Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Geirskogul posted:

Too bad I have to do all work on the side of the road at my townhouse, or else that would be a tasty proposition.
If you're going to choose a car to work on like that, a Beetle's one of the best.

My dad owned a succession of really manky Beetles back in the late sixties when he lived in Glasgow. He was halfway through an engine swap at the side of the road outside his tenement block, when a member of the local constabulary advised him that he would be well-served to no longer be involved in said activity when the officer concerned passed back that way in another half an hour. Being a Beetle, he did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I really want an ACVW but all of the bodies here are rusted to poo poo. It'd be fun to build a baja bug (whether Subaru engined or not) but it feels wrong to be forced to store a tough, cheap offroad car indoors to keep the weather from eating it.

Maybe a Cali shell, if any still exist...

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

leica posted:

I want to go with FI on my Miata eventually at some point, but in my head I keep going back and forth between an SC or turbo. I suppose it will come down to money, whatever I can get used for the best price :(

You can get more top end out of a turbo but I still want a supercharged Miata anyway. The sound and feel is the thing I miss most from my Mini, it screamed like a banshee once it was revved up

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

InitialDave posted:

If you're going to choose a car to work on like that, a Beetle's one of the best.

My dad owned a succession of really manky Beetles back in the late sixties when he lived in Glasgow. He was halfway through an engine swap at the side of the road outside his tenement block, when a member of the local constabulary advised him that he would be well-served to no longer be involved in said activity when the officer concerned passed back that way in another half an hour. Being a Beetle, he did it.

There's something to be said for not having to deal with a cooling system or engine hoist. :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

A couple of weeks ago a lovely deep red beetle almost perfectly stock turned up in the car park at work, today a workmate sent me this:

Same car. I'm all for free expression through modifying your car, but when everyone modified their beetle the same way by ruining the paint and suspension it gets a little lovely.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Cakefool posted:

A couple of weeks ago a lovely deep red beetle almost perfectly stock turned up in the car park at work, today a workmate sent me this:

Same car. I'm all for free expression through modifying your car, but when everyone modified their beetle the same way by ruining the paint and suspension it gets a little lovely.

That's all there is for running beetles around here if you go to a car show. There is one stock, very clean one that some guy daily drives where I work. Was one clean stock one at the last car show, I started talking to the guy and he's planning on slamming it on the ground, giving it a patina and rush paint job and some other stupid poo poo. I offered to buy it on the spot for what he paid but he wouldn't...poor car :(

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

I just had the most amazing hot dog at a place called Moreno's Mexican Grill in Mesa. I normally don't even like hot dogs, but we were close to this place, and my medic partner said we should stop there before the next call and pick one up. It was life changing. I guess it's called a Sonora-style or Sonoran hot dog? I don't know. All I do know is that it had bacon pieces, was wet and mushy and difficult to eat, and came with a grilled whole pepper.

Sounds loving good. I'm addicted to the hot dogs at Joe's myself but thankfully the super long lines keep me from eating too many.

mafoose posted:

Head down to Tucson sometime and I'll take you to the two (rival) self claimed inventors of the Sonoran dog, and then take you to the chevron gas station that has the best ones (in my opinion).

This also sounds loving good.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I need renter's insurance and I apparently get a good discount through MetLife. Does anyone know anything about them and if they're good/bad?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Edit: nothing to see here

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I really want an ACVW but all of the bodies here are rusted to poo poo. It'd be fun to build a baja bug (whether Subaru engined or not) but it feels wrong to be forced to store a tough, cheap offroad car indoors to keep the weather from eating it.

Import one from mexico. They made them a lot longer down there. The last phase to get built is legal to import now, iirc.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

13 INCH DICK posted:

Showing the GF 'Le Mans' for the first time and she just accused me of having a boner while the Ferraris were going down Mulsanne.

I'm not seeing the problem here....?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

What a cuntmonkey. I really hate it how people intentionally trash stuff for "rat look" or "patina" nonsense.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

goatse guy posted:

I'm back. :unsmith:

I saw a counselor, went to some AA meetings, and went out of town over the weekend to hang out with a friend so I'm feeling pretty good right now.

I almost reached out to you on FB but I figured you left SA for a good reason. I'm glad you are back and feeling better.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Holy gently caress I forgot how much I hate landscaping. I literally used a weed whacker for 9 hours straight. I can't straighten my left arm. I drank over a gallon of water and two big Gatorade bottles. I hope to god I get a real job soon. Got another interview on Thursday.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Tusen Takk posted:

I need renter's insurance and I apparently get a good discount through MetLife. Does anyone know anything about them and if they're good/bad?

My work offers really nice discounts through metlife and 2 other agencies. Metlife was the most expensive by a lot.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Bought it with 21k on it. What a long strange trip its been.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You can find 'em fairly complete (but crashed, or mechanically dead, or something) in the pick-n-pulls here, e.g.:

If you don't mind the later 70s ones.

You could probably take two of them and make one good one, plus whatever Subaru donor you want.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Lamest tornado ever. Seriously... just a boring storm that was over hyped.

Pissed me off all night because the automated systems kept yelling at me about being in a tornado watch while I was trying to work.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Bought it with 21k on it. What a long strange trip its been.

What is it?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Some sorta Pontiac from the gauges

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It looks to me like a grand prix GTP

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Grand Prix GTP if I remember right. If I had found one for a reasonable price before I found my Fit I probably would have bought one. Supercharged 3800 :allears:

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Galler posted:

Grand Prix GTP if I remember right. If I had found one for a reasonable price before I found my Fit I probably would have bought one. Supercharged 3800 :allears:

I test drove and looked at a few GXPs, but the lovely transmission kept me from buying.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Dont know why anyone would choose a Pontiac over the Buick with the same engine. Speed AND Class folks!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
^Its the same drat car but with a different emblem.

Brand engineering!

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

cursedshitbox posted:

^Its the same drat car but with a different emblem.

Brand engineering!

I think the Buick has a way better interior.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Rhyno posted:

I almost reached out to you on FB but I figured you left SA for a good reason. I'm glad you are back and feeling better.

I was surprised and touched with how many people did reach out to me.

I really hosed myself over in my meltdown. I'm going to recover, but I managed to blow a significant chunk of my savings on partying and traveling, did irreversible damage to my liver, and ruined at least a couple of friendships.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

goatse guy posted:

I really hosed myself over in my meltdown. I'm going to recover, but I managed to blow a significant chunk of my savings on partying and traveling, did irreversible damage to my liver, and ruined at least a couple of friendships.

Well hey, you ever want to talk we are FB friends and I know a lot about bad decisions and lost friendships.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Powershift posted:

It looks to me like a grand prix GTP

Bingo! An '04 to be exact. It's been showing its age a bit lately but its still reliable and too much fun to replace just yet. Blown 3800's really are a hoot.

Preoptopus posted:

I think the Buick has a way better interior.

I'd have to disagree. The interior in my brothers Regal GS had even more greasy Tupperware-esque interior plastics than my Pontiac. The Buick had big and mushy seats compared to the relatively firm and bolstered GTP seats too. I think the poncho has a cooler looking gauge cluster too.

Grumbletron 4000 fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 13, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

goatse guy posted:

Been there, done that.. more than once. Frankly, kind of on the verge of a meltdown now, but more for family drama these days.

I'm late to the party, but feel free to hit me up on the bookface; been there, done that with detox, rehab, AA/NA, poor life choices, etc. I'm not the guy you want to introduce your kids to immediately, but I can at least relate to the addiction and depression stuff.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I went back to the gym last night! :unsmith:

And now I've been up all night and can't sleep! :unsmigghh:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Map of countries, shaded by amount of alcohol consumption: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...10-9357860.html

Canada and Australia finally top the US in something.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Of course all the former Soviet states are in the top category.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Fucknag posted:

I went back to the gym last night! :unsmith:

And now I've been up all night and can't sleep! :unsmigghh:

It's been hot as poo poo and I have a bad habit of working out late anyways, lol @ going to sleep before midnight.

I hosed up my hand royally a month ago so I haven't been lifting. Don't gently caress up your hand and shoulder when you're 15 years old, it pays dividends later on. My gains. :smith:

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

meatpimp posted:

Canada and Australia finally top the US in something.

I though Canada always topped the US.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

th vwls hv scpd posted:

I though Canada always topped the US.

Hehe :rimshot:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I still feel like I got hit by a train from working on my big truck Sunday.

I guess that's what pulling 150lbs of manifolds and turbo off, then pulling 300lbs of cylinder heads and carrying them off the truck, then prepping everything and carrying it back up onto the truck will do to you. Oh, and what amounted to 112 reps of curling 100+lbs, there are 28 head studs and the torque spec is everything to 110, everything to 130, everything to 157, then everything to 157 again.

Best part was definitely falling off the truck with a 150lb cylinder head in my hands and having to choose between it and me, though, for sure. I caught my foot on something and ended up twisting around in midair like a cat and flinging the cylinder head into the stack of tires next to me so it wouldn't go straight through my ribcage, then landed sideways in the underbrush. That's the one good thing about working in the woods instead of a shop, that would have hurt a hell of a lot more on cement.

So yeah, this is why I don't have a gym membership.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kastein posted:

:comedy:

See... you should have had a camera going, then you could have made :10bux: on youtube.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So, bought my first ever new car yesterday. It hurt. But the wife is happy, so whatever. 2014 Escape Titanium, 2.0 ecoboost with every option except 19" wheels and sunroof. Sticker was 34, invoice is 30.1, paid 26.8. Salesman hated me.

But on the bright side, got to go fish some farm ponds with my FiL this morning. Funny how much you miss simple things like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

goatse guy posted:

The good news is your liver will regenerate pretty quickly :science: Welcome back

kastein posted:

Truck Stuff
Saw your post on FB, if I was closer I would have drove over purely for the entertainment.

• Locked thread