Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Looks trustworthy, I'm sure he'll take of it. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Phone posted:

Hey guys, just swinging by to tell you that it's hard to fix systematic abuses by institutions against individuals and an entire generation of Americans.

But they dressed like they were asking for it and it's easier to blame them, so

The gall of my generation for establishing an identity and style based on our shared experiences!

But you are effectively right about it being hard to fix systematic abuses, but I'll be loving dead before I stop fighting against it.

Chokes McGee posted:

Looks trustworthy, I'm sure he'll take of it. :downs:

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Amergin posted:

I 1) did some cursory research to see which job markets were doing well and which paid the best in terms of entry-level positions, 2) went to a college the offered to pay my full tuition after busting my rear end in high school, over many other colleges that I would have preferred, 3) worked summer internships every year while in college at local companies, and 4) switched majors from Comp Sci to Psych with 1.5 semesters left as Comp Sci wasn't teaching me anything useful and, through my internships, I already had a guaranteed entry-level position waiting for me upon graduation.

This isn't to toot my own horn, I'm just saying that busting my rear end in high school and doing some research on job markets really helped me out in choosing a college route. This SHOULD have been provided for me via a high school counselor but unfortunately ours were overwhelmed and thus not very reachable or useful.

Now I still took out loans to pay for living expenses, but had I lived at home I wouldn't have even needed that. I'm thousands of dollars in debt, paying it off at a steady clip and have no complaints because I understand MY decisions lead me to debt, but they also helped me secure my employment after school. Hell I could have done two years at a community college and transferred for even less debt.

All I'm saying is there are options available. In many cases the cards are so stacked against you that you can't really be blamed, sure. In many other cases it's due to laziness or a lack of wanting to research other options. I'm not accusing those in this thread of either one, I just wanted to know more context.

I did research into the job market, did my first two years at community college to save money, switched out of a STEM major to a more rare STEM major and went to the one of the few schools in the country that offers it, worked 40 hour weeks while still going to classes full time, took on 10's of thousands of dollars in debt, did internships, got high grades and a good paying job out of school which allows me to pay down my debt comfortably.

I still got waaaaaaay lucky.

You got lucky. You did hard work and made good with the position you were handed, sure.

It's wonderful that you take responsibility for your debt, but the idea that you should have to go into big debt for something that's essentially required for a decent paying job is wrongheaded.

You're talking about personal solutions for societal problems, just like many others have in many other threads.

The problem of student debt is not a personal problem. It is a societal problem. Personal responsibility-'splaining miss the point.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
I majored in English and the last few pages of this thread make me wish that literacy had never been invented.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Swan Oat posted:

I majored in English and the last few pages of this thread make me wish that literacy had never been invented.

Literacy wasn't invented, writing was invented.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Zeitgueist posted:

I did research into the job market, did my first two years at community college to save money, switched out of a STEM major to a more rare STEM major and went to the one of the few schools in the country that offers it, worked 40 hour weeks while still going to classes full time, took on 10's of thousands of dollars in debt, did internships, got high grades and a good paying job out of school which allows me to pay down my debt comfortably.

I still got waaaaaaay lucky.

You got lucky. You did hard work and made good with the position you were handed, sure.

It's wonderful that you take responsibility for your debt, but the idea that you should have to go into big debt for something that's essentially required for a decent paying job is wrongheaded.

You're talking about personal solutions for societal problems, just like many others have in many other threads.

The problem of student debt is not a personal problem. It is a societal problem. Personal responsibility-'splaining miss the point.

Exactly, I agree entirely (and I know I got lucky).

My point is, instead of tackling student debt as the problem, why not tackle mis-/a lack of information and guidance for students in high school as the cause of that high debt (couple with trying to get universities to cut down costs). And if we try to focus on other options (trades, apprenticeships, alternative education to college/BA degree+) then maybe the job market wouldn't have such a hardon for making a four year degree required for picking your nose.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

A less educated populace isn't good for anyone.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Amergin posted:

My point is, instead of tackling student debt as the problem, why not tackle mis-/a lack of information and guidance for students in high school as the cause of that high debt (couple with trying to get universities to cut down costs). And if we try to focus on other options (trades, apprenticeships, alternative education to college/BA degree+) then maybe the job market wouldn't have such a hardon for making a four year degree required for picking your nose.

A lot of it, I think, is just deeply ingrained in US culture. There's massive pressure to get done with college, get married, buy a house, have a family and be basically set and done by the time you are 30. I have no idea how you do this, but until we become OK with allowing people time to experiment, try new things, and make it easy for them to do that (debt is a huge issue here, because if you want to change careers and that requires any kind of new education, it's a huge trigger to pull) we aren't getting at the real problems we've been talking about the last few pages.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

socialsecurity posted:

While an indebted populace IS good for SOME people, at least, eh?

I mean I agree with you but the current situation is a racket.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Currently writing a letter to Jackie Walorski... I pretty much know how that's going to turn out, but I'll feel much better voting against her if she pisses me off so :shrug:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

socialsecurity posted:

But then who will be poor and homeless?

I'm convinced that a lot of Americans NEED someone to be poor and homeless.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Communications majors.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Swan Oat posted:

Do keep in mind SA membership is international, and not everyone is a native English speaker.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

lothar_ posted:

Or put another way...

So basically

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm convinced that a lot of Americans NEED someone to be poor and homeless.
Well I think there's research that indicates that people prefer to have less in absolute terms, if it means they have more in relative terms. I read a study to that effect, at least, and it used multiple metrics (would you rather have $50k/year, or a 3000 sq ft apartment, when the average is $75k/4000sqft, or $30k/2000 square feet when the average is $20k/1000sq ft; that kind of thing).

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Amergin posted:

The job market has changed and a four year degree is going to be required for pretty much everything from now on. And the problem is the lack of funding for higher education, not how much the universities are spending.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Amergin posted:

Because to me, the idea of "solving the student loan issue" can easily be coupled with "make college education 'free'" (Scandinavia!) which is only going to discourage people from trades more, or at the very least waste their time for four years before they consider going into a trade.

No, you just make the free schools hard to get into, so anyone who wastes their time in high school gets a rejection letter instead of a 4-year detour before real adult life.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Amergin posted:

Because mis/lack of info is not the problem. Universities aren't going to cut costs because they're trying to make money. You're not going to guide people to the "right" majors because there isn't a right major. There's just ones that that happen to be hiring 4-5 years after you went to school, which is never going to be the answer for millions of people and is notoroiously hard to predict. That is why I said you got lucky.

And the whole "just do a trade" thing is also a pipe dream. There aren't enough jobs in trades.

Once again, you're trying to talk about personal solutions to a societal problem. You've widened your scope a bit to "guidance counseling" instead of "make the right major choice", but you're still far too narrowly focused.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

socialsecurity posted:

Who says that a 22 year old with a BA in English is less educated than a 22 year old tradesperson with 4-6 years of experience?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SedanChair posted:

Who says that a 22 year old with a BA in English is less educated than a 22 year old tradesperson with 4-6 years of experience?

If it is a proper liberal arts program, the 22 year old with a BA in English will have more education than a 22 year old tradesperson who has only studied his limited field.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

SedanChair posted:

Me, THE ARBITER OF ASSIGNING AND ASSUMING INTELLIGENCE BASED ON ANECDOTES.

Anyways, pick up this can, citizen.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Erm, I don't think "education" is a quantifiable metric.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Stultus Maximus posted:

If it is a proper liberal arts program, the 22 year old with a BA in English will have more education than a 22 year old tradesperson who has only studied his limited field.

How classist.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Would anyone object to me posting a bit of what I wrote to my congressional rep?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Can we go back to alcoholchat instead of circular arguments about who's more lower class?

e: No, please, for the love of God, post it.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

zoux posted:

Erm, I don't think "education" is a quantifiable metric.

Theoretically it should be possible. I think we can all agree that a communications major is the zero point, so then we just need to build the scale up from there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spiffster posted:

Would anyone object to me posting a bit of what I wrote to my congressional rep?

Sure, but unless it includes the words "here is a sizable donation to your reelection campaign" it's going to get glanced at by a staffer and "filed away".

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SedanChair posted:

How classist.

It's classist to say that someone who has been educated in science, math, language, history, fine arts, and government has had more education than someone who has been educated in, for example, building roofs?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's classist to say that someone who has been educated in science, math, language, history, fine arts, and government has had more education than someone who has been educated in, for example, building roofs?

Yep. Because the tone of your statement implies that one sort of knowledge is better than another sort of knowledge. Grats on your very well received exegesis on Proust but that ain't going to stop a leak in your roof. The denigration of labor by the ivory-tower class of progressives creates a schism we don't need.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Why? How is education in six different areas not "more education" than education in one area?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

Why? How is education in six different areas not "more education" than education in one area?

Depends on how you define education. If it's just hours taken or degrees received, then yes, they have more education and I guess they can put that on a button and wear it around. If you include anything that values practical applications of knowledge, then it becomes murkier. Does focus matter? If I take 100 hours of chemistry am I more or less educated than someone with a general studies degree of 100 hours?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Spiffster posted:

Anything to get away from degreechat.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I work for a public university. Annual tuition at this school was $318 a year when my parents graduated HS in 1972. This fall our tuition and fees will come to just short of $6,000 - an increase of 1800%.

Tied to inflation, our tuition should be $1800 annually this fall. Our costs have, on average, increased at four times the rate of inflation.

We are currently nationally ranked for affordability.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Sure, but unless it includes the words "here is a sizable donation to your reelection campaign" it's going to get glanced at by a staffer and "filed away".

I've been surprised before. My father has actually hosted state representatives before, but considering that was years before the Tea Party and the death of compromise, You are most likely right.

A letter posted:

Thanks in advance for your time Congresswoman.

As a representative of Indiana's 2nd District, you are well aware of all the great schools and colleges that we have to offer to all of our citizens. From Notre Dame to IUSB, education has a strong presence in the hearts and minds of it's constituents. However ,when it comes how we treat those seeking higher education, it's becoming increasingly difficult for people to escape enormous burdens of debt. Student loan debt has increased to unprecedented levels, on average reaching 30,000 dollars per student. It's not unheard of that some debt will even reach levels of 100,000 dollars and even with this, there is no guarantees for work in the future. This trend is unsustainable and it's going to cause severe problems in the future of our great nation.

Other countries in the world seem to have grasped the fact that if we truly want to have a better workforce and overall way of life, education spending needs to be a focus. In a country as blessed as ours, it pains me to see that the first thing on the chopping block for budget cuts every time is the future of our best and brightest. As a representative that came into power thanks to the tea party I know the thought of new taxes is a non starter, but with as much money as we take in, there has to be a way to divert spending from areas to bolster our future. With education spending in the budget being only a tenth of the overall representation of the budget while defense spending is continually increasing despite objections from those inside the military, there has to be some way to do something to help our overburdened education system.

As someone who believes that the United States is the best country in the world, Shouldn't we focus on making sure our citizens can have reliable access to higher education without the worry of being completely swamped with debt for the majority of their adult lives? Shouldn't we be striving to help prepare for the next big thing? How you respond will have a huge impact on me coming this November. Please consider your options and look for a brighter future..

As you can see I'm pretty much guaranteed to be blown off but at least I tried right?

Edit: I suck at first drafts... lets fix this crap

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 13, 2014

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

zoux posted:

Depends on how you define education. If it's just hours taken or degrees received, then yes, they have more education and I guess they can put that on a button and wear it around. If you include anything that values practical applications of knowledge, then it becomes murkier. Does focus matter? If I take 100 hours of chemistry am I more or less educated than someone with a general studies degree of 100 hours?

Someone who has taken science, math, history, and art is better equipped to make decisions in a democracy than someone who has never poked their head out of a laboratory so I'd say less. Specialization is the enemy of education.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nessus posted:

Well I think there's research that indicates that people prefer to have less in absolute terms, if it means they have more in relative terms. I read a study to that effect, at least, and it used multiple metrics (would you rather have $50k/year, or a 3000 sq ft apartment, when the average is $75k/4000sqft, or $30k/2000 square feet when the average is $20k/1000sq ft; that kind of thing).

I've always thought this was an interesting study, but at the same time it's also just asking "do you want to be above average or below average"? Which I think carries more consequences to it than simply trying to figure out if people want to have more stuff than their neighbors. Is the average what is necessary to get by and not risk serious financial troubles or possible bankruptcy? In which case you should take the $30k a year because then no one is in danger of getting thrown out on the street. In that case taking the $50k a year is jumping on a grenade for no reason. Even if you said "$20k a year is the bare minimum" I can understand hesitation to take the $50k offer because if the cost of living ever goes up it won't be an issue to most people until you've long since been run over.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

Someone who has taken science, math, history, and art is better equipped to make decisions in a democracy than someone who has never poked their head out of a laboratory so I'd say less. Specialization is the enemy of education.
Aha! I think I've found the problem.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Electricians probably have a stricter math requirement than an english major.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
Isn't the whole "Well maybe those rabble should just do trades while the aristocracy and those who we deem to be gifted get traditional university educations" argument the real classist one? Also assuming people made this argument got their way and 90% of people going to higher education did trades instead, wouldn't this kind of massively increase the labor supply of said trades and depress wages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Spiffster posted:

I've been surprised before. My father has actually hosted state representatives before, but considering that was years before the Tea Party and the death of compromise, You are most likely right.

As you can see I'm pretty much guaranteed to be blown off but at least I tried right?
Please tell me you didn't actually sent it off with "College's" in there.

Unless you're being meta about education :buddy:

e: also "its" it's is a contraction for it is. And I don't have a college education :v:

• Locked thread