Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."

a cat on an apple posted:

I figured it was radians. I don't remember how but every time radians came up in school I missed school somehow so I never actually learned how to handle them, so I find it incredibly confusing and unintuitive.

Imagine four balls at the edge of a cliff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eigo
Mar 21, 2010

straw man posted:

How does the name pre-registration work if I order this through GMG?

They gave me a key right away and on NCSoft's account page it lists the key type as "deluxe" (I ordered deluxe) instead of Beta so I think you just get the full retail key when you order. There's been a few other MMOs where GMG/Amazon/etc. just give a pre-order key for betas and stuff, but this seems to be the retail key.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, they really should flipped the level 1 and level 11 Esper abilities around. It's a fantastic class now I'm higher level, but the static nature of its basic attack really threatened my interest.

I think the issue with this is that Espers get most of their damage from throwing mind birds and the two builders achieve said throwing very differently. Spectral Frenzy builds points faster but needs some backup skills to offset the fact that you're a cloth class that has to stay in melee range, while Telekinetic Strike lets you build charges from a safe distance meaning more skill slots can be dedicated to builders. I think the later play style doesn't work as well early on since the skill slots you get to play with are very limited.

Edit: vvv iirc the first battleground opens at level 6 vvv

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 11, 2014

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
How early can I access PvP matches after downloading the open beta? That's really the only thing I'm interested in with this game to determine whether or not I buy it.

I don't really want to waste my time on trying the beta if I won't get to try out the one thing I'm concerned about.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Is it just me or does it seem like being small is an advantage in pvp?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Can anyone confirm if a US code gained through GMG can be used on an EU NCSoft account? I've heard conflicting remarks about the NCSoft account, rather than the game code, being key. Haven't used anything with the company for about six years.

Arzachel posted:

Esper talk

yeah, it'll be interesting to see how the class develops during retail. I love the look and feel now I understand it better - has a fantastic blend of a decent skill ceiling and risk/reward. Here's hoping it stays that way. :v:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Rylek posted:

http://www.curse.com/ws-addons/wildstar/220093-steer

http://www.curse.com/ws-addons/wildstar/220129-keybindfreedom

You're welcome! I'm probably going to play Medic as well, mainly because these 2 addons saved the class for me. Enjoy! :)

Nice! Now I just have to figure out how to install addons. :downsgun:

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Iron Tusk posted:

Everyone has the same hitbox so I think its just you.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

WarLocke posted:

Nice! Now I just have to figure out how to install addons. :downsgun:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1126110/WildStar/MissionControl-0.13a.zip

Use this tool! Just open the .exe, and drag the addon .zip onto the program, and it installs it for you.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

vanbags posted:

How early can I access PvP matches after downloading the open beta? That's really the only thing I'm interested in with this game to determine whether or not I buy it.

I don't really want to waste my time on trying the beta if I won't get to try out the one thing I'm concerned about.

Level six, it'll take you one or two hours depending which side you pick and how fast you push through the tutorial clickquests.

Iron Tusk posted:

Phrasing posted:

Everyone has the same hitbox so I think its just you.

There is a psychological advantage, you come off as less of a threat.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I actually nixed the Mordesh dude because evil empire gremlin supremacy. Can someone in Bad Rats invite my medic/scientist chua (Ryllynyth) to the guild?

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

straw man posted:

Level six, it'll take you one or two hours depending which side you pick and how fast you push through the tutorial clickquests.
Sweet, thanks. Is there any type of bolster system to level the playing field or should I expect to get slaughtered at level 6?

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

vanbags posted:

Sweet, thanks. Is there any type of bolster system to level the playing field or should I expect to get slaughtered at level 6?

There are reasonable ranges, so you won't get slaughtered, per se, but you definitely won't have as easy a time.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

vanbags posted:

Everybody gets boosted to level 14 in the intial BG, but you'll still have the worst gear and fewest skills. It's not an enormous power differential, but you'll get the best results if you're a little cautious as you get comfortable with your skills, survivability, etc.

Oh - if your PC isn't just barely managing to run the game, get BijiPlates. The default nameplates are super unreliable. BijiPlates is a big performance drain but very effective.

straw man fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 11, 2014

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
So what does everybody think of the healers in this game? I don't think I'll have enough time personally to level them up to a sufficient level during Open Beta, and frankly the levelling seems slow enough that it will be a bit of a pain to level them all on Live as well. For reference, I play a Mistweaver Monk in WoW - I like the mobility and flexible damage options the class offers.

But really I'm open to whichever one is the most Fun. I'd love to play an Aurin, but they can't be my first 3 class choices :downs: And Spellslinger doesn't really seem like a healing style I'm all about.

EDIT: I should also say that so far I'm not too keen on the Medic's damaging spells. Flavor just isn't right for me, I guess.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

vanbags posted:

You'll get scaled up to the max level of the battleground bracket (14 at that level) but you'll only have what abilities you've unlocked in PvE.

Why did they go with moodie masks?

Syrek
Jan 13, 2010

Meeeeeeeeehhh
I dunno 'bout that
So how the hell do you get this fatty down from the cage?

According to my research :eng101: he should drop an item that starts a quest but hell if I could figure this out.

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!
So far I'm having trouble reading quest text because it's so scattered around the screen. Floating above some guy's head near the top left of the screen in 8 point font with my responses being on the bottom right. Is there any mod to make talking to NPCs not terrible?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Adventures are outrageously good experience if the first one is anything to go by, so once you hit 15 you can just queue up as a healer and board the express train to 50.

We're talking like gaining like 1-2 levels per run.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Syrek posted:

So how the hell do you get this fatty down from the cage?

According to my research :eng101: he should drop an item that starts a quest but hell if I could figure this out.

When I was there he was flying around in circles and you could just hit the ground under him to pull him down.

tjume
Feb 8, 2009

Cerevisiae posted:

So far I'm having trouble reading quest text because it's so scattered around the screen. Floating above some guy's head near the top left of the screen in 8 point font with my responses being on the bottom right. Is there any mod to make talking to NPCs not terrible?
http://www.curse.com/ws-addons/wildstar/220069-classicquestdialog this should help.

Anybody else have addon settings reset sometimes?
I'm turning off friendly npc nameplates in bijiplates and there is a high chance I'll have to turn them off again with the next login.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*

Poultron posted:

So what does everybody think of the healers in this game? I don't think I'll have enough time personally to level them up to a sufficient level during Open Beta, and frankly the levelling seems slow enough that it will be a bit of a pain to level them all on Live as well. For reference, I play a Mistweaver Monk in WoW - I like the mobility and flexible damage options the class offers.

But really I'm open to whichever one is the most Fun. I'd love to play an Aurin, but they can't be my first 3 class choices :downs: And Spellslinger doesn't really seem like a healing style I'm all about.

EDIT: I should also say that so far I'm not too keen on the Medic's damaging spells. Flavor just isn't right for me, I guess.

I'm having the same issue since the healing stuff comes so much later on in each class's skill development that initial impressions don't work.

From what I can tell though: Esper is smart heals, Spellslinger is targeted burst heals, and Medic has close ranged aoe/shield heals.

I think I might end up going with Esper since they seem to have the most leeway when it comes to loving up.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

tjume posted:

I'm turning off friendly npc nameplates in bijiplates and there is a high chance I'll have to turn them off again with the next login.

Yup. Stock UI components, too, I have to reset my bags to show prestige every time I log in. I hope they're getting bug reports about their unreliable UI configuration persistence.

Poultron posted:

I'm also coming from a Mistweaver, and yeah, I think the class to be here is Medic. I wasn't too pleased with the Medic's flavor initially either, but it starts to mesh with the way the class plays. Mobile as can be - two blinks, most heals seem to be A-OK on the move. I think it'll be easy to work a couple DPS skills into the rotation once I have more skill slots open.

Fair warning though - I haven't tried the Esper nor Spellslinger yet.

Dosvidanya posted:

From what I can tell though: Esper is smart heals, Spellslinger is targeted burst heals, and Medic has close ranged aoe/shield heals.

Yeah, this too, Medic's generally close-range and in the melee. It bears some resemblance to fistweaving.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
I'm having a really tough time choosing between Spellslinger and Esper for launch.

I want to primarily raid at endgame and maybe do some light PvP

Spellslingers have some insane mobility and damage but I love the way 90% of the esper abilities work/look

Poultron
May 26, 2006

straw man posted:

I'm also coming from a Mistweaver, and yeah, I think the class to be here is Medic. I wasn't too pleased with the Medic's flavor initially either, but it starts to mesh with the way the class plays. Mobile as can be - two blinks, most heals seem to be A-OK on the move. I think it'll be easy to work a couple DPS skills into the rotation once I have more skill slots open. Medic's generally close-range and in the melee. It bears some resemblance to fistweaving.

Sounds great, I'll try at least hitting 15 and doing some Adventures. Now I have to decide if I can stomach the comically evil Dominion or if I just have to give up playing something cute and go with Exiles.

Poultron fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 11, 2014

Thanatos Mazus
May 30, 2007
Obscure
Does anybody know the option/addon that puts orange markers with distances over party members' heads? I was watching a tanking video and noticed that the person playing had this set up. I couldn't find an in-game option or a curse add-on that seemed to fit the description.

Found it: GroupRadar

Thanatos Mazus fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 11, 2014

Syrek
Jan 13, 2010

Meeeeeeeeehhh
I dunno 'bout that
Speeding through Celestion at 300% propelled by invisible flags and leaping for miles when you hit a trampoline mushroom.
Explorer is the best path.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Mechari males have the worst running animation :/ Sucks because I would really love to play a Mechari, but I can't get over how horrible it looks when I move. Guess it's Chua for me.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Doublestep posted:

I'm having a really tough time choosing between Spellslinger and Esper for launch.

Spellslingers have some insane mobility and damage but I love the way 90% of the esper abilities work/look

Spellslingers have dual pistols and a cowboy hat.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

jabro posted:

Spellslingers have dual pistols and a cowboy hat.

This is pretty much all anyone should need.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

straw man posted:

Imagine four balls at the edge of a cliff.

Use the proper graphic, showing 2*pi radians in a circle.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

I like Medic, but Medic seems to be one of the most popular classes by far and that irks my unique snowflake.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Phrasing posted:

I like Medic, but Medic seems to be one of the most popular classes by far and that irks my unique snowflake.

I, too, am this goony.

But not goony enough to give up my fun.

y_y
Oct 25, 2011

conversationalist

Thanatos Mazus posted:

Does anybody know the option/addon that puts orange markers with distances over party members' heads? I was watching a tanking video and noticed that the person playing had this set up. I couldn't find an in-game option or a curse add-on that seemed to fit the description.

I have a surprisingly hard time of keeping track of party members in this game (and the default nameplate configuration doesn't help).

The Steer-Addon is very nearly great, but I'd love an option where LMB and RMB are only changed to your primary / secondary abilities when free look is on.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Thanatos Mazus posted:

The closest I can think of is Heal Buddy but the screenshots don't look quite like that. Another way around it might be DotPlates to simplify what you're seeing. There's a bunch of other addons for just finding party members while out and about if that's what you wanted, but I'm guessing since you were watching a dungeon video you wanted something for that.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

Adam Bowen posted:

Use the proper graphic, showing 2*pi radians in a circle.

More instructive, but less meme-compatible.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

By the way, are there any Exile goons left on the Nexus server? OP seems to think it's dead, but I'd love to talk to some goons in game during Open Beta.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Poultron posted:

By the way, are there any Exile goons left on the Nexus server? OP seems to think it's dead, but I'd love to talk to some goons in game during Open Beta.

I am since I'm going Dominion for release. Character names are DeadChick and LukeDuke.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Doublestep posted:

I haven't been able to decide on a (ranged) class either. I love Spellslinger for the mobility but they have some pretty big issues at the moment:

- Two of the major, must-have AMPs (Trigger Fingers and Power Surge) are extremely hard to get.
- The current iteration of Spell Surge is really clunky and un-fun (in my opinion) but it's already been changed so many times that I doubt we'll see further revision before launch.
- SS DPS is currently parsing at or near the bottom in raids.

All of that is of course fixable (I'm least concerned about DPS issues as I'm sure the devs will be keeping a close watch on it), but it feels like a big risk to count on them revising Spell Surge again.

On the other hand, Esper does have some mobility issues, which may be a hassle if you look at how raids are being designed. Medic still seems to be considered a ranged class by Carbine, but recent changes make it play more like a melee class.

I just started leveling an Esper so I'll probably get that up to 25 or so and see which class feels more fun. Carbine is promising constant class revision, so if they hold their word on that then any decisions made based on beta probably won't wind up mattering anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wet Fifty
Dec 6, 2005

Greetings from the inner-
city, high-humidity, ass
and titty bar.
Anyone in the bad rats guild on that can invite "Chupathingie"

edit: Never mind. I Enjoyed my time in the closed beta, but after taking a step back, this really is just an unfun grind. Maybe it's the game's fault, maybe I just don't like MMOs anymore.

Wet Fifty fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 11, 2014

• Locked thread