Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Ultigonio posted:

e; Looking at the new icon on my home screen, I'm really hoping they eventually add folders to the Wii U OS. I was so pumped when the 3DS got folders because I had VC icons all over the place from the ambassador program, and I like organizing things and making them pretty.

Nintendo really needs to make all their OSes have the same basic features. The 3DS has got folders while the Wii U doesn't, the Wii U uses NNIDs while the 3DS is still stuck with Friend Codes (and also NNIDs for some stuff), the Wii U virtual console games let you remap controls, but the 3DS ones don't... It's kind of a mess of good features split between the two platforms when they should both have all this stuff. (I understand that the Friend Code thing probably isn't something they could really change this late in a platform's life, though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

If I recall correctly, they have addressed the disparity between their consoles. They have said that they aim to make the home console and handheld more like "brothers". Whether or not that goal will be fully realized within the lifetime of the 3ds and Wii U has yet to be seen, but they have been working on it with NNIDs, Miiverse on 3ds and eshop account unification.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The system architectures are not really that compatible, but for their next batch they've stated making them very compatible and scalable is a key goal for them.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'm about to start Metroid Prime Trilogy. I played 1 back when it first came out but gave up. Anything I should know other then SCAN EVERYTHING?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'm about to start Metroid Prime Trilogy. I played 1 back when it first came out but gave up. Anything I should know other then SCAN EVERYTHING?

Turn the pointer sensitivity up. The default setting is sluggish.

edit: vvv this too

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 14, 2014

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

SeANMcBAY posted:

Don't listen to the haters. Prime 2 is awesome. :colbert:

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

SeANMcBAY posted:

When you get to prime 2, don't be afraid to use your beam ammo. When you get to prime 3, don't be afraid to use hypermode. Enemies near the end are bullet sponges if you don't use it. Oh yeah and seeker missiles rule.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

SeANMcBAY posted:

Missiles and Wave Beam have homing properties that are very noticeable in Prime 1. It makes combat around corners awesome and really cool looking.

Also, once you get bombs you can shack the nunchuk in Morph Ball to use Spring Ball.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

Make sure to play any games you feel ambivalent about first, because Prime 1 is loving amazing and will ruin other, lesser games for you.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Gaffle posted:

When you get to prime 2, don't be afraid to use your beam ammo.

To expand on this, killing things (or crates) with one type of ammo will make the opposite ammo spawn. I think the game tells you this, but it's easy to gloss over and it's critically important.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Huh. I just found out that Trackmania for the Wii has free DLC. It's very likely that this is going to go away with the Nintendo Wi-Fi service so if you have a copy then you might want to download those tracks from the mulitplayer menu before they're gone.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Thanks, guys. I plan on playing all three in order. I normally don't like motion controls but there's no way I'm going back to the single stick FPS controls in 1 and 2.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
UK dudes, HMV is apparently selling the Wind Waker/Lego City console bundles for 149GBP right now.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Gaffle posted:

If I recall correctly, they have addressed the disparity between their consoles. They have said that they aim to make the home console and handheld more like "brothers". Whether or not that goal will be fully realized within the lifetime of the 3ds and Wii U has yet to be seen, but they have been working on it with NNIDs, Miiverse on 3ds and eshop account unification.

The larger of the brothers is going to get the short end of the stick I bet, as the history of Nintendo has shown. There will always be a second player.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

The larger of the brothers is going to get the short end of the stick I bet, as the history of Nintendo has shown. There will always be a second player.

But the second player will just hit pause as the first player is jumping over a pit and then it will be their turn again!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Random Stranger posted:

But the second player will just hit pause as the first player is jumping over a pit and then it will be their turn again!

All you have to do is hit select at the game over screen and you will not start back at world 1-1.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Random Stranger posted:

Huh. I just found out that Trackmania for the Wii has free DLC. It's very likely that this is going to go away with the Nintendo Wi-Fi service so if you have a copy then you might want to download those tracks from the mulitplayer menu before they're gone.

Is there a list of Wii games with free DLC stuff somewhere?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Is there a list of Wii games with free DLC stuff somewhere?

This especially poorly written and maintained Wikipedia page has a list of most of the games that use the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service (worst name for an online service ever) for the Wii. Anything with a "D" in the type column has downloadable content of some kind that's accessible through it rather than the Nintendo store. I don't know if anyone else offers free content (the music games that make up the bulk of those games almost definitely do not), but you can check.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Thanks, guys. I plan on playing all three in order. I normally don't like motion controls but there's no way I'm going back to the single stick FPS controls in 1 and 2.
I just finished Prime 2 a couple nights ago. Point of advice: there are sections of the swamp level that will make you want to pull your hair out. Power through them because the third area is amazing.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Chaltab posted:

I just finished Prime 2 a couple nights ago. Point of advice: there are sections of the swamp level that will make you want to pull your hair out. Power through them because the third area is amazing.

Easily the best setpiece in the whole Prime series, although I love literally every single location in Prime 1 (except for the Mines, those are just "pretty cool".)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The Light Suit is also the coolest suit. Prime 2 definitely isn't as good as 1 but it's still fantastic.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Has anyone posted this commercial for Mario Kart 8?

It's like a commercial from the 90s got up and moved to a decade with better graphics.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

Chaltab posted:

It's like a commercial from the 90s got up and moved to a decade with better graphics.

"Insanely tested on Wii U for flippin' fun". Haha, I like it. :D

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'm currently "playing" through Prime 1 as well. (It's on hold while I play some other games, why are there only 24 hours in a day?) I like the motion controls. The Wii pointer rocks for this game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SeANMcBAY posted:

You may feel the urge to belt out the Ghostbusters theme if or when you find the Wavebuster (the hidden Wave Beam missile combo). Do not fight this.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Hows Batman Arkham city (not origins) on the wii u? I'm thinking of picking it up but its only Ł8 so I'm kind of worried that its unplayable.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

MrFlibble posted:

Hows Batman Arkham city (not origins) on the wii u? I'm thinking of picking it up but its only Ł8 so I'm kind of worried that its unplayable.

It's fine. The cheap price is mostly due to 1) being a third party game on a dying console and 2) a port of an old third party game to boot.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

UK dudes, HMV is apparently selling the Wind Waker/Lego City console bundles for 149GBP right now.

Should be noted that this could be a local store thing as well. HMV UK doesn't really have an online store, so this could easily be a case of returned, pre-owned stock rather than country wide - I mean, my local GAME has a Funky Barn + Game Party Champions bundle.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Chaltab posted:

Yeah but the Mario kart theme song is garbage.

It's like a child that has stubs for hands is mashing on a keyboard from the 1980's, why must Nintendo tantalize that child with games he cannot even play?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The Taint Reaper posted:

Yeah but the Mario kart theme song is garbage.

It's like a child that has stubs for hands is mashing on a keyboard from the 1980's, why must Nintendo tantalize that child with games he cannot even play?

I'm sorry your ears don't work quite right.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm sorry your ears don't work quite right.

It just doesn't strike me as good. Especially when you have catchy stuff like the Super Mario Theme, Zelda Theme, Pokémon Theme, and others. I think it even sounds worse than the sonic racing transformed theme.

Yeah they sample the superior Mario Kart 64 theme abit for the Mk8 theme, but whatever that synth sound is, it's awful. Unless the sound of two balloons rubbing together is some form of musical foreshadowing.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 14, 2014

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

The Taint Reaper posted:

It just doesn't strike me as good. Especially when you have catchy stuff like the Super Mario Theme, Zelda Theme, Pokémon Theme, and others. I think it even sounds worse than the sonic racing transformed theme.

Yeah they sample the superior Mario Kart 64 theme abit for the Mk8 theme, but whatever that synth sound is, it's awful. Unless the sound of two balloons rubbing together is some form of musical foreshadowing.

Would it help that the theme for Mario Kart 8 instead is rocking the jazz?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Astro Nut posted:

Would it help that the theme for Mario Kart 8 instead is rocking the jazz?

Why the hell are they using Wii-game music to advertise for a Wii-U game? :nignog:

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Well, the theme in the ad has real instruments in it just like almost every other song in MK8, and unlike anything in MKWii, so....

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nintendo is way into Jazz this generation. It sounds great and is fairly unique to videogames, though I suspect the main reason is jazz orchestras are smaller and therefore less costly than full symphonic orchestras, while giving the around of real instruments that their fans love.

One of the happier side effects of Nintendo's pragmatism.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

MrFlibble posted:

It's a great version, actually. The Gamepad functionality for it is really cool.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
Australians and Kiwis, the MK8 demo is now in a bunch of places, so good for you if you're near one now, I guess.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

That retail location distribution in New Zealand....

Out of 8 New Zealand locations, only 3 are outside of Auckland with only one being south of Tauranga. They could just not be arsed with getting one in the countries capital, nor the entire southern island. I mean, it sort of makes sense population wise, and it's nice that they are even including some of the people who live in the other 90% of the country, but the sooner Nintendo drops this retail location poo poo and just puts limited use demos on the shop for everyone to try out, the better.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo is notoriously unpopular in NZ, they probably figure it's not worth the effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nintendo is notoriously unpopular in NZ, they probably figure it's not worth the effort.

And they still get Pokemon distributions over Austria.

• Locked thread