Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How dumb was pushing back the draft?
This poll is closed.
Really dumb 58 11.09%
95 18.16%
121 23.14%
Too much mustard 249 47.61%
Total: 523 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ben's much more likely to get in then Eli, as outside of rings, they're not very similar at all career wise.

BlindSite posted:

Makes me wonder how hard it'll be for Moss to get in given he burned three or four years wallowing on poo poo teams simply because he was a dick bag.

If Randy Moss isn't in your hall of fame, then why would you have a hall of fame?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
So you can have Lynn Swann in it of course

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Kalli posted:

Ben's much more likely to get in then Eli, as outside of rings, they're not very similar at all career wise.

Eli's had way better Superbowls then Ben, and that counts for something with the voters.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Has Ben ever been the best 3 or 4 QB's in the league in any of his years? Even in his best (2007?) he was 14th in yards. If you want to put someone in just because they have 2 rings that's fine, but at least Eli was the SB mvp.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If Eli Manning gets in the Hall of Fame he will immediately become the worst person in the Hall of Fame. A quarterback in this day and age with a career 81.2 passer rating? That's got to be bottom 10 of the league material at this point.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

davecrazy posted:

Eli's had way better Superbowls then Ben, and that counts for something with the voters.

I actually don't believe that does mean anything, rings are rings given a certain (mediocreish) level of play during your career. Eli has the signature moments going for him over Ben which sadly does seem to mean something judging by Lynn Swann.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
I hope Rivers gets in after the Chargers win a Super Bowl the last 2 years before he retires Elway-style and Eli and Ben are both relegated to the Hall of Very Good forever.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Ben probably cements himself an eventual spot the moment he actually has a season where he throws a bunch and makes his volume stats look a bit better.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Zerilan posted:

Ben probably cements himself an eventual spot the moment he actually has a season where he throws a bunch and makes his volume stats look a bit better.

Meanwhile, if Eli has another couple garbage seasons like last year before hanging them up and makes his rate stats look even worse, maybe he drops out of contention. With the New York media machine behind him I'm not holding my breath.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

shiksa posted:

I hope Rivers gets in after the Chargers win a Super Bowl the last 2 years before he retires Elway-style and Eli and Ben are both relegated to the Hall of Very Good forever.

yes

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Eli also has a billion 4th quarter comebacks to his name. He seems to kind of suck all around now, but for a while there, you might as well be tied if you're going into the 4th with a 14 point lead against the Giants. That'll count for something because clutch.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Raider Press conferences own

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Parmesan Basil :emo:

quote:

As explained by Peter King of The MMQB.com, the two second-rounders the 49ers got from the Chiefs were moved around in a total of five deals and resulted in the 49ers obtaining defensive lineman Tank Carradine, outside linebacker Corey Lemonier, inside linebacker Chris Borland, running back Carlos Hyde and wide receiver Stevie Johnson.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Ozu posted:

I wish I was a 49ers fan this year. I'm still waiting to see what Lattimore can do.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Zerilan posted:

He's had 3 seasons of over 500 pass attempts, and those are the only seasons he's gone over 4000 yards in his 10 year career

Rivers is superior in every major statistical category except for total yards, and even then Roethlisberger is only ahead by 2000 yards despite being the starter from the beginning while Rivers had to be the backup for 2 years. Rivers is simultaneously more efficient and more durable and is a down home bolo tie wearing goodnik. but Roethlisberger will still get in ahead of him because of 1. Steeler and 2.Rings

FeedingHam2Cats fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 12, 2014

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
355 unread posts. :o: Did I miss anything important?

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

He's had 3 seasons of over 500 pass attempts, and those are the only seasons he's gone over 4000 yards in his 10 year career

Rivers is superior in every major statistical category except for total yards, and even then Roethlisberger is only ahead by 2000 yards despite being the starter from the beginning while Rivers had to be the backup for 2 years. Rivers is simultaneously more efficient and more durable and is a down home bolo tie wearing goodnik. but Roethlisberger will still get in ahead of him because of 1. Steeler and 2.Rings

3. Ben is also better at football statslord

Edit: Number of QBs who have made tackles to save postseasons: 1
Number of QBs to stand behind the worst ever Super Bowl winning offensive line: 1
Number of QBs to win their first 15 starts: 1

Arguments that Ben is not a HoF QB hinge on ignoring the unique parts of his game that make him great.

Peyton Manning rightfully has an argument for GOAT and Ben is not on his level (maybe not on the level right below that either). However I submit that the Broncos would have been better off with Ben in the Super Bowl because of his ability to improvise. There's a short list of QBs who are in that category and Rivers/Eli are not on it.

Moxie fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 12, 2014

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

Well yeah, but nobody even pretends Romo has a chance at the HoF anymore, so what chance does Rivers have?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Romo is going to solidify his HoF credentials as he wins both MVP for the season and Super Bowl MVP this next season.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Ozu posted:

Surprise, surprise. A good team takes advantage of a new lovely GM and succeeds.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Eli, Rivers, and Ben all aren't very good compared to the QBs that are in the HoF. They are, however, good for right now, and that's enough to get them in. Ben and Eli are undoubtedly Hall of Famers, Rivers will never sniff it unless he gets a Super Bowl ring, and Romo is a joke if you honestly think he'll get in with his resume.

Super Bowl wins rule the HoF. You need to be exceptionally amazing to get in without them, meaning 7-10 pro bowl selections, 3-7 all pros, winning MVP, DMVP, OMVP, or setting statistical records over and over.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

According to the NFL, these are the top 5 selling rookie jerseys as of this morning:

1. Johnny Manziel
2. Michael Sam
3. Jadeveon Clowney
4. Teddy Bridgewater
5. Blake Bortles

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Sweeney Tom posted:

2. Michael Sam
:unsmith:

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
N: In order to sign the incoming seventeen UDFA's, the Jaguars have to make room and so have cut Will Rackley.

V:

Next up, Chris Prosinski.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Sweeney Tom posted:

5. Blake Bortles

:unsmith:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I mean, they're not wrong that paying a RB $12m is terrible cap management, but still.

quote:

CBSSports.com
(10:15 am ET) The Vikings would like to part ways with running back Adrian Peterson "sooner rather than later," reports Bleacher Report's Mike Freeman. Peterson just turned 29 and is due to make base salaries of $11.75 million and $12.75 million the next two seasons. Freeman contends that's "an impossible salary structure to pay a player in today's game, where the running back position has been greatly devalued."

An AFC general manager told Freeman he expects this season to be Peterson's last with Minnesota.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

They should trade him to Dallas for 2 firsts and 4 more assorted midround picks

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
If Chris Berman starts calling him Teddy Bridge "Over Troubled" Water he owes all royalties to me.

Mgant
Nov 26, 2005

Best in the West

Blitz7x posted:

Raider Press conferences own

The MIGHTY Oakland Rrrrrraiders (c) Old man Willie.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Ozu posted:

I mean, they're not wrong that paying a RB $12m is terrible cap management, but still.

THE BROWNS WOULD LIKE 1 ADRIAN PETERSON PLEASE! Maybe something like a 2nd and some staph?

I kinda get age and wear but until Adrian tanks I don't fathom dealing him.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Chris Gaines posted:

If Chris Berman starts calling him Teddy Bridge "Over Troubled" Water he owes all royalties to me.

You know the first time he struggles newspapers will trip over each other to be the first to use that pun.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Chris Gaines posted:

He used to use that nickname all the time for Ricky Watters. It was that or Ricky 'Running' Watters.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Doltos posted:

Eli, Rivers, and Ben all aren't very good compared to the QBs that are in the HoF. They are, however, good for right now, and that's enough to get them in. Ben and Eli are undoubtedly Hall of Famers, Rivers will never sniff it unless he gets a Super Bowl ring, and Romo is a joke if you honestly think he'll get in with his resume.

Super Bowl wins rule the HoF. You need to be exceptionally amazing to get in without them, meaning 7-10 pro bowl selections, 3-7 all pros, winning MVP, DMVP, OMVP, or setting statistical records over and over.

Andre Johnson is going to miss on the HoF isn't he? :(

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Intruder posted:

Yeah but it's not like he's the NFL's Craig Biggio or anything

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Moxie posted:

However I submit that the Broncos would have been better off with Ben in the Super Bowl because of his ability to improvise. There's a short list of QBs who are in that category and Rivers/Eli

They would have been better with Eli Manning because if Eli is good for one thing it's bullshitting out a win in a big game

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Intruder posted:

He might get in like an Andre Reed and to pay lip service to the Texan's first real face of the franchise. He definitely won't be first ballot. I doubt Eli or Ben will be first ballot either.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Anyway, gently caress the Hall of Fame it's dumb

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

Anyway, gently caress the Hall of Fame it's dumb

HoF is dumb and so are the arguments that spawn from it. Only thing that matters is ~ringz~

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Mods can we get a ban on this chucklefuck!!??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
McNabb should get in. He dominated 2001-2004. Four NFC Championship games and a SuperBowl appearance. Plus he made a whole city hate him.

Crown him.

• Locked thread