Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Tim Chuma posted:

In all honesty I was going to try to do something on this site, but too many people are posting stupid poo poo or want support just to run things that should be a hobby. I have poured all my money for the last ten years and most of my time into my own work and thought I might be able to get some support. Bollocks to that idea then....

So because other people are getting money for poo poo things you're not going to try for what you feel is your own not-poo poo thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

HowSoonIsNow posted:

No takers yet

Give it time.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I'm very happy that Patreon exists. It's helping me do cool things I wouldn't otherwise be able to do. It makes a lot more sense than Kickstarter does for the kind of ongoing work I like to create and support.

All that said, the "Discover" tab is fraught with ASMR videos and NSFW webcomics. It'd be cool if that stuff wasn't so apparent on the surface... But I feel like the service is so new that it hasn't reached a critical mass of non-embarrassing things to feature.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Just googled ASMR.

Nerds are good at coming up with new retarded things to obsess over.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

RottenK posted:

Just googled ASMR.

I would sponsor a Patreon for somebody doing a psychiatric study to prove that ASMR is a real thing and not just the newest special snowflake self-diagnosis du jour or some weird fetish.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tim Chuma posted:

Can we include Patreon on this? I am too scared to start a new thread.

Red Letter Media is now getting over $4000 per month to create videos, but not everyone can be Red Letter Media.

They're nearly up to $5000 now. Remember that this isn't a one off lump sum, it's $5k of automated payments every month. Zach Weinersmith of SMBC is getting over $8k per month (that's about $100,000 annually, minus fees and taxes) and even Tim Buckley is pulling in over $2.5k monthly from Patreon.
Creators can also set the donation schedule to "per creation" rather than "per month". Filmcow (the Charlie the Unicorn people) are only pulling $900 per video but they pump out several videos every month.

Edit: okay I've been scrolling through the Patreon listings for a while now and they're mostly Minecraft fans, LOL random! youtubers, deviantart furry erotica artists, LPers, webcomic artists, 'writers', creepy dudes, "happiness creators" and the like and most of them have between zero to $12 in monthly pledges, most likely pity pledges from aunts and uncles. There's also a bunch of hilarious guys who have tried to set up Patreon accounts to support them doing nothing.

And then every now and then there'll be something like this:

http://www.patreon.com/user?u=141031

quote:

Pledge $20.00 or more per month (Limited 3 of 3 left)
The first three patrons to show their support of $20+ will get a signed photo of me, gardening.

Pledge $100.00 or more per month (Limited 2 of 2 left)
$100 is a rare donation! I've decided to make the reward even more rare! For the first two patrons donating $100+, I will sign, and seal in wax paper, a leaf from the very land I'll be working with your donation! Now that's art appreciation you can hold!

Yep, if you agree to pay her $240 annually she'll send you a photo. Giving her $1,200 a year will earn you a leaf! But there's only two leaves available so you'd better RUSH to grab one.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 12:30 on May 13, 2014

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They're nearly up to $5000 now. Remember that this isn't a one off lump sum, it's $5k of automated payments every month. Zach Weinersmith of SMBC is getting over $8k per month (that's about $100,000 annually, minus fees and taxes) and even Tim Buckley is pulling in over $2.5k monthly from Patreon.
Creators can also set the donation schedule to "per creation" rather than "per month". Filmcow (the Charlie the Unicorn people) are only pulling $900 per video but they pump out several videos every month.

You can also limit how much you're willing to donate per month, so that creators couldn't just churn out three hundred zero-content videos in one month and disappear with all the money. That's slightly better than kickstarter, I guess.

Edit: Also, love the photo on that patreon.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

RottenK posted:

Just googled ASMR.

It's just a euphemism for stuff that gives dorks boners. More specifically, for being talked to by a young woman with nice tits in a tone of voice usually associated with "someone who'll probably gently caress you". Except instead of talking about exciting poo poo like boning, they talk about haircuts and renting a video.

e: Also of course Patreon's home to a whopping quantity of garbage, it's on the Internet.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
ASMR is just goosebumps, right? That's the poo poo they're describing? This is almost as sad as the time all those 4chan kiddies convinced themselves that binaural beats is CYBERDRUGS.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
In zachs defense his comic is really funny

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

ASMR is just goosebumps, right? That's the poo poo they're describing?

I believe the preferred nomenclature is "tingles"

killstealing posted:

In zachs defense his comic is really funny

No defense needed, I'm genuinely happy for him.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
He's still named weinersmith too I mean c'mon

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

All you need to know about ASMR:

(Possibly NSFW, if only because someone might think you're looking at something fetishy(probably because it is))
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVpfHgC3ye0

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Don't tingleshame, big boobed women pretending to cut my hair is my loving poo poo

PiCroft posted:

All you need to know about ASMR:

(Possibly NSFW, if only because someone might think you're looking at something fetishy(probably because it is))
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVpfHgC3ye0

Better slap a trigger warning on this bitch cause this caused me to go into ASMR spasms holy poo poo i'm spurtin here

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
You weirdos, there's nothing remotely sexual about pretty women with whispery voices and lowcut tops pretending to take an interest in my work day while pretending to give me a hot oil foot massage :rolleyes:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I am 100% behind folks learning how to bilk internet gasbags of their stupid dollars. I mean it's one quick step from here to actual financial bondage stuff but w/e if I was attractive and female I'd do it too. It's no JOI cuck fantasy e-book but w/e I've masturbated to weirder things.

edit- aaaah oh my god lady your mouth sounds like someone trying to pick apart sheets of too-old lunch meats, pop filter that poo poo

PHIZ KALIFA has a new favorite as of 13:50 on May 13, 2014

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I am 100% behind folks learning how to bilk internet gasbags of their stupid dollars. I mean it's one quick step from here to actual financial bondage stuff but w/e if I was attractive and female I'd do it too. It's no JOI cuck fantasy e-book but w/e I've masturbated to weirder things.

edit- aaaah oh my god lady your mouth sounds like someone trying to pick apart sheets of too-old lunch meats, pop filter that poo poo

I'm okay with internet women milking weirdos for all they're worth, but that doesn't mean I can't make fun of the weirdos themselves :v:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Tim Buckley is pulling in over $2.5k monthly from Patreon.

2400, after taxes is only like $2000, quick back of envelope math tells me he's making about 12 bucks an hour. He also gets no health insurance, so how's he financing all these miscarriages? Congratulations, you are a 35 year old guy with a job that pays slightly more than minimum wage?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

2400, after taxes is only like $2000, quick back of envelope math tells me he's making about 12 bucks an hour. He also gets no health insurance, so how's he financing all these miscarriages? Congratulations, you are a 35 year old guy with a job that pays slightly more than minimum wage?

I don't think it's his only income. There must be people who buy t-shirts or whatever stupid merchandise he's selling. And probably ads.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Paladinus posted:

I don't think it's his only income. There must be people who buy t-shirts or whatever stupid merchandise he's selling. And probably ads.

Yep. Even if he was only breaking even off those before he's now breaking even plus an extra $2,000. All he has to do every month is 'release' his regular comics early to his backers, host one 30 minute livestream , draw an "exclusive" wallpaper (which could be any old poo poo) and draw one extra strip featuring the four $100 backers as characters. He's pretty much getting a bonus $2000 every month for a day's work.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 15:48 on May 13, 2014

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

killstealing posted:

In zachs defense his comic is really funnysometimes really funny but more often than not overly pleased with itself about how smart it is

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

In zachs defense his comic is sometimes really funny but more often than not overly pleased with itself about how smart it is

queue alt text involving his wife disapproving, or the words "graph jokes"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Character 1: Sometimes I think about things.
Character 2: Ha-ha, things? What are things? Don't you know SCIENCE?
Character 1: That's why I don't like science and scientists.
-- 50% of SMBC

Other 50% are alright and sometimes really good

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I was wondering why Penny Arcade hadn't already dived into Patreon but it turns out they'd had pretty much the same idea for themselves a decade ago and they reopened 'Club PA' a few months back. After all, why use a funding platform to beg for donor subscriptions when you can do it yourself and save on fees? I can't find any mention of how many of their fans actually signed up except a comment that "the response has been incredible".

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Ridiculously successful and wealthy music game dev wants you to give them money for a game not because they need it but to gauge interest. That's totally what Kickstarter is all about! :waycool:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I have no marketable skills. What kind of Patreon campaign should I run?

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Unguided posted:

I have no marketable skills. What kind of Patreon campaign should I run?

Feminism documentary.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Harmonix is ridiculously successful, but they aren't particularly wealthy.

They got acquired by Viacom when Guitar Hero / Rock Band became smash hits; then, the genre got oversaturated, RockBand3 sold like poo poo, and Viacom started trying to ditch them as cheaply as possible. They ended up selling Harmonix to a private investor for $50 and wrote off the entire value of the company as a loss on their taxes. Harmonix immediately went into restructuring, and laid off roughly a quarter of their company.

They're now a relatively small company, by video game developer standards; they're turning over good profits, but the bulk of that is them living off of ongoing DLC sales from Rock Band and Dance Central.

The rhythm music game is basically completely dead, so I don't think they can find an independent publisher for something like this; it's this or Steam.

There's been worse abuse of Kickstarter.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

Feminism documentary series.

FTFY in regards to Patreon

\/\/\/ Also, you'd get so much bank from people donating because they're trying to prove something.

Young Freud has a new favorite as of 22:40 on May 13, 2014

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I think an MRA channel would fly, too. It's more niche but people are in general more dedicated.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tim Chuma posted:

Can we include Patreon on this? I am too scared to start a new thread.

Red Letter Media is now getting over $4000 per month to create videos, but not everyone can be Red Letter Media.

http://www.patreon.com/PonySplash

FEATHERSPLASH IS CREATING
MILKSHAKES THAT WILL BRING ALL THE BRONIES TO THE YARD

Institute capital punishment for crowd funding.

How's that different from what Shaqfu 2 and Mighty No. 9 did?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Evil Fluffy posted:

Because people are stupid and think Kickstarter is only supposed to be for people who have no money already.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
$1,500 for a campaign to "start up a small press dedicated to helping independent writers reach a wider audience bt producing monthly chapbooks."

Odium Press posted:

Odium Press seeks to help authors of horror, bizarro, and other speculative fiction genres find exposure and get their products into print. We will begin small by releasing one chapbook or novella a month and hope to expand into complete short story collections after the first year and eventually into full length novels.

The money collected will be used to:

1) Pay the authors. Recognition is nice, but it doesn't buy toilet paper.

2) Artistic Design

3) Taxes, Titles. Licensing and Permit Fees. (Oh, bureaucracy)

4) Advertising

5) Web hosting and design.

Finally, a venue for my Bitcoin slasher story.

I don't know poo poo about the business side of books, but I do know that printing's expensive. Surely, if this were funded, all the money would be gone after a single print run if they don't burn it all on the web-hosting and design work?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Paladinus posted:

I think an MRA channel would fly, too. It's more niche but people are in general more dedicated.
Dedicated to what

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

tlarn posted:

I don't know poo poo about the business side of books, but I do know that printing's expensive. Surely, if this were funded, all the money would be gone after a single print run if they don't burn it all on the web-hosting and design work?

They could be [and should be] using a service like Create Space, which only prints a copy of the book when someone actually buys it and then takes a cut of the sale price. It would cut down on their ability to get into book shops, of course, but that's probably the least of their worries.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

sinking belle posted:

Dedicated to what
MR

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
"Getting published" in a paying market is important if you're trying to start a career or sidejob doing genre fiction in general. This includes making you eligible for winning awards and poo poo and getting considered for publishing in the actual big time magazines and publishing houses. This kickstarter company probably won't even publish actual paper copies of the stories, but that's not needed as online-only publishing has been considered ok for quite a while.

I think I'm missing some details here, someone who actually does it for a living would know more about it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

sinking belle posted:

Dedicated to what

To watching stupid videos that are in line with their opinions.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Fluffy posted:

Shaq-Fu 2 was an indie company that bought the Shaq-Fu rights and Mighty No 9 was a new company. If Capcom had been running a Kickstarter for a new Megaman game as a way of gauging interest I'm pretty sure people would be making fun of them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Here's a new crapfest MMO kickstarter. I'm mad that there's no official video but there is a vid of prop placement or some poo poo.

quote:

Risks and challenges

The only real obstacle I see is the release date. While everything is set in motion and the projected date seems obtainable, development road blocks may arise.

I will provide weekly & monthly updates and the current projected road-map for each development cycle. In the event that it doesn't look like I will hit the scheduled "release" date of 12/20/2018 and funding has ceased to exist, I'll have to go back to part time. Funding without a doubt will last throughout the date of the scheduled release.

I will make every effort to make sure we release on time!

So what about if you don't get your money, fella