Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Cowcaster posted:

So am I correct in understanding that in order to fulfill all Navlaan's assassination contracts peacefully, I need to be ready to go into new game+? In order to light the last bonfire on Cale's map and get his stuff I need to kill Nashandra. It's kind of bizarre because every other contract item I've already gotten, so the second I pull that off I'll be able to clear all the other contracts in one fell swoop.

You could also just kill Cale. (Don't do that, get the achievement your first time through)

e: And speaking of killing NPCs, make sure you talk to them through the ends of their conversations and get everything you want before killing them, because some of them (Cale) don't drop the things you would get from talking to them if you do so (Mansion Key).

Daerc fucked around with this message at 09:49 on May 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Mazed posted:

You monster.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Everyone in this thread is mentioning so much poo poo I wonder if I even really played Dark Souls 2 at all.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Calidus posted:

I can Fashion Souls too!

Wow. I love it. What are you wearing?

Also, for the Lingering Dragoncrest Ring +2, do the 100 dark spirits have to be players, or can they also be NPC invaders? If NPC invaders count, do they have to be named invaders, or can you pop any of the unnamed ones that show up?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

If you saw this and instantly felt a rush of bloodthirst then you have been playing Dark Souls II correctly

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Shame the belltower doesn't have any goals for the invader afterwards besides the boss fight (nothing for Luna except grind Mad Warrior which you would do offline anyway). Would certainly keep up supply and demand cycle

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Yes. The only exception is ballista bolts because they count as traps/environment objects. You can't deal damage to friendly players, and hitting friendly phantoms with a weapon is the quickest way to break it (it does more durability damage to the weapon than hitting a corpse).

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Ahaha so that's what that was. I kept punching my afk friend with my chime the other day and it was like half durability before I knew it. I just assumed the chime was fragile.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I started bellbroing with my lower level priestess character that was basically the starter priest class with every single point in faith and att. Getting to that point was kind of annoying since I didn't jump straight to Luna and got recruited at Sol, and since nothing went into Str or Dex at all the only weapons I could use were like, those two broken swords, and the Hand Axe I found above the bonfire by the old lady merchant. Heck, compared to my clubsmashy guy and my 20s Mundane build I find it crazy how I can barely use any weapons, have to strength check on shields and armor, and basically relying on Lighting Spear for 90% of my damage because the Hand Axe sucks so bad.
Then someone reminded me that Lightning Infusion exists.

:aaaaa: The thing became so much better that I went right to bellbroing, got my chunks and went off to grab that slab under the ballista room in the Giants Forest. I'm so amazed at the transformation from barely sufficient piece of poo poo to itching to test this thing out mode. Best thing about it is since the str bonus on it was poo poo in the first place, I lost pretty much nothing when I added the lightning to it :v:

Dodging is pretty terrible because clerics' base ADP is something abysmal like 3, I can really feel the difference and the tiny amount of stamina doesn't help either. Still, it's really fun to play all these different builds.

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell
Hey guys, I bought this yesterday, and I realized this is pretty unplayable on a laptop K&M... So I'll have to buy a gamepad, and was wondering if the logitech f310 is any good, since xbox360 gamepads are out of the question (65-70 euros where I live). I have two 360 pads, but wireless recievers are nowhere to be found in this godforsaken 3rd world country.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Nekrews posted:

Oh man. I just made the jump from PS3 to PC so I could start streaming, and the difference is like night and day. Running this on nax settings sure makes it purdy.

Are there any necessary patches like DSFix or anything like that? Ive only done a few test runs (~45 mins gameplay) and I'm having no issues whatsoever.

I finally started running GeDoSaTo (from the creator of DSFix) after waiting a few weeks to see if they'd stupidly be handing out VAC bans for simple graphic mods (still no definite answer, but I like my odds), and it's like an ice-cream sunday.

Just being able to run things in 16:10 and remove that damned mouse pointer made a world of difference. The rest of the improvements are like a wonderful pile of cherries on top. I also contemplated throwing ENB or SweetFX on top, but often those muck things up more than they improve them unless you dedicate a few hours tweeking the settings area to area to balance them perfectly for your setup. I figured why mess with near perfection?

I'm also using these two texture mods (1) remove buff effects for those lame wavey lines on your from stamina/health regen items and (2) fleshly hollows, to make hollowing more gradual, although hopefully its updated with even more tiers of hollowness. Those are just a matter of personal preference though.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Lemon Curdistan posted:

You can't deal damage to friendly players

Then that brings up another question: what, exactly, counts as a "friendly player"? If a bluebro and a bellbro both end up invading the same host at the same time, are they friendly? Two bellbros? Two red phantoms? And so on.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Mister Blueberry posted:

Hey guys, I bought this yesterday, and I realized this is pretty unplayable on a laptop K&M... So I'll have to buy a gamepad, and was wondering if the logitech f310 is any good, since xbox360 gamepads are out of the question (65-70 euros where I live). I have two 360 pads, but wireless recievers are nowhere to be found in this godforsaken 3rd world country.

If you happen to have a PS3 or PS4 controller there are some super easy programs that allow you to set those up to be read by windows as 360 controllers with the 360 drivers and work near flawlessly.

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

If you happen to have a PS3 or PS4 controller there are some super easy programs that allow you to set those up to be read by windows as 360 controllers with the 360 drivers and work near flawlessly.

I don't own any playstation controllers, and the originals are as expensive as the xbox ones...

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Then that brings up another question: what, exactly, counts as a "friendly player"? If a bluebro and a bellbro both end up invading the same host at the same time, are they friendly? Two bellbros? Two red phantoms? And so on.

As far as I know PvP covenants are different, warring factions and can openly murder each other.

I'm pretty sure red phantoms are at was with each other, too.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Two bell cops are friendly. Anyone else that is there is technically an enemy and you can do damage. If you're the host and you summon a white phantom or sunbro they're friendly, and the blue cops are as well if you have no sin. If you do have sin then obviously they're not, and your phantom helpers can hurt them and vice versa. Everyone is hostile to red phantoms.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

As I understand it:

- White/gold phantoms are always friendly to the host and each other.

- Grey phantoms are unfriendly to the host, friendly to each other.

- Red and blue phantoms are unfriendly to the host and other phantoms.

What this means is that everyone using blue/red orbs should do so in belfries at every opportunity for glorious multi-pvp mayhem. Possibly Rat King areas too, but less of a chance that there'll be grey phantoms joining in the fun.

Though I'm wondering now: Would blue/red phantoms in Rat King zones be hostile to NPC enemies?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

I believe that the Rat King rules supreme in his areas, you can't summon or invade there at all outside of the covenant.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
No one wants to go to his stinking hellholes, not even those filthy red phantoms.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Aww. :(

Well, that just goes to show that the Bell Guardians are superior by way of violent magnanimity!

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Mazed posted:

Though I'm wondering now: Would blue/red phantoms in Rat King zones be hostile to NPC enemies?

You can't use cracked eye orbs in Grave of Saints (I tried it) and probably not in Doors of Pharros either, so I don't think that particular situation ever comes up. Not that I'm sure that matters, because using cracked eye orbs can take you anywhere, including areas you haven't even reached yourself yet. I don't know if you can be summoned as a blue phantom to those areas... iny my playthrough, I got summoned exactly twice, both in Forest of Fallen Giants.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The rats demand one on one (plus mobs plus traps), you can't invade people there. The dragons are also pure 1v1.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Mister Blueberry posted:

Hey guys, I bought this yesterday, and I realized this is pretty unplayable on a laptop K&M
Before you spend money on a controller, you could try and see if an autohotkey script fixes your mouse control issues.
In game, bind the mouse buttons to "nothing" and then use an AHK script to jurryrig the mouse clicks to the keyboard keys you've assigned to attacking. This solves both the input-delay a lot of people have and the double-click issue.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Mister Blueberry posted:

I'm curious where you are. Euros + 3rd world country? Is Amazon/ebay not an option? Got my 360 receiver off Amazon for less than 20 USD and I mostly play on a DS4 using the 3rd party script now

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I wish I had the courage to do gimmick characters.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

I wish I had the courage to do gimmick characters.

If he put more effort into it he could probably make something almost as monstrous

Behold Rad Dude:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Does upgrading armour improve the effects they give or just the damage protection? I'm wearing the lion mage set and hexer's hood so its not like it provides much protection anyway so I've ignored improving it. I really should pump my strength a bit more and find a 100% protection shield. I've been using a large leather shield since the start

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm curious where you are. Euros + 3rd world country? Is Amazon/ebay not an option? Got my 360 receiver off Amazon for less than 20 USD and I mostly play on a DS4 using the 3rd party script now

I'm in Macedonia, Amazon delivers books but no electronics here. And I use euro as the currency since that's how my region is tied to Steam, otherwise i'd use denars, but that wouldn't mean much to anyone...

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Goddamn do dual-wielded craftsman hammers own

e: SINCE WHEN DO 2 SENTINELS JUMP UP ONTO THE LEDGE

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 12:03 on May 12, 2014

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Jose posted:

Does upgrading armour improve the effects they give or just the damage protection? I'm wearing the lion mage set and hexer's hood so its not like it provides much protection anyway so I've ignored improving it. I really should pump my strength a bit more and find a 100% protection shield. I've been using a large leather shield since the start

Only improves damage protection. If you're a spell slinger you should be fine without a 100% shield since you shouldn't be getting hit too much.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Mister Blueberry posted:

I'm in Macedonia, Amazon delivers books but no electronics here. And I use euro as the currency since that's how my region is tied to Steam, otherwise i'd use denars, but that wouldn't mean much to anyone...

You don't have pm's, got an email? Might be able to help you out

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Helping a dude out in the Undead Purgatory. We get all the way to the gate. Then he runs past the gate, falling into the pit beyond it. :cripes:

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Typical, spent what felt like forever trying to find one of these masks for my mage-dude without any luck, one drops from the first caster I killed in Brightstone for my no-magic-guy...

:darksouls:

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Lemon Curdistan posted:

You can't deal damage to friendly players

Did they patch out Lifedrain Patch doing damage to friendlies? Because it was amazing on the PS3 for killing the host when you'd been summoned as a friendly phantom, haven't tried it yet on the PC version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFG07ppe5w8

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Am I meant to be getting invaded by bell Bros in the tower when I am in the covenant and wearing the ring? I though the constant invasions would stop once I joined :negative:

Also has anyone got any tips for the gargoyles? I can never get any hits off as I am instantly ganked by the other gargoyles when I get one into a vulnerable position.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Nope. Being a bellbro doesn't stop invasions in the belfries. Didn't you listen? No one is allowed in the belfries.

No one.

As for the gargoyles, lightning damage really helps. Invest in some pine resin. Try to focus one of them at a time to prevent too many spawning at the same time and hope to get lucky.

NuttO
Oct 22, 2001

sold fifty gold sixty platinum

Mister Blueberry posted:

I've been using the Logitech F310, and for the most part it's fine. There has been one big problem for me, though: I can't reliably perform a guard break or a jumping R2. Either it's a problem with the deadzone on the sticks (it's quite large), or it's unique to my controller. I was still able to get through the game just fine, though. I didn't really have much need for the guard break outside of some early enemies.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Nope. Being a bellbro doesn't stop invasions in the belfries. Didn't you listen? No one is allowed in the belfries.

No one.

As for the gargoyles, lightning damage really helps. Invest in some pine resin. Try to focus one of them at a time to prevent too many spawning at the same time and hope to get lucky.

Why are those puppet things so protective of the belltowers? Is it for the possibility of a glorious, trespasser-free future; a Bell Époque, if you will?

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

BurritoJustice posted:

Am I meant to be getting invaded by bell Bros in the tower when I am in the covenant and wearing the ring? I though the constant invasions would stop once I joined :negative:

Also has anyone got any tips for the gargoyles? I can never get any hits off as I am instantly ganked by the other gargoyles when I get one into a vulnerable position.

If you're in the tower you're a filthy invader :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

BurritoJustice posted:

The main thing I found as a sorcerer was to be incredibly mobile and to focus as much as possible on hurting only one at a time. Was a lot of fun.