Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Che Delilas posted:

I was thinking that or an attempt by Penny Arcade to make the job sound not quite so poo poo. The Windows XP thing is probably the most offensive thing on there, but #1 and #8 are pretty awful too.

At least they're doing you a favor and telling you not to waste your time applying.

#1 is so egregious to me. Hey there's no room for advancement but we expect you to give it your all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
I like that they put "company" in quotes. Makes it really obvious that these are "professionals."

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Renegret posted:

#1 is so egregious to me. Hey there's no room for advancement but we expect you to give it your all!

Yeah I don't get that one at all. "We need a mook, not a leader, and we need him forever." How could they possibly think there is a positive connotation to that, like what is going through their minds when they put it on a job ad?

I think the answer is, "a faint breeze" but it still just boggles my mind.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Zero VGS posted:

It's a small call center, about 16 Optiplex 780's and two Xerox Workcentres that claim 675 watts peak on each. We're lucky to get that much money out of them, frankly.

Do not under any circumstances connect the printers to your UPSes.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Che Delilas posted:

I was thinking that or an attempt by Penny Arcade to make the job sound not quite so poo poo. The Windows XP thing is probably the most offensive thing on there, but #1 and #8 are pretty awful too.

Oh no, don't let the posters on the game forums see you posting bad things about their beloved penny arcard. They still believe that PA isn't making $$ off the backs of a slave labor... er... "volunteer" workforce to run their major events.

I read a pretty good write up of that whole penny arcade job posting recently.

http://cwbuecheler.tumblr.com/post/68163195864/on-penny-arcade-exploitation-and-the-myth-of-the

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Sickening posted:

How much infrastructure is this ups expected to power for that startup time? Somehow I am thinking 4500 probably isn't going to cut it unless this place is super small.

If all its plugged into is the servers and networking bits it should be doable. You could also try to find a flywheel ups if you just need juice for a few seconds, but I have no idea what they cost. I'm guessing a lot more than 4500 since I've never seen them on anything but big server farms.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Great Beer posted:

If all its plugged into is the servers and networking bits it should be doable. You could also try to find a flywheel ups if you just need juice for a few seconds, but I have no idea what they cost. I'm guessing a lot more than 4500 since I've never seen them on anything but big server farms.

I looked into flywheels before I even asked... putting one in the generator box would solve all my problems, but they cost $60,000 each and our CFO did a spit take when I told him.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Zero VGS posted:

It's a small call center, about 16 Optiplex 780's and two Xerox Workcentres that claim 675 watts peak on each. We're lucky to get that much money out of them, frankly.

We put an APC BR1000G at each one of our developers desks. It's enough battery power to run their workstation and primary monitor for about 10 minutes and then shut everything down cleanly. They run 100 to 120 bucks, you can easily buy 16 of those and put one at each desk.

I'll also recommend against installing one on the printers.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

I like that they put "company" in quotes. Makes it really obvious that these are "professionals."

It's education or nonprofit probably. HVAC management programs are really common though and really easy to troubleshoot. The requirements are pretty bad, but nothing compared to the fact that part of your stated compensation is in "thank you"s and that you shouldn't have a five year plan.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

skipdogg posted:

We put an APC BR1000G at each one of our developers desks. It's enough battery power to run their workstation and primary monitor for about 10 minutes and then shut everything down cleanly. They run 100 to 120 bucks, you can easily buy 16 of those and put one at each desk.

My boss (actually really brilliant, really Greek guy) assures me running a printer on it is fine provided I get the true peak watts of the printer, and use an "Online" UPS, which apparently runs everything off the batteries at all times, instead of depending on a relay to switch from wall to battery on. I'm still skeptical though.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Zero VGS posted:

My boss (actually really brilliant, really Greek guy) assures me running a printer on it is fine provided I get the true peak watts of the printer, and use an "Online" UPS, which apparently runs everything off the batteries at all times, instead of depending on a relay to switch from wall to battery on. I'm still skeptical though.

Yeah that would probably work actually.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Zero VGS posted:

Do you really need the printer up and running for the 30 secs - 2 mins it would take for the generator to kick in and the printers to boot back up?

skipdogg posted:

If you go this route, you'll probably want to make it clear to the staff that they are not to plug in heaters to these as well. At the last hospital I was at, we had more than one UPS go up in smoke because someone plugged in a space heater.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

pr0digal posted:

An e-mail came in from a recruiter

Sure let me apply to that right away. My favorite is the HVAC Management thrown in there

I'd actually be okay with a position like this, so long as I really do get ownership of everything, I'm paid really well, and have a staff. I am pretty sure that's not how it goes. This looks like one of those "The CEO just bought an iPad, you need to get his AOL email on it."

Also pretty sure that the position pays $35k/year too.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

nitrogen posted:

I'd actually be okay with a position like this, so long as I really do get ownership of everything, I'm paid really well, and have a staff. I am pretty sure that's not how it goes. This looks like one of those "The CEO just bought an iPad, you need to get his AOL email on it."

Also pretty sure that the position pays $35k/year too.

Yeah, I am pretty sure that "ownership" just means "Everything that sucks about this thing" because I am sure the budgets, product choices, and rewards & recognitions are still going to whoever your leadership is.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sickening posted:

Yeah, I am pretty sure that "ownership" just means "Everything that sucks about this thing" because I am sure the budgets, product choices, and rewards & recognitions are still going to whoever your leadership is.

Yeah, obviously nitrogen is describing basically a management position. If you have a real salary and minions with various skills to dispatch to work on problems, it becomes a reasonable job. But it's obviously not, they want a tech who is a genius and also has no spine or ability to value his own time.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

recruiter nonsense posted:

8. who places value on the “second paycheck” (working with seniors and supporting others who appreciate their hard work)

You know what doesn't pay rent? The appreciation of others.

We have some HVAC stuff at work at a few locations and managing it is simply making sure there is someway to reach to the Webui (which runs java) so you can set the temperature. Usually the actual work on it is done by the vendor. Hopefully.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

CitizenKain posted:

You know what doesn't pay rent? The appreciation of others.

We have some HVAC stuff at work at a few locations and managing it is simply making sure there is someway to reach to the Webui (which runs java) so you can set the temperature. Usually the actual work on it is done by the vendor. Hopefully.

Easiest way is if it has SMTP, then you have it alert you if someone fucks with it or if the temp is past certain levels.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

TWBalls posted:

Do you really need the printer up and running for the 30 secs - 2 mins it would take for the generator to kick in and the printers to boot back up?

If you go this route, you'll probably want to make it clear to the staff that they are not to plug in heaters to these as well. At the last hospital I was at, we had more than one UPS go up in smoke because someone plugged in a space heater.

The Xerox are printing/faxing virtually non-stop, like over a million impressions, and my boss is worried aside from missing an important fax, that the Xerox will go down mid-print and create a nightmarish jam over the weekend. I'm trying to talk him into forgetting them because they are "supposed to" clear the paper path when they boot back up.

Luckily when it got warm a few months ago, I confiscated every space heater in the hospital and talked the CEO into making it policy since one made a wall socket catch fire. Good riddance. I have to sort out something to do next winter though. Either vented natural gas radiators, or work-issued snuggies.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Honestly you'd struggle for a large MFD style printer made in the last 10 years to jam just because it lost power. Those things are anal about making sure the paper paths are clear before doing anything, you'd be fine when the power came back on as long as someone hadn't tried tearing the sheet out.

You would lose the queue though.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
This morning I logged in to one of the DC's and was treated to a big red kerberos error (server 2012's dashboard really wants you to know when something is wrong with a monitored server) on our DC located at our DR site. Long story short, we hit all the criteria to be affected by this;

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...rum=winserverDS

Disabled computer account password resets on the DC's for now but hopefully Microsoft does something about it eventually.

Then in the afternoon PCs on our subnet were getting mshome.net dns suffixes and 192.168.137.1 DNS servers, which we eventually traced back to my coworker's laptop he brought in from home. He had enabled ICS on the wlan adapter and then plugged the lan adapter in. "I thought you needed to turn sharing on for the VPN :downs:" was his excuse.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

GreenNight posted:

Easiest way is if it has SMTP, then you have it alert you if someone fucks with it or if the temp is past certain levels.

Hello,

If you are going to test your Generators or UPS', please do everyone a favor and please call your friendly neighborhood NOC to give them a heads up you're touching it. We get nervous very easily.

Kind Regards,

Your friendly neighborhood NOC

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

TWBalls posted:

I used to have a postit on which I'd written "DO NOT PLUG IN SPACE HATERS - WILL BREAK CIRCUIT." I put it over the outlet. Someone plugged in their space heater right through the post-it.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

sfwarlock posted:

I used to have a postit on which I'd written "DO NOT PLUG IN SPACE HATERS - WILL BREAK CIRCUIT." I put it over the outlet. Someone plugged in their space heater right through the post-it.

When you're cold, survival trumps reading skills. Or intelligence.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

sfwarlock posted:

Cosmos is awesome, those haters get what they deserve.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

Sickening posted:

Oh no, don't let the posters on the game forums see you posting bad things about their beloved penny arcard. They still believe that PA isn't making $$ off the backs of a slave labor... er... "volunteer" workforce to run their major events.

I read a pretty good write up of that whole penny arcade job posting recently.

http://cwbuecheler.tumblr.com/post/68163195864/on-penny-arcade-exploitation-and-the-myth-of-the

Having worked at two video game companies (and subsequently getting laid off from both of them), I can confirm that yes, by and large, game companies will take advantage of their employees' "passion".

Don't work at videogame companies.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Casull posted:

Having worked at two video game companies (and subsequently getting laid off from both of them), I can confirm that yes, by and large, game companies will take advantage of their employees' "passion".

Don't work at videogame companies.

I used to want to be a programmer at a game company, and then EA Wives and other similar stories started happening and decided that maybe it wasn't such a great idea.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Renegret posted:

Hello,

If you are going to test your Generators or UPS', please do everyone a favor and please call your friendly neighborhood NOC to give them a heads up you're touching it. We get nervous very easily.

Kind Regards,

drat this

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Renegret posted:

Hello,

Kind Regards,

Related:

When I ask you if it's OK for me to take a teletext inserter offline for upgrades don't lie to me and say everything's fine. It's pretty drat embarrassing to get a call from one of the techs because he got a call from the NOC because you couldn't be arsed to give them a call and mention that the inserter would be offline for a few hours.
It's especially embarrassing when the tech is on vacation and has to step away from his family to try solving a problem that could easily be avoided in the first place. :argh:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Related:

If you are going to take a customer's environments down, please let the NOC know. Or, even better, use that lil' link in the corner there that says "schedule downtime."

And when I call you, please don't tell me you're not sure what's wrong but you think I should just wait an hour. I can't wait an hour.

Just remembered the best one: if you are going to shut down the routing interfaces that connect the NOC to the outside world for testing, make a note of it and make sure to bring them back up. It will save us from having all those early heart attacks. Having to tether our workstations to a personal cell phone just to access the ticketing system and emails is not a thing that should ever happen.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 13, 2014

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I almost want to cry when I see how badly people manage to mess up our Latitude E6420 and E6430. These are computers encased in thick metal, and they still manage to bend, dent and break them. I've tried taking some dead ones and dropping them on the floor or on asphalt just to see what would happen, and the force necessary to replicate some of the poo poo I see boggles my mind.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Just remembered the best one: if you are going to shut down the routing interfaces that connect the NOC to the outside world for testing, make a note of it and make sure to bring them back up. It will save us from having all those early heart attacks. Having to tether our workstations to a personal cell phone just to access the ticketing system and emails is not a thing that should ever happen.

And better yet, when you take us down and can't get it back up, don't ask us to make a tracking ticket and call a specific person when I no longer have access to the ticketing system or the phone directory.

"Oh it's only going to go down for 5 minutes" my rear end. Our maintenance window is clearly defined, thanks for working outside of that window and breaking something, rear end in a top hat.

Crowley posted:

It's especially embarrassing when the tech is on vacation and has to step away from his family to try solving a problem that could easily be avoided in the first place. :argh:

I've...done this, at 3AM :saddowns:

To be fair, nobody updated the on call list to indicate he was going on vacation, and the on call guy didn't respond to pages so the next step was to call him directly.

I couldn't apologize enough, and the guy was uncomfortably understanding.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Two work colleagues with almost-identical names, differing only by one letter in the last name. Lets call them Jonas and Jonah.

Jonah's login to internal system suddenly stops working. Five seconds later, an email lands in Jonas's mailbox:

"From: IT Support Guy
Subject: Duplicate fixed

Hi Jonas,

I just discovered that there is a duplicate of your account with your name spelled incorrectly. But don't worry, i've already fixed it.

Best Regards,
IT Support Guy"

EDIT: Apparently this particular account delete action deletes the account's data, and is irreversible!

Bisse fucked around with this message at 11:48 on May 13, 2014

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Bisse posted:

Two work colleagues with almost-identical names, differing only by one letter in the last name. Lets call them Jonas and Jonah.

Jonah's login to internal system suddenly stops working. Five seconds later, an email lands in Jonas's mailbox:

Hi Jonas,

I just discovered that there is a duplicate of your account with your name spelled incorrectly. But don't worry, i've already fixed it.

Best Regards,
IT Support Guy"

:downs:

Props for trying to be proactive. A for effort.

F for execution.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Oh god, that reminds me of something I've probably already posted about.

During my first few months as a first-line technician (Hadn't really had any training, just picked it all up as I went) a ticket was raised by a company to investigate why their new backup drive wasn't being recognised.

Due to me being careless as poo poo, I went into disk management and located the drive, formatted it (Because it wasn't formatted) and set it up via Backup Exec.

What they didn't tell me, was that the drive I had just formatted used to be plugged into a Mac and had some critical company PST backups on there. Whoops!

To be fair though, it wasn't partitioned, so it was showing up as completely blank.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Bisse posted:

Hi Jonas,

Best Regards,
IT Support Guy"

EDIT: Apparently this particular account delete action deletes the account's data, and is irreversible!

I'm assuming that the duplicate employee was then fired, as they no longer existed. I no longer have hope that the "support" guy was punished.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

To be fair though, it wasn't partitioned, so it was showing up as completely blank.

It was probably using APM.

edit: APM not GPT.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Re: space heaters. I have some scars on my arm from burns I got fighting an electrical fire caused by space heaters. (And accountants too dumb to draw breath that actually physically held down the breaker, causing a fire in a junction box in the ceiling. )

Btw I didn't fight the fire because I was in IT at the time, it was more that there were 8 people around staring at the fire in the loving ceiling doing gently caress all. I decided to act.

The scars aren't that bad really, three tic tac sized spots on my arm and hand, but god drat people are dumb.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Volmarias posted:

I'm assuming that the duplicate employee was then fired, as they no longer existed.

Well, he didn't fill out a 27b/6. What does he expect?

evobatman posted:

I almost want to cry when I see how badly people manage to mess up our Latitude E6420 and E6430. These are computers encased in thick metal, and they still manage to bend, dent and break them. I've tried taking some dead ones and dropping them on the floor or on asphalt just to see what would happen, and the force necessary to replicate some of the poo poo I see boggles my mind.

The thing that gets me is that they'll deny all day long that they had anything to do with it. They have no idea what happened! It must have been aliens. That's the only explanation I see.

Motherfucker, these aren't my computers. I don't care what happened to it. Accidents happen, I get it, everyone gets it. Just don't lie to me!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I remember when I replaced an HR persons laptop, and her brand new laptop had a hardware defect (was legit, needed a new motherboard). So I gave her back her old laptop and she threw a fit to my boss saying how could I give her such a piece of garbage that someone obviously abused. She didn't even pretend to be embarrassed when I told her it was her old one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

guppy posted:

Well, he didn't fill out a 27b/6. What does he expect?

The thing that gets me is that they'll deny all day long that they had anything to do with it. They have no idea what happened! It must have been aliens. That's the only explanation I see.

Motherfucker, these aren't my computers. I don't care what happened to it. Accidents happen, I get it, everyone gets it. Just don't lie to me!

Haha, yeah.
:angel: Some of the keys on my laptop don't work.
:raise: Has anything been spilled on it?
:angel: No.
*Shluurrrp* noise as I pry the keyboard from the base and stare at the brown swirly coffee patterns underneath

• Locked thread