Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Hobologist posted:

And ironically, Scalia is pretty good about criminal justice as far as I recall :iiam:

On the other hand, recorded history.

Scalia posted:

"[T]his court has never held that the Constitution forbids the execution of a convicted defendant who has had a full and fair trial but is later able to convince a habeas court that he is 'actually' innocent."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Good Citizen posted:

Huh?

I mean, there's a difference between picking up and moving to another country and moving the way money is generated to another country. Just in the last month or so Pfizer almost used a merger with Astrazenica to move to the UK specifically for tax purposes. Companies in the US are selling bonds in the US when they literally have billions of dollars sitting offshore because they think that paying interest is cheaper in the long run than paying taxes on money they've moved offshore.

It's not something where you need to 'cherrypick' examples. The firms that aren't doing it in some way are the ones becoming uncommon. The only reason finance isn't doing it is because their whole gimmick lately has been using automated trading machines and locating as close to the NYSE as possible to shave hundredths of a second off trade times.
What firms have moved to other countries for tax purposes? Other than Pfizer, which almost did. There's no debate that this Irish-Dutch loophole has created a lot of foreign subsidiaries that are hoarding cash offshore and lobbying for a tax holiday, but aside from the occasional Halliburton (which isn't really headquartered in Dubai) or Eduardo Saverin (who wasn't American to begin with), who has moved? Any wealthy individuals? Any major companies?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Rexicon1 posted:

(If you are wealthy and white and didn't come of age during this recession)

I did and all I have is $40,000 of student loan debt and crippling anxiety and depression and reading all these articles about how everything is hosed and nothing will ever get better makes me want to off myself sometimes instead of living through a Christian theocracy or whatever the hell we'll be in 30 years

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Luigi Thirty posted:

I did and all I have is $40,000 of student loan debt and crippling anxiety and depression and reading all these articles about how everything is hosed and nothing will ever get better makes me want to off myself sometimes instead of living through a Christian theocracy or whatever the hell we'll be in 30 years

Relax, the Christian Right has been waning ever since Newt Gingrich's self immolation. In 30 years we'll be in a libertarian utopia where the Republicans have stopped caring about weed and gays and Democrats have stopped pretending to care about income inequality or labor.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

ReindeerF posted:

What firms have moved to other countries for tax purposes? Other than Pfizer, which almost did. There's no debate that this Irish-Dutch loophole has created a lot of foreign subsidiaries that are hoarding cash offshore and lobbying for a tax holiday, but aside from the occasional Halliburton (which isn't really headquartered in Dubai) or Eduardo Saverin (who wasn't American to begin with), who has moved? Any wealthy individuals? Any major companies?

I don't follow which individual companies are doing what unless one makes the news or is part of a case study I worked with. My point was that moving to another country isn't a binary choice of pulling up stakes and abandoning the US market or staying here. People aren't fleeing the US but the money is so this 'lol go ahead and leave' stuff is kinda dumb.

Even I'm not sure how to fix it. Lots of different countries are involved in a race to the bottom that the US isn't much participating in right now, mostly just because of partisan gridlock.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
In some ways Libertopia sounds worse than a theocracy.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

A Winner is Jew posted:

I thought that was a joke about something that sounds like what he would say?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I don't know why people are talking these articles more seriously than 'yea that may be a problem we'll see', you guys do know 'EVERYTHING IS DOOMED CLICK HERE TO READ WHY' is like the oldest way to move your product right?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Good Citizen posted:

I don't follow which individual companies are doing what unless one makes the news or is part of a case study I worked with. My point was that moving to another country isn't a binary choice of pulling up stakes and abandoning the US market or staying here. People aren't fleeing the US but the money is so this 'lol go ahead and leave' stuff is kinda dumb.

Even I'm not sure how to fix it. Lots of different countries are involved in a race to the bottom that the US isn't much participating in right now, mostly just because of partisan gridlock.
You're way oversimplifying what happens. Let me put it back to you to add some context - if the world works how you assume, why are so many companies spending millions on lobbying trying to force a tax holiday to repatriate their earnings? If it works the way you assume, why haven't they simply moved overseas? I get that you think it works a certain way, my point is that it doesn't. They don't leave. Yes, in some cases money can be collected (not moved) offshore for holding purposes, but that's only in some cases - and in all cases those companies want the money to come home for the holidays because when the poo poo hits the fan, as it tends to do, they'd rather it not be stored somewhere they don't have political pull.

So, yes, what you absolutely should tell companies is, "Move. Leave. Put your mouth where you're trying to stockpile your money." They won't go and they would be dead without the ability to access their overseas money. There are a ton of conduits for huge companies to move money around while skirting this issue, but when things go pear-shaped they're hosed and they know this, which is why they want their money to phone home Elliot.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 11, 2014

lothar_
Sep 11, 2001

Don't Date Robots!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I don't know why people are talking these articles more seriously than 'yea that may be a problem we'll see', you guys do know 'EVERYTHING IS DOOMED CLICK HERE TO READ WHY' is like the oldest way to move your product right?

You telling me DKos, HuffPo, Wonkette, my Facebook thread, and this thread are lying to me about how bad things are? That can't be true; I'd be a massive Internet-addicted tool glued to bad news for the sake of a dopamine rush if it is.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Well what do you mean when you are referring to solutions?

Well lets start with the example I outlined above about extremely cheap and easy bulk extraction of minerals and potable water from seawater. Then there is cheap carbon neutral production of manufacturing necessary hydrocarbons, which probably lies in synthetic biology given the advances we are seeing there. While we are on that track lets look at bactophages targeted custom drugs to handle the problems resulting from over use of antibiotics. Oh, and we need to cut identification and sequencing of outbreaks down from a few years, and bulk vaccine production times down from 3 months so we can handle the new epidemics for when, say, MERS pops up in Indiana or polio makes a comeback. Then we need new materials if we want to cheaply manufacture housing that will hold up with what we are expecting with climate change (cheap production of aerogels would be nice, seeing as how most homeless poverty is along the equatorial band and thus extra sensitive to high heat), and allow for better transit systems so we stop seeing access to said transit systems to be a source of grinding poverty. Battery tech that allows the same energy per kg and power per kg as chemical fuels and charging at a high rate would be great, if not we need to adapt the Fischer–Tropsch process to work with atmospheric carbon so we can use methane cells as a carbon neutral solution (connect it to a solar plant and night time isn't a problem any more, just burn it then for no net increase, you get clean power at a lower kwh price than anything else can match). A not bullshit version of this would be great, because the useful (and hard to make) part is a sturdy, accurate, and cheap handheld spectrometer, not an app. But that relies on some improvements on receptors. Cheap and accurate PCR sequencing. New, cheaper treatment for diabetes. Get the breakthroughs needed to allow garage scale garbage -> filament recycling.

And while I'm asking for everything and a pony, a breakthrough in transmission technologies so we can shift over to a meshnet with an encrypted transport layer instead of our current NSA and criminal compromised internet.

There are a few (and I hate this word) "Futurists" aware of and working on these problems. J.Craig Venter and Elon Musk stand out, the Venter institute is working on at least 4 of these problems, Musk on another 3. Other people are at least identifying them, because that's how I became aware. But for a lot of them little direct progress. Because the problem isn't just "we need to make this", its we need a series of little breakthroughs or technologies so we can quickly find the solutions to the big ones I listed there, and then quickly identify problems we think of and deal with those.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Raenir Salazar posted:

I thought that was a joke about something that sounds like what he would say?

It was, but then he went and actually said something pretty much the same as the fake quote. IIRC anyway, and I think that's the actual quote.

(The fake one was "Mere factual innocence is no reason not to carry out a death sentence properly reached.")

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

ReindeerF posted:

You're way oversimplifying what happens. Let me put it back to you to add some context - if the world works how you assume, why are so many companies spending millions on lobbying trying to force a tax holiday to repatriate their earnings? If it works the way you assume, why haven't they simply moved overseas? I get that you think it works a certain way, my point is that it doesn't. They don't leave. Yes, in some cases money can be collected (not moved) offshore for holding purposes, but that's only in some cases - and in all cases those companies want the money to come home for the holidays because when the poo poo hits the fan, as it tends to do, they'd rather it not be stored somewhere they don't have political pull.

They want it repatriated because they want to pay out massive dividends. And yeah, you're right that it's more correct to say that they're moving money generation offshore, not money they've already collected here. They haven't simply moved overseas because they want access to US markets and in most cases their executives live here and don't feel like moving.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Fried Chicken posted:

This is just the phosphates picture. There are also the issues with water access, soil depletion, land reclamation, erosion, monoculture disease weakness, and a host of others.

The narrative that Arab Spring was triggered by a guy setting himself on fire in Tunisia is missing the core question of what drove him to do that, and why that action resonated with so many people. Well, the guy set him self on fire because he couldn't afford food. He couldn't afford food because of a 30% spike in the cost of wheat, leading to subsidies being cut by the governments and prices going up in the markets, which was the same thing felt throughout the region. People were angry about not having necessities, and it spread. That can absolutely happen here.

If you believe that all of these scenarios, ranging from inconveniencing to apocalyptic in nature are coming down the pipeline here, how are you still functional? I'm being completely serious here, because I want to know your secret for staying sane.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

Well lets start with the example I outlined above about extremely cheap and easy bulk extraction of minerals and potable water from seawater. Then there is cheap carbon neutral production of manufacturing necessary hydrocarbons, which probably lies in synthetic biology given the advances we are seeing there. While we are on that track lets look at bactophages targeted custom drugs to handle the problems resulting from over use of antibiotics. Oh, and we need to cut identification and sequencing of outbreaks down from a few years, and bulk vaccine production times down from 3 months so we can handle the new epidemics for when, say, MERS pops up in Indiana or polio makes a comeback. Then we need new materials if we want to cheaply manufacture housing that will hold up with what we are expecting with climate change (cheap production of aerogels would be nice, seeing as how most homeless poverty is along the equatorial band and thus extra sensitive to high heat), and allow for better transit systems so we stop seeing access to said transit systems to be a source of grinding poverty. Battery tech that allows the same energy per kg and power per kg as chemical fuels and charging at a high rate would be great, if not we need to adapt the Fischer–Tropsch process to work with atmospheric carbon so we can use methane cells as a carbon neutral solution (connect it to a solar plant and night time isn't a problem any more, just burn it then for no net increase, you get clean power at a lower kwh price than anything else can match). A not bullshit version of this would be great, because the useful (and hard to make) part is a sturdy, accurate, and cheap handheld spectrometer, not an app. But that relies on some improvements on receptors. Cheap and accurate PCR sequencing. New, cheaper treatment for diabetes. Get the breakthroughs needed to allow garage scale garbage -> filament recycling.

And while I'm asking for everything and a pony, a breakthrough in transmission technologies so we can shift over to a meshnet with an encrypted transport layer instead of our current NSA and criminal compromised internet.

There are a few (and I hate this word) "Futurists" aware of and working on these problems. J.Craig Venter and Elon Musk stand out, the Venter institute is working on at least 4 of these problems, Musk on another 3. Other people are at least identifying them, because that's how I became aware. But for a lot of them little direct progress. Because the problem isn't just "we need to make this", its we need a series of little breakthroughs or technologies so we can quickly find the solutions to the big ones I listed there, and then quickly identify problems we think of and deal with those.

I actually agree with you, technological solutions are absolutely critical. My point is that whether or not the technological solution even gets to be used is a political and economic problem. Furthermore, I think our ability to make technological solutions tends to outpace our ability to use them within this political and economic context. It would be fantastic if the relationship between problems and solutions was a rational one and that is a world I'd prefer to live in.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Relax, the Christian Right has been waning ever since Newt Gingrich's self immolation. In 30 years we'll be in a libertarian utopia where the Republicans have stopped caring about weed and gays and Democrats have stopped pretending to care about income inequality or labor.

How would a Christian libertopia work?

You can smoke all the weed you want as long as you go to megachurch every week?

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

spoon0042 posted:

It was, but then he went and actually said something pretty much the same as the fake quote. IIRC anyway, and I think that's the actual quote.

(The fake one was "Mere factual innocence is no reason not to carry out a death sentence properly reached.")

Yes, he argued that AEDPA was completely constitutional, and thus there was nothing that an additional habeas court could do for Troy Davis (because AEDPA limits you to one petition and he had already lost).

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

That depends entirely what problem you are talking about. In general, you are correct. War, violence, education? Yeah, things are way better than the news spins it about, both locally and globally. This generation is smarter, safer, healthier, and richer than any in history.

Regolith degassing of methane deposits? Superbugs? Necessity access? The news isn't even talking about that stuff. It's like 2005 all over again - it looks decent in the big picture, and most of the discussion is a distraction. But once you get down and start talking on the local level and to the experts working there, you start seeing the evidence of something big coming add up, something that isn't being seen from the high up view. But the problems are real. Global hunger is dropping, but food prices are rising and difficulties in production are increasing. More people have access to clean water, but the sources of clean water are starting to deplete. More people have housing, but that housing wasn't designed to handle to increase in extreme events we are seeing. We are able to get more products to people, but the air pollution from their manufacture is getting worse. We have breakthroughs in medical science allowing us to correct crippling afflictions on a scale never before seen in ways never imagined, but old problems are returning as treatments fall by the wayside and causes adapt.

Yes, I fully realize I sound like a paranoid person right now. "I alone see the problem! It is being hidden from you! Peak _____! Doom! Doom! DOOM!" This is the stuff I mentioned before about how documenting the problems will make it sound more like a manifesto than an attempt to inform.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
These financial shellgames have to be reined in by putting up huge firewalls on transoceanic finance, forcing all capital by companies headquartered in the Americas to be invested in the Americas and taxable. Not to mention the Chinese banking sector is even more of a mess than ours and European finance is hopelessly interwoven with Putin's mafia state.

This can then be followed by strict transoceanic limits on manufactured goods and fossil fuels. Forcing companies to create manufacturing jobs on the continent where they are sold, and encouraging the development of fission/solar infrastructure.

Luigi Thirty posted:

You can smoke all the weed you want as long as you go to megachurch every week?

You can only smoke up in the megachurch, making you more accepting of the constant indoctrination.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

McDowell posted:

You can only smoke up in the megachurch, making you more accepting of the constant indoctrination.

Only a theocratic libertopia could gently caress up cannabis, of course.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

A Winner is Jew posted:

On the other hand, Scalia also wrote Kyllo (an infrared camera used to find heat lamps for growing pot is an unreasonable search) and Crawford (hearsay evidence that is admissible under exceptions to the hearsay rule is still inadmissible if it is "testimonial" in nature).

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

This is from a few pages back but I think it deserves to be pointed out that this article clearly establishes that the canyon in Utah is absolutely open to the public for their use and enjoyment; you just have to either hike or ride horseback to enjoy it. These rear end in a top hat man children are arguing for the freedom to destroy public lands and antiquities with their ATVs and dirt bikes. These people are loving children screaming "you're not the boss of me".

radical meme fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 11, 2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

McDowell posted:

These financial shellgames have to be reined in by putting up huge firewalls on transoceanic finance, forcing all capital by companies headquartered in the Americas to be invested in the Americas and taxable. Not to mention the Chinese banking sector is even more of a mess than ours and European finance is hopelessly interwoven with Putin's mafia state.

This can then be followed by strict transoceanic limits on manufactured goods and fossil fuels. Forcing companies to create manufacturing jobs on the continent where they are sold, and encouraging the development of fission/solar infrastructure.

So an American company can't sell goods in Europe? Or a European company that has a large amount of sales in the US will have to pay taxes in both places?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

radical meme posted:

This is from a few pages back but I think it deserves to be pointed out that this article clearly establishes that the canyon in Utah is absolutely open to he public for their use and enjoyment; you just have to either hike or ride horseback to enjoy it. These rear end in a top hat man children are arguing for the freedom to destroy public lands and antiquities with their ATVs and dirt bikes. These people are loving children screaming "you're not the boss of me".

Time to set up rows of bollards short enough for horses to get over and wide enough spaced for hiking through, but near impossible for ATVs to get past. :v:

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
In the political war over climate change, Rubio said this today:

quote:

"I do not believe that human activity is causing these dramatic changes to our climate the way these scientists are portraying it," Rubio said, according to excerpts released by ABC "This Week," "and I do not believe that the laws that they propose we pass will do anything about it, except it will destroy our economy."

"The fact is that these events that we're talking about are impacting us, because we built very expensive structures in Florida and other parts of the country near areas that are prone to hurricanes. We've had hurricanes in Florida forever. And the question is, what do we do about the fact that we have built expensive structures, real estate and population centers near those vulnerable areas?" he asked. "I have no problem with taking mitigation activity."

The politics of denial falls into two categories; the people who outright deny that climate change is even happening and the people who say stuff like Rubio, that it's not caused by anything that we can do to correct or stop it. Both forms of denial are wrong. The press does a really lovely job of distinguishing between the two. The difference is important because the guys who just outright deny it's happening can't be dealt with while, the ones who say it's not manmade can be.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Inglonias posted:

If you believe that all of these scenarios, ranging from inconveniencing to apocalyptic in nature are coming down the pipeline here, how are you still functional? I'm being completely serious here, because I want to know your secret for staying sane.

Same way you handle other depressive issues. Its a bit easier with this stuff actually, since it isn't personal and won't start coming to a head for decades. Stay active, have a good network of family and friends, alcohol in extreme moderation, no drugs, daily exercise, plenty of sleep, eat right, use meta-thinking to recognize when you are thinking about the issue vs when you are thinking in a way that will only drive you down, and find an outlet for when you need it (eg here for this stuff).

Plus the same stuff I follow where I learn about this stuff also occssionally throw up links to people working on these issues, and ancillary benefits, like how University of Louisville applied CS and neuroscience theories of intelligence to come up with a way that lets long term paralyzed regain use of their limbs (Instant response upon activation, 4 out of 4 successful tests so far.)

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 11, 2014

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Either way I'm always reminded of a cartoon (can't remember which) where a climate change denier cries out: "But what if we've created a better world for nothing?!"

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

radical meme posted:

This is from a few pages back but I think it deserves to be pointed out that this article clearly establishes that the canyon in Utah is absolutely open to the public for their use and enjoyment; you just have to either hike or ride horseback to enjoy it. These rear end in a top hat man children are arguing for the freedom to destroy public lands and antiquities with their ATVs and dirt bikes. These people are loving children screaming "you're not the boss of me".

And again, they are literally tearing up gravesites.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Fried Chicken posted:

Same way you handle other depressive issues. Its a bit easier with this stuff actually, since it isn't personal and won't start coming to a head for decades. Stay active, have a good network of family and friends, alcohol in extreme moderation, no drugs, daily exercise, plenty of sleep, eat right, use meta-thinking to recognize when you are thinking about the issue vs when you are thinking in a way that will only drive you down, and find an outlet for when you need it (eg here for this stuff).

Plus the same stuff I follow where I learn about this stuff also occssionally throw up links to people working on these issues, and ancillary benefits, like how University of Louisville applied CS and neuroscience theories of intelligence to come up with a way that lets long term paralyzed regain use of their limbs (Instant response upon activation, 4 out of 4 successful tests so far.)

U.S. Politics generally is a working educational session on how to keep informed on what is going on without losing sense of the scale being talked about. I'm half convinced that I have learned to enjoy stories of political idiocy because it serves as a catharsis to what would otherwise be soul-crushing levels of insignificance. It's easy to look at billionaires and corporations swaying politics and then look at the guy who donates $5 to a candidate from his poverty level wage and conclude that the game is irrevocably and irreparably stacked against this poor guy, and very difficult to remember that "all politics is local" and doing something, even if it's just remaining informed and discussing issues with people around you is important.

Taeke posted:

Either way I'm always reminded of a cartoon (can't remember which) where a climate change denier cries out: "But what if we've created a better world for nothing?!"

:toot: One of my all time favorites on this issue.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 11, 2014

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

hobbesmaster posted:

So an American company can't sell goods in Europe? Or a European company that has a large amount of sales in the US will have to pay taxes in both places?

The American companies can establish Eurasian branches that are basically independent entities, and similarly Eurasian companies would have to create new American firms that license their names/IP.

Basically the east and west hemispheres should be as economically independent from one another as possible, with trade limited to raw materials and intellectual property. This seems like it would create more jobs than the current school of eliminating trade barriers in the name of quarterly profits.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Whenever I am feeling down I just go check out all the cool stuff science is doing, because science is doing lots of cool stuff! Things that help: there is improvement in understanding and creating better solar power technology like every 3 days. Also lots of breakthroughs in quantum computing technology and understanding the science behind superconducting materials. Go make yourself a bit smarter and take a break from depressing political stuff now and then!

Edit: alternatively, if you are more the schadenfreud type, check out the freeper thread and watch as insane racist/homophobic conservatives have their insular christian theocratic world fall apart around them. I suggest the past few pages starting around here to watch them lose their poo poo over Michael Sam getting drafted.

Fuck You And Diebold fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 11, 2014

lothar_
Sep 11, 2001

Don't Date Robots!

Fried Chicken posted:

And again, they are literally tearing up gravesites.

Now that basic 17th Century Westphalian sovereignty is dead (again) in the American West, we need a new model to understand its new political order. I suggest Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age and its concept of the "phyle", albeit as group which temporarily or permanently establishes a micronation on a given plot of formerly-sovereign federal land.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

McDowell posted:

The American companies can establish Eurasian branches that are basically independent entities, and similarly Eurasian companies would have to create new American firms that license their names/IP.

Basically the east and west hemispheres should be as economically independent from one another as possible, with trade limited to raw materials and intellectual property. This seems like it would create more jobs than the current school of eliminating trade barriers in the name of quarterly profits.

That's basically what they do now. Google's IP is in Bermuda, and the royalties it charges the other branches are how profits get shifted offshore.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

McDowell posted:

Enjoy your lovely American cars while I drive around in my shiny BMW or Mercedes. Also eating delicious Dutch cheese, drinking Champagne and buying the newest Playstation from our good Japanese friends.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

radical meme posted:

Protest organizer Phil Lyman, a San Juan County commissioner, said the BLM needs to work cooperatively with local officials. He said the trail through Recapture Canyon is legally a county road and should never have been closed to vehicles by an appointed bureaucrat. Hikers, bicyclists and equestrians were unaffected by the closure.
And rider Devan Palmer said he doesn't understand why the government forces private businesses to install handicapped-accessible facilities but blocks elderly people from riding ATVs on Recapture.

Oh, now a hiking trail is legally a county road, for the purposes of destroying poo poo and pissing people off. And the ranger is the one deploying the "language of weakness". Four million miles of roads. Sixty thousand miles of trails. Please cease any further attempts at recreation, pull back to Wal-Mart food court. If you have no respect, you get no respect. This must be their central complaint, that their smug is no longer accepted as legal tender because we're over that as a society.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

That's basically what they do now. Google's IP is in Bermuda, and the royalties it charges the other branches are how profits get shifted offshore.

Also it's easy for Apple and the like to off shore their profits. Spend all the money they make in the US so US operations including R&D are not (very) profitable and EMEA/Asia income is all profit. Drop ship all orders straight from China.

You seem to want everything made in the US again... Unfortunately that's not possible and never was.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Torrannor posted:

Enjoy your lovely American cars while I drive around in my shiny BMW or Mercedes. Also eating delicious Dutch cheese, drinking Champagne and buying the newest Playstation from our good Japanese friends.

Uh are you really this stupid?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/10/business/bmw-to-expand-us-plant-in-push-for-lighter-and-more-fuel-efficient-cars.html?_r=0
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_U.S._International

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

I'm just sort of picturing somebody walking by a "Don't Be Evil" plaque at Google headquarters, only to cough and dislodge a piece of cardboard hiding a second line reading "Be Cartoonishly Evil!".

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Torrannor posted:

That's fine. Enjoy your overcrowded continent and decades of sovereignty crises. Microsoft and Apple can finally stop pretending to be American companies and will actually manufacture their products here.

Sadly this is just a fantasy, since yuppies would never accept the years of difficulty this transition would entail (my taxes are slightly higher and there aren't enough gizmos on the shelf :qq:)

hobbesmaster posted:

You seem to want everything made in the US again... Unfortunately that's not possible and never was.

Not just the US - the Americas should be a commonwealth trade bloc. Then we'll see if the 'rising tide lifts all boats' claim of globalization will at least have some validity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Well they only make dumb SUVs and CUVs here at the moment.

My American car however was made in Mexico with a Mexican made engine and a Japanese transmission. USA! USA! USA!

• Locked thread