Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

MaxDuo posted:

I've been considering getting a Wii U after getting a new monitor this month. I was wondering if there are currently any deals / upcoming deals on the console? I already know about the MK8 and free game offer.

I'm probably going for the premium console as well. I'm aware that I can get a good external hard drive for the system, but I like the little extras, the game, and the eshop bonus vs paying that much for an extra hard drive I won't fill or use for anything else.

Right now I'm thinking ZombiU (I know it has boring melee and combat but still love the idea), 3d world, Donkey Kong, Wonderful 101, and the mk8 deal.

If there's no great deal on the console, should I just grab a refurb from Nintendo? I recall seeing some goon mention they were pretty good quality and he couldn't tell the difference at one point.

If you're State side, unless there's a specific deal I'm unaware of, Refurb is likely the better option. If you're in say, the UK, GAME has a whole variety console bundles, both online and with local stores, that it shouldn't be hard to find something good. Seriously, my local store is offering the thing at a bit over £250, coming with four games. It'll probably vary store to store, but that's the kind of thing they're up to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I'm really enjoying The Wonderful 101 but I'm not as good at it as I'd like, plus I'd really like to be able to find all the hidden stuff. Is/was there ever a Wonderful 101 thread, or is there a reliable and readable/watchable guide out there?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm really enjoying The Wonderful 101 but I'm not as good at it as I'd like, plus I'd really like to be able to find all the hidden stuff. Is/was there ever a Wonderful 101 thread, or is there a reliable and readable/watchable guide out there?

I asked the same thing, and the answer is largely "no". Chip Cheezum plans to LP it, but he's already taking awhile to finish the Uncharted LP and I don't think he'll be doubling up projects, especially since W101 would take a lot to do proper justice.

The short answer to everything is "practice". There's a few ways to draw the various shapes, and it's really more a matter of getting the motion right rather than getting the shape right. In terms of hidden content, bear in mind, you unlock the various Wonderful Ones as you go through the game, so you won't have your full team assembled (all seven types of shapes) until you get to Operation 005. I'd say just go with it, and kind of struggle your way through. The best way to learn is trial by fire, and once you've unlocked everybody, you can go back and use them in previous missions for extras and goodies.

The only other advice I can think of is that Wonder Yellow is best drawn by making a sickle shape, rather than following the in-game advice. Yes, Russia, sickle...it works. Stroke up, curl around.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
What a bummer. I just wanted some useful references. Shape-drawing I can handle, but I'm having trouble finding some of the secrets and learning what moves to block and dodge and how to best do that.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
On top of that, don't worry about the score too much, I finished the game with a ton of consolation prizes.

It's kinda what I'm loving on the Wii U, good games that fairly challenge the gently caress out of me, TW101 and DKCTF are rad.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
Tropical Freeze is an incredible platformer and I think it's the best game on the Wii U right now. I just finished completing the secret world and now I'm starting going through the levels in hard mode. It's really a great and challenging old-school game.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

DoctorWhat posted:

What a bummer. I just wanted some useful references. Shape-drawing I can handle, but I'm having trouble finding some of the secrets and learning what moves to block and dodge and how to best do that.

Spikes = dodge. Blunt strikes = block. That's the rule of thumb in a nutshell, and again, you get abilities later on that make dodging and blocking both more rewarding and easier.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

bonzibuddy64 posted:

Tropical Freeze is an incredible platformer and I think it's the best game on the Wii U right now. I just finished completing the secret world and now I'm starting going through the levels in hard mode. It's really a great and challenging old-school game.

This is why I still play Nintendo games. Even Mario 3D world has this weird oldschool vibe that I really like. It's like, if Nintendo had this technology back in 1993 they would have made the exact same game.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm at work so I can't find them right at the moment but there are actually a series of YouTube tutorials that you should search for.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

There's a TW101 thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3564406&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

As for guides, Saur's system breakdown videos do a good job at explaining how to play the game well, though ultimately getting good ranks comes down to practice.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

MaxDuo posted:

If there's no great deal on the console, should I just grab a refurb from Nintendo? I recall seeing some goon mention they were pretty good quality and he couldn't tell the difference at one point.

Refurb is probably the best deal and all the games you list are fantastic. The melee combat in ZombiU didn't bother me at all, it creates a lot of tention in it's simplicity. Most of the reviewers poo poo on the game because it wasn't a Left for Dead FPS, instead it's a Resident Evil'ish roguelike lite.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Kewpuh posted:

Zombi U is probably the best game on the system which isn't a knock against Donkey Kong or 3D World because those are amazing also, but Zombi U is goddamned perfect and the somewhat negative to mediocre reviews are dumb and wrong

Well it's bad if you don't like seeing the same melee attack animation for the 10 or so hours the game lasts.

The game is full of great ideas but it's not everyone's bag. There's a demo you can try for it, though.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Does anyone have any experience with PlayOn in Canada? I have Plex to stream things to the WiiU from my PC, but we're cutting the cord again as our cable deal runs out and PlayOn looks interesting. I just don't know if the Canadian channel offerings are any good.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Kewpuh posted:

Zombi U is probably the best game on the system which isn't a knock against Donkey Kong or 3D World because those are amazing also, but Zombi U is goddamned perfect and the somewhat negative to mediocre reviews are dumb and wrong

I actually followed it a lot when it came out. Seemed a lot of people were super let down by the melee attacks being super simple. I actually made a post or two trying to defend it because i'd read tons of the stuff about it at the time. I mainly put my note about it in here as I expected tons of goons to tell me not to bother and call it boring garbage or something.

Edit:
Looking at the refurb page.... does the refurbished Wii U deluxe not come with the charging cradle and stands? Also do you get club nintendo points for refurbs?

MaxDuo fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 11, 2014

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

MaxDuo posted:

Looking at the refurb page.... does the refurbished Wii U deluxe not come with the charging cradle and stands? Also do you get club nintendo points for refurbs?

I'd imagine that you get everything that comes with the average Deluxe set is in there, and they probably just didn't put them on the list because they're pieces of plastic, but I'm not sure. I know for sure you don't (or at least shouldn't) get Club Nintendo coins, though.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Ultigonio posted:

I'd imagine that you get everything that comes with the average Deluxe set is in there, and they probably just didn't put them on the list because they're pieces of plastic, but I'm not sure. I know for sure you don't (or at least shouldn't) get Club Nintendo coins, though.
Uh that's the opposite of my experience. I got 160 Club Nintendo coins from the Wii U, but it did not come with the stand or charging cradle.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm really enjoying The Wonderful 101 but I'm not as good at it as I'd like,

Saur is the only person on Earth who actually knows how to play the game. The rest of us are just trying to imitate him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYRa_J1BlLQ

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

We're approaching that time of year again! I'm a game or two short on platinum status for Club Nintendo so I figured I'd just fill in a few gaps that I had been meaning to. That Pikmin 2 with the new play control was pretty cheap the last time I looked so I'm sure it'll be a good...

:eek:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Who loves e3 leaks?

Take it with a mountain of salt but always fun to read possibilities/wishlists

vvvv Pretty much my reaction but eh v:v:v

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 11, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Star Fox by Platinum?

Yup, it's fake.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Who loves e3 leaks?

lol Next Level creating a new Metroid. I love Next Level but that poo poo is way out of their zone.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Last year it was Star Fox by Retro :rolleyes:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

lol Next Level creating a new Metroid. I love Next Level but that poo poo is way out of their zone.

The list is probably fake but Next Level Games did a really good job on Luigi's Mansion 2, I think letting them make a new Metroid would be better than no Metroid at all

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Pretty sure that Kamiya once said he no longer wants to work on Star Fox because people keep pestering him about it.

Regardless of the "leak," as much as I'd like them to do Metroid again, I would definitely like to see Retro make an entirely new IP. Though another sci-fi game might be a bit weird since Metroid exists. Then again, they do very pretty art assets.

Is the FPS the only real genre Nintendo doesn't have a series for? You could argue Metroid Prime but I'm thinking a more standard FPS. Not that I want Call of Duty Nintendo version but I'm just curious.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

They sprinkled in a lot of pushed-to-2015 stuff to make it believable, but the known fact that there will be Gamepad-centric games was treated as a one-line afterthought, and Platinum Starfox is the fangasm giveaway.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

If whoever wrote that hadn't callously tossed 'Star Fox by Platinum' in there this would have been a pretty believable leak.

So close yet so far.

e: Also, no mention of Pokémon ORAS? :cmon:

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 11, 2014

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

JordanKai posted:

If whoever wrote that hadn't callously tossed 'Star Fox by Platinum' in there this would have been a pretty believable leak.

So close yet so far.

e: Also, no mention of Pokémon ORAS? :cmon:

3DS section at the bottom, under Smash Bros.

I mean, I realise its fake, but they're not that stupid to omit such a thing.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Who loves e3 leaks?

I like the about page on this "blog."

"About
This is an example of a page. Unlike posts, which are displayed on your blog’s front page in the order they’re published, pages are better suited for more timeless content that you want to be easily accessible, like your About or Contact information. Click the Edit link to make changes to this page or add another page."

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Astro Nut posted:

3DS section at the bottom, under Smash Bros.

I mean, I realise its fake, but they're not that stupid to omit such a thing.

Oh, woops. I think I even noticed it the first time reading through the page but forgot about it by the time I was making a post. :downs:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

I'm almost tempted to take that list and make it into some kind of E3 predictions bingo card. Because there's not much value in it besides.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Astro Nut posted:

I'm almost tempted to take that list and make it into some kind of E3 predictions bingo card. Because there's not much value in it besides.

Dark, gritty, Skyrim-style open world Zelda is practically a bingo all on its own.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Random Stranger posted:

We're approaching that time of year again! I'm a game or two short on platinum status for Club Nintendo so I figured I'd just fill in a few gaps that I had been meaning to. That Pikmin 2 with the new play control was pretty cheap the last time I looked so I'm sure it'll be a good...

Yeah, I've been meaning to pick up both of the Pikmin Wii ports, but they both seemed to have shot up in price anyplace they're available. I got lucky enough to find a copy of Pikmin 1 for $18 a few weeks ago, but Pikmin 2 might be harder to find even though there was no problems finding them last year.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mercury Crusader posted:

Yeah, I've been meaning to pick up both of the Pikmin Wii ports, but they both seemed to have shot up in price anyplace they're available. I got lucky enough to find a copy of Pikmin 1 for $18 a few weeks ago, but Pikmin 2 might be harder to find even though there was no problems finding them last year.

Yeah, a couple of months ago it seemed like they couldn't give them away. I didn't care for the original so I never bought Pikman 2 for the GameCube. Then someone gave me a copy of 3 and I liked it a lot so I figured I should go back and try 2 with the new controls to see if I liked it. I just never got around to picking up a copy and it seemed to be rotting on the shelves everywhere.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Last year it was Star Fox by Retro :rolleyes:

And wasn't the year before a crossover between Metroid and Star Fox?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

And wasn't the year before a crossover between Metroid and Star Fox?

You could argue that one happened with the Metroid mini-game in Nintendoland.

Flying around in the spaceship was kind of like Starfox! :v:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
They'll still find a way to sneak in a Space Harrier level somehow.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Random Stranger posted:

I somehow got really lucky at my local game store and got both Pikmin 1 and 2 new play control for $36. I don't know if it was a pricing mistake or what, because now they have a sign saying the trade-in value of each is $30.

I played through 1 and while it's pretty good, it's nowhere near as polished as 3, so keep that in mind. I still recommend it, but keep your expectations lower.

BingeHooligan
Dec 24, 2010

Like we're gonna get Dragon Quest VII, come on. I'm not stupid! :v:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, I was in that boat last summer after I played through Pikmin 3. I had bought Pikmin 1 for Wii a few years earlier for dirt cheap on Amazon for black friday, sold it after not playing it for months, and then regretted it after finding out it was typically selling for 30 bucks. I got lucky and found a used copy at Gamestop for 20 and it was in mint shape. Then Pikmin 2 was a pain in the rear end as well, I distinctly remember seeing it in stores for 20 bucks as late as March 2013, but then a few months later it was gone and everyone wanted 25 plus shipping for it.

Nintendo announcing platinum selects feels like a moot point now anyways. When they said SMG2 was going to be 30 bucks the only place I ever recalled seeing it for sale at the MSRP was Amazon. No one else had it in stock by then.

Also that E3 list is real, there's no Advance Wars sequel for the 3DS, continuing Nintendo's tradition of disappointing me at E3 again this year in that regard. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Jesus why do people even write this stuff or go through the trouble.

I remember leaks pre-wii U reveal that the next nintendo console had tech that wouldn't be out for decades and the first game would be Mario 2056 or some dumb bullshit, it reads like fan-fiction.

• Locked thread