Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

How does buff targeting work? I.E. if I have a body ethereal caster and I want him to target my units, how do I make him not cast it on himself instead? Do casted buffs just hit the entire army? Is it different per buff and not generically explainable in a single post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

ChickenWing posted:

How does buff targeting work? I.E. if I have a body ethereal caster and I want him to target my units, how do I make him not cast it on himself instead? Do casted buffs just hit the entire army? Is it different per buff and not generically explainable in a single post?

All buffs have two important aspects: Range and AoE. They can only cast the buffs on units in range, and it will hit all units in Aoe number of squares. Spells without range automatically self target. Spell with range typically target the squad with the most hp in range, with special targeting rules on certain spells.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

ChickenWing posted:

The best way to guarantee buffs go to the right people is to make sure the unit/square you want is the only one in range and that they have more HP than the caster. That said, sometimes your casters will still go crazy and cast the spell targeting themselves, so if it's an AOE buff, place them more or less in the middle of the units you want to target.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

scalded schlong posted:

How much PD does that buy :psyduck:

Nuclearmonkee posted:

That's like 2 100pd provinces a turn! Also he could fort literally everything!

It god dispelled a turn later. So much for hordes of logrian calvary. :smith:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kitfox88 posted:

It god dispelled a turn later. So much for hordes of logrian calvary. :smith:
Logrian Cavalry is garbage, btw.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

jBrereton posted:

Logrian Cavalry is garbage, btw.

What's wrong with them? They look like decent cavalry to me, as far as non-elites go.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jabarto posted:

What's wrong with them? They look like decent cavalry to me, as far as non-elites go.
Cost too much for what they are, also 14 defence (really 10) is a bit low for a 30 gold unit that's hard to mass and is pretty squishy.

Same gold gets you an Icthycentaur, which is way better, and TC's horsemen cost less for basically the same unit in close combat, but which also has a bow. 5 gold more is a Centaur Warrior which has 2 attacks and about double the health, plus more defence skill and MR.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

scalded schlong posted:

1+2+3...+n = (n/2 * n) + n/2, I think.

(n/2)*(n+1). 9 PD = 4.5 * 10 = 45 gold. 10 PD = 5 * 11 = 55 gold.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Are formations besides the default useful at all? I seem to recall someone mentioning that they can be handy to reduce the effect of arrows and magic, but there's also a morale penalty involved that made me wonder.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

ChickenWing posted:

Are formations besides the default useful at all? I seem to recall someone mentioning that they can be handy to reduce the effect of arrows and magic, but there's also a morale penalty involved that made me wonder.

I like using line/dense line formations for my frontline troops. It helps prevent flankers from reaching your archers or mages and also keeps as many troops as possible at the front of the formation actually fighting instead of standing behind all the other guys. Also morale doesn't seem to matter as much for archers so putting them in a line or skirmish really does help against arrows.

I'm not the most experienced player though.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

ChickenWing posted:

A -1 or -2 or whatever morale penalty is not going to make your army instantly crumble and run. Morale is great against indies early on and can matter a lot against enemies with fear or awe later, but if the choice is between 1) take a teeny tiny morale penalty or 2) lose half your army to thunderstrikes in the first turn, you should probably be choosing the first option.

If your guys are just in a tiny square where every space has something important, thunderstrike and every other really nasty AOE 1 spell is always going to hit and smash a whole square-worth of guys. If your guys are checkerboarded in skirmish formation, precision actually matters, and you aren't guaranteed to have things die with every cast. Also, larger AOEs will have less total effect. Spells with 2 AOE are unlikely to hit more than one square.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 13, 2014

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Flavahbeast posted:

my #1 consideration when placing is minimizing the risk of losing the province before the fort finishes, I also want to minimize the time I have to spend guarding the construction province and waiting for a return on my investment, so the only time I place something that isn't the cheapest fastest option is when I have a high population province in a secure position and I'm not in any hurry to have it produce mages/troops
Basically this. The part of the pallisade that matters is the 1 faster turn to build. It's safer and you can start recruiting faster. Big forts work best on thrones, since that's where sieges matter

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

ChickenWing posted:

As long as your melee troops end up with 11 or more morale, you'll probably be okay.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
Does anyone know some tricks to turn teleporting mages into PD clearers?

I was thinking something like vine shield + horror helm with body ethereal + astral shield might cut it but most human mages just die to the first hit they take. Is it all about elemental spam?

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

ChickenWing posted:

The morale penalties aren't insignificant, but neither are the formation benefits. Formations are very useful - they make a big impact in fights, and it's all driven by the troops/strategy you have vs your opponent.

Skirmish is important against strong area magic. Line formations are pretty high value for a number of reasons like preventing flanks, wrapping around boxes, getting your own flanks in and maximizing your fighting troops vs the ones standing around.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

TheresNoThyme posted:

Does anyone know some tricks to turn teleporting mages into PD clearers?

I was thinking something like vine shield + horror helm with body ethereal + astral shield might cut it but most human mages just die to the first hit they take. Is it all about elemental spam?

Cloud Trapeze, Mistform, Vine Shield, and Brand.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Yeah, paying 8-10 D gems for a horror helmet isn't necessary imo.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

The fact that line formations are harder to flank is pretty huge, especially if you have expensive/high-quality troops. My Jotunheim games improved dramatically when I started using them.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Remember kids, Blood/Astral mixed with decent spammable battlemagic is the answer to all things!

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

I Love You! posted:

Remember kids, Blood/Astral mixed with decent spammable battlemagic is the answer to all things!

Isn't this sort of the same as saying "This toolbox full of flexible tools is the only tool I need"?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Jabarto posted:

The fact that line formations are harder to flank is pretty huge, especially if you have expensive/high-quality troops. My Jotunheim games improved dramatically when I started using them.

Does flanking confer any sort of morale penalties (a la Total War et al), or is it just beneficial purely because you can have more pixelmans beating on your target?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

ChickenWing posted:

Does flanking confer any sort of morale penalties (a la Total War et al), or is it just beneficial purely because you can have more pixelmans beating on your target?

More pixelmans and it lets you get at the squishy mages and archers behind the pixelmans; kill all the commanders and no matter how much army is left it all routs, take out the mages and archers and your own mages and archers can act unhindered.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

ChickenWing posted:

The latter, it's a lot easier for a giant to survive 3-9 hits per round than 12-24.

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012

ChickenWing posted:

Also more pixelmen means less defence of the dude. Every attack incurs a penalty to defence because not everyone can be Neo and move in slow-mo :colbert:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Reading on communions in the dom4 manual and I'm not entirely clear on how fatigue is spread.

Dom 4 Manual posted:

Fatigue distribution: The amount of fatigue assigned to each participant in the communion is the cost of the spell cast by the master divided by the number of participants in the communion. This is further modified depending on the skill level of the communion slaves:
slave level = master level: no modification
slave level > master level: fatigue / 2
slave level < master level / 2: fatigue * 4
slave level < master level: fatigue * 2

Is master level pre- or post- communion? E.G. I communion an E2 mage up to E4 with a bunch of E3 slaves (possible silliness of this example notwithstanding). Do they halve their fatigue or double it?

Then, tell me if this looks right: in the event of the former, say I cast an 500 fatigue spell with four communion slaves at > level. The communion would split this as 100 to the master and each slave, which would end up as 50 per slave and 100 for the master.

Finally: a one-slave communion. Do you still get the path increase, or is he just a fatigue-soak?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Azram Legion posted:

Isn't this sort of the same as saying "This toolbox full of flexible tools is the only tool I need"?

No you can just ignore the toolbox, cast astral corruption, and then shoot people with the nailgun that is Send Horror

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I Love You! posted:

No you can just ignore the toolbox, cast astral corruption, and then shoot people with the nailgun that is Send Horror

I'm now imagining an old man firing horrors from finger guns while saying "pew pew".

It's a pretty excellent mental image.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

ChickenWing posted:

I'm now imagining an old man firing horrors from finger guns while saying "pew pew".

It's a pretty excellent mental image.

Pretty much

To be fair there's only a few nations that can take advantage of the AC shutdown endgame, and it's harder to implement than something as simple as Burden of Time or even Vengeful Waters + blood sac, which both tend to do similar things with regards to winning the game and come online quicker and with a better suite of battlemagic on the way to the prize. But AC has the added advantage of locking out slow-research builds from doing much with their gems at all, which is a big bonus that the other paths don't offer and is even more impossible to dispel than Vengeful Waters (which is already basically undispellable since you can just cast it over and over for almost nothing).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

2014-05-14 16:00:11 +0200
Event update
Events can yield horror marks
Select unit shows more of the more interesting targets and at least 2

You are horror marked! He is horror marked! Horror marks for everyone!

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Turin Turambar posted:

You are horror marked! He is horror marked! Horror marks for everyone!

yayyyyyyyyyy

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Do remote attack spells get an exploding dice roll added to their damage or is it just flatly whatever is in the description? E.G. seeking arrow: the manual says it causes an 8-point armour negating attack. That's 2d6 exploding + 8, right? Also, just to make sure I'm clear, the defender gets to roll some sort of defense right? Obviously not protection, but I imagine they'd roll defense - although I'm not sure what the attack roll would be.

E: also is gabriel pope's pantokrator LP hosted anywhere that isn't the archives? I'd like to read it but a) dead archives, and b) all the image links are dead now.

ChickenWing fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 15, 2014

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

ChickenWing posted:

Do remote attack spells get an exploding dice roll added to their damage or is it just flatly whatever is in the description? E.G. seeking arrow: the manual says it causes an 8-point armour negating attack. That's 2d6 exploding + 8, right?
Is it not 1d6 exploding+8 vs +1d6 exploding damage reduction.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Damage rolls are always +2d6 exploding, but there is also a protection roll even if the attack is Armor Negating, so Seeking Arrow is actually:

8 +2d6 exploding -2d6 exploding

e: I've updated the mod inspector URL-parsing IRC bot to accept commands without a modname/none/vanilla. Stuff like "!unit drake" will work now. If you want to access a mod, you can still do so the normal way, with an abbreviation (there aren't any dom4 mods with abbrevs right now) or with the full mod file name ("!unit Worthy_Heroes4_121.dm lizard", for example). If you forget this and still use "none" it'll still work, too.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 15, 2014

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013
As far as remote attack spells are concerned, what attack spells do people use. I know that if you can lock down a fort with remote unrest spells you should do it with Rain of Toads, Wrath of Pazuzu being in the top tier with blight following close behind and raging hearts also being strong. The only time I have used the other remote attacks was some mind hunting in the late game and it was mildly effective. I have also used early seeking arrows to slow down an advance by Mictlan. Have people seen any of the other spells being used effectively?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Ghost Riders are pretty beefy. Use them in concert with scouts to take provs with relatively high PD (I've seen them beat 20 in Dom3).

Aggressive Mind Hunting is super-powerful.

Horrors are kind of a crapshoot depending on which one you get. Cast it more than once to be sure.

Vengeance of the Dead will always kill its target; eventually it becomes impossible to kill the ghosts fast enough.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

ghost riders, mind hunt, vengeance, are all useful. if you spam a troop remote attack, you can sometimes trigger enemy gemuse, which will mean they won't have enough for a normal phase battle. countered by conservative gem usage checkbox and double/triple gems.

call of the winds / call of the wild are usually used vs 1 PD. disruptive, but expensive.

fires from afar is usually good at taking down research centers. low hp mages, multiple castings, low or no numbers of enemy troops. flames from the sky / murdering winter can annihilate a human sized army and really fucks with human communions, doubly so in combo with a second casting or an attack. in the very-lategame in dom3 it was sometimes sensible to equip fire res rings to critical human-sized mages.

I forget the names but the cold and heat spells can be used to mess with rivers and mountain passes in dom4. Useful, just keep in mind it won't block moves already ordered.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Wolven Winter and Breath of the Desert are the temperature-affecting spells, they also kill population when cast. BotD is really hard to cast because it relies on two paths that you're unlikely to get together, Wolven Winter is relatively simple because Water boosters are ten a penny.

As well as not stopping moves that've already happened, I'm pretty sure they won't affect the impact of temperature on any spells like Murdering Winter etc. you wanted to cast, because they make events happen, which are resolved after the spells themselves.

Shachar
Apr 5, 2006

ChickenWing posted:

Are formations besides the default useful at all?

Lines also slow the unit down to the lowest movement speed in the unit (maybe ignoring mans with AP penalty afflications), which will force troops with different speeds to move in unison rather than wander into the enemy piecemeal, and this can be useful for mixed units.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It's not just the same unit. Every unit in line formation will move at the same speed.

I learned this when I put some cavalry in line to increase their charge "surface area", and they frustratingly kept pace with my infantry instead of charging down the flanks. :argh:

I'm not sure if putting them under a different leader will affect this, I suspect not though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Just put them in a different squad.

• Locked thread