sucks that prankster doesn't activate the first turn. But then you end up with a priority Destiny Bond.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Ghost Head posted:

I was looking forward to getting that item that increases your chance of finding a shiny pokemon before i realised how poo poo most of them look. They should probably do something about that.

The problem is Gen I/II shinies had to work with the limited GBC palette so you get a lot of green/pink/brown shinies or ones that are just slightly brighter/darker

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

PSWII60 posted:

I do, hop in the IRC channel #pokegoons. Crusader King is always looking for as many battles as possible later at night, and the rest of us are frequently up for a fight.

It kinda starts one way, then the other. It kinda sucks that prankster doesn't activate the first turn. But then you end up with a priority Destiny Bond.

Ugh, IRC is so weird and ugly. I guess i'll try it sometime.

What's the best megabanette set? I feel like taunt, disable and destiny bond are all so crucial but that only leaves room for one attack. Suckerpunch? Shadow Claw?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Ignite Memories posted:

Ugh, IRC is so weird and ugly. I guess i'll try it sometime.

What's the best megabanette set? I feel like taunt, disable and destiny bond are all so crucial but that only leaves room for one attack. Suckerpunch? Shadow Claw?

I just use Knock Off, Destiny Bond, Will O Wisp and Taunt. You can get away with Thunder wave over something, too.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Crawfish posted:

Wingull and Tailow give Speed EVs, not attack.
Btw, here's a list of all the good places to grind EVs.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

PSWII60 posted:

Crusader gives you fights for your life. Watch out for his conkledurr. That guy is a steam rolling beast! :ohdear:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Pokemon Get TV airs in an hour and 15 minutes and may show the game. Get yourself a TVTokyo stream and prepare for disappointment.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Dehry posted:

Pokemon Get TV airs in an hour and 15 minutes and may show the game. Get yourself a TVTokyo stream and prepare for disappointment.

I hope they show off Mega Plusle and Mega Minun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
what made mega-kangaskhan so good?

• Locked thread