Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
I lick all of my guitars so no one else will play them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I actually did it a few times when I had a stomach bug so bad that it literally made no sense to get off the toilet. I'd already read every shampoo and conditioner bottle a hundred times over. So I grabbed a guitar to play (this was before iPhones).

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
I don't really trust myself to ding my guitar, so I have a professional preding it for me. Trust me, it's worth the fee to have them do it for you the first time, and you can watch them so you know how to ding it properly yourself next time.

Dec 26, 2012

muike posted:

The smell was gone for like 5 years, then the other day, I just smelled it again and realized it was time to clean the fretboard. It's better than one of my others, which the previous owner had put a vine of life inlay sticker all down the fretboard on. on moonlit nights, you can still see the ghost...

thats a feature. olfactory maintenance indicator

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
my nose is all hosed up so i just imagine it smells even worse to other people, which is good

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

my nose is all hosed up so i just imagine it smells even worse to other people, which is good

instead of keeping a silica pouch in your case you keep a few bent cigarettes in there

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

HollisBrown posted:

I cancel you out, I'm the guy that takes guitars into the bathroom with me to play while I poop.

i fear hemorrhoids (as should you all)

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

unlawfulsoup posted:

2.) If you are not a klutz you do not need to 'pre-ding' your guitar, because you will not ding it to begin with.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
I'm pretty sure this video is the exact opposite of what this thread started out to be, but I don't know what it's about anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXyM_oxGjrQ

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

their lil poopers posted:

congrats on not getting hyperbole

Given how many people love relicing their guitars, I cannot tell anymore.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Guitars earn scars like humans do.
The deliberate ones just suck. Truly accidental rocking out while drunk ones are completely acceptable. But forcing it on there isn't any different to an angsty teen carefully cutting shallow scars in themselves imo

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today
"I like my girls with big tits, my wheels chrome, and my guitars glossy! That's just how we roll. If you think my guitar's too glossy, then just don't look!"
But nah, dirty is way more cool. The Dead Kennedys bass is my favorite.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

People mad that I ding up new stuff so I never have that "oh poo poo I just marked up my new pretty ______" feeling. Hell I do it to my laptop and phone. And I just mean a small, tiny mark so then I don't have anything "perfect" to ruin.

Then again I'm so clumsy I'll probably smack my guitar into something within a week anyway. It happened with every guitar I got this year.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

booshi posted:

It happened with every guitar I got this year.

To be fair, the ding on your Jazzmaster was the stock bridge when you got it :v:

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
A guitar repair tech just posted the most recent axe to hit his workbench on Facebook. It was captioned "Serious DNA Issues"

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That guitar probably sounds amazing

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
rubbing alcohol and some elbow grease will turn that into a star

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
also somehow knew it was a tele before expanding the pic

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

BigHustle posted:

A guitar repair tech just posted the most recent axe to hit his workbench on Facebook. It was captioned "Serious DNA Issues"

Tone Grime™

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

You guys are all dumb. A nice relic job can really improve a guitar's look. But it's gotta be subtle.

http://www.bas-extravaganza.nl/?page=bassen&BassenID=18

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I hope that this literally was some guy who smashed his bass at a gig, and then decided to see if it was possible to salvage it.

Otherwise this person either made the coolest bass in the world or the single worst instrument inflicted on humanity.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

SaNChEzZ posted:

What's the consensus on rondomusic? They've got a baritone Les Paul knockoff for under $150, was thinking about picking it up. At the end of the day if it's terrible it might look good on the wall, right?

I have an Agile septor 727 which is basically the archetypal highschool no-money bedroom djentlord axe and it's actually really good, solid construction and sounds really good too.

I'm not sure how good the cheaper Douglas/SX stuff is, I think it's a different brand/factory

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

Sockington posted:

To be fair, the ding on your Jazzmaster was the stock bridge when you got it :v:

True, but thank god I got such a good deal on it to replace it right away.

Also that tele neck. How are those strings not broken yet and ugh that's gross.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

BigHustle posted:

Those strings. Can you get tetanus over the internet?

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I've got a friend who's simply not allowed to play my guitars because his hands will destroy strings in a couple hours of playing. He tries everything, washing his hands before playing and wiping them down after. His hands just produce funk at an alarming rate, they're like a kindergardener who's been digging in the trash.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

HollisBrown posted:

I've got a friend who's simply not allowed to play my guitars because his hands will destroy strings in a couple hours of playing. He tries everything, washing his hands before playing and wiping them down after. His hands just produce funk at an alarming rate, they're like a kindergardener who's been digging in the trash.

I'd guess he has more oxidants in his sweat than usual. Tell him to try some vitamin E oil or lotion, before playing, and see if it helps.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
Dude, my bathrobe came with a guitar strap!

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo

HollisBrown posted:

Some people just seem to have caustic sweat or something. I put a brand new set of strings of my acoustic last year and let a friend borrow it for a song at a guitar camp, when he handed it back to me it was like the strings had aged 6 months in five minutes.

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.

Clitch posted:

I'd guess he has more oxidants in his sweat than usual. Tell him to try some vitamin E oil or lotion, before playing, and see if it helps.

Yeah, either this or try getting the sand out of your vagina so you won't freak out if your friends ruin your tones.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Mentos Dan posted:

Yeah, either this or try getting the sand out of your vagina so you won't freak out if your friends ruin your tones.

Cork-sniffing bluesdaddery is one thing, but dead strings are dead strings, man.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."

Google Translate posted:

Does not it occur to you on MTV very men who play metal wear clothes that you would not wish a wanderer in the Paris metro, but with the most expensive guitars, which are beautiful high gloss polished. This can not be. I feel a moral obligation to do here something about it. Provide a tool which suits the overall look and feel of the strap.

Another explanation could be that I'm just not a very good luthier ....

Who in the gently caress is the target market here? Punk dads?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
oh god why

OH GOD WHY

http://youtu.be/0jsIbyz64WE

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

I have one of those. It sounds bad rear end running through a pedal board.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

I approve of the instrument but I do not approve of that shirt, which should be burned while that guy is wearing it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

BigHustle posted:

I have one of those. It sounds bad rear end running through a pedal board.

honestly for $20 i'm tempted but holy poo poo is that ever a bad demo

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.
Man, some of you would poo poo yourselves if you saw my acoustic. It's been played many hours every day for 10 years, and rarely cleaned. It literally cannot be polished to a shine anymore, because the top is just so beaten up and abraded. It looks pretty awesome in person, but unfortunately, the natural finish combined with the fact that it's billions and billions of little nicks doesn't translate very well to photography.

You can see where my pick has shredded the wood around the soundhole, though. It doesn't just look like it gets paper-thin near the middle there, it's that thin. The other side of the top is in a little better shape, but not much. Too many hours of smoking weed and playing bluegrass.

[edit] Also notice the nice brown patina just south of the scratchplate. That's funky tone goo, right there.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

BigHustle posted:

Jesus christ.

When I first started playing guitar it never occurred to me that when I change strings I should wipe down the fret board until someone mentioned it to me after about a year. Since it's maple there are still some minor stains 13 years later from that, but not once did it look that bad.

JULIAN ASSANGE
Dec 6, 2012

Julian Assange FACT:
If you unzipped my pants, you would only find more pants.

BUSH 2112 posted:

Man, some of you would poo poo yourselves if you saw my acoustic. It's been played many hours every day for 10 years, and rarely cleaned. It literally cannot be polished to a shine anymore, because the top is just so beaten up and abraded. It looks pretty awesome in person, but unfortunately, the natural finish combined with the fact that it's billions and billions of little nicks doesn't translate very well to photography.

You can see where my pick has shredded the wood around the soundhole, though. It doesn't just look like it gets paper-thin near the middle there, it's that thin. The other side of the top is in a little better shape, but not much. Too many hours of smoking weed and playing bluegrass.

[edit] Also notice the nice brown patina just south of the scratchplate. That's funky tone goo, right there.

how much did it cost to get someone to relic that for you?

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
I guess being President of the United States comes with a lot of perks that I never would have guessed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BILL-CLINTO...=item258e5fe27c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

HollisBrown posted:

This is me and and its really annoying. :smith:

• Locked thread