Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man

StumblyWumbly posted:

Wow, Alias was one of the first omnis Marvel made, is it still worth anything? Time to sell out and get the reprint.

You're a few weeks late. eBay was flooded a few weeks ago when the reprint was (unofficially) announced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Glenn Danzig posted:

You're a few weeks late. eBay was flooded a few weeks ago when the reprint was (unofficially) announced.

But I invested in comics because they can only go up in value!

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
I intend to collect all the X-comics worth grabbing. I'm looking on advice on what my priorities should be for picking things up. Here's a basic list of things I'm gonna get started with, starting from the top down.

Remender Uncanny X-Force
http://amzn.com/0785185712

Claremont Omnibuses vol 1/2
http://amzn.com/0785185690
http://amzn.com/0785185720

Whedon Astonishing part 2 (I already have the first collection. I actually have all of this except the giant-sized ending in floppies.)
http://amzn.com/0785161953

Morrison New Omnibus
http://amzn.com/0785165053

Milligan X-Statix (I know this isn't really related to other X-books but I read it from the library and it was really fun.)
http://amzn.com/0785158448

How long are Marvel omnibuses typically in print? I notice there's only 4 X-Statix in stock. Would this be very hard to find once Amazon is out of copies? Should I hurry to buy X-Force before it's out of print or something?

Outside of those two omnibuses, what else would I need to more or less complete the good Claremont X-men stuff? Will an omnibus volume 3 ever make its way to print?

Am I missing any fun X-books? I'd like to collect in as large chunks as possible, and Hardcover whenever it's available.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mahasamatman posted:

Outside of those two omnibuses, what else would I need to more or less complete the good Claremont X-men stuff? Will an omnibus volume 3 ever make its way to print?

After those two omnibuses, Claremont's run has been mostly collected in various formats.

There is a gap between Uncanny Vol. 2 (ending at #153) and the "Ghosts" TPB (starting at #199); this is probably the biggest gap in the entire run that hasn't been collected anywhere. There will probably be an omnibus collecting at least part of it eventually.

"Ghosts" leads straight into "Mutant Massacre". Its hardcover release has gone out of print but it was published as a paperback edition last year. There's another small gap between this one and "Fall of the Mutants", which might still be available in hardcover, but, again, was reprinted in two paperback volumes last year as well.

There's then a fairly sizeable gap (covering the period when the team were presumed dead and lived in Australia) and the next event is "Inferno", which has only been completely collected in a hardcover which is long out of print and goes for silly prices when they do show up on eBay. It leads directly into the "X-Men by Chris Claremont and Jim Lee" omnibuses (two volumes) which takes you through to the end of Claremont's run on the comic.

Honestly, I think there's a pretty good chance X-Men will be added to the Epic Collection line sooner or later and the gaps will be filled in that way.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Mahasamatman posted:

How long are Marvel omnibuses typically in print? I notice there's only 4 X-Statix in stock. Would this be very hard to find once Amazon is out of copies?

Check Ebay for the X-Statix omni. I got a brand new copy of it for like $30 and the seller had a ton of them at the time (a few months back).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's still in stock at Diamond. Last time they blew them out they were $10.45 a pop so you should have no trouble finding a cheap copy.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I'd imagine there will be a 3rd Claremont X-Men omni, provided the first 2 sold well enough (I've been meaning to pick them both up).

The Wreck
Aug 16, 2004

I think I brained my damage
You can get the Claremont run in the Essential format, but those are softcover, no color, and newsprint. They also have his run on New Mutants and Excalibur as several softcover trades in the Classics line. You can get God Loves, Man Kills in trade, his Wolverine run is in a massive out of print Omnibus or a thousand various trades released over the years, and the Asgardian Wars was released as an Oversize as well. If you're a sadist, you can also track down his X-Treme X-Men run in trades too.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
Courtesy of the Masterworks Messageboard and the latest Hachette Catalogue here's the omnibuses for the rest of the year.

DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER OMNIBUS HC SLIPCASE

OZ OMNIBUS HC

DEADPOOL & CABLE OMNIBUS HC

ALIAS OMNIBUS HC (NEW PRINTING)

MARVEL 75TH ANNIVERSARY OMNIBUS HC (Looks like a "Best of Marvel" type deal)

FANTASTIC FOUR BY JONATHAN HICKMAN OMNIBUS VOL. 2 HC

YOUNG AVENGERS BY KIERON GILLEN & JAMIE MCKELVIE OMNIBUS HC

CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE TRIAL OF CAPTAIN AMERICA OMNIBUS HC (woo hoo, the Bru-Cap Omnibus line isn't dead after all)

Link: http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/HomePage.aspx?pubOrgID=TW&folderID=1679&depth=1 (Sept - Dec 2014 listing, click the pdf icon for the full list. for some reason the main link doesn't list everything)

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That's all great, and faster than I expected for FF v2.

I don't know why they can't loving get Ultimate Spider-Man v2 out the drat door, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Definitely gonna snag F4 and might grab Oz, also.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shameless posted:

DEADPOOL & CABLE OMNIBUS HC

Cool, I've heard this is a pretty good series but the ultimate collection trades look to be out of print.

quote:

MARVEL 75TH ANNIVERSARY OMNIBUS HC (Looks like a "Best of Marvel" type deal)

Yeah, its contents are fan-voted. I think it's meant to include Marvel's all-time best single issues.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Metal Loaf posted:

Cool, I've heard this is a pretty good series but the ultimate collection trades look to be out of print.

Yeah, its contents are fan-voted. I think it's meant to include Marvel's all-time best single issues.

Everyone should vote for every issue of ROM and make them buy the rights back

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Shameless posted:

FANTASTIC FOUR BY JONATHAN HICKMAN OMNIBUS VOL. 2 HC
Awesome!

Shameless posted:

YOUNG AVENGERS BY KIERON GILLEN & JAMIE MCKELVIE OMNIBUS HC

Really? There are like three tiny trades. I don't see how this warrants more than an OSHC.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Senor Candle posted:

Really? There are like three tiny trades. I don't see how this warrants more than an OSHC.

I think it's one of those cases where they'll call it an Omnibus just because it collects the entire run and not because of the size of the book (like Devil Dinosaur, Eternals and Aaron's Ghost Rider.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They certainly seem to be going all out with the Epic Collections as well.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Metal Loaf posted:

They certainly seem to be going all out with the Epic Collections as well.

Surprised they're hitting all the volume 1's so early into the life of the range though as that's the stuff that's been collected plenty of times already. I'd rather they concentrated on the stuff that hasn't been reprinted but whatyagonnado?

I believe that they are doing the vol 1s at two a month instead of one, so that's not too bad, they're not taking up too many release slots.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shameless posted:

Everyone should vote for every issue of ROM and make them buy the rights back

It's so unlikely because Hasbro is in bed with IDW. Chris Ryall has been trying to sort out the ROM rights for years so they can pursue a new series and reprint the originals.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Shameless posted:

Surprised they're hitting all the volume 1's so early into the life of the range though as that's the stuff that's been collected plenty of times already. I'd rather they concentrated on the stuff that hasn't been reprinted but whatyagonnado?

I believe that they are doing the vol 1s at two a month instead of one, so that's not too bad, they're not taking up too many release slots.

I think the Vol. 1's are being released to celebrate the 75th anniversary of Marvel.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Rhyno posted:

It's so unlikely because Hasbro is in bed with IDW. Chris Ryall has been trying to sort out the ROM rights for years so they can pursue a new series and reprint the originals.

Surely that's never gonna happen given the amount of stuff in the Rom comics that Marvel still owns, like the Dire Wraiths and all that. It's not like it was as segregated as stuff like G.I. Joe or Transformers, it was pretty much full on Marvel Universe

TheManWithNoName posted:

I think the Vol. 1's are being released to celebrate the 75th anniversary of Marvel.

Ah, that makes sense now

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Marvel owns literally every single character in ROM but Rom. There's no way they're letting anyone else reprint that book.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Gonna end up picking up the Young Avengers Omni, but more importantly, I am so picking up the THOR: GOD OF THUNDER Vol. 1 OSHC. Just what I've been waiting/hoping for! :swoon:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Karma Tornado posted:

Marvel owns literally every single character in ROM but Rom. There's no way they're letting anyone else reprint that book.

And they can't reprint any of it without Rom himself. Ryall's been trying to get Marvel to license them the material just for reprints but they told him no way. He used to be very active on the CBIA and ComicsPRO forums talking about "what a oval office David Gabriel is" because of it.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Rhyno posted:

And they can't reprint any of it without Rom himself. Ryall's been trying to get Marvel to license them the material just for reprints but they told him no way. He used to be very active on the CBIA and ComicsPRO forums talking about "what a oval office David Gabriel is" because of it.

I still think Ryall is vastly overestimating the appeal of Rom without all that sweet Mantlo all over it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Karma Tornado posted:

I still think Ryall is vastly overestimating the appeal of Rom without all that sweet Mantlo all over it.

He's a big Rom fan and thinks he's the right guy to do a modern take. Sadly he's a terrible writer and hopefully never gets the chance to do it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I'm so glad the Gillen/McKelvie Young Avengers is getting an OSHC/Omni edition. Any idea when it's going to drop?

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

I'm so glad the Gillen/McKelvie Young Avengers is getting an OSHC/Omni edition. Any idea when it's going to drop?

The catalogue says December

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
So I saw Vol. 1 of Fraction's Defenders used today and was going to grab it because it was cheap, but wait, Marvel removed all of the bottom-of-the-page text lines for the trade?!! (you know, the "Everyone you love dies", "Fight to save everything" stuff.) Put it back on the shelf and never looked back. :argh:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've just got an e-mail telling me that the JSA omnibus I pre-ordered a while back has been dispatched. I don't own any other DC omniboo, so how do they tend to be in comparison to the Marvel releases?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Never mind, I'm about to find out. This arrived this morning:

This thing's pretty big. I think it might have leap-frogged both Fantastic Four by John Byrne volumes in the running for the "most likely to threaten the structural integrity of my bookshelves" prize:

Here's a side by side comparison with my next-largest books:

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
I should buy an omnibus.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Metal Loaf posted:

Here's a side by side comparison with my next-largest books:

Goddamn.

Someone actually cared about Sliders past Season 2.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Also sort-of visible in that picture are all four Highlander sequels and the second and third seasons of seaQuest.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Sundowner posted:

I should buy an omnibus.

It's a great way to read fancy comics and get a huge bicep.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Loaf posted:

Also sort-of visible in that picture are all four Highlander sequels and the second and third seasons of seaQuest.

You have failed this thread.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I actually really liked seaQuest 2032. It's too bad they didn't get a full season.

Barristicide
Sep 2, 2012
So I've decided its time to check out Madman, but it's been published by so many companies over the years that I'm not sure where to start. I'm looking for as complete a set as I can manage in as few books as possible. Any suggestions where to start?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Barristicide posted:

So I've decided its time to check out Madman, but it's been published by so many companies over the years that I'm not sure where to start. I'm looking for as complete a set as I can manage in as few books as possible. Any suggestions where to start?

Its easy the trades are

Madman Vol. 1 This one http://www.amazon.com/Madman-Volume-1-v/dp/1582408106/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1400262052&sr=8-2&keywords=madman
Madman Vol. 2
Madman Vol. 3
Madman and the Atomics Vol. 1
Madman Atomic Comics Volume 1
Madman Atomic Comics Volume 2
Madman Atomic Comics Volume 3
The Superman/Madman Hullabaloo!
Madman Boogaloo!
Red Rocket 7
The Atomics: Spaced Out and Grounded in Snap City
Madman 20th Anniversary Monster

If you want Hardcovers the

Madman Gargantua
Madman Atomica
The Atomics
Madman 20th Anniversary Monster
Plus
The Superman/Madman Hullabaloo!
Madman Boogaloo!
Red Rocket 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barristicide
Sep 2, 2012
Thanks, Bobkatt! I guess I got a bit intimidated by the different publishers and different title names. Much appreciated!