Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
Cassius Marsh
I'm excited about the prospects of having a potential psychopath on the Seahawks since so far everyone else seems like an OK guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzSRcMvRJwE
Will he be the new Suh? How many of his dozens of facemasking calls will be trying to gouge out the other persons eyes? How will Rams games be when someone on the Seahawks actually wants to fight also?
I asked my friend who occasionally announces at UCLA games to grade and he gave rave reviews.
Fun Grade: A++++

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Bears signed a dude named Ego, a quarterback named Fales, a guy who allegedly attacked his pregnant girlfriend, and a hulking punter out of Tecmo Super Bowl. gently caress yeah.

Yup. Ready to lose the NFC North again? I hope you're ready.
Can't wait to see Ha Ha pick off Cutler and your dorky new backup QB sighing on the bench :allears:

I love this loving division and I hate every god drat one of you, it's so great :allears:

(except Jared Allen and AD, you guys own and should come to Green Bay)

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 11, 2014

Iron Clad Lou
Feb 12, 2008

Minnesota Vikings:

OLB Anthony Barr - Round 1, Pick 9 (9) A+
gently caress haters; he's a freak.

QB Teddy Bridgewater - Round 1, Pick 32 (32) A+
Best QB in the draft.

DE Scott Crichton - Round 3, Pick 8 (72) A
"Me and Anthony are going to create havoc."

RB Jerik McKinnon - Round 3, Pick 32 (96) B-
:siren: Joe Webb 2.0 :siren:

OL David Yankey - Round 5, pick 5 (145) A+
Not Charlie Johnson.

CB/S Antone Exum - Round 6, Pick 6 (182) A
He's made of glass but hits like a wrecking ball: http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=&gif=GleefulRectangularGodwit

I'm not going to pretend to know anything about these guys but A for more defense:

CB Kendeall James - Round 6, Pick 8 (184)
DT Shamar Stephen - Round 7, Pick 5 (220)
LB Brandon Watts - Round 7, Pick 8 (223)
CB Jabari Price- Round 7, Pick 10 (225)

Overall: A

Iron Clad Lou fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 11, 2014

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Eh, as soon as I looked up and read more about Barr he loving scared me. I hope he's benched or something for the Packers games because jesus christ, no LB should be that loving fast. Go away, seriously, that dude is scary. I can't help but imagine him doing horrible things to Lacy and, no no no just go away.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

BlindSite posted:

Draft grades this early are a little silly so I'll just comment:

Round 1 28 overall Kelvin Benjamin WR Florida St
This was a polarising pick for a lot of people. Most weren't big fans, even ardent Panthers fans. I love this pick for the team in its current incarnation. The Panthers have got plenty of short area receivers on the roster who'll be able to do that job effectively. What they were lacking was a redzone target who could get deep and help with chunk yardage plays. Yeah he's inconsistent and inexperienced but the coaches believe he's good enough at this stage to at least stop the opposition from stacking the box and to contribute in some measure, even if not as a true number one. Probably won't know how good he'll be till 2015 but I like the pick.

Tre Boston SS North Carolina
I fuckin' hated this pick there were other guys there who could've contributed more to the secondary. He's a listed as a SS but he's a bit of a tweener, Rivera seems to like this type of player though, he polished some turds last year who came in as UDFA safeties and big corners into players. I'm going to guess they know what they're doing since the college is just down the road from the scouts, but I still thought it was a bit of a waste.

Bene Benwikere CB San Jose St
The Panthers seemed very high on this kid (they traded up to get him) and I can understand why. He's one of those prospects who can play any secondary position (and has) and is capable of reading the offense very quickly, one of those "always around the ball", "team first" dudes that coaches jerk off over. This one is likely a Rivera pick as he loves him some versatile DBs who seem to do well despite not having marquee triangle numbers. His poor tackling is a bit of a worry but from all reports he's very much a coachable player who'd benefit from a scheme that can cover his weaknesses.

I can't imagine there is a team which has has less success than the Panthers at drafting and developing wide receivers. I hope this breaks the trend.

When it comes to the defensive backfield I agree with you, Rivera gets the benefit of the doubt. He took guys who were practically out of the league and shined them up enough they got multiyear contracts with other teams. I trust the staff fully in that area of the game.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I actually thought the Kelvin Benjamin pick was absolutely perfect for the Panthers. Maybe I'm wrong, I won't even claim to be some kind of expert on the Panthers because I don't follow the team that much, but AFAIK you've got no real receiving threat now that Steve Smith is gone. This guy is loving HUGE and I mean really really loving HUGE. He's bigger than loving Megatron and can reach to grab Cam's occasional moonballs. He's a huge kid, he can run, he can catch, he can throw DBs and get yards after the catch.

This gigantic motherfucker is EXACTLY what Cam needs. Cam needs a guy who can grab his moonballs and the team needs someone who can truck the gently caress out of DBs. This guy can do that. Jesus christ, the dude outweighs most DBs by at least 40 pounds. (e: he's what, 250, jesus loving christfuck) All he has to do is catch the ball and plays will happen just because who the gently caress is gonna tackle him easily? I mean, poo poo. Most DBs don't even tackle worth a gently caress anyway. They lead with their shoulders/arms and crunch into a guy. That poo poo won't work on this dude.

Hell, if Ha Ha hadn't dropped to 21, I'd wish the Packers got Kelvin. That big rear end motherfucker running through NFCN secondaries would have me laughing my balls off forever. Aside from Sammy Watkins, Benjamin was my favorite WR in this whole draft just because holy loving poo poo.

Sorry for the big stupid effortpost but I really think this guy will be special in the NFL and I really wanted him for my team. I hope he kicks a whole lot of loving rear end.

e2: gently caress, we have to play against this guy this year. gently caress. I hope Ha Ha is awesome and Hayward is healthy. We're gonna need a loving army to stop this guy. Ugh.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 11, 2014

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles
Let me do the Raiders draft because it's been one of the best ones on paper in recent history.

Round 1, Pick 5 (5) Khalil Mack OLB 6'3" 251 Buffalo

Very good pickup that has potential to be the face of that defense for many years to come. Plays with violence and reckless abandon combined with discipline and smarts. Potential Demarcus Ware/Shawne Merriman type impact player. Dennis Allen said he Mack shares a lot of similarities with Von Miller who he coached in Denver. Gives the Raiders the freedom to run a hybrid 4-3/3-4 and pairs Sio Moore with a potential bookend LB for years. Team leader with great character. This is the kid that stayed late cleaning up the Buffalo locker room after games when everyone already left the facility despite being a team captain and team star. Fills a huge need as the Raiders were still missing big sack potential off the edge. Beautiful. A+

Round 2, Pick 4 (36) Derek Carr QB 6'2" 214 Fresno St.

Let me mention that I was never a fan of this guy. Not sure if it's the mental connotation to his lovely brother or the pass happy Fresno system that rarely utilized more than 1 step drops. Good value as many had him slotted in the first. Very accurate with a cannon arm. Grew up in a family of Raiders fans. Married with a kid at a young age, a vocal leader and mature. Fell in an opportune position where he can sit for a year or two behind Schaub and McGloin. I went back and looked at some of his game film since we drafted him and it's not as bad as I thought. Despite locking his eyes on the first receiver almost all the time, the kid has the ability to make all the throws with pin-point accuracy. God help him when he senses pressure. Thank god we revamped our offensive line though. Right now a solid B.

Round 3, Pick 17 (81) (From Dolphins) Gabe Jackson OG 6'3" 336 Mississippi St

Love, love, love this pick. A brick shithouse guard is the best type of guard. Despite being a phone booth (6'3, 340 lbs), he has the foot quickness and smarts to play with technique and not just strength. When it comes to strength, he's a bowling ball. Has the potential to come in and start at LG for the next 10-12 years. Will benefit from playing under offensive line guru, Sparano. Can't rave enough about this kid's technique. Very good at turning defensive players away from running lanes. Huge upgrade at LG. Has potential to be Larry Warford from day 1. A+

Round 4, Pick 7 (107) Justin Ellis DT 6'1" 334 Louisiana Tech

Great pick and great value here. One of the main things the Oakland defense was missing was a big boy NT behind Pat Sims who can take over in a year or two. Despite weight issues (playing weight ranges from 335 lbs to 380 lbs), he has a tremendous first step and anchor strength. Simply does not move backwards on plays despite being double teamed. Gives the Raiders another piece for the 4-3/3-4 hybrid. Reggie likes his players country strong and he certainly fits the criteria. Very smart and down to earth kid as well. A

Round 4, Pick 16 (116) (From Dolphins) Keith McGill CB 6'3" 211 Utah

Big corner in the Seahawks mold. Moved from safety to corner with no problem. Missed 2012 with a shoulder injury which affected his draft stock. Very athletic and fast despite a big frame. Great at bump and run and man coverage. Long arms and adept at locating the ball in the air. Came from the same program at Utah that produced the Chiefs' Sean Smith. Character concerns with a DUI and maturity issues 2-3 years ago. Had a daughter who apparently made him turn his life around. Reggie likes to take chances on character concerns as evidenced by DT Stacy McGee we took last year who turned into a solid rotational guy who might win the starting job this year. I like this pick. A

Round 7, Pick 4 (219) Travis Carrie CB 6'0" 206 Ohio

Decent cover corner with beefy size. Eager in run support. Very fast with elite athleticism. Adept at bump and run and locating the ball in mid air. Has punt return experience and could develop into a great gunner opposite Taiwan Jones. Big injury concerns with a shoulder injury in 2012 and a history of concussions. The Raiders have little depth and their 7th round picks have the potential of sticking. Might try him at safety and hopefully he kicks Brandian Ross of the team. B

Round 7, Pick 20 (235) (From Cardinals) Shelby Harris DE 6'2" 288 Illinois St.

Another guy with character concerns. Dismissed from two colleges due to character issues. Raiders made their due diligence and think he turned his life around. Seems embarrassed of his past behavior and wants to turn his life around. Nice size and explosion off the snap. Could project as a 3-4 DE and rotation guy. I like the Raiders approach in taking guys with character concerns who slid but could be 3-4th round picks. B

Round 7, Pick 32 (247) (From Seahawks) Jonathan Dowling SS 6'3" 190 Western Kentucky
Love this pick. Projected 4-5th rounder who slid due to character concerns. There are concerns he's uncoachable and far up his own rear end. I'm willing to trust Reggie since he's been bringing in nothing but team guys and has been a good judge of character. Potential to turn into a playmaker at FS with 9 INTs and 8 FFs in the past two years. Long rangy dude with long arms and room to gain size on his frame. Another great coverage guy who could contribute in the nickel. He's the closest to starting potential out of our 7th round picks. A

Good job Reggie and DA. I'm excited to see who we bring in as our UDFA since the Raiders did some of their best scouting work in that department the past few years.

Overall: A. Great draft with a lot of pieces for the future. I like Reggie McKenzie's approach of getting bigger on the line and in the backfield. I also like bringing in sliders with character concerns into a team atmosphere with leaders like Tuck, Kevin Burnett and Charles Woodson.

Toymachine fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 11, 2014

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
San Diego Chargers

Round 1: 25th Overall: Jason Verrett, CB, TCU Fills an immediate need on the league's worst pass defense last year. A bit short, but very athletic and plays bigger than he is. Will probably start out in the nickel, but I have no doubt that he'll be a starting CB by the end of the year. And he's the guy I've been wanting for months. A.

Round 2: 50th Overall: Jerry Attoahcu, OLB, GaTech Love this pick. With Jarrett Johnson and Dwight Freeney on their last legs, and Melvin Ingram up and coming, Attoachu will slide into the opposite OLB spot. He's got great speed and after watching some highlights of him at GT, looks like a beast of a pass rusher. I love our LB crew, all young players with Butler and Teo at the ILB spots, and Melvin Ingram and Attoachu at the OLB spots. A.

Round 3: 89th Overall: Chris Watt, OG, Notre Dame Depth along the OL and probably our solution to the RG spot, once the front office realizes how loving terrible Jeromy Clary is. Excited to see how he's paired with DJ Fluker, as both of them are road grader run blockers. I expect a lot of runs to the right this year from Mathews and Brown. B.

Round 5: 165th Overall: Ryan Carrethers, Arkansas State A true NT go into the rotation along the DL. Will most likely back up Sean Lissemore this year, but has shown the ability to stop the run and take up a double team. Not a pass rusher, but won't be asked to be. Another good pick in a position of need. B.

Round 6: 201st Overall: Marion Grice, RB, Arizona State Kind of a head scratcher. I wasn't overly impressed with him at ASU, and the Chargers already have a crowded backfield. Probably a practice squad candidate. C-

Round 7: 240th Overall: Tevin Reese, WR, Baylor Could be a good pick. We needed another WR, but this guy is tiny tiny tiny. He weighs like 160, but he's an absolute burner. He's gonna have to put on some weight, but I guess maybe he could be a return man, or a gunner? It's the 7th round, who cares. C+

Overall: B. We only had six picks, but I think the front office did as much as they could to fill some positions of need with those picks. I absolutely love the first two picks, and the Carrethers pick for the DL, I'm very happy with. Solid draft, if not exciting or spectacular.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
In my mind the Rams and Vikings have had two back to back amazing drafts. Landing Bridgewater and a pass rush could lead to Minnesota becoming immediate contenders.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
Minnesota Vikings:

Anthony Barr: Very mixed feelings. Developmental prospect who has only played LB for 2 years. Huge and extremely agile with decent speed but poor strength. Pass rusher was a huge need and he was the best prospect available, but he's just such an odd mix of skills and measurables. I have a feeling he will either be tremendous or a complete bust.

B

Teddy Bridgewater: I consider him the best QB in the draft and would have been happy if we took him at #8. Will be a huge improvement over anyone the Vikings have seen since Favre's good year. Happy to have a relative pocket passer back, so sick of poor scrambling QBs.

A+

Scott Crichton: Big DE who forces a shitload of fumbles. Seems like a decent player but not sure what we will do with him as he apparently compares to Brian Robison, who is already a Viking, and we just signed Everson Griffin to a significant contract.

C

Jerick McKinnon: Interesting player. Nice measurables as a backup for AP, which we need now that Gerhart is gone. Has some QB experience as well, could be good for trick plays or special teams.

B

David Yankey: Awesome pick. Might be able to start right away. Huge value.

A+

Antone Exum: Solid looking player at position of need.

B

Kendall James: Tiny CB, could be good for covering slot guys but seems limited overall.

B

Shamar Stephen: Big athletic DT who apparently is kind of stupid as per his draft profile. Rotational player at best with Floyd and Joseph. Seems like a wasted pick to me.

D

Brandon Watts: Small, fast linebacker. Probably a good special teams guy, potentially nickle LB.

B

Jabari Price: Apparently a Winfield-esque corner. Beast in run support (159 tackles last 2 years) but not great in coverage. Who knows?

C

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

The Puppy Bowl posted:

In my mind the Rams and Vikings have had two back to back amazing drafts. Landing Bridgewater and a pass rush could lead to Minnesota becoming immediate contenders.

I'd say okay on the Vikings - I'm really not sold on Bridgewater, but jesus christ the Rams. They have the best DL in football and an amazing OL as well. They play in the toughest division in the league and I still think they're going to make an impact if Bradford is healthy. Man, that's a nasty nasty team.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

:mufasa:

The Lions won free agency. The Lions won the draft. The Lions will beat the other NFC North teams again. The Lions will win the NFC North point differential battle again. The Lions will get contributions from their newest players and existing players that had been forgotten. The Lions will not be stopped. Dream on, Lions, dream on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SljFKRsIH2g

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

I didn't make any arguments against people that watch college football? I stated my opinions on the holes that the Raiders had coming into the draft and that they got players that filled those holes.

I was talking about It's Miller Time, who was in the process of doing just that. You're cool.

Oh but gently caress the raiders.

Not even sure why.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Every teams obvious picks are an A maybe an A-. Every teams mega reach is a B or B+. Every guy from 4-7 is at least a B.

Done!

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Every teams obvious picks are an A maybe an A-. Every teams mega reach is a B or B+. Every guy from 4-7 is at least a B.

Done!

Very true. Good job everyone!

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Done!

As an avid fan of Division III football, I have a very strong opinion on that 6th rounder.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Done!

This is exactly why I don't post grades, just thoughts

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I am of two minds about the Texans draft. From the perspective of "we should have traded up to get Bridgewater" I want to give it a C on that alone, but once I accepted we weren't going to reach for a QB after Bridgewater was gone, I think it's much better.

For the most part I agree with other Texans posters so far. Without grading the late round picks, who I know nothing about and are likely to be depth at best:

Clowney - A
Had to draft him; too much talent and with JJ Watt around to drive him I don't think the effort concerns people were throwing around will be a big deal.

Su'a-Filo - A
Huge need and a great talent.

Fiedorowicz - D
A reach for a player that we could have found later, and doesn't really fit an obvious need.

Nix III - A+
We had to trade up to get him but he should never have fallen this far to begin with. If he develops well our line will be terrifying.

Savage - C
Cautiously optimistic that O'Brien can turn him into something useful. I really regard this as a shot at the QB lottery, so the pick doesn't bother me.

As for the late round picks, I like that we got DE, DB and RB depth.

I'd give it overall a B+ right now.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Cruel and Unusual posted:

:mufasa:

The Lions won free agency. The Lions won the draft. The Lions will beat the other NFC North teams again. The Lions will win the NFC North point differential battle again. The Lions will get contributions from their newest players and existing players that had been forgotten. The Lions will not be stopped. Dream on, Lions, dream on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SljFKRsIH2g

Keep smoking whatever it is you're smoking, and hopefully it makes you happy while the Lions finish last in the division this year :allears:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Done!
Eh, yeah that's why I don't really grade picks. I like the picks but I don't think I could put them on a scale and be even remotely accurate about it. I think the Packers made good picks and welp, I think they'll help the team. I really hope Ha Ha kicks a whole lot of rear end, but I haven't seen these dudes play in the NFL and it's pretty hard to grade a pile of kids that who the gently caress knows?

I can at least say that I like pretty much all of the Packers picks this year. Who knows how they'll turn out, but I do see potential.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Fenrir posted:

Keep smoking whatever it is you're smoking, and hopefully it makes you happy while the Lions finish last in the division this year :allears:

Or he could make a toxx to lick his own poo poo.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Mel Kiper was making GBS threads pretty hard on the Eagles draft pick Marcus Smith if I remember right.

E: Looking back at the draft day 1 thread, everyone was making GBS threads on the Marcus Smith pick. At least those who actually knew who he was.

I had no idea who he was. Went back and looked at the pre-draft rankings for Blake Bortles and Marcus Smith:

Blake Bortles:
Actual - 3

NFLDraftScout.com - 6
Drafttek - 7
Mocking the Draft (SBNation.com) - 16
Draft Countdown - 29
Mike Mayock NFL.com - 15
Daniel Jeremiah NFL.com - 20
Todd McShay- 18
Mel Kiper Jr. - 11
Average - 15.25
Delta - 12.25

Tells us what we already knew: Bortles really had a mid-1st round grade, but got taken 3rd overall.

Marcus Smith:
Actual - 26

NFLDraftScout.com - 61
Drafttek - 60
Mocking the Draft (SBNation.com) - 74
Draft Countdown - 50
Mike Mayock NFL.com - 53
Daniel Jeremiah NFL.com - 45
Todd McShay - 80
Mel Kiper Jr. - 85
Average - 63.5
Delta - 37.5

Yikes.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

bhsman posted:

A huge, athletic Tight End is exactly what gets picked high these days, though, because of the ability to create mismatches. Those are the sort of high-percentage plays you want to make.

Would you feel better if, instead of making Gronk comparisons, I'd point out that CJ compares very favorably (if not flat out better in some areas) to Austin Sefarian-Jenkins? Big, atheletic pass-catching and blocking TE whom the Buccaneers took 38th overall? Getting that kind of player in the third is great value, by comparison.

Compares very favorably to ASJ? ASJ hauled in 146 receptions for 1,840 yards and 21 TDs in three years. CJ got 91 catches for 899 yards and 10 TDs in four years and actually got benched at one point this past season because his backup was doing better in practice.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Wanna look at this a year from now and see how well all these A+ players make us feel

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Mel Kiper was making GBS threads pretty hard on the Eagles draft pick Marcus Smith if I remember right.

E: Looking back at the draft day 1 thread, everyone was making GBS threads on the Marcus Smith pick. At least those who actually knew who he was.

Not defending the Smith pick, because I don't know anything about him, but Kiper is an idiot. Oddly enough he also graded the Eagles as having the best draft in the NFCE.

The other important thing to remember is that Chip apparently wanted to trade back more, but didn't have any biters. I'd have rather them take a safety, but I'll be interested in seeing how he gets fit into the defense.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Blitz7x posted:

Round 1, Pick 5 (5) Khalil Mack OLB 6'3" 251 Buffalo 7.2

Amazing value meets need. A+++++++

Round 2, Pick 4 (36) Derek Carr QB 6'2" 214 Fresno St. 6.1

Good value, needed QB. A

Round 3, Pick 17 (81) (From Dolphins) Gabe Jackson OG 6'3" 336 Mississippi St. 5.7

Need + Value. A+
Round 4, Pick 7 (107) Justin Ellis DT 6'1" 334 Louisiana Tech 5.3

Need + Value. A

Round 4, Pick 16 (116) (From Dolphins) Keith McGill CB 6'3" 211 Utah 5.4

Huge Corner ala Sean Smith. Boom/Bust pick but great value. B

Round 7, Pick 4 (219) Travis Carrie CB 6'0" 206 Ohio 5.3

Injured CB, but could be used for PR. B

That's two solid-to-great drafts in a row from the Raiders. I'm terrified of the future and the changes it will bring. Someone hold me :ohdear:

quote:

Round 7, Pick 20 (235) (From Cardinals) Shelby Harris DE 6'2" 288 Illinois St. 5.0

Uhhhh straight up headcase. A+++++

Round 7, Pick 32 (247) (From Seahawks) Jonathan Dowling SS 6'3" 190 Western Kentucky 5.3
Another headcase. A+++++

Oh there we go. RAIDERS FOOTBALL!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Those 7th round picks are sure going to sink the Raiders otherwise excellent draft

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Unlike most people who post the meme, and much like the experience I had last night,

Denver: Nutted. But she still suckin.

sweet thursday fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 11, 2014

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Intruder posted:

Those 7th round picks are sure going to sink the Raiders otherwise excellent draft

I'm not sure if this ironic. I'm not sure if it's making fun of me. I'm not sure of anything anymore, my whole world has been turned upside down.

Time to down a bottle of Four Roses and pass out in the snow.

I don't even know whether or not there's snow.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fenrir posted:

Wow how rude.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Danny LaFever posted:

Wow how rude.

I don't know who you are, but you're totally welcome to pull up a seat next to that other guy and take as many hits off the pipe as you need :)

Spoiler: Packers gonna kill you.

e: Unless of course, you're a 49ers fan, then yeah you're going to beat us yet again and I'm gonna get mad about it :mad:
gently caress we just can't beat those assholes.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Round 1 - Darqueze Dennard. He is good and I am glad he is on my team. He fell far and if he didn't the Bengals would've probably drafted Kyle Fuller (if he also fell) or Jason Verrett. I like all three of them. Hooray, Dennard! B+

Round 2 - Jeremy Hill. He raped someone. F

Round 3 - Will Clarke. "We drafted Michael Johnson late and he owned after a few years, we can definitely do that again" - the Bengals looking at a bad prospect they wanted to reach for. D

Round 4 - Russell Bodine. I liked him a lot. Every time I did a mock draft, I always made sure to get in him rounds 5-6. We traded up for him for the third time ever and almost drafted him in the third. Both are reaches but whatever, he's good. However, the Bengals wanted the guy the Seahawks got at 199, their original spot. Yikes. B-

Round 5 - F- and also gently caress the Chiefs forever and ever. You all needed a goddamn WR.

Round 6 - Marquis Flowers. Apparently, an athletic guy like Lamur. I know nothing about him but if he's getting Lamur comparisons, that means Lamur is going to play great this year (his contract year) and the Bengals won't want to pay him. Hooray? C

Round 7 part 1 - James Wright. Hasn't caught a pass in a year. Literally brought on solely for special teams. Could've had Michael Sam here, who has done things in football in the past year. F

Round 7 part 2 - Lavelle Westbrooks. Depth, so it's fine. Probably practice squad material but probably just out of football after a year. But it's the seventh round so A+.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Instead I think I'll rewatch (for the 100th time) the NFL season-ending championship game that was played on Thanksgiving.

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

Ribsauce posted:

I can't imagine there is a team which has has less success than the Panthers at drafting and developing wide receivers. I hope this breaks the trend.

Let me introduce you to the Jacksonville Jaguars; "notable" draftees include R. Jay Soward, Reggie Williams, Matt Jones, Mike Sims-Walker, Mike Thomas, Tiquan Underwood, and Justin Blackmon. The best WR the Jags have ever drafted is Cecil Shorts III; at least the Panthers have Steve Smith to their credit.

Obviously jury is still out on Ace Sanders, Marquise Lee, and Allen Robinson (notable for being taken by the current front office). Maybe they'll turn the Jags' WR fortunes around.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Fenrir posted:

I don't know who you are, but you're totally welcome to pull up a seat next to that other guy and take as many hits off the pipe as you need :)

I'm still here. I have a name. :(

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

thatguyclint posted:

The best WR the Jags have ever drafted is Cecil Shorts III; at least the Panthers have Steve Smith to their credit.

I missed drafted in this sentence at first and was about to get all mad.

What happened to Jimmy Smith between 1992 and 1995 anyway now that I have his pfr page up? He played a little as a rookie and then nothing until Jacksonville.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I think it was frequent injuries originally but then the Cowboys just lost faith in him and gave him no snaps.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Jets
Round 1, #18 - Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville... Desperate need and who I feel is the best safety in the draft. Fits Rex's defense perfectly, value seems right around where he was projected - A-
Round 2, #49 - Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech... They needed to trade up for either Marqise Lee or Amaro and they got one without giving up any picks. Need and value. - A+
Round 3, #80 - Dexter McDougle, CB, Maryland... Need but the value wasn't there as by most accounts he would have been available later 2 rounds later. Kiper loves him, although that could just be the Maryland homerism kicking in. - C+
Round 4, #104 - Jalen Saunders, WR, Oklahoma... Tiny slot guy and someone to return punts. The offense broke down when Kerley was injured so having a backup was necessary, but there were other WR options I liked better. - C
Round 4, #115 - Shaq Evans, WR, UCLA... Tall, possession receiver with not a ton of upside but still valuable. Could turn into a Cotchery type. I like it. - B
Round 4, #137 - Dakota Dozier, OG, Furman... The best name. Also, a fantastic value and could either challenge Brian Winters to start or take over for Willie Colon in a year. - A
Round 5, #154 - Jeremiah George, ILB, Iowa State... Uhhh, I dunno. A special teams guy and someone to protege under David Harris along with Nick Bellore. Boring. - D
Round 6, #195 - Brandon Dixon, CB, NW Missouri State... Size/Speed developmental project at CB. These next 3 picks are throw poo poo at a wall and see what sticks. - C+
Round 6, #209 - Quincy Enunwa, WR, Nebraska... See above. The 3rd WR taken so another guy to fight over the 5-6th WR spots. - B-
Round 6, #210 - IK Enemkpali, DE, Louisiana Tech... Look at that loving name. OLB project fits need; I know nothing about him. - D+
Round 6, #213 - Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson... Tajh Boyd loving sucks and I hope he never sees the field but hopefully he'll kick Matt Simms and his legion of groupies off the team. - C+
Round 7, #233 - Trevor Reilly, OLB, Utah... Great value, older OLB thanks to Mormonism but a tough bastard who I wanted much earlier. - A

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Have you ever had a girl jerk you off better than you could? That's what I feel about the future possibilities of this year's Denver draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Minnesota Vikings

Overview - After one draft, we're starting to get an idea of the type of players that Zimmer wants. He's looking for high character guys who respond well to coaching and he's not afraid to gamble on raw but athletic players since he feels that he and his coaching staff can mold them into the kind of players that he wants.

There was a concerted effort to draft volume on defense. The Vikings defense was awful last year and while they stayed with a 4-3 front Zimmer is running a completely different scheme and thus needed a lot of guys to flesh out depth and fill some key roles in his defense. Some key differences in how Zimmer uses his players compared to Frazier are:

1) Pass rushing SLB. SLB is used as a 5th pass rusher and Zimmer rushes 5 as much as possible, so a pass rushing OLB like Anthony Barr fills a huge need. I think that Barr could end up being used very similary to how the Broncos use Von Miller, but there hasn't been much talk about Barr being a stand up end in nickel and dime formations yet.
2) Heavy DL rotation. This has been overstated somewhat by the Twin Cities media, but he does rotate DTs frequently and he has a tendency to use fresh bodies over his best pass rushers in obvious pass rushing situation, so good depth is necessary. It also would be shocking to see guys like Griffen, Wootton, and Crichton lining up at DT in certain pass rushing situations.
3) Situational linebacker play. Frazier was very much a proponent of sticking with his starters regardless of the situation, which was a heavy factor in the Vikings inability for their linebacker to cover the middle of the field. Zimmer likes to use a downhill run stopping MLB in base formation and in nickel and dime formations, he has a tendency to specialist coverage linebackers or even safeties to emphasize coverage. Brandon Watts drafted in the 7th round looks to have the attributes to be a nickel linebacker and Gerald Hodges, who is a converted safety turned linebacker that the Vikings drafted last year should also get a look in that role.
4) Cover corners. Zimmer likes guys who excel in man coverage. Doesn't seem to matter if that is press or off-man coverage, but they need to stick with the receivers.
5) Safeties capable of man coverage. In Frazier's scheme the safeties pretty much stayed back in deep Cover 2 or Cover 3 looks, but in Zimmer's scheme he'll use a lot more Cover 1 looks with some Cover 3 and Cover 4 mixed in at times. At least one of the safeties will be expected to be capable of covering a TE if not slot receivers, which allows him to stay in base formations against some 3 receiver looks.

I am sure that a Bengals fan could fill in more details or correct me on some of these areas, but this is my understanding of how Zimmer's defense will work and I feel it was necessary to describe that to put this draft into proper context. With that being said, here are my thoughts on the Vikings picks:

Round 1 (9) SLB Anthony Barr, UCLA 6'5 255 :: Barr is a raw, but athletically gifted OLB who was converted from HB two years ago. He has the speed and athleticism to develop into a 3-down linebacker, but needs to fill out his frame and add more lower body strength. He thrives as a speed rusher and needs to develop his hands and more pass rush moves to take his game to the next level. In Zimmer's D he likes to use the SLB as a 5th pass rusher, so Barr will be asked to rush the passer much more often than drop back into coverage. If teams start to respect him as a pass rusher, then it will force them to leave a TE and/or HB on his side to block him, which obviously limits options for opposing offenses. It is important to remember that he's raw, so if he responds to coaching, then he'll be a much better player 3 years down the line than he will be as a rookie. It was a risky fit, but he is a perfect fit for what Zimmer wants to do with the defense.

Round 1 (32) QB Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville 6'2 214 :: Bridgewater was my favorite QB throughout the entire draft process. Bridgewater is a smart QB who is proficient at reading defenses, he was given free reign to make audibles as a sophomore, he already makes line calls, and he does an excellent job of going through his progressions and hitting 3rd or 4th receiving options. His arm isn't as strong as some of the other QBs, but that should improve as he adds weight and strength and he's also able to make up for that with good accuracy and ball placement. He excels in midrange passing (5 to 20 yards), which is actually a key component of Turner's offense. The Vikings have a decent stopgap in Cassel, so they won't need to rush Bridgewater onto the field, but if Cassel regresses or Bridgewater blows everyone away in training camp, then things could change.

Round 3 (72) DE Scott Crichton, Oregon State 6'3 273 :: Long DE who is considered to be a high character guy and play every snap like it is his last. Declared early due to family and is still considered to be a bit raw. Will start out as a rotational DE and could see some snaps at DT in obvious pass rushing situations. Adds much needed depth and could be a good starter a couple years down the line.

Round 3 (96) HB Jerick McKinnon, Georgia Southern 5'9 209 :: He was an athlete without a true position in college, but played well as a DB, QB, and HB. The Vikings intend to use him as a HB. He's a bit raw, but ran a 4.41 40, did 32 reps at 225, and can squat three times his body weight. He is fast, but doesn't seem to possess a 2nd gear in the open field and doesn't have much experience as a receiver, but did well at pass catching drills in workouts. I don't think he's a true 3rd down back this point due to the lack of experience receiving and pass protection issues that he needs to improve at, but he does possess excellent vision and does a good job finding seems to run through, so he should still be capable of spelling Peterson.

Round 5 (145) LG David Yankey, Stanford 6'6 315 :: Smart and physical guard from Stanford. Has position flexibility and is capable of playing both guard spots and can play RT in a pinch. Has footwork and balance issues that need to be addressed and has issues blocking in the second level. I've heard a couple pass rushers mention Yankey as the OL that hated facing the most and while he may not be able to usurp Charlie Johnson right away, but I think he could be starting at LG in the second half of the season or by 2015 for sure.

Round 6 (182) SS Antone Exum, Virginia Tech 6'0 213 :: Exum was a high round prospect before a torn ACL and high ankle in 2013. Lost a full step after he tore his ACL. He's a physical safety who is not afraid to play the run or go into man coverage on a TE and is a much better prospect than you normally get in the 6th round. The Vikings have confidence that they can rehab his ACL and get his speed and athleticism back and if he can do that and respond to coaching, then he could be an absolute steal.

Round 6 (182) CB Kendall James, Maine 5'10 180 :: Smaller corner who excels in man coverage, but had trouble going up against better competition and more physical receivers. Will be viewed as more of a slot corner in the pros, but will need to put on strength and be coached up in order to make it to the roster.

Round 7 (220) DT Shamar Stephen, Connecticut 6'5 309 :: The Vikings view him as more of a NT than UT. Has limited pass rush ability at this point, but has a wide frame and long arms. Initially projected to go much higher and should have a good shot at making the roster, since Zimmer likes to have depth at NT.

Round 7 (223) OLB Brandon Watts, Georgia Tech 6'0 225 :: Undersized but extremely productive college LB. He wasn't invited to the combine, but ran an impressive 4.4 40 at the GT pro day and did well in a private workout with the Vikings. Should be able to contribute early on as a special teamer and could be looked at as a nickel linebacker due to his speed and athleticism.

Round 7 (225) CB Jabari Price, North Carolina 5'10 200 :: Aggressive corner with good ball skills, should be able to contribute immediately as a gunner on special teams. Sounds like a talented corner who desperately needs better coaching. I think he is a guy that Zimmer can get though to and I actually think he has a better chance of making the 53-man roster than Kendall James does. Not sure what his ceiling is, but I think he can add solid depth.

Overall, I am very happy with the draft. The Vikings got guys who fit Zimmer's scheme and should be able to add depth right away and a couple of those guys could turn into good starters in a few years. He did tend gamble on players who are raw, but athletic and need good coaching, but Zimmer seems confident that he and his coaching staff can get the most out of those kind of players, so we'll see how that strategy works out. I don't think the immediate impact of this draft will be as big as the past two seasons, but I think this draft will look to be very good in 2-3 years.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 11, 2014

• Locked thread