Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

How would one skip both the Pursuer and Flexile Sentry?

You can run past the Pursuer and take the eagle without killing him, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Raygereio posted:

The Shrine of Winter will open after you either light the 4 Primordial Bonfires, or when you've gathered 1.000.000 soul memory in your current playthrough.
So if you do enough grnding, co-op and whatnot all of the bosses before Drangleic Castle are optional for the "main quest". Except for The Last Giant: You need the Soldier's Key in order to get the Giant Lord.

Surprise, you can skip that too. Someone in the thread mentioned a jump from the elevator and there's also one from outside the cardinal tower door I found a twitch video for.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Speaking of "holy poo poo" tier weapons... the barbed club you get from Flexile Sentry soul is absolutely ridiculous when it's been imbued.

Granted it takes petrified dragon bones to upgrade, but it's got the club moveset and impact damage along with some bleed, and imbuing it doesn't appear to subtract from the base damage. It's a pure addition/bonus.

Lightning Imbued +5 with the Sunlight Blade buff active on a 40-FAI character is hitting things one-handed for 800+ damage. Eagerly awaiting taking this character to NG+ to get another one for powerstance stunlock funtime.

It's an amazing backup weapon for faith casters and would probably be just as obscene with Magic/Fire using CMW/Flame Weapon with their respective builds.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Black Bow 4 lyfe

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Just eat a Bellbro death in the Belfry and then you have a roughly ten minute grace period before the next player invasion. v:geno:v

edit: This is a thing.

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 12, 2014

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Black Bow 4 lyfe

Oh god, I kinda ruined my own ending cinematic. I stocked the hell up in Dark resistance gear, so I went from my full set of well upgraded Black Leather gear, to the Justice helmet, Agdayne chestpiece, those heavy gauntlets with the runes and the kittycat leggings.

So I had to sit through that very solemn, impressive cinematic, while my character looked like a giant rear end in a top hat.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Decided I'd be a jerk today and use a silver talisman in the No-Man's Dock place. Imagine my suprise when 5 minutes after an invasion from a bluecop I see a tiny barrel scoot up next to me. Guess he didn't notice me since he scooted away. I followed him as a giant urn for a while then when he saw me we spun around in circles together for a bit, before he killed me, rip urn/barrel bros.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Speaking of Fashion Souls, here's my attempt at making the Saint's Hood not stick out like a sore thumb:

And this may surprise some of you, but the chest piece and the pants are from two separate sets! Yet they fit!

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

0lives posted:

Decided I'd be a jerk today and use a silver talisman in the No-Man's Dock place. Imagine my suprise when 5 minutes after an invasion from a bluecop I see a tiny barrel scoot up next to me. Guess he didn't notice me since he scooted away. I followed him as a giant urn for a while then when he saw me we spun around in circles together for a bit, before he killed me, rip urn/barrel bros.

One time I was co-oping at Throne of Want and ended up talismaning into one of those giant black mirrors. At the time I wasn't sure if I could sprint without ruining my camouflage so I did the casual press forward jog toward the fog gate instead. The host got impatient with my slow, fat mirrorness and tried to run around me...

...and fell off the edge.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Man, the +10 poison twinblade that has served me so well as a bellbro is not very good for me at all for the smelter demon fight. :saddowns:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Daynab posted:

You can run past the Pursuer and take the eagle without killing him, I think.

If you fight him before the boss fight he doesn't show up and there's no fog door, either. Not really skipping anything, though. You could kill the Dragonrider to go to Hunstman Copse or drop down the well to the Gutter, too. So long as you get that million SM you never actually need to visit the Bastille.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm level 20 and I beat the dragon rider and now I'm in a zombie town. Would you guys say I'm halfway through?

What should I be focusing points in for the end game? I'm a two weapon fighter with a rapier and a shortsword offhand, both weapons are plus 2, should I keep putting points in dexterity?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

In a rather :spergin: display I decided to keep recreating until I could beat the Pursuer on the very first encounter. Got it on the third go. He won't reappear at his boss battle on top of the Forest, will he?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

WYA posted:

I'm level 20 and I beat the dragon rider and now I'm in a zombie town. Would you guys say I'm halfway through?

What should I be focusing points in for the end game? I'm a two weapon fighter with a rapier and a shortsword offhand, both weapons are plus 2, should I keep putting points in dexterity?

You're not even close to halfway through. You're maybe 15% in optimistically.

As for what you want to put points in that's up to you man. There's a lot of ways to play this game and somewhere between 3 and 5 Soul Vessels in the game to respec with. I wouldn't recommend taking your main damage stat to higher than 50, whatever it is though.

Ciaphas posted:

In a rather :spergin: display I decided to keep recreating until I could beat the Pursuer on the very first encounter. Got it on the third go. He won't reappear at his boss battle on top of the Forest, will he?

Nope.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ha, nice.

I think I really like the fast weapons over the big strength ones--the humble longsword is feelin' good. Think I'll take a look at the other quick melee weapons on this guy, once I've got basic hexing available anyway.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Can you use ascetics to get Chancellor Wellager to sell his NG++ spells and stuff? The internet seems divided (and stupid) on whether or not it works, and which bonfire to use them on.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
NG+ isn't the same as Bonfire Aesthetic - it doesn't work for merchants, otherwise people would just use it in undead purgatory for infinite red eye orbs.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I've started getting red invaders in NG, although most of them were after I'd been sunbroing Covetous, Smelter, and OIK for a while so my SM was in the 1.3-1.6 mil range. None of them were obviously hacking, and the fights have generally been decent, although actually connecting with ranged attacks is unlikely and trying to figure out a whip's hitbox in online is a crapshoot. I did manage to catch one invader while he was spawning in Brightstone Cove on a ledge overlooking the sand pit. One Emit Force sent him merrily to his reward.

I got another one-hit kill with Emit Force while bellcopping when I spawned in with the host and a fellow bellcop fighting right across the room where the second staircase ends. I just locked onto the host, hit RB, and the damage and explosion of a nearby powder keg did 1334 damage and sent the host flying.

I've noticed a number of would-be bellringers trying to hide on the entry bridge with the door closed. All this really does is tell you exactly where they are, because nobody comes in and closes the door behind them, and they're sitting ducks out there once the door is opened.

Is there supposed to be a point to the multi-hit sorcery spells like Soul Shower and Soul Vortex? Every single one I've tested has done piddly damage, even to large enemies.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Genocyber posted:

I'm pretty sure that's not true. At the least, I've never heard this anywhere else. My understanding is that some controllers have trouble with properly registering the inputs. If you have a ps3 or 360 controller you should be fine.

It's only based on my personal experience and might be the controller since I have a Logitech F310 but I'm not convinced. When I limit the FPS to 30 FPS I can nearly pull them off on demand and at 60 FPS I can only rarely pull them off.

Zaphod42 posted:

You realize that things like this aren't engineered this way, they just result this way.

Programming modern 3D videogames isn't exactly easy, okay?

I mean I agree it sucks and its a bad bug, but to pretend that some rear end in a top hat developer was like "mwahaha, I'm going to design this game to have a flaw in a really obtuse way because I'm an rear end in a top hat" is just retarded.

A game is a result of a team of 10-100 people working together, with schedules, conflicts, budgets, etc. There was no one rear end in a top hat for you to slap. Grow up.

Can't someone vent a little jeez. I know that 3D action games are complex beasts, there is not one person responsible, and that those responsible are not assholes.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

delta534 posted:

It's only based on my personal experience and might be the controller since I have a Logitech F310 but I'm not convinced. When I limit the FPS to 30 FPS I can nearly pull them off on demand and at 60 FPS I can only rarely pull them off.
It could also be both controller and FPS contributing to the problem.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

WYA posted:

Half way through what? The game? You barely started.

Use different weapons and and see which ones you like. If you need higher dexterity to use some cool thing you found then increase it. Otherwise get more defensive stats.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

You know every day I get on and try to Blue Cop I always start off happy and in a good mood.

"I'm gonna get my shinny aura today and be the coolest dude playing a chick!"

Then I get pulled into a belfry. Now I know I shouldn't trust the grays from their endless idiocy every other day so I haul rear end to the host and as I'm about to land a killing blow... BACK STAB! Alright I can still kill him before he chugs estus or maybe the other gray will kill... gently caress YOU HEX TO THE FACE! Guys he's healing to full... BANISHED!!!

As I fade away the host kills one of the grays and I hate life.

Ok one bad apple doesn't spoil the bunch, lets try again.

This fellow is AFK it seems, I don't want to just walk up and back stab him. So I wait a few seconds, wave, praise the s-hit got stabbed by him. My fault he gets the first hit and I either win or die depending on the day.

At this point I've learned two important rules for the day I should just remember everyday. Lets die one more time to make me go into uncaring rear end in a top hat mode.

Sinners Rise, guy isn't in the basement so he must be at the fire. Going up the elevator he summons two whites. Ok just bait them out. Kill a white take some damage. I know he's going to keep summoning whites and wear me down unless I charge up and kill him. I do so and as I reach the top of the ladder a new white shows up. I decide to go after the hexxer white first because the host is haveled, the result is death followed by 3 people dancing on my body like they did a good thing.

Alright I'm mad now. Mad about Dark Souls PvP. I want blood. Go into a game a guy praises the sun me and I one shot back stab him. Too far? No...

This is pretty much how 8 mill+ soul memory NG+ Blue Copping has been going since I did my 100 wins report. Lost count of my wins I have now until I hit 150.

Lloyd's, I need to start using them. Other people need to start using them. Never have I seen anyone use them and in almost all my normal losses I could have stopped the loss by taking away the estus.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So has From said anything at all about intending to patch the game?

Blue Sentinel PvP largely being hosed and the hammer knights in Dragon's Aerie come to mind on things that need to be fixed right away.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Gorp posted:

NG+ isn't the same as Bonfire Aesthetic - it doesn't work for merchants, otherwise people would just use it in undead purgatory for infinite red eye orbs.

Yes it does. The only merchants Ascetics don't work for are Gren, Targray, and Wellager.

Bobnumerotres posted:

So has From said anything at all about intending to patch the game?

Blue Sentinel PvP largely being hosed and the hammer knights in Dragon's Aerie come to mind on things that need to be fixed right away.

Blue sentinel PVP ain't hosed. The orbs, which are the main thing, work perfectly fine. And the ring works well enough from my experience.

And the hammer knights are great. Very tough enemy since it only ever has a couple seconds of downtime.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Fat and Useless posted:

Lloyd's, I need to start using them. Other people need to start using them. Never have I seen anyone use them and in almost all my normal losses I could have stopped the loss by taking away the estus.

Oh man I totally forgot about those.

Also I've been invaded by cops all day, knowing I'll have a pvp encounter every 10 minutes has made NG+ really exciting. Also beating cops is definitely more satisfying than other situations, maybe because its all "I'm punishing you for your behaviour :smug:"

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 13, 2014

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Blue Cop PvP is fine the problem is a lack of way of the blue members to protect since people would rather go offline than screw with invaders.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Don't you rank up through blue orb invasions too though? Or do the number of people trying to queue massively outweigh the number of invadee's?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Blue sentinel PVP ain't hosed. The orbs, which are the main thing, work perfectly fine. And the ring works well enough from my experience.
I mean that duels require boss wins whereas bloodbros get free duels.

quote:

And the hammer knights are great. Very tough enemy since it only ever has a couple seconds of downtime.

Uhhh no. This isn't 'lol get gud' they are actually broken for melee characters. They have 100% tracking and can combo forever.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Hate to dwell on this BUT I did dick around for 10 minutes just to see how stupid the degradation poo poo can possibly be. Used a mace and caestus powerstanced.

Swatting at the air doesn't degrade your weapons, swatting at the air while on top of a corpse does. Apparently corpses have the same hitboxes as when they were alive (they reach up to your torso at least it seems), eventhough they are clearly laying down on the ground. It's roughly -2 points of durability per attack when near a corpse.

Attacking an ally is -2 points of durability, even though you can do them no harm, raising the question why this is penalized to begin with.

Bashing a stone wall for 10 or so attacks causes at best around -3 durability.

Attacking an enemy is around -1 durability per attack.

Average weapon durability is 60 from what I gather.

So the problem with weapon degrading isn't actually the combat itself, it's that stupid corpse poo poo which doesn't make a lick of sense from a logic standpoint nor is its existence even hinted at, there being no visual feedback or audio ques (same sparks flew from the ground and the exact same sound was made whether I was hitting a corpse or a floor or wall) or any sort of dialog that I'm aware of, and then your weapons also go to poo poo when co-opping, just because.

When I was playing a powerstance greatsword build, I thought the swords were getting hosed over every 2 minutes because they keep grazing walls and poo poo, but I guess they just passed over allies and several corpses during a horizontal swing.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So here is a question, how did everyone else find out they were suppose to go to the shrine of winter after the 4 lord souls?
I had no idea where to go next, so it was the first thing I had to look up on the wiki while playing.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Blue Cop ranks go up by helping a Blue Baby, winning a duel, or killing the guy you invade with a blue orb. All are in the same pool unlike reds. Losses mean nothing unlike reds.

I guess the issue is blue orbs are expensive and the free options take a while to do.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 13, 2014

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So here is a question, how did everyone else find out they were suppose to go to the shrine of winter after the 4 lord souls?
I had no idea where to go next, so it was the first thing I had to look up on the wiki while playing.

I found it while exploring, it opened up by itself (I guess my soul memory was high enough) but I nope'd the hell out of there after the lady told me I'd be screwed going in now.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

Uhhh no. This isn't 'lol get gud' they are actually broken for melee characters. They have 100% tracking and can combo forever.

The hammer guys are fine, I don't see the big deal about them.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

If you found it the first time you went through the ruins it said SEEK GREATER SOULS blahblah so somehow maybe you would remember
After I got the 4 souls I went back to the ruined fork bonfire and...went to the king's gate and then wandered around the game aimlessly after it wouldn't open

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The Drakekeepers are legitimately kind of bullshit. They have no concept of what stamina even means and will cheerfully perpetual combo if they really feel like it, maybe they will maybe they won't, and their recovery time is tiny.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The hammer guys can't combo forever, they always have a second or two cooldown after attacking at which point you can hit them. It makes them very perilous and thus fun to fight. If there were a ton of them I could understand, but there's only two and one is by his lonesome.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Basically the Drakekeepers are so perilous to fight that I find it impossible to justify bothering with melee.

I just Avelyn or Lightning Spear or whatever the fuckers. Isn't even worth the trouble.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Maxmaps posted:

I found it while exploring, it opened up by itself (I guess my soul memory was high enough) but I nope'd the hell out of there after the lady told me I'd be screwed going in now.

Same. If you get their before your SM is high enough, the Shrine'll tell you to SEEK MIGHTIER SOULS, a nice code for "fight the four old ones." And if you made it through Shaded Woods and Freya without finding the Shrine, then I guess you didn't explore well enough the first time.

Remembering where locked doors are is pretty useful in this game.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

The hammer guys are fine, I don't see the big deal about them.

So just being able to attack forever and kill you when their AI feels like is fine then?

quote:

The hammer guys can't combo forever, they always have a second or two cooldown after attacking at which point you can hit them.

You are making poo poo up now. They can chain combos without any breaks as much as they want to. Sometimes they stop and sometimes they don't.

It also looks buggy as poo poo because they will CLEARLY end a combo and then just break the rest animation and go right back to smashing.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
The thing about the mace dudes in Shrine of Amina is that yeah they have a lot of stamina, they're pretty fast in water as well and they do significant damage, but they have shitall poise and are easy to dodge.

Now, the huge fuckoff dude with the greathammer in Dragon Shrine that auto-locks on and has huge range with his attacks and just keeps attacking? gently caress.