Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Hope they patch weapon durability sometime as the amount you lose from hitting corpses is insane. You lose like 1 durability for hitting a wall, then lose maybe 4-6 for hitting a corpse to the ground. Sorta explains that one time I skewed 3 royal knights in a doorway where my heide spear promptly vaporized there.

StashAugustine posted:

It's not the damage, my +7 bastard sword is just fine, but I'm in that bit of Iron Keep where they're in the hallways and I can't avoid them and they bypass my greatshield.

Both hallways are pretty manageable if you burn the turtles quick enough. Just remember to bait them asap, get as close as you can till they swing then roll back. Step forward as their swing completes and get a hit or two in. And try to keep them standing in the same position swinging. With a bastard sword you could just bait their swing, R2, roll back, R2 and repeat. Although you could probably get two R1 swings in if you position yourself well.

Drakes fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Genocyber posted:

I don't believe so. It does make sense since they give you a free +60 bleed to any weapon with bleed.

Still it would be nice if they were on something other than an enemy that only spawns during a boss encounter, like maybe an NPC that invades you and always drops the item. I miss Kirk, Knight of Thorns.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm going to laugh a lot if it turns out that there is no bug and these people all just used the statue in Majula to join the Champion Covenant despite its warnings.

Well, an employee said they were still loving around with online and voila, it magically worked today. But you guys are still jerks!!! It can't be the Champion Covenant if I'm in a completely different one!!!

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I wish I had recorded my attempts at PvP today, because they'd be good for a laugh or two. Generally I think of myself as mediocre, I win about as much as I lose, but today I've lost roughly 95% of the duels I've engaged in. I know that on my screen I'm rolling around dodging, swinging, guard-breaking, etc., but to my opponents I must just be turning around and grabbing my ankles, because I'm getting back-stabbed out of nowhere constantly. Putting on Gower's Ring just delays the inevitable and costs me souls. The only people that haven't backstabbed me today either one shotted me with Affinity or shoved a lightning infused Santier's into my face and immediately finished me off with a quick dose of a lightning Avelyn.

I have 40 vigor, and I'm wearing fully upgraded Drakekeeper's Armor, but it really isn't doing much good against lag and my general lack of skill. I'm generally dead before I get to do much of anything. I'd ask for advice, but I'm pretty sure the best advice is just to just put the controller down and walk away.

Maybe it's that I'm in a big-boy tier with 4 million souls (NG+), but don't have the big-boy skills to match. I miss going up against people that I could hit, at least a couple of times.

cerebral fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 11, 2014

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Tallgeese posted:

Using the Dark Sign does not increase your death counter when used. It seems to just be a fancy homeward bone that eats all your souls.

Thanks!

It was actually an idle question wondering how could I lose all my souls so Maughlin would give me the goofy armor without ruining my shot at the invisible weapon ring.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

Thanks!

It was actually an idle question wondering how could I lose all my souls so Maughlin would give me the goofy armor without ruining my shot at the invisible weapon ring.

You could just do that after you get the ring.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Always verify your death count by going offline and checking the death stone. It's per-character.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

cerebral posted:

I wish I had recorded my attempts at PvP today, because they'd be good for a laugh or two. Generally I think of myself as mediocre, I win about as much as I lose, but today I've lost roughly 95% of the duels I've engaged in. I know that on my screen I'm rolling around dodging, swinging, guard-breaking, etc., but to my opponents I must just be turning around and grabbing my ankles, because I'm getting back-stabbed out of nowhere constantly. Putting on Gower's Ring just delays the inevitable and costs me souls. The only people that haven't backstabbed me today either one shotted me with Affinity or shoved a lightning infused Santier's into my face and immediately finished me off with a quick dose of a lightning Avelyn.

I have 40 vigor, and I'm wearing fully upgraded Drakekeeper's Armor, but it really isn't doing much good against lag and my general lack of skill. I'm generally dead before I get to do much of anything. I'd ask for advice, but I'm pretty sure the best advice is just to just put the controller down and walk away.

Maybe it's that I'm in a big-boy tier with 4 million souls (NG+), but don't have the big-boy skills to match. I miss going up against people that I could hit, at least a couple of times.

I don't know, i've had the opposite experience today. I'm all around pretty mediocre too, but i've won 95% of my duels at iron keep. I'm at 9m SM too.

Also illustrates how the SM system is dumb, total of ~2.5 hours of PvP and my SM went up from 7m to now its tickling 10m.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Mzbundifund posted:

Thanks!

Just kill stuff until your souls are divisible by 10 then buy a lot of arrows.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Tallgeese posted:

Always verify your death count by going offline and checking the death stone. It's per-character.

Oh of course, I had forgotten all about the death stone. Didn't realize it gave me my character total if checked offline.

Genocyber posted:

You could just do that after you get the ring.

I know, but I wanted to play some Fashion Souls along the way.

I just blew attempt #7 by duffing the drop down the dang Majula pit on my way to the stupid Gutter.

Ronnz
Mar 6, 2010
So I was just fighting the Looking Glass Knight and I still had the game kinda quiet because I was talking to a friend on teamspeak earlier.

Turns out his lightning attacks are played at full volume, ignoring the sound options completely. :v:

Jesus that made me jump.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I wish they'd make jumping not require pressing in the stick. The amount of times I line up and then end up hitting a weird angle because the press moves the stick so I die is annoying

Ronnz
Mar 6, 2010

Jose posted:

I wish they'd make jumping not require pressing in the stick. The amount of times I line up and then end up hitting a weird angle because the press moves the stick so I die is annoying

You can change jumping to the way it was in DS1 in the options menu.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
The bell covenant never ceases to be hilarious. I had a host drop down and angle his back to a wall 4x, I backstabbed him each time but he was actually gaining health because I'm using +10 caestus. I guess that's what I get for not using a giant gently caress-off sword or something. I do miss backstabs being able to instantly cancel the estus chugging animation like in Dark Souls.

Ran into my first dark magic spammer today, and surprisingly my uninfused +4 transgressor shield still blocked virtually all damage, I ate multiple dark beads losing barely a sliver of health. Eventually the guy decided to roll behind me and try to cast, the best of ideas. Somehow despite constant poise-breakage and dying to my barrage of my punches he was able to get one cast off.

Is it just lag that allows things like that to happen? In PVE I know if I try to chug estus and get hit before drinking it cancels the animation and I get no heals.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Mzbundifund posted:

Thanks!

Just run off a cliff and collect your souls after.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
What exactly is the use of Ring of the Dead?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Tabletops posted:

Just run off a cliff and collect your souls after.
They're explicitly trying not to die.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

keyframe posted:

Stay pretty.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
What's the best shield in the game that can still parry? Strength build.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Elysiume posted:

Just kill stuff until your souls are divisible by 10 then buy a lot of arrows.

Don't you have to be hollow to get him to hand you that armor set?

Lagonazer
Jan 3, 2012

Come here friends.
Hug me! Oh yeah. Hug me.

The Joe Man posted:

What's the best shield in the game that can still parry? Strength build.

Drangleic and Royal Kite shields are good 100% physical reduction that you can get early on. Drakekeeper's Shield is very good, but you'll have to grab it as a drop at Dragon Shrine.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I thought you just had to have 0 souls. Wouldn't a curse jar and buying arrows work in that case?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Manatee Cannon posted:

You just need 0 souls

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Being cursed allows you to hollow without dying.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Where do you go to get through Shaded Woods? I'm at the 3rd bonfire and killed all of the things with shields and axes but can't find a path

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Ronnz posted:

So I was just fighting the Looking Glass Knight and I still had the game kinda quiet because I was talking to a friend on teamspeak earlier.

Turns out his lightning attacks are played at full volume, ignoring the sound options completely. :v:

Jesus that made me jump.

That scared the poo poo out of me, and then again when I thought I was safe by disabling sound effects.

Lagonazer
Jan 3, 2012

Come here friends.
Hug me! Oh yeah. Hug me.

Jose posted:

Where do you go to get through Shaded Woods? I'm at the 3rd bonfire and killed all of the things with shields and axes but can't find a path

If you go along the right side past a few Lion Clan warriors and the hidden floor hole, there should be a structure on the left you can go through. Then you should be going up a hill to the boss.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

keyframe posted:

A niche use, but if you are summoning people for pvp while hollow, you risk getting Soul Appeased if they know you are hollow.

Mind you, you could just dodge the fairly obvious spell. I died to it the first time thinking it was a heal, and rushing into the AoE.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 09:21 on May 11, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fucks sake Lucatiel it would REALLY HELP if you didnt bounce off the door and fall into the lava when I'm trying to fight a GIANT rear end DEMON.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
So you can parry the Majula pigs

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Nahxela posted:

Do they get a cute vulnerable pose when you parry them? :3

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Nahxela posted:

:allears: This is beautiful.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

MohShuvuu posted:

Do they get a cute vulnerable pose when you parry them? :3
Yeah, they lay flat on the ground. You can also parry the slightly bigger pigs in Tseldora. Including the brown tusked pigs.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Why are there so many bloodstains on the path to the Throne of Want? :psyduck:

Saw some pretty good messages there though. "Keep moving, fatty" :btroll:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Is pvp forced at the doors of pharros? I got summoned as a grey spirit there. Kind of annoying that the person healed after I hit him with a spell and he stopped taking damage so I switched to resonant soul which didn't hurt him either

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
You can also parry Mastodons and spiders.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jose posted:

Is pvp forced at the doors of pharros? I got summoned as a grey spirit there. Kind of annoying that the person healed after I hit him with a spell and he stopped taking damage so I switched to resonant soul which didn't hurt him either

Yes, the rat covenant pulls players going through the Doors of Pharros and Grave of Saints to invade their world. The enemies work with the host against you and there are a ton of traps. It's probably the biggest dick move covenant but also the one that you lose the least in being forced to deal with. You can still just run past to the fog door to escape if you can manage it.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

404notfound posted:

Why are there so many bloodstains on the path to the Throne of Want? :psyduck:

Saw some pretty good messages there though. "Keep moving, fatty" :btroll:
Yeah I put the same message down as well as "stamina loss ahead, try horse"

The bloodstains are people walking off while changing rings/equipment as they go. It's a long walk, and judging by your average DS bloodstain it's really not surprising.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Or Ornsteins ring.

Besides, I always took the whole "Time and space distortion" thing as an explanation for how the multiplayer in DS1 worked. It wasn't intended as an easy fix for any and all plot holes.

Except that entire thing is pretty essential to the whole game, Solaire, the guy who drops you the key corpse, none of them are in the same version of the world you are, except when they cross over. They are the Chosen Undead, so are you, so am I, so is everyone else who plays the game, and that's important to Frampt/Gwyndolin's plan, to finally find the undead who is powerful enough to kill Gwyn, because only someone strong enough to kill him would be powerful enough to link the flames and burn for hundreds of years until it happens over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Except that entire thing is pretty essential to the whole game, Solaire, the guy who drops you the key corpse, none of them are in the same version of the world you are, except when they cross over. They are the Chosen Undead, so are you, so am I, so is everyone else who plays the game, and that's important to Frampt/Gwyndolin's plan, to finally find the undead who is powerful enough to kill Gwyn, because only someone strong enough to kill him would be powerful enough to link the flames and burn for hundreds of years until it happens over again.

I don't get this line of thought. You can only cross over while hollow in Dark Souls 1. They're not glowing white, orange, or red. They're actually physically in your world, alive, not hopping from theirs to yours. They aren't the chosen undead, they're everyone else. The people who play the game are the chosen undead and the NPCs are the other inhabitants of Lordran/Drangleic.