Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Wubbles posted:

What? It is! That sort of talk risks affecting people in a very destructive manner. I'm not saying that any of you, personally, are going to make people abuse alcohol, but individual affirmations like these do make some contribution.

There's a reason people are going out of their way to tell the guy who was talking about killing himself that he should get help.

I was the first person to tell him to get help.
What is your point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

A Bag of Milk posted:

Yeah, weed is a lot better at making hopelessness and disillusionment bearable.

Agreed. I can vape cannabis and feel much better about things, at least for a little bit. When I drink it usually turns to me drinking brandy in a dark room and meditating upon my inevitable death. Well not so much my death as the likely terrible bullshit in between and hoping its not going to be too terrible.

Unfortunately drug testing kind of puts a damper on the use of cannabis, so it's either sober thoughts of desperation or brandy infused meditation upon inevitable death.

AstheWorldWorlds fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 12, 2014

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I had a Moscow Mule tonight with Peach Vodka during Mother's Day dinner. It was... actually really good.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Wubbles posted:

If there so many unhappy people in this thread, "prescribing" drinking is extremely irresponsible.

The political issues are not intractable, and the environmental ones aren't going to become severely threatening for a while yet. There is still so much time for things to get better.

Can't you read the thread title?! Everything is hosed, why bother fixing it, it's too late for us

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Wubbles posted:

If there so many unhappy people in this thread, "prescribing" drinking is extremely irresponsible.

We're not. We're engaging in harm reduction by steering people away from rye shots and showing them a less degenerative, more thoughtful way to drink themselves blind.

And yes the environment is completely hosed and it is too late for us to have any say in it. It will either find a way to stabilize on its own, or it won't.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Miltank posted:

a six pack of natty ice tall boys were 4 bucks at hyvee this evening

e: it was a fiscally sound decision

I thought hyvee was just an Iowa thing

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Wubbles posted:

What? It is! That sort of talk risks affecting people in a very destructive manner. I'm not saying that any of you, personally, are going to make people abuse alcohol, but singular affirmations like these can make some contribution.

There's a reason people are going out of their way to tell the guy who was talking about killing himself that he should get help.

You're right, but this thread loves its booze so welp

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
I take a lot of meth to better understand the Republican approach to Benghazi

wikipedia posted:

The psychological effects of methamphetamine can include euphoria, dysphoria, changes in libido, alertness, apprehension, concentration, decreased sense of fatigue, insomnia or wakefulness, self-confidence, sociability, irritability, restlessness, grandiosity and repetitive and obsessive behaviors. Methamphetamine use also has a high association with anxiety, depression, methamphetamine psychosis, suicide, and violent behaviors. Methamphetamine also has a very high addiction risk.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Wubbles posted:

The political issues are not intractable, and the environmental ones aren't going to become severely threatening for a while yet. There is still so much time for things to get better.

Haha looks like some people deal with these issues with MDMA.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Wubbles posted:

The problem isn't the environmental factors directly. The problem is the environmental factors triggering chaos that sets off along political fault lines. See for example Syria, where the revolution can get traced to a drought in the eastern provinces pushing things over the edge. Or most of the 1600s, where the Little Ice Age set off a ton of wars, massacres, and revolutions. And the environmental factors will be enough to set of stressed political ties long before they themselves are an issue

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

agarjogger posted:

We're not. We're engaging in harm reduction by steering people away from rye shots and showing them a less degenerative, more thoughtful way to drink themselves blind.

What about bourbon on the rocks? Acceptable?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

A Bag of Milk posted:

Yeah, weed is a lot better at making hopelessness and disillusionment bearable.

Weed sucks, amphetamines are hella better for getting high.

Er, I don't have any of this hopelessness or disillusionment crap so maybe if I did it would be better? Seriously doubt it tho, weed really is weaksauce to me.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
See, Wubbles, this derail is your fault. Feel better?

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

forbidden lesbian posted:

Weed sucks, amphetamines are hella better for getting high.

Er, I don't have any of this hopelessness or disillusionment crap so maybe if I did it would be better? Seriously doubt it tho, weed really is weaksauce to me.

What is your secret? Is it the amphetamines?

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Fried Chicken posted:

The problem isn't the environmental factors directly. The problem is the environmental factors triggering chaos that sets off along political fault lines. See for example Syria, where the revolution can get traced to a drought in the eastern provinces pushing things over the edge. Or most of the 1600s, where the Little Ice Age set off a ton of wars, massacres, and revolutions. And the environmental factors will be enough to set of stressed political ties long before they themselves are an issue

Put your faith in the police state, comrade. :commissar:

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Probably that and the knowledge that everything has always been fairly hosed; this is all just business as usual.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

quote:

There have been 16999 posts made by forbidden lesbian, an average of 33.37 posts per day, since registering on Dec 18, 2012.

Ah

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

My secret is having fun with friends and not caring about politics off the internet. Seriously, the way y'all talk it's like you have no social lives.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Dystram posted:

Is that your argument? Come back when you can actually write about it and justify it. I'm not going to say you are right or wrong but your effort loving sucked. Try harder.

Or was that sarcasm? Your sarcasm sucks. :)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Yeah, I uh, I take a lot of speed.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

My secret is having fun with friends and not caring about politics off the internet. Seriously, the way y'all talk it's like you have no social lives.

I enjoy the fact that these two posts are next to each other

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

In some ways having a social life or ties to family makes it worse, more people to worry about. Having my son made fairly abstract problems in the future seem much more concrete.

Wubbles
Oct 30, 2011

Oh, yeah. Well, at least I've been reminded of how good I am at suppressing unhappy things.

At any rate, it's probably not a great idea to advocate destructive behavior in what is apparently a hub for the depressed, be it alcohol abuse or murdering bankers or whatever else.

Pohl posted:

See, Wubbles, this derail is your fault. Feel better?

see the difference one comment can make? :smug:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Saagonsa posted:

I enjoy the fact that these two posts are next to each other

Hey, i phone-post a lot and also am good at quickly switching apps, so instead of people seeing me post here, they see me looking at something less embarrassing like anime.

Wait a minute...

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Wubbles posted:

Oh, yeah. Well, at least I've been reminded of how good I am at suppressing unhappy things.

At any rate, it's probably not a great idea to advocate destructive behavior in what is apparently a hub for the depressed, be it alcohol abuse or murdering bankers or whatever else.

see the difference one comment can make? :smug:

Yeah, the next thing you know we will be riding our fixed bikes on non bike lanes. By god, we are going to revolt. This hub, is a forum with tens of thousands of viewers. If one person is suicidal, that doesn't make it a loving 'hub', which I'm sure you know. Your comment was dumb, so you managed to gently caress the thread up while people piled over each other to tell you how loving dumb you were.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I'm legitimately not sure why you would get stressed about about potential problems 40, 50, 60 years down the line. A shitton can happen during that time that can't possibly be predicted, and being a prophet of doom about such things strikes me as reveling in depression. To sum up, everything has always been varying degrees of hosed, life has always been varying degrees of poo poo, and anticipations, good and bad, have always turned out to be varying degrees of disappointments. All anyone can hope to do is roll with it; sometimes you even can.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Pohl posted:

Is that your argument? Come back when you can actually write about it and justify it. I'm not going to say you are right or wrong but your effort loving sucked. Try harder.

Or was that sarcasm? Your sarcasm sucks. :)

Facetiousness, actually. :smuggo:

Dystram fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 12, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Dystram posted:

I'm torn between thinking that the elites were planning ahead with the buildup and programs and remembering that they have fully bought their own bullshit that none of this is actually a problem and the good times will resume as soon as they sit on the throne again.

Between Bush's program of building the infrastructure and legal opinions to allow for a massive crackdown, and the fact you don't spend 80 billion dollars a year to track illiterate assholes in afghan caves, it really seems that the elites know everything is about to go to poo poo and have focused on stealing everything they can before it goes to poo poo, and using mass repression to hold it afterwards. But that would require a level of understanding, foresight, planning, and control that just doesn't show up at any level when you actually look at these guys. If it was A) poo poo like the Great Recession wouldn't have happened, and B) they'd probably be tilting towards more cost effective solutions to buy the plebes off. The truth is those bastards are every bit as dumb and uncoordinated as anyone else, and this is more an emergent phenomena of "Hey, James sells military grade gear to police forces, lets let James get in on this gravy train, he'll come to me for a loan to expand his plants, so I'll get a bigger 'performance' bonus!" Thinking there is anyone at the wheel, anyone with a plan, anyone who can pull us all through it even if it isn't in our individual best interests, is just wishful thinking and that quirk of the brain where we ascribe thinking actors to observed random patterns.

We are so completely and utterly hosed.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 12, 2014

Wubbles
Oct 30, 2011

I was using "hub" sarcastically, and whatever. I'm not sure why you're so upset about what I said - it was not incorrect - and it's pretty silly to claim it's an obstacle to the discussion of anything else. If there was anything more relevant or interesting to say, it would be said.

edit: And, for what it's worth, I wasn't blaming you for anything.

Wubbles fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 12, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fried Chicken posted:

We are so completely and utterly hosed

Chill the hell out.

I'm not even that old but I remember when everything was supposed to fall apart by like 2010.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Fried Chicken posted:

I'm torn between thinking that the elites were planning ahead with the buildup and programs and remembering that they have fully bought their own bullshit that none of this is actually a problem and the good times will resume as soon as they sit on the throne again.

Between Bush's program of building the infrastructure and legal opinions to allow for a massive crackdown, and the fact you don't spend 80 billion dollars a year to track illiterate assholes in afghan caves, it really seems that the elites know everything is about to go to poo poo and have focused on stealing everything they can before it goes to poo poo, and using mass repression to hold it afterwards. But that would require a level of understanding, foresight, planning, and control that just doesn't show up at any level when you actually look at these guys. If it was A) poo poo like the Great Recession wouldn't have happened, and B) they'd probably be tilting towards more cost effective solutions to buy the plebes off. The truth is those bastards are every bit as dumb and uncoordinated as anyone else, and this is more an emergent phenomena of "Hey, James sells military grade gear to police forces, lets let James get in on this gravy train, he'll come to me for a loan to expand his plants, so I'll get a bigger 'performance' bonus!"

Unless the Great Recession was a pre-planned economic explosion intended to stall climate change for a little bit longer, to give them more time. I mean, what do you think they talk about all day at Bilderberg. :tinfoil:

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

Between Bush's program of building the infrastructure and legal opinions to allow for a massive crackdown, and the fact you don't spend 80 billion dollars a year to track illiterate assholes in afghan caves, it really seems that the elites know everything is about to go to poo poo and have focused on stealing everything they can before it goes to poo poo, and using mass repression to hold it afterwards. But that would require a level of understanding, foresight, planning, and control that just doesn't show up at any level when you actually look at these guys. If it was A) poo poo like the Great Recession wouldn't have happened, and B) they'd probably be tilting towards more cost effective solutions to buy the plebes off. The truth is those bastards are every bit as dumb and uncoordinated as anyone else, and this is more an emergent phenomena of "Hey, James sells military grade gear to police forces, lets let James get in on this gravy train, he'll come to me for a loan to expand his plants, so I'll get a bigger 'performance' bonus!"

It all comes down to whether you think our system selects for desirable or undesirable traits. If you believe it to be the latter, then elites should be somewhere between distrusted and reviled. It's the reason that most of us would take a random draft system to staff the Congress over what we've got now, or even what we had in the 50's. But as Chris Hayes writes, our elites demonstrate over and over and over again their complete unfitness to wield power of any magnitude. It's why Donald Trump irks regular wealthy guys so loving much, since he draws attention to their shared shortcomings, but since this is America that's balanced by absurd, maximally disheartening popular worship of him.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

Between Bush's program of building the infrastructure and legal opinions to allow for a massive crackdown, and the fact you don't spend 80 billion dollars a year to track illiterate assholes in afghan caves, it really seems that the elites know everything is about to go to poo poo and have focused on stealing everything they can before it goes to poo poo, and using mass repression to hold it afterwards. But that would require a level of understanding, foresight, planning, and control that just doesn't show up at any level when you actually look at these guys. If it was A) poo poo like the Great Recession wouldn't have happened, and B) they'd probably be tilting towards more cost effective solutions to buy the plebes off. The truth is those bastards are every bit as dumb and uncoordinated as anyone else, and this is more an emergent phenomena of "Hey, James sells military grade gear to police forces, lets let James get in on this gravy train, he'll come to me for a loan to expand his plants, so I'll get a bigger 'performance' bonus!" Thinking there is anyone at the wheel, anyone with a plan, anyone who can pull us all through it even if it isn't in our individual best interests, is just wishful thinking and that quirk of the brain where we ascribe thinking actors to observed random patterns.

Don't drunkpost.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Hey kids, just remember that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. You may not think anyone cares about you, but I promise, there's more to heaven and earth. You'd be missed. I've been down that road - not as far as some people, but far enough to know that I don't want to go back.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

fool_of_sound posted:

Don't drunkpost.

*thread dies*

Fried Chicken posted:

Basically this but not coordinated. It's just a bunch of assholes destroying everything by acting in their own individual self interests. It only looks like they're colluding because we're all being so thoroughly shafted from all directions simultaneously.

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 12, 2014

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

*thread dies*

yeah can we apply for a mod exemption to this rule.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I get through the day by remembering that Alzheimer's and dementia run through both sides of my family and hoping I'll be too far gone to care about the famine riots when they come in 50 years.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

This thread's always a great reassurance that I'm doing right by myself by being a teetotaler. Holy mother of Christ, some of you people need to take up cooking or something.

Seriously, bake a pizza from scratch or something. It's very fulfilling, doesn't pickle your brain, and then you have a delicious pizza to eat afterwards. It's like finding a $20 bill in your pocket and then realizing it's folded around a $100. Cooking owns.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Mo0 posted:

Can't you read the thread title?! Everything is hosed, why bother fixing it, it's too late for us

Everything is hosed. We know that. But that doesn't mean it has to stay hosed. We can do our best to improve things, for other people, and for their children, and their children's children. Give people a hand up from homelessness. Educate those who think they're just having fun. Inspire people to do right.

Slowly, and with great pain, we are doing our best to improve things for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Warcabbit posted:

Everything is hosed. We know that. But that doesn't mean it has to stay hosed. We can do our best to improve things, for other people, and for their children, and their children's children. Give people a hand up from homelessness. Educate those who think they're just having fun. Inspire people to do right.

Slowly, and with great pain, we are doing our best to improve things for everyone.

I really enjoy when you and I post in succession with different tones. It's like the BBC giving equal time.

• Locked thread