Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

aegeryn posted:

Respecced to a Mundane build, dagger in the main hand, Monastery Scimitar in the off, and went bellcopping. Casters still destroy me, but those sweet, sweet 2000 damage ripostes are so nice to the part of me that needs giant numbers. :allears:

I do this and I ran into another guy doing the same thing the other day. We both just stood in front of each other mashing L2 for a solid minute before I decided to jump to my death as the invader. Good people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
And so my first playthrough (Dex build) is over! Fire arrows worked great on lastboss, everything else in the game died to a billion Scimitar hits give or take.

Any suggestions for my next playthrough? Would like to try something different, and so far I'm thinking Faith build with heavy as gently caress armor and even a shield this time, or maybe a pure caster. Loving the game at any rate.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So how bad does the damage of a miracle or spell get wrecked when you lower the requirements? Like say I took lightning spear and set it as low as it could go after playing through to NG+forever and used it on a character with like 5 faith. What kind of damage would be expected? Vaguely related, what's the best infusion for it?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Maxmaps posted:

And so my first playthrough (Dex build) is over! Fire arrows worked great on lastboss, everything else in the game died to a billion Scimitar hits give or take.

Any suggestions for my next playthrough? Would like to try something different, and so far I'm thinking Faith build with heavy as gently caress armor and even a shield this time, or maybe a pure caster. Loving the game at any rate.

Go 100% pure melee tank build and buy a red eye ring and tank every boss for hosts.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nuebot posted:

So how bad does the damage of a miracle or spell get wrecked when you lower the requirements? Like say I took lightning spear and set it as low as it could go after playing through to NG+forever and used it on a character with like 5 faith. What kind of damage would be expected? Vaguely related, what's the best infusion for it?

Lowest you can lower spell reqs is 10. If by best infusion, you mean for the chime, lightning. It doesn't decrease the damage that much; scaling has minute effect on damage compared to base damage in 95% of cases.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I just figured out that you can skip the smelter demon :monocle:

There's a small valve in the center of the large arena where you find the zweihander & dull ember, which turns the furnace in the middle off and allows you access to a ladder that takes you just past the smelter demon's room.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

There's this host who spawns you and immediately uses WoG when you enter, then proceeds to spam GRS etc.

I've taken a liking to using force on him until he falls into the lava.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Go 100% pure melee tank build and buy a red eye ring and tank every boss for hosts.

Sounds like a plan! Is this something I just do by pumping a ton of strength or is this the kind of thing where I can throw in some magic? I think I've used magic like... once, as in a single cast, in Dark Souls 1 and 2 combined.

Edit: Also, huh, I guess there's a downside to getting all sorts of things done ingame while the Steam servers were fidgety. Missing a few cheevos!

Maxmaps fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 12, 2014

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Genocyber posted:

Lowest you can lower spell reqs is 10. If by best infusion, you mean for the chime, lightning. It doesn't decrease the damage that much; scaling has minute effect on damage compared to base damage in 95% of cases.

I actually somehow forgot an entire sentence there! I meant to say Moonlight Greatsword! I want to dabble in a mage fightyman build or something and use it but I'm not sure what would be better, the magic damage infusion or the one that adds a faith infusion. Or just leaving it at regular +5.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I actually somehow forgot an entire sentence there! I meant to say Moonlight Greatsword! I want to dabble in a mage fightyman build or something and use it but I'm not sure what would be better, the magic damage infusion or the one that adds a faith infusion. Or just leaving it at regular +5.

Pure magic is gonna be better than magic/lightning split. If you have very high Int (i.e. 50) infuse it with magic, otherwise leave it normal (since making it magic ups the scaling but decreases the base damage).

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
Just lost almost like 100k souls in Dragon Shrine. Kind of lame that my soul memory still counts them, but that resets in NG+ right?

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

folgore posted:

Just lost almost like 100k souls in Dragon Shrine. Kind of lame that my soul memory still counts them, but that resets in NG+ right?

No but in NG+ 100k souls won't be much at all.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Well I found the crushed eye orb and Jesus lady, Lautrec you ain't.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.
I just got to Belfry Luna and I'm getting invaded by 2 enemies at once every time I go through the door. At first I thought 'hax!' because everyone I fight is able to hit me from like 3x the range of their swords, and none of my spells seem able to hit anything. But then I watched some videos and it looks like... that's normal?

I'm probably not going to ever be good enough at this game to fight two invaders and then beat the boss, too. Is there any drawback to, I dunno, pulling the plug on my network for the duration of the level? Is there some other way past the PvP roadblock here that I should be using instead?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

isildur posted:

I just got to Belfry Luna and I'm getting invaded by 2 enemies at once every time I go through the door. At first I thought 'hax!' because everyone I fight is able to hit me from like 3x the range of their swords, and none of my spells seem able to hit anything. But then I watched some videos and it looks like... that's normal?

I'm probably not going to ever be good enough at this game to fight two invaders and then beat the boss, too. Is there any drawback to, I dunno, pulling the plug on my network for the duration of the level? Is there some other way past the PvP roadblock here that I should be using instead?

Nope! Setting Steam to offline is a little less barbaric though. Just do it before you enter the Belfry Luna proper, there might be consequences for cutting the connection when an invader has already arrived.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

isildur posted:

You won't miss anything by cutting the connection, no.

Alternatively, if there are summon signs past the entrance door you could try summoning someone for help.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

isildur posted:

The only way to get past PvP in the Belfries other than playing offline is to join the Champions covenant, which would put the game into a kind of hard mode. You can't burn an effigy to bypass Belfry Luna or Sol. If it bothers you, just play offline until you beat the boss and get all the stuff.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Cowcaster posted:

Nope! Setting Steam to offline is a little less barbaric though. Just do it before you enter the Belfry Luna proper, there might be consequences for cutting the connection when an invader has already arrived.

Yeah, I wouldn't intentionally gently caress up someone else's PvP gameplay. But if I can't hit with resonant soul or dark orb, I ain't gonna win the fight, ever (and I've seen them visually strike a target who takes no damage so).

Steam offline it is, then. Stupid belfry.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I don't really like how getting souls is punishing in this game. In previous games, getting souls was how you leveled up and was always an achievement when you got a large amount. It still works the same, but every soul becomes a burden that can be "wasted" by using it on supplies and ultimately becoming underleveled compared to people who used their souls to level up. And if you lose those souls, its not a moment of defeat that can be recovered from through perseverance, its a game-long punishment of loss of equality in pvp.

Its a change of game design I can't really understand. Another is the combination of regressing max health on death and making humanity very limited (until late-game). Death should be a learning experience and part of the risk-reward system of holding on to souls between bonfires. The loss of life and potential gimping for long stretches of the game seems needlessly punitive.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

The only way to get past PvP in the Belfries other than playing offline is to join the Champions covenant, which would put the game into a kind of hard mode. You can't burn an effigy to bypass Belfry Luna or Sol. If it bothers you, just play offline until you beat the boss and get all the stuff.

Pretty sure CoC does nothing to invasions, it only prevents Co-op

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Average Bear posted:

I don't really like how getting souls is punishing in this game. In previous games, getting souls was how you leveled up and was always an achievement when you got a large amount. It still works the same, but every soul becomes a burden that can be "wasted" by using it on supplies and ultimately becoming underleveled compared to people who used their souls to level up. And if you lose those souls, its not a moment of defeat that can be recovered from through perseverance, its a game-long punishment of loss of equality in pvp.

Its a change of game design I can't really understand. Another is the combination of regressing max health on death and making humanity very limited (until late-game). Death should be a learning experience and part of the risk-reward system of holding on to souls between bonfires. The loss of life and potential gimping for long stretches of the game seems needlessly punitive.

Except unless you never level up and spend all your money on titanite or whatever it'll never actually punish you for buying things. You also get refilled on everything by helping people kill a boss.

Domattee posted:

Pretty sure CoC does nothing to invasions, it only prevents Co-op

Then I fail to see any reason to ever bother with that covenant. What's the point?

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 12, 2014

isildur
May 31, 2000

Average Bear posted:

I dunno about PvP equality; that does seem stupid. But humanity is easy: just co-op a boss, and if it really bugs you, wear and repair a life protection ring. The whole game got so much easier once I realized I could de-Hollow by dropping a summon sign and waiting for a few minutes to fight an easy boss.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Maxmaps posted:

Sounds like a plan! Is this something I just do by pumping a ton of strength or is this the kind of thing where I can throw in some magic? I think I've used magic like... once, as in a single cast, in Dark Souls 1 and 2 combined.

Edit: Also, huh, I guess there's a downside to getting all sorts of things done ingame while the Steam servers were fidgety. Missing a few cheevos!

Just stack Vit End and Adp with enough str/dex to use big loving shields and armour.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Average Bear posted:

Humanity isn't limited, except for the very, very, very early game.

You got the small white soapstone right? Get summoned with that, kill dudes for 5 minutes in some other guy's world without dying, and you get your humanity fully restored. And all your equipment repaired to full. And all your spells recharged. And all your estus flasks filled.

Use your small white soapstone.

(You could also use your regular white soapstone and kill a boss for the same effect.)

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 12, 2014

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Cowcaster posted:

Well I found the crushed eye orb and Jesus lady, Lautrec you ain't.

Are you kidding? She's comically evil, she just doesn't have an evil laugh and leave an autographed note at the crime scene.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Except unless you never level up and spend all your money on titanite or whatever it'll never actually punish you for buying things. You also get refilled on everything by helping people kill a boss.

Then I fail to see any reason to ever bother with that covenant. What's the point?

You already said what the point is: hard mode.

Also punchy punch punch punch

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Mystic Mongol posted:

Are you kidding? She's comically evil, she just doesn't have an evil laugh and leave an autographed note at the crime scene.

I meant more that all she did was blast me across the room once with wrath of the gods and then huddled in the corner trying to heal repeatedly while I burnt all my stamina interrupting everything she did with a mace to the face.

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk
Man I wish I could get a fight with her where she just tried to heal all the time.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I understand how the game works but a new player has absolutely no idea about what I know. It's not that the lack of solid humanity can't be worked around, its that the feature is never really explained. That might be a thing in Souls games, but players are more likely to get frustrated and give up than look for hints that aren't there for a solution.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Except the soul memory will still be there if you buy things. If a player spends a lot of time trying to upgrade his weapons, buy lifegems, or dying a lot, he will end up far behind players in his soul bracket. This kind of defeats the point of the system to begin with.

Also that covenant gives a ring that boosts fist damage. Basically a bragging rights covenant.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Oh.

Yeah, she can get trapped in a pattern pretty easily.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mystic Mongol posted:

Lautrec had style. Lautrec was a cool guy. She's just a poor imitator :colbert:

Granted she completely wiped the floor with me becuase the one time I fought her she had been asceticd to NG+ and I didn't have a shield to block wrath of god.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Plus the changes to the Protection rings (and the ability to wear more rings) makes losing souls easier to prevent. This isn't to say Soul Memory is good, but overall the game is a bit more forgiving than DS1.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Average Bear posted:

I understand how the game works but a new player has absolutely no idea about what I know. It's not that the lack of solid humanity can't be worked around, its that the feature is never really explained. That might be a thing in Souls games, but players are more likely to get frustrated and give up than look for hints that aren't there for a solution.

Except the soul memory will still be there if you buy things. If a player spends a lot of time trying to upgrade his weapons, buy lifegems, or dying a lot, he will end up far behind players in his soul bracket. This kind of defeats the point of the system to begin with.

Also that covenant gives a ring that boosts fist damage. Basically a bragging rights covenant.

Except it doesn't matter that the soul memory is there because it's just not expensive to upgrade poo poo (also don't buy lifegems, why would you ever do that). It would be incredibly difficult to actually fall behind people in any meaningful way through just buying poo poo. To the point that you'd actively have to be trying to do it. At worst if you're a heavy spender you might end up one or two levels behind someone that just upgraded one armor set/weapon. This is not the problem you think it is.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Plus the changes to the Protection rings (and the ability to wear more rings) makes losing souls easier to prevent. This isn't to say Soul Memory is good, but overall the game is a bit more forgiving than DS1.

That's true. The risk reward factor isn't really even all there with bonfires being so close together. So losing souls, which you are told in the prologue is a natural and expected thing to do, is just time pissed away.

What I'm saying is Soul Memory can eat a dick.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

What's the difference between the life protection rings and the soul protection ring I picked up anyway? The soul protection ring additionally prevents petrification? I thought at first the life rings would just protect from losing max hp on death but they preserve your souls too.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

What's the difference between the life protection rings and the soul protection ring I picked up anyway? The soul protection ring additionally prevents petrification? I thought at first the life rings would just protect from losing max hp on death but they preserve your souls too.

One just saves your souls for you, the other also saves you from petrification. I forget which is which. You'd really have to be trying to be petrified though.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
They both protect souls, but the petrification one (green 6k repair one) will save you from Basilisks. But since they're not really dangerous, its really just a backup soul saving ring :v:

edit: They also save your humanity!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Manatee Cannon posted:

One just saves your souls for you, the other also saves you from petrification. I forget which is which. You'd really have to be trying to be petrified though.

I'm about 99% sure that if you've got a life protection ring on and you die you don't get hollowed either.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

I'm about 99% sure that if you've got a life protection ring on and you die you don't get hollowed either.

Yes, you're right. It still counts as a death though.

Actually in ng++ I have like 12 of the things and am never hollow anymore. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Average Bear posted:

They both protect souls, but the petrification one (green 6k repair one) will save you from Basilisks. But since they're not really dangerous, its really just a backup soul saving ring :v:

edit: They also save your humanity!

That's kind of a wet fart of a ring then. Not to bring down the wrath of the balance gods but seems like one saving humanity and the other saving souls makes more sense.

Albeit you don't get the soul saving one until late in the game.