Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The first bonfire in harvest valley is literally 3 enemies from the second one.

On another note one of my characters ended up becoming a manly gentleman british explorer on safari.

I say what ho, going to have some fisticuffs with a lion before a spot of a tea, good show then!

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Renegret posted:

You're outside, in the horizon you see endless plains with windmills scattered around, butts in the sky. You are in one of the windmills.

You reach the deepest part of the building, enter an elevator, and it goes...up? And suddenly you're surrounded by a castle sinking into the lava.

I guess there's lava floating on top of butts and someone thought it would be a great idea to build a castle made of iron on top of the lava in my butts.

That being said, I'm willing to overlook it because Video Games, and this particular game is a lot of fun.

If you pay attention to the item descriptions The lava is a recent addition brought by the Smelter Demon. Otherwise it's just a regular huge castle on the tallest hill

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

EvilCornbread posted:

So it's cool to murder all the NPCs you want prior to NG+, right? They'll be back all happy and friendly?

Just be aware you Sin carries over from killing NPCs. After 10 kills you'll gain Sinner rank and are free game for the Blue Sentinels to poo poo on you.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
The loving Rat Authority is such a horribly made fight. The boss itself isn't that overly hard except for instantaneous spin around shots that 1 shot me but the worst part is the 4 rats that do insta kill toxic off the start.. It's like they added them just to aggravate people.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

GreyPowerVan posted:

I'm pretty sure if you take it up in the undead crypt he will attack you

This includes if you take the torch undead to that room too- he gets mad and all those guards go berserk on you. My first playthrough, I actually summoned a white phantom and they trolled the poo poo out of me by signaling to not attack the torch guy and then black crystalling out with the "I'm Sorry" carving after we cleared the first room. So when I walked into that room all those grave wardens immediately jumped me and made that level waaay harder 'cause I suddenly had to deal with an extra room of pretty rough enemies in an up close encounter for a pure caster. That dude was a fuckin' genius.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Renegret posted:

You're outside, in the horizon you see endless plains with windmills scattered around, butts in the sky. You are in one of the windmills.

You reach the deepest part of the building, enter an elevator, and it goes...up? And suddenly you're surrounded by a castle sinking into the lava.

I guess there's lava floating on top of butts and someone thought it would be a great idea to build a castle made of iron on top of the lava in my butts.

That being said, I'm willing to overlook it because Video Games, and this particular game is a lot of fun.

You go up into a volcano.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

TipsyMcStagger posted:

The loving Rat Authority is such a horribly made fight. The boss itself isn't that overly hard except for instantaneous spin around shots that 1 shot me but the worst part is the 4 rats that do insta kill toxic off the start.. It's like they added them just to aggravate people.

Yep. When you've killed the rats, the boss is basically won, as he's incredibly easy to dodge.
Cheap way to add some difficulty, but eh.

White Phosphorus posted:

You go up into a volcano.

Up from a building standing in the middle of a quarry(There are no mountains or hills close to it, have a look from the first bonfire of Harvest Valley.)

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The first bonfire in harvest valley is literally 3 enemies from the second one.

The only thing that I could possibly see being annoying about only having the first one is that if you go through the pool and get the goo on you and then sprint to the green fog pit that might be enough to automatically poison the average character. That second bonfire always boggled me. Maybe at some point in development the master-blaster guys were a real threat?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Renegret posted:

Theres a bigass mountain behind the earthen peak structure. Im p sure you go pretty deep into the earthen peak building, then take a lift up into the mountain, and iron keep sits in a caldera on the mountain.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
How can you become a blue cop, I havnt pvped yet, is that the easiest way to do it?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

WYA posted:

How can you become a blue cop, I havnt pvped yet, is that the easiest way to do it?

Do a boss as a white phantom to get a Token of Fidelity. Then go and kill not-Ornstein in Heides Tower of Flame, and talk to the dude standing on the balcony there.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Okay, I finished the game (saw the ending) but I definitely missed out on some NPCs. Not sure if I should just go exploring of my own free will or just hit up a guide and see what I missed (I more or less played the first run mostly blind).

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

WYA posted:

The easiest way to pvp is to go to the gutter. Or the Bellfry. PVP comes to you when you do that.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

EvilCornbread posted:

So it's cool to murder all the NPCs you want prior to NG+, right? They'll be back all happy and friendly?

Please do.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
The medusa boss grabbed my character but died during the animation which made my face glitch the gently caress out.

First I thought it was permanently messed up but exiting the game and loading in again fixed it.

You could almost say...

I saved face! :haw:

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

TipsyMcStagger posted:

The way I did it as a non-mage was using a bow and fire arrows to one shot all the rats when they first aggro.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Renegret posted:

This was a really confusing post until I remembered Cloud to Butt.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Didn't someone piece together the levels and find they made no sense as a contiguous world?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

folgore posted:

The way I did it as a non-mage was using a bow and fire arrows to one shot all the rats when they first aggro.

Or take a greatsword and wildly swing around until either you or the little rats are all dead. Works surprisingly well.

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do

folgore posted:

If you don't have the dex to one shot them you can at best take one out before the other 3 get to you and authority will have jumped down by then also, making it pretty much impossible at that point. Best bet if you don't have the dex or other range weapon to one shot them is go in and swing wildly, you either get lucky and take out all the rats before they toxic you and mommy jumps down or they toxic you and you get to try again.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Theres a bigass mountain behind the earthen peak structure. Im p sure you go pretty deep into the earthen peak building, then take a lift up into the mountain, and iron keep sits in a caldera on the mountain.

I see that bigass mountain but to be honest I'm not buying it. It's either not that big or really far away from the tower. I grabbed a screen shot of it right now, but what you can't see is that when you move your camera around the mountain in the background moves in such a way that puts it far in the background and certainly doesn't give the tower is built into the mountain. Although again, Video Games.

http://imgur.com/fx1gHxe

Plus I like my theory of floating lava clouds.

dis astranagant posted:

If you pay attention to the item descriptions The lava is a recent addition brought by the Smelter Demon. Otherwise it's just a regular huge castle on the tallest hill

Where is this? There's so much poo poo to read I could be misremembering but I thought I read somewhere that the castle was built on top of the mountain and it sunk into the lava because something something hubris of man.

I haven't thought about it much until now to be honest.

e:

Inspector_666 posted:

This was a really confusing post until I remembered Butt to Butt.

Oh Jeez I forgot it messes with the preview button.

I'm leaving it that way though :colbert:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Didn't someone piece together the levels and find they made no sense as a contiguous world?

Sort of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kshiTrSDles

I shouldn't need to say this, but stay away from the comments. They're like this thread but somehow worse.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Nah, you go into the free standing building that isn't touching any mountains. You can look down from it when you're burning the nonsensical windmill and see the area you came from below you. It's one of the few areas in DS2 where you can see very precisely the connectivity between one area and the next. Then you go up the magical elevator and come out in lava sky world. In a map viewer it's blatantly obvious. Iron Keep literally sits on top of Earthen Peak, just floating up in the sky, invisible.

Edit: Yeah, this:

BobTheJanitor fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 13, 2014

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That loving sounds like something someone would do.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

One leads to the Skeleton Lords and the other leads to the Undead Purgatory? It's not that big a deal, you have to unlock the second one anyway. I think the real reason it's there is so you know there's a reason to go into that hut with Creighton.

No, the other one. The first is at Felkin, second is past the tree you knock down. Because you knock the tree down, it doesn't really matter except to save like 30 seconds.

Anyway for crossbow chat, how good is the skeleton crossbow? How does the shield mechanic work? Does it just block stuff while the firing animation plays? Is it actually useful as a shield in any way or is it just the next damage step up until the Avelyn (or the heavy crossbow. It's not weaker than that right)? My melee deprived has enough attenuation for 1 spell (two with a ring on), but at 50 casting speed the windup is hilariously long, and I suspect at 6 int/6 faith no matter what the pyromancies will do poo poo damage, so I've been using a light crossbow for range until now.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Renegret posted:

Yeah, I really disagree with people saying to roll through the casters and stab them. I tried that twice. First time I fell into a hole in the ground I couldn't see because of the water.

The second time I reached the closest caster (the only one attacking me when I started running), except by the time I got there I was being attacked by several frogmen I didn't see on the way, and gained the ire of two more casters. I got poked to death.

It's easier and safer to just take them out from a distance. Doesn't take too much longer anyway.

It's not hard, it's just not fun. Same thing with the gutter and black gulch, they're not hard, but whenever I think about going through them, I decide to just go do something else instead.

Seriously, gently caress Black Gulch. Who thought a level where you stab a hundred stationary statues was fun? There's too many to just avoid and poison does too much damage to ignore. It's very short and easy but doesn't stop it from being such an unfun slog.

Fun fact: there's a second bonfire

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Heide doesn't make sense either. The entire area is floating in the middle of the ocean. The tunnel through which you enter comes out of a rock spire surrounded by water.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

uber_stoat posted:

Heide doesn't make sense either. The entire area is floating in the middle of the ocean. The tunnel through which you enter comes out of a rock spire surrounded by water.

It sucks that you never go up that tower and only down too.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

uber_stoat posted:

Yeah, Heide is also rather jarring if you look over at it from Majula.
Not to mention the sub-sea level Wharf.

Would have been neat if they actually stuck to it and made it look like it was fully underwater. Could have had some kickass cutscene where you ride the ghost ship to the surface.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

No, the other one. The first is at Felkin, second is past the tree you knock down. Because you knock the tree down, it doesn't really matter except to save like 30 seconds.

Anyway for crossbow chat, how good is the skeleton crossbow? How does the shield mechanic work? Does it just block stuff while the firing animation plays? Is it actually useful as a shield in any way or is it just the next damage step up until the Avelyn (or the heavy crossbow. It's not weaker than that right)? My melee deprived has enough attenuation for 1 spell (two with a ring on), but at 50 casting speed the windup is hilariously long, and I suspect at 6 int/6 faith no matter what the pyromancies will do poo poo damage, so I've been using a light crossbow for range until now.

There's a tree you can knock down in Huntsman Copse?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Wow, made it to Iron Keep and every weapon I have is complete poo poo against Alonne Knights. Most don't stagger them reliably, the ones that do still do very little damage. :sigh:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

RBA Starblade posted:

When you're aiming its as if you're holding a shield up, not just as you fire. Its not really good as either a crossbow or a shield though.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Wow, made it to Iron Keep and every weapon I have is complete poo poo against Alonne Knights. Most don't stagger them reliably, the ones that do still do very little damage. :sigh:

A properly upgraded greatsword served me well.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
Those gold dragon knights on the steps before the Ancient Dragon really owned me. Felt kind of dirty resorting to poison arrow spam knowing I couldn't reliably handle them in melee.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Alright, fess up, which one of you was this.

VERY GOOD VERY GOOD VERY GOOD

You made my god drat night, holy poo poo. The only thing I've seen maul dudes faster than that was me shooting GRS at poor dodgers. It's only a shame I have not been out to Iron Keep yet.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I'm guessing you are a DEX build. Try rolling past their attacks and backstabbing

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Jesus christ, I can't even reach the second bonfire in Shrine of Amana NG+ now. Just a single archdrake knight hits me now and then because I can't block all of his hits, and he frequently chains attacks so that I'm struck right after dodging. And then there's a pack of three that come together that I just can't get past. :suicide:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

The hammer guys are fine, I don't see the big deal about them.

Genocyber posted:

No I'm not, they always pause after a few attacks. It's a short pause but it's there.

http://puu.sh/8yOdK.webm

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Cyberventurer posted:

And then there's a pack of three that come together that I just can't get past. :suicide:

You can't pull them singly? I could face pull them one at a time with my melee character (albeit only tried on NG), no ranged weapon either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Well he did pause :v: