Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GuestBob posted:

Question for Henan Goons: how many of you guys are or have been on multiple year RPs?

I was only ever on 1 year permits. I don't think I ever met an ESL teacher on a multiple year visa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Hmm, the E/E PSB nationwide are now capable of issuing multiple year RPs but some provincial SAFEA offices are dragging their heels with multi-year FECs.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

SB35 posted:

Used bank of China and ICBC to pull out cash in the USA. Worked great, good rate.

Yup, same for us. We have BoC and ICBC accounts and the PLUS network ATMs gave near-perfect exchange rates. No transaction fee, either, or if there was one, it was tiny enough that I didn't even notice. I was really surprised. The withdrawal limit was pretty low -- I want to say something like $200 or $300 USD -- but that's not a problem if you're not in a hurry, which we weren't.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Protip you can raise the daily transaction limits if you ask the bank nicely.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

MeramJert posted:

Protip you can raise the daily transaction limits if you ask the bank nicely.

Yeah that possibility did occur to me just now, actually. U.S. banks will do that for overseas transactions if you give them heads-up, so I figured Chinese banks probably aren't be any different aside from the 7 hours of your life you will waste explaining it to them whilst whacking yourself in the balls with a hammer if the pain of merely being inside a Chinese bank isn't enough to sate your masochistic needs.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I use CMB and it took me less than 5 minutes to set up. They never asked why, and there wasn't really a line that day.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

blinkyzero posted:

Yeah that possibility did occur to me just now, actually. U.S. banks will do that for overseas transactions if you give them heads-up, so I figured Chinese banks probably aren't be any different aside from the 7 hours of your life you will waste explaining it to them whilst whacking yourself in the balls with a hammer if the pain of merely being inside a Chinese bank isn't enough to sate your masochistic needs.

Protip tell someone at the bank when you are upset "我觉得一千年以后人们会在这个银行里找到我的尸体”, it will really make them like you a lot more and rush you to the front actually don't do that

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

MeramJert posted:

I use CMB and it took me less than 5 minutes to set up. They never asked why, and there wasn't really a line that day.

You've never seen someone making GBS threads on the streets and the banks don't waste your entire goddamn day?

I don't doubt you live in China. I just suspect it's this China.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Maybe you should try living in a modern Chinese city?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

goldboilermark posted:

Protip tell someone at the bank when you are upset "我觉得一千年以后人们会在这个银行里找到我的尸体”, it will really make them like you a lot more and rush you to the front actually don't do that

我觉得五千年以后人们会在这个银行里找到我的尸体

that way you appeal to their patriotism

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

MeramJert posted:

Maybe you should try living in a modern Chinese city?

Yuyao is modern. We have an IMAX theater here. :thx::whatup:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

blinkyzero posted:

Yuyao is modern. We have an IMAX theater here. :thx::whatup:

IMAX is from the late 1960s.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

MeramJert posted:

IMAX is from the late 1960s.

Don Imus is from the 1940s.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

blinkyzero posted:

Don Imus is from the 1940s.

Does he live in Yuyao?

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

MeramJert posted:

Does he live in Yuyao?

Does Don Imus live in Yuyao? You're not going to win this argument by bringing in irrelevant facts, mister.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

blinkyzero posted:

Does Don Imus live in Yuyao? You're not going to win this argument by bringing in irrelevant facts, mister.

Excuse me, I'm trying to have a serious discussion here. If you want to troll, please use the other thread.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I for one want to hear more about Don Imus.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Then maybe you should start a thread in Ask/Tell.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

I for one want to hear more about Don Imus.

He once called a bunch of female college basketball players "nappy-headed hos." This is a thing that happened and some people objected.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MeramJert posted:

Then maybe you should start a thread in Ask/Tell.

I don't mean to be rude but you posting outside of the LAN thread is seriously something that makes me chortle every time.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Why?

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

goldboilermark posted:

I don't mean to be rude but you posting outside of the LAN thread is seriously something that makes me chortle every time.

You chortle? Chortle? See, this is why you have all those problems with Australians in bars.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I used to meet an Australian in a bar monthly because we were both in the Shenzhen Scotch Malt Whisky Club. He was easily the most rude member of the club.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I don't know, I just read your posts with no capitalization and it makes them funnier. So I laugh to myself. I hope this explanation helps.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

MeramJert posted:

I used to meet an Australian in a bar monthly because we were both in the Shenzhen Scotch Malt Whisky Club. He was easily the most rude member of the club.

Don Imus is American, but I bet he likes scotch (did you know he was an alcoholic?) and I think most reasonable people would agree he is rude.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Of course he does. Scotch is a top 3 beverage. But I think that's enough of this Imus derail...

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

blinkyzero posted:

You've never seen someone making GBS threads on the streets and the banks don't waste your entire goddamn day?

I don't doubt you live in China. I just suspect it's this China.
For what it's worth, I've been in Dongguan for 3 years and the only street making GBS threads I've encountered was a kid dropping a deuce under dear old grandma's supervision. Street pissing is more common, but again it was all kids.

Then again, it's :siren:DONGGUAN:siren: so all the adults are probably too busy whoring and cooking/smoking meth to street poo poo :v:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MeramJert posted:

Of course he does. Scotch is a top 3 beverage. But I think that's enough of this Imus derail...

Agreed. What are the other three top three beverages btw?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Beer and port.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007
More visa talk. So it turns out the company that I'm contracted to decided they didn't need to pay social security insurance, because foreigners never stay longer than a year, and don't need visa renewals (where they ask for tax receipts and insurance receipts).

Now I want a renewal, and they're asking the labor bureau if I've been a good boy.

Also it's developing into a poo poo fight between my company and the one I'm contracted to in China, over who might pay, maybe.

If the social insurance owed gets paid to the labor bureau, what's my chances of getting a renewal do you think?

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

Everything got even harder since last summer beyond the age thing, they closed a lot of loopholes that used to exist.

As far as I can see, they've killed the visa agency industry. At least the, year long, multi entry, no questions asked visa for a few hundred dollars, industry is dead.

The number of posts on Chinese visa related message boards has shrank to nearly nothing but travel agency spam offering very limited tourist visa.

It's got to have made a small dent in the number of tourists coming to China.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

SB35 posted:

Used bank of China and ICBC to pull out cash in the USA. Worked great, good rate.

I just have a regular Chinese unionpay debit card with ICBC; is there some other kind of card or account I need, or will that work on Plus network in the US?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I have exactly the same thing. It works fine. I opened a second account and sent one card home to the folks so I have a card in both countries and can move cash from one account to another on online banking so I (or my shadowy accomplices) can withdraw the money anywhere.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Trammel posted:

As far as I can see, they've killed the visa agency industry. At least the, year long, multi entry, no questions asked visa for a few hundred dollars, industry is dead.

The number of posts on Chinese visa related message boards has shrank to nearly nothing but travel agency spam offering very limited tourist visa.

It's got to have made a small dent in the number of tourists coming to China.

To be honest, they've needed to reform the process for a long time. There's been too many "creepers" and unqualified people running around China, taking advantage of the system. It's a surprise, though it shouldn't be after living here, that people didn't catch on sooner. I've heard that Japan and even Korea were like this years ago too, when they had their booms, so I guess it happens everywhere.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 12, 2014

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Trammel posted:

More visa talk. So it turns out the company that I'm contracted to decided they didn't need to pay social security insurance, because foreigners never stay longer than a year, and don't need visa renewals (where they ask for tax receipts and insurance receipts).

Now I want a renewal, and they're asking the labor bureau if I've been a good boy.

Also it's developing into a poo poo fight between my company and the one I'm contracted to in China, over who might pay, maybe.

If the social insurance owed gets paid to the labor bureau, what's my chances of getting a renewal do you think?

I don't know. I went three years working on a Z/residence permit and until now I have never paid anything in taxes or social insurance. Never had any issue with renewals.

Sounds like you are already in a situation because you can't legally work on the premises of another company other than the one your Z visa was issued to.

What city are you in? In Beijing there are still a few visa agents offering Z visas. I had a friend just buy one for 13000.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
All right, today I finally killed the Hong Kong project. Last week I received the contract offer, it was a purely local contract, not even paying for my plane tickets or a hotel in the first few weeks :psyduck:. I have been working for this company for 6 years and they wanted to put me on probation for my first 6 months in HK, meaning I could get fired any day and end up stuck on the other side of the planet.

It pissed me off so bad, management are really not living in the real world. So after months of making me believe I would move to HK and of me reading/watching everything I could find about the place, it's now time to close that book. I'll take a job in Cayman Islands instead, unsubscribe from all the China stuff and move on. It was a pleasure meeting all you nongs. :china:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Good call, and good luck!

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Senso posted:

All right, today I finally killed the Hong Kong project. Last week I received the contract offer, it was a purely local contract, not even paying for my plane tickets or a hotel in the first few weeks :psyduck:. I have been working for this company for 6 years and they wanted to put me on probation for my first 6 months in HK, meaning I could get fired any day and end up stuck on the other side of the planet.

It pissed me off so bad, management are really not living in the real world. So after months of making me believe I would move to HK and of me reading/watching everything I could find about the place, it's now time to close that book. I'll take a job in Cayman Islands instead, unsubscribe from all the China stuff and move on. It was a pleasure meeting all you nongs. :china:

That sucks. You made the right call, though. Good luck in the Caymans.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Senso posted:

That sucks. Well at least you won't have to deal with terrible pollution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Senso posted:

put me on probation for my first 6 months in HK, meaning I could get fired any day and end up stuck on the other side of the planet.

Having had that happen holy poo poo did you make the right call.