Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

david... posted:

I'm a big fan of Creightons, he and Benhart both have stags on their armour too so they're clearly followers of the true king Stannis Baratheon.

What with that emblem, wearing Creighton's can make it so like you and Benhart are always good ol' teammates. :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Artificer posted:

Backstabs only afaik.

Does that mean you could use the jester robes instead of that one ring to cheese the ancient dragon?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ignimbrite posted:

Does that mean you could use the jester robes instead of that one ring to cheese the ancient dragon?

No. The Jester armor nullifies crits specifically, Gower's ring nullifies all damage that comes from behind you.

edit: Here is what I am wearing now, it's a slight variation on what that other cool guy posted on the last page:

I like this combination a lot.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:02 on May 11, 2014

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Aw, dang. That would have been interesting to test, if I had not recently NG+ed :v:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
So what I took from last night's boss discussion is that they need to reverse the Lost Sinner nerf.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Except that entire thing is pretty essential to the whole game, Solaire, the guy who drops you the key corpse, none of them are in the same version of the world you are, except when they cross over. They are the Chosen Undead, so are you, so am I, so is everyone else who plays the game, and that's important to Frampt/Gwyndolin's plan, to finally find the undead who is powerful enough to kill Gwyn, because only someone strong enough to kill him would be powerful enough to link the flames and burn for hundreds of years until it happens over again.

I don't really understand what you're trying to say. All the NPCs and phantoms in DS1 are there because different worlds can collide and people can cross over, sometimes physically in the case of important characters and more often as phantoms. The flow of time thing explains why you can help a guy in a different world kill a boss you already killed in yours or why you can summon Tarkus and later find his stuff on a corpse. It was never even hinted at that your Lordran might be hundreds of years in the past or the future compared to other people's Lordran. I also never got the impression that Frampt was aware of the effort of thousands of people playing the game and trying to link the fire.

The only real time travel you do is by being forcefully dragged into the past by Manus. I can't think of a NPC phantom that outright comes form "the past", the timelines are all very close together.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I still kinda think Solaire and Oscar are two knights from widely different time periods in the country of Astora, given their respective styles of armor and the periods of real-life history they were in use during.

Dark Souls 2 has sort of the same thing going on with Mirrah. Some people wear really old-style mail and brigandines that in their descriptions are said to be from Mirrah, but then you have Lucatiel and her ultra-renaissance swashbuckler look going.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I just found out something interesting, to me at least, about the chariot boss fight. You can damage it without having to hit the switch, and if you do enough damage it gets an alternate death animation.

Made me laugh at least.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Nuebot posted:

So I just found out something interesting, to me at least, about the chariot boss fight. You can damage it without having to hit the switch, and if you do enough damage it gets an alternate death animation.

This is one of those weird rumor things that turned out to be true.

You know what isn't true? That a dual-washing pole ghost appears in the Shaded Woods when you clear out all the ghostly bandits.

Took a zweihander to all those jerks and ran around for a while just to see if anything did happen, but other than a giggle-jar, there's jack and squat to be found other than the treasure.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Honestly I just thought there were infinite invisible mens because I tried clearing them all out once and got bored after it started looking like an unending stream of them. Did anything ever come out of the whole blue flames on NG+10? I'm a nut for all those weird rumor things and love finding out if any of them ever turn out true.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mazed posted:

You know what isn't true? That a dual-washing pole ghost appears in the Shaded Woods when you clear out all the ghostly bandits.

Took a zweihander to all those jerks and ran around for a while just to see if anything did happen, but other than a giggle-jar, there's jack and squat to be found other than the treasure.

Generally if a rumor involves "do this hard and unfeasible thing X times! I have no proof just trust me!" it's a 'that kid' schoolyard rumor someone came up with on 4chan.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:09 on May 11, 2014

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Yeah but it is true that the flames turn blue. But most likely it just means nothing. Some people (the same people who probably hoped the pendant unlocked some secret in the first game I bet) think there's something to that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It means the bonfire has reached the maximum difficulty it can go to if I had to guess. If the game works like DS1, after a while of NG+s the enemy health and damage stops ballooning and evens out.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Man, after all the talk about how tough Darklurker is, I was expecting an actual fight. Instead, he went down like a chump to four Sunlight Spear casts and a single GLS. He didn't even get to split in two.

So I guess pro Darklurker strat for casters: stay at range to bait him into flying up, then run under him and just kill him in five seconds.

I was also expecting the area he was in to be more like the actual chasm you fight 4K in, not just some reasonably-well-lit and completely bland/nondescript cave. :confused:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Honestly I just thought there were infinite invisible mens because I tried clearing them all out once and got bored after it started looking like an unending stream of them. Did anything ever come out of the whole blue flames on NG+10? I'm a nut for all those weird rumor things and love finding out if any of them ever turn out true.

There's actually about 12 of them total, and weapons with wide arcs wreck their ghostly asses.

Might have more or different moves on NG+, though.

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Man, after all the talk about how tough Darklurker is, I was expecting an actual fight. Instead, he went down like a chump to four Sunlight Spear casts and a single GLS. He didn't even get to split in two.

So I guess pro Darklurker strat for casters: stay at range to bait him into flying up, then run under him and just kill him in five seconds.

I was also expecting the area he was in to be more like the actual chasm you fight 4K in, not just some reasonably-well-lit and completely bland/nondescript cave. :confused:

If you use sunlight spear, every boss is easy in the game. The hardest enemy you'll face with that spell is the lion warriors.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Is it me, or are are the attacks of the mole-dog things in the Gutter broken? They can damage me even if I stun-lock them or when I clearly dodge their attack.
I guess the game has them already deal damage during the wind up part of the attack animation?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Raygereio posted:

Is it me, or are are the attacks of the mole-dog things in the Gutter broken? They can damage me even if I stun-lock them or when I clearly dodge their attack.
I guess the game has them already deal damage during the wind up part of the attack animation?

Yeah, dogs in general hit before their animation plays out. It's very annoying.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I started the game with a balance build putting most stats to 20 and using a Claymore/Mastodon GS before getting bored, then went a dex build with 40 vigor, 40 dex, and placing a few stats into things like strength and the stamina one and powerstancing rapiers which brought me to the endgame, Should I continue with my rapiers or should I respec into something else that may be cool like one of the magics? I don't want to hit NG+ until I also manage to find all the areas/bonfires I missed and maybe also farm some specific items.

I'm currently level 123 and I'm a Deprived if that matters.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't remember the game that well. :shrug: Seems weirdly inconsistent at best then.

It's almost like it's a throaway line to half-assedly justify multiplayer lorewise that was never really meant to be thought about too hard.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Oh cool the poison statues in black gulch shoot you even if you're an invader.

I'm pretty bad at this game.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 11, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Either there's a hack out there that lets you forcefully disconnect invaders, or having a host alt-F4 gives the invader a "you've lost connection to Steam" error message when it shouldn't, because I've just had a couple of bellbro invasions where I suspiciously "lost connection to Steam" despite still being online, just as I was killing the host. :tinfoil:

e; and just now I invaded a host where somehow the other bellbro showed up as a host rather than as a grey phantom until we'd defeated the host's summoned shade. :psyduck:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 11, 2014

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Alan Smithee posted:

I know you can parry spells sight the golden wing shield

You could parry spells with anything in DS1, too. It gave you some damage reduction and had you eat a stamina hit, it was better to just roll out of the way. I have to admit, though - it's pretty loving cool to stand still and knock the spell away with your kickin' rad anime ninja skillz

(lag makes parrying almost impossible, I think PvP would be a lot different if you could parry reliably :smith:)

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Heliosicle posted:

I'm at 4.5M and haven't had any problem finding sunbros or normal people to summon for boss fights in NG+, in Lost Bastille at the moment. Constant invasions by cops are a bit annoying, but its taught me to always be ready for an invasion every 5/10 minutes.

I was wondering - do cops invade a specific area or do they just invade any suitable sinner, wherever they are?

cops can invaded you from whereever to whereever you are in the world, there aint no escape!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Red Crown posted:

You could parry spells with anything in DS1, too. It gave you some damage reduction and had you eat a stamina hit, it was better to just roll out of the way. I have to admit, though - it's pretty loving cool to stand still and knock the spell away with your kickin' rad anime ninja skillz

(lag makes parrying almost impossible, I think PvP would be a lot different if you could parry reliably :smith:)

In Dark Souls 2, parrying spells with certain shields completely negates them and reflects them back at the caster. Shields capable of this will mention it in the description. I tried to make use of it, but parrying spells isn't easy. A lot of them have really wonky hitboxes. With enemies you can study their movements to get a feel for when you need to parry, but with spells it comes down purely to projectiles travel speed. However, models don't accurately reflect the actual hitbox so parrying them is difficult.

I can parry basically anything in PvE but don't even bother trying to parry in PvP because as you mentioned, lag makes it impossible. Parrying incorrectly leaves you totally exposed so it seems like a great way to get yourself killed.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I like this combination a lot.

I nearly went with that, it's pretty cool. I spent a lot of time using the Heide Knight helmet you find behind the Dragonslayer. The plume on it's red, so it goes with everything else as well.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
edit: Never mind, figured it out.

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Raygereio posted:

I never had trouble with them, personally, but that reminds me that the spider people in Brightstone Cove would squeeze in an extra attack when I killed them. I don't even remember seeing an animation for it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

y_3 posted:

I never had trouble with them, personally, but that reminds me that the spider people in Brightstone Cove would squeeze in an extra attack when I killed them. I don't even remember seeing an animation for it.
Same here, but eventually I realized that it's because they have this swing with a really slow and long windup that tends to trigger just as you throw a few swings at them. When you know about it and circle a bit for your last strike, it doesn't hit you.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Alva's truly looks glorious and has great armor/weight. Although the Lleywellyn gauntlets are a lot better and also fit in with the look, so that's what I'm using. If only my black hood was a burgandy hood :eng99:

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

keyframe posted:

What exactly is the use of Ring of the Dead?

I heard stuff like holy water and the Soul Appease miracle can harm you when you are hollow, so slapping on that ring when invaded might spare you from folks trying it on you.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Does the Mad Warrior stop respawning if you kill it enough times?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Does the Mad Warrior stop respawning if you kill it enough times?

I believe it gets extincted as normal.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

(pre-)sunbroing is funny. You get summoned to all kinds of characters. I think this is my fave today. The dude was rocking dualwield cestus

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I remember that there was some sort of formula or something to calculate whether a weapon would do more or less damage in elemental or normal type, because it isn't a matter of calculating the sum between split normal+elemental x full normal. Anybody knows what I am talking about?

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Internet Kraken posted:

In Dark Souls 2, parrying spells with certain shields completely negates them and reflects them back at the caster. Shields capable of this will mention it in the description. I tried to make use of it, but parrying spells isn't easy. A lot of them have really wonky hitboxes. With enemies you can study their movements to get a feel for when you need to parry, but with spells it comes down purely to projectiles travel speed. However, models don't accurately reflect the actual hitbox so parrying them is difficult.

I can parry basically anything in PvE but don't even bother trying to parry in PvP because as you mentioned, lag makes it impossible. Parrying incorrectly leaves you totally exposed so it seems like a great way to get yourself killed.

Spell parry doesn't reflect the spell in PvP but I'm pretty sure it works in PVE (I practiced a bunch in Amana when it first came out and I thought they were bouncing but I could be misremembering).

Regular PvP parrying is only a little harder than DS1, it's just higher risk and higher reward since if you miss you have to eat a whole stunlock and if you hit it you probably have a KO. On the other hand the recovery for everything but parry shields is fast enough that you're probably not going to get BSed for a miss.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

If you're parrying in PVP pick up any scimitar (but preferably the monastery scimitar unless they patch it). Parrying just got 2x easier.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

Always verify your death count by going offline and checking the death stone. It's per-character.

God for my first character it's 400+.

For my second character who just beat Nashandra it's 31 and I PvP'd a lot :smug:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Alright, time to punch everything to death. What was the minimum for dual wielding Caesti again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Oh man, I finally got around to playing demon's souls after dark souls 1 and 2 and everything feels so easy! No hidden bonfire shenanigans, spears hit a mile away, shield blocks barely take pixels from your stamina bar (that fills up in 2 seconds). Not to mention the basically infinite MP with cheap as hell spices and mana regen from the get go if you choose the royalty class.