Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Install Windows posted:

It's way easier to make a list of companies that don't do this.

Anyway:

Repeal all corporate law.

Just get rid of it all it exists as nothing more then a way for the rich to hide away their wealth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Robviously posted:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/rubio-visit-hampshire-weighs-2016-run-23651340

If that's gonna be their argument, I'd like to congratulate Mrs. Clinton on her win.

Edit: phone post fixin'
Are you saying the Republicans can't win elections if their arguments are bad?

edit: my father, an accountant in another life, always cautioned me about the term "tax evasion", since that's only for when you are breaking the law. If you're doing it legally it's called tax avoidance.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Robviously posted:

Mr. Rubio goes to New Hampshire.

If that's gonna be their argument, I'd like to congratulate Mrs. Clinton on her win.

Edit: phone post fixin'

To be fair, most republicans want to take the country back to an era that never really existed in the first place.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Are you saying the Republicans can't win elections if their arguments are bad?

Bad arguments are one thing, this is comically stupid. It's the equivalent of asking people if they want free money.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Robviously posted:

Bad arguments are one thing, this is comically stupid. It's the equivalent of asking people if they want free money.

Hillary wants to drag us back to those dark times when the economy was booming under a president with a D next to his name and we weren't jumping at our shadows thinking they might be terrorists. The GOP's worst nightmare.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

BUSH 2112 posted:

When I was 11 or 12 a girl whose parents were also huge libertarians saw me curiously eyeing up a copy of The Fountainhead that she was reading, and immediately handed it to me with no prompting. After that I openly identified as an Objectivist.

I know objectivists aren't shy about handing out Rand's books, but I can't figure out how they square it with their anti-charity position. Why don't they think that anyone who doesn't buy it on their own isn't deserving of the enlightenment it brings?

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

I had a week-long Objectivist phase before realizing that Objectivism was welcome in local churches. Then it suddenly clicked that Objectivism was Southern Baptist just-so stories without God. I also don't like Southerners much.

Other than that, I've never had a right-wing belief in my life. Being raised as a bad Catholic helped. Hell, I even remember starting some poo poo during the mock election that lead to teachers from the adjourning rooms coming into our class to restore order.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 11, 2014

Pope Fabulous XXIV
Aug 15, 2012
The most right-wing thing I've ever done was cry when Bill Clinton got elected. I was afraid I'd have to take mandatory gay training classes, and my already born baby brother would be aborted. I distinctly remember wailing "I don't want to be gay!" :qq:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Pope Fabulous XXIV posted:

The most right-wing thing I've ever done was cry when Bill Clinton got elected. I was afraid I'd have to take mandatory gay training classes, and my already born baby brother would be aborted. I distinctly remember wailing "I don't want to be gay!" :qq:

You mean you skipped the classes?

Pope Fabulous XXIV
Aug 15, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

You mean you skipped the classes?

No, I went, but my school was so underfunded I turned out bisexual.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Pope Fabulous XXIV posted:

No, I went, but my school was so underfunded I turned out bisexual.

Obama's America. :argh:

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Well, it looks like the derp is spreading out west...

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-utah-blm-bundy-protest-20140510-story.html

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/05/10/canyon-ride-tests-access-to-blm-land-in-utah/8947413/

LA Times posted:

That’s when one of Cliven Bundy's sons, Aamon Bundy, and several of his followers shouted out that the ride must go on to make a statement. “Let’s go down into that canyon,” he said. “That’s why we came here.”

One man called out: “Rosa Parks didn’t have a case until she sat in the front of the bus.” And another added: “The BLM has guns and mace and tasers and shackles, but we’ve got guns too!”

Then Bundy pulled out a pocket Constitution and addressed [San Juan County Commissioner] Lyman: “That canyon belongs to the people of San Juan County. You have every right to go in there. We thought you were going to head this group.”

But Lyman, dressed in jeans and an untucked blue dress shirt, still wasn’t convinced. Then Bundy made him mad. He said the politician was speaking “the language of weakness.”

“We are not speaking the language of weakness,” he shot back. "You are outsiders. I know the people here. There’s no language of weakness here.”

Behold the faces of are freedoms:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

nutranurse posted:

Obama's America. :argh:
Yeah, if only the schools were super underfunded then they would go right past bisexual and homosexual back around to heterosexual. That's how it works, right?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Not a single helmet in sight.

UberAaron
Feb 11, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
During the '88 election, our local newspaper had a mock vote for kids. I voted for Bush. When I told my very Democrat mom who I voted for, she turned white as a sheet.

I just wanted to see Dana Carvey keep doing his Bush impression.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

skaboomizzy posted:

Helmets, seat belts, drivers' licenses, firearm training...these are all the language of weakness.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Those are some big-rear end rascals.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Oh for gently caress's sake. I guess those rumors about Cliven Bundy having some kind of crazy rear end redneck messiah complex were pretty true.

edit: Never mind, it was some other idiot's idea. Whatever, go smash the long unopposed tyranny of the Bureau of loving Land Management.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

ThirdPartyView posted:

Ahahaha. This is all the editorializing that need ever be done on this poo poo.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

skaboomizzy posted:

I rode one of those once and found it to be scary as all hell and eminently deserving of protective gear, but whatever, OUR FREEDOMS.

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

ThirdPartyView posted:

We'll make so much money. "All-Terrain Rascals"! Rascals designed for even the most rugged Sam's Club Food Court. Rascals that'll support half a ton of Doughy American Freedom!

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
We've been beaten to the punch on this, sadly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejkmQffNYjk

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Nessus posted:

I'm curious, what's the advantage to Ireland or the Netherlands with this? Do they get to take a tax rake? I gather the Caymans charges banks a flat fee to operate, which produces huge amounts of money for a nation of a few tens of thousands - but Ireland and the Netherlands are quite large comparatively.

Given that Ireland has had some solvency issues, I'd guess not much in their case.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nessus posted:

I'm curious, what's the advantage to Ireland or the Netherlands with this? Do they get to take a tax rake? I gather the Caymans charges banks a flat fee to operate, which produces huge amounts of money for a nation of a few tens of thousands - but Ireland and the Netherlands are quite large comparatively.

The whole deal is that neither Ireland nor the Netherlands result in no tax, but they do result in much lesser tax. And the countries end up getting quite substantial tax revenue while not really having to provide any services to those companies since at most there's a few dozen guys at an office in the respective countries.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Install Windows posted:

The whole deal is that neither Ireland nor the Netherlands result in no tax, but they do result in much lesser tax. And the countries end up getting quite substantial tax revenue while not really having to provide any services to those companies since at most there's a few dozen guys at an office in the respective countries.

The issue is that Ireland still has crippling solvency and unemployment and poverty issues because, unlike they were led to believe, making their country a tax haven didn't actually bring any appreciable growth, just a bunch of financial sector growth that cripples the rest of the country.

E: this reminds me of the biggest hosed up lie about corporate tax hikes is that if we tax then too high they'll just leave to china or India or some nonsense. Has this ever happened in any appreciable way in a circumstance where it wasn't going to happen anyway?

Rexicon1 fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 11, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rexicon1 posted:

The issue is that Ireland still has crippling solvency and unemployment and poverty issues because, unlike they were led to believe, making their country a tax haven didn't actually bring any appreciable growth, just a bunch of financial sector growth that cripples the rest of the country.

Well yeah, that's what happens when your plan is to attempt to employ millions of people by inviting in companies with maybe 12 guys for a satellite office.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
So what are the Cayman's getting in return for being a tax shelter?

If its just a flat fee couldnt the US government just essentially offer them a deal where if they abolish their tax haven status the US gov't would massively increase their international aid package above and beyond what they're currently gaining from the rich?

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

There's a lot of tiny island countries out there, we can't bribe them all.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Money and it helps drive their tourism/hospitality industry.

Also it would be stupid to bribe the Caymans for that because businesses from all over the world use them. Why spend billions on the Cayman islands to make some random company pay taxes to Japan?

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 11, 2014

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I've spent time working in places like the BVI and the Caymans.
The countries get a lot more than a tiny slice of offshore money.

A lot of international businesses such as reinsurers and investment firms set up decent sized, relative to the population, offices on island employing local white collar workers. With populations in the tens of thousands, thousands of small offices hiring dozens of employees adds up.

And you have to remember that while there may not be taxes on investments or corporate/personal income tax, these tax havens often levy payroll taxes or other business taxes. Again, relative to these countries' budgets, it's a decent amount.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

^^^^^ Ahh ok, I wasn't sure exactly how much interaction there was with the country outside of some accounting tricks.

Install Windows posted:

Money and it helps drive their tourism/hospitality industry.

Also it would be stupid to bribe the Caymans for that because businesses from all over the world use them. Why spend billions on the Cayman islands to make some random company pay taxes to Japan?

Presumably because the taxes we end up collecting will be more than what we give them. If that's not the case then it's clearly a terrible deal.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

If its just a flat fee couldnt the US government just essentially offer them a deal where if they abolish their tax haven status the US gov't would massively increase their international aid package above and beyond what they're currently gaining from the rich?

Short answer is that this poo poo is really complicated. The US is one of the only countries in the world that has a worldwide taxation system instead of a territorial one. Also it has the highest statutory tax rate on corporations in the world and the largest amount of capital investment. This leads to all kind of fuckery.

I could literally write pages and pages on this topic and my speciality isn't even tax, it's corporate audit.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Good Citizen posted:

Short answer is that this poo poo is really complicated. The US is one of the only countries in the world that has a worldwide taxation system instead of a territorial one. Also it has the highest statutory tax rate on corporations in the world and the largest amount of capital investment. This leads to all kind of fuckery.

I could literally write pages and pages on this topic and my speciality isn't even tax, it's corporate audit.

Fair enough, just trying to come up with ideas outside of changing our tax code. I should probably just ask my family. They're all accountants of one type or another.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Fair enough, just trying to come up with ideas outside of changing our tax code. I should probably just ask my family. They're all accountants of one type or another.

The solutions are all within the tax code which means congress needs to act.

In short were hosed. Instead of money being transferred to public services they're being transferred to a lessor extent to accounting firms like mine. Great for me, horrible for 90% of the country

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Presumably because the taxes we end up collecting will be more than what we give them. If that's not the case then it's clearly a terrible deal.

How can we get enough taxes from our companies to pay off the Cayman Islands for every other countries' businesses there dude?

There's billions in yearly activities associated with the over a trillion dollars socked away from all over the planet.

Cracking down there could easily shift it all to Curaco or other commercial havens, leaving us holding the bag to prevent collapse of the Cayman economy.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Let's hope a Muslim terrorist organization finds a way to set up there then we'll be obliged to invade it and sunder it's infrastructure

Barring that? There's nothing we can feasibly do about tax havens.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

The solutions are all within the tax code which means congress needs to act.

In short were hosed. Instead of money being transferred to public services they're being transferred to a lessor extent to accounting firms like mine. Great for me, horrible for 90% of the country

Everything is hosed

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Good Citizen posted:

[...] the highest statutory tax rate on corporations in the world

But one of the lowest effective rates, right? Or does the answer to that depend on who you ask?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

moller posted:

But one of the lowest effective rates, right? Or does the answer to that depend on who you ask?

I don't know if we technically have the lowest effective rate. Probably not. If there was some way of weighing it against the access to capital then yeah, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
What do y'all make of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNfmqaZWNkI

The article the video is talking about :

http://time.com/87792/2014-midterm-elections-poll/

quote:

Democrats Face Worst Midterm Climate in 20 Years, Poll Says
Dan Hirschhorn @DanH_TIME May 5, 2014

A new Pew Research Center/USA Today poll finds that low approval ratings for President Obama as well as dissatisfaction with the economy and the health care reform law spell bad news for Democrats ahead of the 2014 midterm elections

Democrats hoping to hold the Senate and make gains in the House during this year’s midterm elections are going up against the worst political landscape they’ve faced in at least 20 years, according to a new poll.

• Locked thread