Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Zaphod42 posted:

^^^ I'd bet its a myth, upgrading anything else doesn't increase its unique bonus effectiveness.

Duels aren't meant to be the main mode of rank ups.

They need to combine the way of the blue and guardians of blue covenants so that bloodbro / bluecop battle invasions happen more often.

Do you not lose rank if you lose an invasion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
From can't balance for poo poo.

It's my first rage uninstall, I feel like I've lost my virginity or something.
Calm your dicks, was just editing out my account name.

Foxhound fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 12, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

Is that what this is? Jesus loving Christ.

I'm pretty sure that's not true. At the least, I've never heard this anywhere else. My understanding is that some controllers have trouble with properly registering the inputs. If you have a ps3 or 360 controller you should be fine.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

delta534 posted:

Right now I want to slap the person who though linking the window for activating guard break and jump attack to the FPS was a good idea. I should not have to limit my fps to be able to preform them reliably with my controller. :argh:

You realize that things like this aren't engineered this way, they just result this way.

Programming modern 3D videogames isn't exactly easy, okay?

I mean I agree it sucks and its a bad bug, but to pretend that some rear end in a top hat developer was like "mwahaha, I'm going to design this game to have a flaw in a really obtuse way because I'm an rear end in a top hat" is just retarded.

A game is a result of a team of 10-100 people working together, with schedules, conflicts, budgets, etc. There was no one rear end in a top hat for you to slap. Grow up.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Do you not lose rank if you lose an invasion?

Don't think so, no. Just duels against other bloodbros. EDIT: yup, you only lose points for duels, confirmed by FROM.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Relin posted:

Wow that's terrible, burning an effigy doesn't stop belfry invasions. Guess I gotta turn off my internet since steam in offline mode apparently only turns off the community!

I think it does, but I'm guessing you're burning the wrong bonfire.

:lol:

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Santier's spear is ridiculous to get what with the breaking it and everything so I think it has that trying-hard look that makes people mad. Before you saw it a bunch it had a pretty confusing moveset too which made it tougher to deal with. Like Geno said it's the easiest thing in the world to parry though and it's not like super strong or anything.

I've barely seen anyone try the back step parry thing but it's pretty dumb, the single blemish on an otherwise perfect PvP experience.

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice

Jose posted:

How many bosses are optional? I missed Executioners Chariot, Old Dragonslayer and avoided the Belfry Gargoyles too. Was I supposed to do them?
You're not 'supposed' to do them, as they are, in fact, optional. They give you access to covenants or items/treasures, though, as well as boss souls, naturally.

There are quite a few in DS2. The ones you mentioned, Vendrick, Ancient Dragon, Flexile Sentry, the Rat bosses, etc.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Arthe Xavier posted:

I am completely addicted to co-op in this game. I don't know what has gotten into me. I've been helping people clear out Bridge Approach for the past two hours or so. Even got the chariot-boss done a few times. I should progress through the game, but I just... I just want to help people and gain levels. :unsmith:

It starts here. Then you become a Sunbro.

And then ...

I only just got the Magical McGuffin from the big bad castle.

:shepicide:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Foxhound posted:

Quit gettin mad about videogames.

If I get frustrated at a videogame, I go play a different one for awhile, but I'm a weirdo. :downs:

Arthe Xavier posted:

I am completely addicted to co-op in this game. I don't know what has gotten into me. I've been helping people clear out Bridge Approach for the past two hours or so. Even got the chariot-boss done a few times. I should progress through the game, but I just... I just want to help people and gain levels. :unsmith:

JOLLY COOPERATION is what has gotten into you.

Dude co-op is the best part of Dark Souls hands down, there's nothing weird about liking it. Co-op all day every day.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Relin posted:

Wow that's terrible, burning an effigy doesn't stop belfry invasions. Guess I gotta turn off my internet since steam in offline mode apparently only turns off the community!
Out of curiosity, at which bonfire did you burn an effigy?
I'm not sure yet, but I think burning an effigy only stops invasions in the area that bonfire is in. And the bonfire for the Belfry Luna is after the Gargoyles fight.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Foxhound posted:

loving baby. :lol:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Raygereio posted:

I'm not sure yet, but I think burning an effigy only stops invasions in the area that bonfire is in. And the bonfire for the Belfry Luna is after the Gargoyles fight.

I wonder if they did that poo poo intentionally just so you couldn't do what he's trying to :smith:

It is a little awkward figuring out which bonfire covers which zone.

I kinda wish the game made it a little more explicit, same with Dark Souls 1 and which "boss" counted for which "area", because once you beat a boss you couldn't summon there anymore. Oh well, you figure it out the hard way, classic :darksouls:

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Foxhound posted:

You play Dota 2 and somehow this game causes you enough rage to uninstall? :raise:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Graviija posted:

You're not 'supposed' to do them, as they are, in fact, optional. They give you access to covenants or items/treasures, though, as well as boss souls, naturally.

There are quite a few in DS2. The ones you mentioned, Vendrick, Ancient Dragon, Flexile Sentry, the Rat bosses, etc.

I never really thought about it but its obvious that either Flexile Sentry or Pursuer are optional. I only even did No Mans Wharf because I knew there was someone who sold sorceries there. I might go back and do all the bosses I missed an ascetic Skeleton lords, Freja and Najka for items before moving on

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Genocyber posted:

I'm pretty sure that's not true. At the least, I've never heard this anywhere else. My understanding is that some controllers have trouble with properly registering the inputs. If you have a ps3 or 360 controller you should be fine.
I have a 360 controller, and while I can do them, its definitely nowhere near as easy as in DS1 and is basically unreliable as all hell.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Kaldaris posted:

You play Dota 2 and somehow this game causes you enough rage to uninstall? :raise:

Yeah 1550 hours in Dota 2. If some guy dodges to my side and simultaneously parries my attack with a 0 frame dagger because I gently caress up the "maybe it will be a jump attack, maybe it will be a dash attack" button combination is somehow fine with From then I'm done.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Atoramos posted:

So I went Cleric, ran to Hide's, killed Dragonrider, ran to Sunbro Covenant killing as few enemies as possible, and then ran Dragonrider 30 times in a row. Then went on to Belfry covenant stacking faith to wield Sunlight Spear.

One shot kills everywhere.

Forgive my ignorance by how does one kill Dragonrider 30 more times? As a helpful phantom?

Bunk Rogers fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 12, 2014

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Spacedad posted:

:dance: Literary Corner :dance:

For anyone interested in dark atmospheric fantasy that bears a mood similar to the Dark Souls series, you would do well to check out what is considered to be the 'first Gothic novel', the classic "Castle of Otranto."

The book and its audio recording both in public domain and free.

Itunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/the-castle-of-otranto/id498731376?mt=11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWSYu2yW_kw

To give a brief summary - it is essentially a depressing and dire ghost story of tragedy and eerie doom taking place in medieval times.

Its most iconic imagery is the buildup to the apparition of a gigantic knight, brought about by an unintentional curse in the line "that the castle and lordship of Otranto should pass from the present family, whenever the real owner should be grown too large to inhabit it."

The novel was written in 1764 by Horace Wadpole - he invented a fake history for it which he tried to pass off as real for added credibility, which is a bit silly as the novel stands on its own quite incredibly. Nevertheless, his prologue where he talks of the false history and context does a great job of setting the atmosphere of the story.

In addition to the gigantic knight (and there are lots of those in the Dark Souls series) there's lots of skulking around castles, secret passages, swordfighting, tragic death, undeath, doomed curses, and ghosts. Oh, and atmosphere. While reading the novel (or listening to the audiobook) you can practically feel the damp cold castle stone surrounding you in dark hallways.

This is a really, really cool recommendation. :) Thank you for that.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
If you do enough tricky jumping, apparently everything pre-Drangleic Castle is optional.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Raygereio posted:

Which you can't burn an effigy in at all. Sorry guys, the only non-internet-cutting way through the belfries and the rat king's joint is through their covenant members.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

PublicOpinion posted:

If you do enough tricky jumping, apparently everything pre-Drangleic Castle is optional.

Only in the 1.00 version

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Foxhound posted:

Yeah 1550 hours in Dota 2. If some guy dodges to my side and simultaneously parries my attack with a 0 frame dagger because I gently caress up the "maybe it will be a jump attack, maybe it will be a dash attack" button combination is somehow fine with From then I'm done.

Stop taking video games so seriously you loving spaz.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

voltron lion force posted:

Only in the 1.00 version

Nah there's a new skip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9occUFcvc2A

Also since we're talking about belfry invasions not being turn-offable, let's reminisce from the good ole days in the console thread.

quote:

I just can't get over how loving broken pvp is right now, this is garbage. It's absolutely dead simple right now to build a character that can basically dead-stop anyone coming through the Belfry by simply choosing not to spec right to progress past there. There is a cohort of insufferable fuckers sitting on what should be a cool spot and I want FROM to fix it yesterday.

This was completely foreseeable and bullshit and stupid on their part, and it's really bringing down my entire experience. Jesus Christ how did they take what they had and gently caress it up so badly

quote:

^^ yeah no poo poo sherlock, thing is basic combat is skewed towards invaders already plus there are super-buff and hard to hit enemies in that weird winding tower. It'd really hosed compared to everything else and I don't know what the gently caress they were thinking.

posting again because I'm straight mad at this game, it's great except for this one aspect and that was my favorite aspect and why why WHY did they gently caress it up so bad

quote:

^^ Cool enjoy wasting time on something that From is already working on a nerf for

I'm just bugged because I can picture exactly the kind of lowbrow simpleton idiot fucker who sits on the bell like that; they're not good at games they're just good at taking an advantage that will not even exist in a week. Yes it will end but the very existence of "people" who do that hurts me. Humans are truly a bad species and our extinction will be a net gain.

All from the same dude :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

quote:

I'm just bugged because I can picture exactly the kind of lowbrow simpleton idiot fucker who sits on the bell like that; they're not good at games they're just good at taking an advantage that will not even exist in a week. Yes it will end but the very existence of "people" who do that hurts me. Humans are truly a bad species and our extinction will be a net gain.

:goonsay:

gently caress man. :v: Goons gonna goon, but that guy needs some therapy.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

NG+/spells talk: I'm about to go to NG+. What are the really good spells/hexes/etc. that you only get a fixed amount of copies per playthrough and which I should therefore buy before I go over?

Reposting since I didn't get an answer. Which spells should I buy before going to NG+?

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
I really like the idea of the durability system, git gud quit bashing weapons on walls or use right weapon for right situation. But man low damage weapons or ground slamming movesets get hosed over so hard by it. The result feels like I use a smaller variety of weapons since other things seem to break so fast, and upgrade materials being scarce early on doesn't help on weapon experimentation either.

Or just greatsword through the game :effort:.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Foxhound posted:

Yeah well, I dont think this game is meant to be competitive in any fashion. Dueling is a fun diversion but there's no reason to get mad. Yesterday I was fighting a faith/dex character who, in spite of me timing my hits correctly I could not connect against. No dedicated servers = No competition. Relax and just have fun.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Whoa that is some tricky jumping.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Reposting since I didn't get an answer. Which spells should I buy before going to NG+?

Things that come to mind: Straid's great soul trading spells, like Toxic Mist and Heavy Homing Soul Arrow. Forbidden Sun.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Genocyber posted:

No, it's only hitting corpses (And presumably non-hostile targets like phantoms, since I believed they're grouped together). Check that reddit post if you want to see actual numbers. That said, hitting multiple enemies will drain durability faster because you're hitting multiple things at once. In addition, armored enemies tend to make your weapon take higher durability damage than walls. And if you kill an enemy in a crowd and keep swinging, you'll probably hit its corpse doing even more damage.

Uh? Did you even read it past the first 2 paragraphs?

quote:

So... I've tested it on Stone soldiers and Ruins sentinels in the Drangleic Castle.
They are both 'fading' away when you kill them but here are the results:
My framerate was not as stable as before when i was not locking it at 30fps, hence the 3-4% difference
Test with a Drakekeeper's Sword +10 (70 durability):
Ruins Sentinel on fading animation:
@60fps: 68.239990235 /70 (-1.760009765 Dur/Hit)
@30fps: 68.799995425 /70 (-1.200004575 Dur/Hit)
Difference of 0.56000519 Dur/Hit between 60fps and 30fps.
Stone Soldier on fading animation:
@60fps: 67.19998936 /70 (-2.80001064 Dur/Hit It's really eating your weapon)
@30fps: 68.07998658 /70 (-1.92001342 Dur/Hit)
Difference of 0.87999722 Dur/Hit between 60fps and 30fps.

quote:

Here is another one with the halberd and wow...
Test with a Halberd (70 durability):
Hitting a Wall:
@60fps: 69.83999634 /70 (-0.16000366 Dur/Hit)
@30fps: 69.83999634 /70 (-0.16000366 Dur/Hit)
Stone Soldier alive:
@60fps: 69.59999847 /70 (-0.40000153 Dur/Hit)
@30fps: 69.59999847 /70 (-0.40000153 Dur/Hit)
Stone Soldier on fading animation:
@60fps: 61.03996277 /70 (-8.9600323 Dur/Hit)
@30fps: 66.15997315 /70 (-3.84002685 Dur/Hit)
Difference of 5,12000545 Dur/Hit between 60fps and 30fps. WTF!?

Also some enemy animations are linked to FPS notably Iron Keep Knights lunge and the Gravewardens in Earthen Peak

Kild fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 12, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kild posted:

Uh? Did you even read it past the first 2 paragraphs?

Like I said, corpses and other non-hostile targets, which would include fading enemies. So long as you don't continue to spam after actually killing an enemy, it won't come up.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Things that come to mind: Straid's great soul trading spells, like Toxic Mist and Heavy Homing Soul Arrow. Forbidden Sun.

I've got Forbidden Sun, but can't you get multiple copies of Straid's spells by trading multiple souls if you have more than one? Or do I specifically need to use all my boss souls before going to NG+?

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Foxhound posted:

ahhahhaahahhaah

EDIT: next op should just be that post quoted and nothing else

Plum Chaser fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 12, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
How would one skip both the Pursuer and Flexile Sentry?

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Genocyber posted:

Nah there's a new skip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9occUFcvc2A

Also since we're talking about belfry invasions not being turn-offable, let's reminisce from the good ole days in the console thread.

All from the same dude :v:

I think the belfry stuff is fun as hell. What are the rewards exactly? I did both of them (and it wasn't that hard), but I feel like there was barely anything at the end to reward me, the one in the Iron Keep doesn't even have a boss at the end.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I got some grinding questions;

-What's the easiest set of gear to maximize item find?
-Where is the best place for grinding out spices? I heard some enemies drop them but can't recall ever seeing one.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Foxhound posted:

Dear god man.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

How would one skip both the Pursuer and Flexile Sentry?
The Shrine of Winter will open after you either light the 4 Primordial Bonfires, or when you've gathered 1.000.000 soul memory in your current playthrough.
So if you do enough grnding, co-op and whatnot all of the bosses before Drangleic Castle are optional for the "main quest". Except for The Last Giant: You need the Soldier's Key in order to get the Giant Lord.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

So I got some grinding questions;

-What's the easiest set of gear to maximize item find?
-Where is the best place for grinding out spices? I heard some enemies drop them but can't recall ever seeing one.

Leydia witches can drop them. Easiest way to farm Simpleton's spices is just to ascetic Belfry Sol repeatedly. Do it offline so you don't have to deal with invaders. Luna is also good for Skeptic's, but less so cause you gotta kill the Gargs each time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I think the belfry stuff is fun as hell. What are the rewards exactly? I did both of them (and it wasn't that hard), but I feel like there was barely anything at the end to reward me, the one in the Iron Keep doesn't even have a boss at the end.
You can ring the bells.

Bellkeepers hate that.

I like to send in a message: ding ding ding ding ding.

Tokyo Sex Whale fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 12, 2014