Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

korusan posted:

I hope that the ORAS remake gives us cinematics that live up to some of the scene art from RSE, which I think were the last games to have this kind of art of things that don't happen in the game:

If you want to talk about art that will never get used, let's talk about Pokemon Special and Wally's insane Ozone Suit that will never be in anything else ever:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

chaos rhames posted:

The narrative of black/white 2 is an insane mess of things just happening. XY is a lot more solid.

Really? I currently have 5 badges and Team red shirt is running around doing nothing, Lysandre is totally not evil, my "friends" aren't doing anything and I have no idea what's happening beyond me traveling through the region. Also legendary pokemon/machine somewhere. If anything I'm currently of the persuasion that X/Y has the weakest story of the games. As much as I disliked Hugh, the story really revolved around him. If anything, he was Goku with a heart disease and we were Vegeta bailing him out during the climax.
At least the evil team has more diversion in their teams.

Nessa posted:

I would recommend Platinum, HG/SS and Black/White 2.

HG/SS has following pokemon and it's super cute. Black and White 2 have a solid pokemon selection, a pokemon movie studio, a world tournament and a little mall that you can build up to get a bunch of items and stuff. I also really like the Unova gym leaders.

In Plat and HG/SS, TMs are one use only, so be careful when using them.

In all those games, the exp. share is just a hold item that you can put on one pokemon. They changed it a lot in XY.
Why would you say the bolded part? It could've been great, but it was horrible and slow. Without WIFI connection the join avenue is useless.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

.TakaM posted:

I just sheer cold'd 3 times in a row with team Lapras, naturally my opponent disconnected.
Just today I was thinking about trying a zoom lens Torkoal with Iron Defense / Amnesia / Rest / Fissure. Torkoal has really good defensive stats, and white smoke prevents those defense stat raises from being lowered. In reality he'd probably get get taunted/heal blocked or dragon tail/roared out or they just switch in and stat boost their pokemon to the max then kill him. But hey, at least in the latter case the odds are in your favor of fissure KOing the pokemon first. :v:

How does hone claws' accuracy buff work on fissure anyways? Once I ran into an excadrill that honed claws and then got 2 KO's on me in a row. Can zoom lens + 1 hone claws stack to buff fissure to 50%+ accuracy or was the guy just lucky?

Octag
Sep 16, 2012
OHKO moves are completely unaffected by accuracy and evasion modifiers. Zoom Lens and Hone Claws have no effect.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

They are however affected by No Guard...

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

For the record it was Ferrothorn, Breloom, and Blissey that got the back to back sheer cold treatment.
I'm glad you can't affect the accuracy of OHKOs because it would get exploited to its maximum potential, plus it goes the other way and I don't care how many times your Blissey uses minimize.

However, you can get a Lapras to have Sheer Cold, Fissure, and Horn Drill for 3 times the tears

edit-
no guard :monocle:

I suppose mind reader would work too if they don't switch out?

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 13, 2014

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Free Pokemon game? Just for Japan obviously.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

.TakaM posted:

For the record it was Ferrothorn, Breloom, and Blissey that got the back to back sheer cold treatment.
I'm glad you can't affect the accuracy of OHKOs because it would get exploited to its maximum potential, plus it goes the other way and I don't care how many times your Blissey uses minimize.

However, you can get a Lapras to have Sheer Cold, Fissure, and Horn Drill for 3 times the tears

edit-
no guard :monocle:

I suppose mind reader would work too if they don't switch out?

It does.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
Finally finished filling the pokedex. Quite happy about that but it's left me with a dearth of things to do. I was thinking about maybe building up competitive versions of my favourites with good IVs, natures, abilities etc. My 6 favourite pokemon are probably Ferrothorn, Spiritomb, Yanmega, Granbull, Crobat and Krookodile. Anybody have any insight into whether a good team can be made out of these guys? Competitive battling is kind of overwhelming at the moment.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Darth TNT posted:

Why would you say the bolded part? It could've been great, but it was horrible and slow. Without WIFI connection the join avenue is useless.

Because a lot of people liked making their Pokemon into movie stars.

I didn't even use wifi or street pass stuff very often, and I was able to build up my Join Avenue just fine.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Speedboat Jones posted:

Anyone tried any Swampert builds for X/Y yet? I'm considering having a bulky water to sit next to a Klefki in Battle Maison doubles, and I'm wondering what my options are. I love Swampert, but I've never put any effort into fully training a specific build of one!

My current build is this
Impish 6IV Swampert w/ Leftovers
HP Fully trained
Attack and defense split
Rest/Sleep Talk/ Earthquake/ Avalanche

She's held up pretty drat well and her main fear is Grass (big shock I know :monocle: )

In doubles she teams up with my Togekiss blimp of doom and they just tear the house down.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Serebii.net made a good chart of all the Pokemon services shutting down next week.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Nessa posted:

Because a lot of people liked making their Pokemon into movie stars.

I didn't even use wifi or street pass stuff very often, and I was able to build up my Join Avenue just fine.

It's more difficult to build up Join Avenue now that the Dream World has gone away. But it's still possible. You get NPCs visiting every day. I'm not sure what determines how many you get, but I think it increases when you complete the main quest and increases some more for reaching milestones in the various side activities available in the game. For example, I get 10 or so every day, usually including a Gym Leader.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Dehry posted:

Serebii.net made a good chart of all the Pokemon services shutting down next week.

So what does this mean for the pokemon banking services and moving pokemon from older gens to X/Y? Will that change at all?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Bank's unaffected since its newer. Local transferring still functions as well (ie, Pal Park and the like).

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is there anything I should do before the disconnect? I guess there's probably some event pokemon I should spoof?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Bank transfers totally in a 3DS application. The Pokemon shutdown is anything DS or Wii related online since Gamespy (yes that one) is shutting down and everything Nintendo Wifi Connection related uses it.

Khanstant posted:

Is there anything I should do before the disconnect? I guess there's probably some event pokemon I should spoof?

As far as I know, the DNS thing should still work, since it's going to an unofficial server. All the events ended ages ago, so there isn't really anything left. It just means no more online battles and whatever is left with the GTS.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Pokecheck stuff isn't gonna work anymore on Gen IV and V games because they still use Nintendo's servers for authentication before being pushed off to their own servers.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

ChaosArgate posted:

Pokecheck stuff isn't gonna work anymore on Gen IV and V games because they still use Nintendo's servers for authentication before being pushed off to their own servers.

To elaborate, none of the dns spoofs will work (irgts, pokegts) for the exact same reason. Transfers of any kind that are not local over ir or contained within the system (palpark) prior to gen 6 games will not work.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Dehry posted:

Bank transfers totally in a 3DS application. The Pokemon shutdown is anything DS or Wii related online since Gamespy (yes that one) is shutting down and everything Nintendo Wifi Connection related uses it.

As far as I know, the DNS thing should still work, since it's going to an unofficial server. All the events ended ages ago, so there isn't really anything left. It just means no more online battles and whatever is left with the GTS.

I went back to the GTS in my Gen 5 games a few weeks ago just to make sure I didn't still have any mons stored on there, and I was reminded of just how much it's improved this gen. It would be painful to have to go back to a gen-5-style GTS at this point.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Aww, so pokecheck stuff is basically forever ended? :( No shinies for me ever again. How long ago did Silver come out? They're supposedly more common than ever but I still don't believe they're real naturally.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
So you've probably seen that image where the Aqua and Magma-emblems contain the Alpha- and Omega-letter respectively, but I recently noticed that Kyogre and Groudon have the symbol on their Mega-forme as well.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ChaosArgate posted:

Legit Event Pokémon have already been brought into gen 6. So important stuff was not lost.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

horriblePencilist posted:

So you've probably seen that image where the Aqua and Magma-emblems contain the Alpha- and Omega-letter respectively, but I recently noticed that Kyogre and Groudon have the symbol on their Mega-forme as well.

So, the new forms could be, say, artificially created Megas? Like, somehow, Teams Aqua and Magma came up with fake mega stones to boost their respective Lendaries like Ghetis did for Kyurem's fused forms?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Geostomp posted:

So, the new forms could be, say, artificially created Megas? Like, somehow, Teams Aqua and Magma came up with fake mega stones to boost their respective Lendaries like Ghetis did for Kyurem's fused forms?

Do we know what a "non-fake" mega stone is? I always assumed the stones themselves were artificial, man-made items.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Geostomp posted:

Why bother with making fake stones when they could retroactively turn the Blue and Red orbs into mega stones?

Edit: To clarify, I mean have the teams use the orbs as mega stones even though they're not.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I just remembered that in the orginal R/S that you got the Red/Blue Orb depending on what version you where playing from Mt. Pyre (think that was its name, the graveyard mountain thing) and you get the Red Orb in Sapphire and vice verse for Ruby.

Who is willing to bet that the orbs in the remakes are the mega stones, and for added fun you get Groundon's Mega Stone in AlphaSapphire and vice versa.

Edit:FB

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Countblanc posted:

Do we know what a "non-fake" mega stone is? I always assumed the stones themselves were artificial, man-made items.

I guess we really don't know enough about the stones' backstory to say where they come from. I guess they'd have to be either artificial or at least possible to replicate since Metwo has two and it can't have existed for more than a decade or two in-game.

I doubt Gamefreak really bothered to come up with any lore for these stones beyond "Lookit, new things and friendship!!", but it would make for a nice addition to the Gen III storyline.

^^^Edit: That sounds good. It'd also let us use the Orbs for something this time. It'd even be easy to justify since mega stones are useless without one on the trainer to activate them.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 13, 2014

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
The Red/Blue Orbs will now obviously be for Trainer Mega-Evolution:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I think the answer to this is going to be "no", but is there any way to "put to bed" BW1, in the sense that you can save the game having prepared White Forest or Black City in such a way that none of the named NPCs there will leave over time (even if the next time you play is after many months)?

I know that you could keep a record of the date you played and reset the DS's clock to just after that date, but I'm not really willing to do that.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Countblanc posted:

In X, when you get the 'find Megastones between 8 and 9 PM' stupid bullshit, Sycamore says that he thinks the Megastones are basically crystallized chunks of the life energy that Arceus radiates everywhere that got made during the cataclysm 3000 years ago.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Aerodactyl's mega is said to be what Aerodactyl looked like before fossilization, but that's just an in universe rumour.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Dehry posted:

I'm a little miffed about the timing of this whole thing. I bought a DS and B/W2 before going on a long trip as it was the latest pokemon game (since XY had yet to be released.) Now not even a year later they are shutting down the wi-fi services for that game. I'm still playing B/W2 and it's pretty lovely. :argh:

Now I'm wary of getting XY, what if they wait 3 years and shut down wi-fi services for that as well? :ohdear: Maybe I'll just wait for the hoenn remake to come out.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Sanctum posted:

I'm a little miffed about the timing of this whole thing. I bought a DS and B/W2 before going on a long trip as it was the latest pokemon game (since XY had yet to be released.) Now not even a year later they are shutting down the wi-fi services for that game. I'm still playing B/W2 and it's pretty lovely. :argh:

Now I'm wary of getting XY, what if they wait 3 years and shut down wi-fi services for that as well? :ohdear: Maybe I'll just wait for the hoenn remake to come out.

They'd shut down wifi for XY and AS/OR at the same time, like how they're shutting down wifi for all the DS games at the same time.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Complexcalibur posted:

Speaking of teams, I'm trying to figure out some way, any way, to get Mega Abomasnow on a singles team without it being a Trick Room team. He's one of my favorite Mega Pokemon design-wise

I don't understand Mega Abomasnow's design. With most Megas you can tell what they were inspired by or what they're based on (e.g. Mega Lucario is a primeval warrior, Mega Manectric is a living thunderbolt, Mega Alakazam is an Indian swami, Mega Heracross is a Hercules stag beetle, Mega Medicham is a Hindu priest, etc.), but Megaboma I just can't figure out. Do those three ice spikes on its back signify anything for instance, or are they just there to look cool? That's fine too, but I'd like it if they had some kind of function, like Mega Blastoise's huge cannon or Mega Pinsir's outrageous/awesome wing contraption. Does anybody have any ideas regarding Megaboma?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It's also using Nintendo's own servers rather than Gamespy's. It wasn't Nintendo's choice to shut them down, they are just not choosing to rehost them since it would be too much trouble in the case of some games.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I haven't even played BW2 yet, stupid Gamespy. Or rather stupid Nintendo, Gamespy?? Really??

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Khanstant posted:

I haven't even played BW2 yet, stupid Gamespy. Or rather stupid Nintendo, Gamespy?? Really??

Or stupid you for waiting years and years instead of just playing the game. No offense.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Trumpets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!

korusan posted:

So this just got dumped. Pumped for RS remade music!

How dumb to make an in game song no one will hear outside of youtube

Stalgren fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 13, 2014

• Locked thread