Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Abandoning allows you to find it in adventure, IIRC, but life doesn't go on there- all the poo poo will be scattered around and inhabited by monsters and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

hailthefish posted:

Abandoning allows you to find it in adventure, IIRC, but life doesn't go on there- all the poo poo will be scattered around and inhabited by monsters and such.

Additionally, all of your former dwarves just decide to wander the wilds as a giant group. You'll find them just loitering in the middle of a field, like some sort of weird dwarven spring break.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Hm. I should not abandon my fortress just yet, then.

Looks like I have to wait for an update before being able to retire a fortress to minding itself while I adventure or make a new civilization.

I will be most curious to find out what the many, many adventure mode features are like once an update is released.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

scamtank posted:

Not this month it hasn't. June 14th is the magic number to pass.

Didn't Toady says something about not getting to any more milestones, so we should have the update before then!

(Yeah, I know, but I can be hopeful.)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

scamtank posted:

Not this month it hasn't. June 14th is the magic number to pass.

Hey, that's when my kid is due! He'll surely be covered in filth in no time.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Bad Munki posted:

remember to give them armour diapers, you'll never have to change them.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Bad Munki posted:

If they spend several days at a stretch drinking alcohol directly from the barrel, you have a problem. IDC how normal an occurrence this is in DF.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Hm. I should not abandon my fortress just yet, then.

Looks like I have to wait for an update before being able to retire a fortress to minding itself while I adventure or make a new civilization.

I will be most curious to find out what the many, many adventure mode features are like once an update is released.

If you look through my posts in this threadCheck out my post I quoted below, you'll find out how to use DFhack to retire a fort and go adventuring in the same world without actually having the fort get abandoned. The dwarves will all stay at the fort, and if you mark it as 'lair' the items won't get scattered either.

The only thing that you have to watch out for is things in cages (like goblins) will probably be out and about in the fort, too. I'd recommend making sure your map is clear of any hostiles before retiring the fort to avoid dwarves getting hurt.

Moridin920 posted:

I like to get a fortress started, train up a dwarf and equip him or her with the best gear I can, and then take that dwarf adventuring.

If you want to do that, use DFhack:

1. Put the cursor over the dwarf (or other entity) you want to control. This is important because everything will go black in a second.
2. type 'mode set' in DFhack, then change to adventure mode (type in '1' and hit enter)
3. type 'dfusion', type 2 to get to adventure tools, then 2 again to change adventurer to whatever is at your cursor
4. Back in the game, hit ESC and then you should be able to rest or retire as a peasant. Do that, then save the game (might want to make a copy of your savefile for this).

You should now be able to start a new adventurer game in your world, and select the retired character and start playing as him. You might also want to type in 'lair' at some point or everything in your fortress will scatter all over the place. As far as I can tell your fortress still runs in the background more or less.

*upon starting the adventure mode with your new adventurer, everything in cages or on chains will be set free and will be loose somewhere, FBs walled in caverns might teleport up to your fort*

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 12, 2014

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Moridin920 posted:

If you look through my posts in this threadCheck out my post I quoted below, you'll find out how to use DFhack to retire a fort and go adventuring in the same world without actually having the fort get abandoned. The dwarves will all stay at the fort, and if you mark it as 'lair' the items won't get scattered either.

The only thing that you have to watch out for is things in cages (like goblins) will probably be out and about in the fort, too. I'd recommend making sure your map is clear of any hostiles before retiring the fort to avoid dwarves getting hurt.

Will they give quests?

I once put a fort a bit near a goblin stronghold. Closer than I realized at embark.

Once I realized this I was worried about them coming to kill the dwarves, the lack of armor and decent weapons.

After a year I started getting suspicious. It turned out the goblins were neutral, just minding their own business standing sentry in their stronghold. Interesting bug. I ended up killing all the ones on the surface to equip my militia.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure if they give quests, but you can talk to them and recruit them, and they have the full range of conversation choices like any other NPC.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Is there any mod, trick, special technique or pretty much anything to make building surface forts not such a huge pain in the rear end? I want to try another one but building via walls is such a giant pain in the rear end.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Diogines posted:

Is there any mod, trick, special technique or pretty much anything to make building surface forts not such a huge pain in the rear end? I want to try another one but building via walls is such a giant pain in the rear end.

One of the improvements in the last update greatly reduced the chance of a dwarf making a construction from a position which would leave them no path out. So there is that (finally). Also instead of making blocks at a mason's workshop going from 1 stone = 1 block, it now makes 4 or 6 blocks. Also it helps if you place block/lumber/stone stockpiles near the location where your wall will be.

So in short, no. Surface forts still cool, still a giant pain in the rear end.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Diogines posted:

There are some dfhack plugins that make it a little easier logistically. Like the ability to make a wall 100 tiles long instead having to do 10 walls 10 tiles long.

The masterwork mod, among other things, makes surface forts less of a pain. There are tree farms, block-colorers, and lots of other stuff that makes material collection easier. It also includes/integrates a lot of the awesome dfhack plugins.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Diogines posted:

Sure! The easiest way is to locate your surface fort several z-levels underground, preferably in a nice layer of ore-rich stone. :v:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Build an underground fort and excavate it! :v:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

hailthefish posted:

:aaa: You are a genius.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

hailthefish posted:

Yes, this is the best option.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

PublicOpinion posted:

Yes, this is the best option.

I hope nobody is looking because I am stealing the hell out of that design.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Anyone an expert in how megabeast / titan / forgotten beast encounters are determined?

In particular, I'm curious if DF actually models the above wandering around and sometimes wandering into your fort as a simulation, or if it's just a random event; if it is just a random event, how does it pick what monster you get and are megabeasts and titans drawn from the same pool or from separate ones?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Anyone an expert in how megabeast / titan / forgotten beast encounters are determined?

In particular, I'm curious if DF actually models the above wandering around and sometimes wandering into your fort as a simulation, or if it's just a random event; if it is just a random event, how does it pick what monster you get and are megabeasts and titans drawn from the same pool or from separate ones?

Megabeasts that come to your fort are much, much more likely to be ones with lairs near your fort itself. So, if you have a roc's nest a day's walk away and a dragon's cave three weeks away, you're almost definitely going to be getting that roc as your first megabeast visitor. Titans and forgotten beasts, as far as I know, are just crafted from the aether.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Daeren posted:

Megabeasts that come to your fort are much, much more likely to be ones with lairs near your fort itself. So, if you have a roc's nest a day's walk away and a dragon's cave three weeks away, you're almost definitely going to be getting that roc as your first megabeast visitor. Titans and forgotten beasts, as far as I know, are just crafted from the aether.

I'm trying to figure out how to get dragons to attack my fort instead of just titans and forgotten beasts all the time. Titans, at least, aren't just crafted out of the aether; you can specify number of titans at world generation and they have proper histories like a megabeast.

What I'd really like is a way to precisely specify the number of forgotten beasts generated with the world but it doesn't seem to be possible. Judging by legend mode it looks like they're 1:1 with traditional megabeasts but that's even worse because it means I can't even up the odds by just generating more of the former.

edit: The wiki suggests their population is affected by world size. Maybe I can mess with the ratio; time to try a pocket dimension.

edit2: It works! I got only 12 forgotten beasts in a pocket dimension even with 400 megabeasts. I wonder how high I can go before the game stops letting me add more megabeasts (or before they destroy all civilization before worldgen completes.)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 13, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND MEGABEASTS... freezes up the game if you try it in a pocket dimension. Next up, something a little more modest.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND MEGABEASTS... freezes up the game if you try it in a pocket dimension. Next up, something a little more modest.

:golfclap:

I was way psyched the first time one of my civilizations was attacked by a dragon. Then I was sad she got caught in a cage trap. My militia massed and murdered her. Then we made dragon soap.

Wouldn't mind a few more dragons...

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Suicide Sam E. posted:

:golfclap:

I was way psyched the first time one of my civilizations was attacked by a dragon. Then I was sad she got caught in a cage trap. My militia massed and murdered her. Then we made dragon soap.

Wouldn't mind a few more dragons...

I caught and tamed a dragon once. Then I chained it out front as the best watch dog ever. It worked pretty well, except when a kobold or something showed up, it started a huge grassfire that burned everything on this side of the river. Grassfires are FPS death.

Could have been worse though. At least it wasn't guarding the booze stockpile.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

*pounding and grunting noises*

Toady One posted:

More fixing of things. I'm in the middle of cleaning up further problems that cropped up with sparring, and perhaps an older bug there with how the unassigned lists of students are maintained. Lots of other stuff... buggy climbing announcements, a problem that arose climbing while losing your hold heading downward, some tweaking of the new wg megabeast attacks, other broken combat training, some more information as you travel in tunnels, fixed up evaporation of sweat/tears/etc. so dwarves wouldn't be so clean-happy, changed contaminant drinking, and so on. Reaction modding alert: globs have an amount more like liquids/powders/bars now (came up during the contaminant stuff since it needed to be homogenized).

Aydjile
Oct 13, 2013

Survive Adapt Improve
watch out for the ambush!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Isn't one of the worldgen parameters the percentage of megabeasts that have to die off before worldgen will end?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Flesh Forge posted:

Isn't one of the worldgen parameters the percentage of megabeasts that have to die off before worldgen will end?

Can't you stop worldgen at any time?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yes, and you can also set a hard date at which it will end, just saying that if your goal is to have lots of megabeasts then you probably need to do more than just increase the number of megabeasts.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Do megabeasts ever meet in world gen and fight?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

I always turn that off, and usually only run my worldgen to 100 years or so anyways.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I only started playing DF about a week or so ago, and I'm really enjoying it. I usually just mess around in Fortress mode, but I did give Adventure mode a whirl once, where I died very quickly.

A few questions though:

1) Is there a decent primer on how to start a textile industry? I can get my metal industry up-and-running pretty quickly, but no one seems to want to build a loom or clothier's workshop. Is it just bad luck that none of my migrant labor has Weaving or Clothesmaking, or should I invest in one of those with my starting build?

2)Up until recently, a flock of Kea had been absconding with some rocks from my outdoor quarry (I'm building turrets outside). I stationed a few Marksdwarves outside and painted the hills with Kea blood. The field was littered with broken/unbroken bolts, where I had to go manually set each as 'claimable.' For some reason, the game decides that once a bolt is fired, no dwarf should touch it again. Can this be changed, or do I have to scour every z level for retrievable ammo each skirmish?

3) I'm trying to tidy up my fortress. Is there a way to do away with cavern moss, etc, on the first few levels of my fort?

4) I know some of you are ASCII purists, but I'm enjoying the current tileset I'm using (not sure the name, but it's in the LazyNewb pack) well enough, but I really would enjoy a real-time isometric view, a la Stonesense. Is there a plug-in that allows you to play DF using such an interface? I have dreams of playing this game with a tileset not unlike that of Final Fantasy: Tactics...

5) I just had my first encounter with a Werelizard! One of my dwarves got in a tussle with it, and it quickly reverted back to human form and high-tailed it off-screen, but not before opening a nice wound in my dwarf's arm. I think she's ok now, but I think I might have a weredwarf on my hands. Her status was listed as Pale, but now is listed as Faint (in addition to nerve damage, and reduced ability to grasp). Is she going to turn at some point? how do I prepare for Urist McWereLizard?

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 14, 2014

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

You can assign labors to people who don't have skills in them, in order to turn your migrant cheesemakers into something more useful. Use Dwarf Therapist to toggle the labors because the in game labor settings are annoying.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Dungeon Ecology posted:

1) Is there a decent primer on how to start a textile industry? I can get my metal industry up-and-running pretty quickly, but no one seems to want to build a loom or clothier's workshop. Is it just bad luck that none of my migrant labor has Weaving or Clothesmaking, or should I invest in one of those with my starting build?

You need a farmer's workshop, a loom, and a clothier's shop. Activate the plant processing, weaving, and clothesmaking labors on one or more dwarves. The "process plants" job turns pig tails into thread, thread will be automatically turned into cloth at the loom unless you've changed the workshop settings, and the clothier turns them into clothes. Dyeing is completely pointless, don't bother with it unless you absolutely MUST have blue cloaks on your military or something.

Alternatively you could use wool or silk but wool is more work and gathering silk tends to be dangerous.

Also, you can turn any labor on, on any dwarf. You don't have to wait for a migrant, let alone waste starting build points on something as easy to train and relatively low-priority as clothesmaking.

edit: also, to stay happy, dwarves need only a body covering, legs covering, and foot covering. Shirt, pants, shoes, and you're done. Alternatively turn your entire fortress into off-duty military and have them wear armor at all times and you never have to bother with this tedious nonsense again.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

For some reason, the game decides that once a bolt is fired, no dwarf should touch it again. Can this be changed, or do I have to scour every z level for retrievable ammo each skirmish?

It can be changed. Go to o for orders, F for forbid options, then p to toggle between forbid/claim used ammunition.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

3) I'm trying to tidy up my fortress. Is there a way to do away with cavern moss, etc, on the first few levels of my fort?

Build floors over them. Also anything that dwarves or animals walk over all the time will get trampled pretty quickly.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 14, 2014

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Do note that this cavern moss/grass is edible fodder for grazing-type domesticated animals, and is what makes embarking on (for example) tundra or glacier totally doable.

On "forbid" settings, you really want to take a close look at that menu. Typically you will want to set "forbid your dead", "forbid other non-hunted dead" and "forbid death items", so your dudes won't gang-rush the siege camp that just killed an escaping kobold thief, to get his precious cotton socks.

o-F-cio

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I only started playing DF about a week or so ago, and I'm really enjoying it. I usually just mess around in Fortress mode, but I did give Adventure mode a whirl once, where I died very quickly.

A few questions though:

2)Up until recently, a flock of Kea had been absconding with some rocks from my outdoor quarry (I'm building turrets outside). I stationed a few Marksdwarves outside and painted the hills with Kea blood. The field was littered with broken/unbroken bolts, where I had to go manually set each as 'claimable.' For some reason, the game decides that once a bolt is fired, no dwarf should touch it again. Can this be changed, or do I have to scour every z level for retrievable ammo each skirmish?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It can be changed. Go to o for orders, F for forbid options, then p to toggle between forbid/claim used ammunition.

Also, if you're claiming the {forbidden} you can select to un-forbid an area, and select multiple Z-levels just by changing the Z-level of the endpoint of the square. This is a newish feature and a vast improvement over going Z-level to Z-level repeating yourself.

E:
vast improvement

Suicide Sam E. fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 14, 2014

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Dungeon Ecology posted:

A few questions though:

5) I just had my first encounter with a Werelizard! One of my dwarves got in a tussle with it, and it quickly reverted back to human form and high-tailed it off-screen, but not before opening a nice wound in my dwarf's arm. I think she's ok now, but I think I might have a weredwarf on my hands. Her status was listed as Pale, but now is listed as Faint (in addition to nerve damage, and reduced ability to grasp). Is she going to turn at some point? how do I prepare for Urist McWereLizard?

1) See what Tuxedo Catfish said about setting up a textile industry, but I would like to add that dyeing is not entirely pointless. Dyeing clothing items will increase their value proportionate to the skill of the dyeing job. It's certainly not important, but if you want to trade clothing to merchants for whatever reason, dye it first. Silk can be dangerous to gather, but it can be made safer if you've got Exotic Animals set to NO in LNP, and you happen to be lucky enough that your civilization has tamed Giant Cave Spiders, which you could then request from your liaison and trade for from the caravans. They can be a lucrative source of silk if you can set up a silk farm.

2) If you don't care about selecting specific bolts or items to be reclaimed, you can go into the Stocks menu (make sure you have a bookkeeper dwarf) and reclaim whole types of items from there.

3) Constructed floors or grates will do away with mosses. Grates have the added bonus of being able to access the material below them if needed, for example sand for the glass industry.

5) Turning Pale and Faint are either from significant blood loss or a syndrome. Most likely the former. If you're worried about her turning into a were-lizard, you can construct a small quarantine room for her, stockpile some food and booze inside, and find a way to get her into the room (I'd make her the captain and lone member of a military squad and Order her to be stationed in the room then lock the door behind her.) Wait a few months to see if she changes.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Neurion posted:

1) See what Tuxedo Catfish said about setting up a textile industry, but I would like to add that dyeing is not entirely pointless. Dyeing clothing items will increase their value proportionate to the skill of the dyeing job. It's certainly not important, but if you want to trade clothing to merchants for whatever reason, dye it first. Silk can be dangerous to gather, but it can be made safer if you've got Exotic Animals set to NO in LNP, and you happen to be lucky enough that your civilization has tamed Giant Cave Spiders, which you could then request from your liaison and trade for from the caravans. They can be a lucrative source of silk if you can set up a silk farm.

You probably want to look into cage traps also, because spiders etc. can be captured and trained (and when those have babies, those can even be tamed, which is better)

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Is there any way to merge the Modest mod into Peridexis? Just a case of copying over the raws into the DF installation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Yeah, that's pretty much it. It seems that Peridexis' executable has more binary fixes piled in, so you might want to copy just the raws and not the modified .exe. Changing tilesets with the quick LNP menu is liable to remove all changes you make to the raws, though, so be careful about that.