Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

opengl128 posted:

Replaced the coil pack today, along with plug wires for good measure. :woop: Smooth as glass now. Set the timing, and took it out for a couple hours without issue. I really need to rip that drat buzzer out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivMjsqlOzGA

Fuuucccckkkkkkkk. Was all good today for a couple hours, them the same symptom again, no power, misfiring, running on 2 cylinders and trying to die at idle. I'm at a loss. All I can think of is a wiring issue. This couldn't be caused by fuel delivery, like a failing pump or bad injectors could it? CPS seems pretty unlikely. MAF? Grrrr.

Still no CEL, but I pulled codes and have a pending one for running too rich, so I'm pretty sure it's misfiring and dumping fuel out the exhaust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Take it to a shop you trust and just have them diagnose it, no sense throwing parts at it anymore, let the pros figure out exactly what it is first and go from there.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

craig588 posted:

I'm thinking of wasting some money http://www.carbonmiata.com/

Has anyone seen any comments on how well their pieces match the factory panels? I want to get 2 new fenders anyways and getting something that doesn't rust is pretty appealing.

I saw someone buy a trunk from them that doesnt fit right at all and had a pretty serious defect in the weave. He's currently trying to bend it into place by closing it on strategicly placed socks and letting it sit in the sun. Avoid.

opengl128 posted:

Fuuucccckkkkkkkk. Was all good today for a couple hours, them the same symptom again, no power, misfiring, running on 2 cylinders and trying to die at idle. I'm at a loss. All I can think of is a wiring issue. This couldn't be caused by fuel delivery, like a failing pump or bad injectors could it? CPS seems pretty unlikely. MAF? Grrrr.

Still no CEL, but I pulled codes and have a pending one for running too rich, so I'm pretty sure it's misfiring and dumping fuel out the exhaust.

I had a very similar issue that turned out to be the circuit board on my ECU having a serious burn line running down the length of it. Took me a month to figure that one out. Take it out, crack it open and check for damage, if nothing easier shows up. I bought a used one and was back on the road.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just recently discovered that the advanced keyless entry works on the trunk. That's like magic to me man.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I just recently discovered that the advanced keyless entry works on the trunk. That's like magic to me man.

Its super sweet. The only downside is getting the key out of the fob to lock any of the storage areas, but I don't lock them (or store anything important in there anyways).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bovril Delight posted:

Its super sweet. The only downside is getting the key out of the fob to lock any of the storage areas, but I don't lock them (or store anything important in there anyways).

Yeah that sucks. The only thing of value I have in there is the manual, everything else is in the center cubby or the seat cubbies.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I figure if someone wants my aux cord or coolbreeze scoop they can have it.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Bovril Delight posted:

I was going to order a scoop recently. NA/NB or NC scoop?

e: I see you have an NC, so if you're giving it away, I'll take the scoop.

e2:VVV What are you guys on about?

HarmB fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 12, 2014

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Harmburger posted:

Everybody be on the lookout for Hamburger.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game
Beware the Harmburgler.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
What kind of oil should I be putting in my 97 NA with ~70k miles? 10w30 Mobil 1? 5w30?

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Harmburger posted:

--------------------------------------------

Bovril Delight posted:

The only downside is getting the key out of the fob to lock any of the storage areas, but I don't lock them (or store anything important in there anyways).

Bovril Delight posted:

Harmburger posted:

Konrad posted:

Beware the Harmburgler.

The Harmburger Parable

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

blk posted:

What kind of oil should I be putting in my 97 NA with ~70k miles? 10w30 Mobil 1? 5w30?

Rotella T6 which is 5w40.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Harmburger posted:

e: I see you have an NC, so if you're giving it away, I'll take the scoop.

I don't know what's going on! I meant I don't lock them so if someone gets in the car that's the only thing of value.

Get the scoop, its worth it. Only one angry bee has made it into my lap so far.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Now I want to swipe Bovril's scoop.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

We all do.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
I want a scoop. What is a scoop?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Hey, I totally called dibs on the scoop. (Now I see the humor in my post. Reading is totally great!)

e: After being an idiot, went ahead and ordered my own, as well as a RoadsterSport RACE, and some Bosch Icons. Lots of new goodies!

HarmB fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 13, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Bovril Delight posted:

I don't know what's going on! I meant I don't lock them so if someone gets in the car that's the only thing of value.

Get the scoop, its worth it. Only one angry bee has made it into my lap so far.

So does the scoop make a big difference or is it just slightly noticeable?

I could be in the market for a scoop. I love scoops.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Not as charming as a canoe or drumset or whatever the gently caress people carry in the car, but my first encounter with first world Miataproblems.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I can fit 3 30 packs of beer in my S2K trunk :shobon:

e: I've actually had a full size tower in there too. There is a dip in the trunk where the tool kit is that allowed me to sit it in there standing up, otherwise it would have taken some tetris magic to make it fit with the other things I had in there at the time I think

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 13, 2014

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

Rhyno posted:

The was my favorite feature on my NC, gently caress fumbling for your keys when your hands are full.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

leica posted:

So does the scoop make a big difference or is it just slightly noticeable?

I could be in the market for a scoop. I love scoops.

It really doesn't seem like it would put out a lot of air, but it really does blow a lot. Post 40mph or so it dumps out a lot. There is a foam splitter in there to funnel half to the driver and half to the passenger.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
A little more than a week into ownership and I'm already wishing I had an LSD. Between that and the cost of fixing the paint chip on my bumper cover, I'm wondering if I should just trade up to an M-Edition.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Is your automotive add kicking in already? Forget about the bumper for now and put a Torsen in it, you should be able to find one for a reasonable price. Just drive it and stop worrying so much about the bumper, spray it with some Mazda paint so it's not so noticeable and you won't care. With a little bit of money you can make it better than any stock M edition, unless Starlight Blue Mica paint is more important to you.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
What's the best place to buy one? private on miata.net, or is there a good supplier of used/refurbished ones somewhere?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Keep your eyes open on craigslist, or just call up Planet Miata or any of the other used Miata parts dealers and have one shipped to you.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Yeah, Torsens are an easy and worthwhile upgrade. Most everyone knows that they're desirable, so it's tough to find one cheap, but still... worth it.

Easy swap that can be done with the rear of the car on jackstands.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Is there a quick and dirty way to tell if there is a Torsen in the car? I have a 95 with leather and I hear that's pretty much a sure thing.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game
Kieth Tanner suggests you can peek in through the fill plug:

http://books.google.com/books?id=gS...0torsen&f=false

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Konrad posted:

Kieth Tanner suggests you can peek in through the fill plug:

http://books.google.com/books?id=gS...0torsen&f=false

Can you just jack up the rear end and spin one wheel by hand? If the other turns in the same direction, you have an LSD.

At least, this worked on my last RWD car.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Beach Bum posted:

Is there a quick and dirty way to tell if there is a Torsen in the car? I have a 95 with leather and I hear that's pretty much a sure thing.

Easiest way is to call Mazda and give them the VIN, they'll tell you if it was originally equipped with a Torsen or not (or crappy viscous LSD if it's a pre-94ish car).

Nocheez posted:

Can you just jack up the rear end and spin one wheel by hand? If the other turns in the same direction, you have an LSD.

At least, this worked on my last RWD car.

I don't remember enough to say conclusively, but I don't think that works with the TORque SENsing LSDs, I think there is some type of torque differential required to get it to engage. Again, I may be wrong. That trick worked for the LSD in the MR2 I just sold, though, both wheels turned same direction, LSD confirmed.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Torsens don't work like that. If they are unloaded or even one wheel is unloaded they behave like an open diff.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
That makes sense. My previous car did not have a torsen, so I wasn't sure if it would work the same way.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I could have sworn there was a quick and dirty way to tell if you're at a junk yard or something.....Maybe it was peeping through the fill hole? I gotta call my local U pull and see how much it runs for a Miata rear end, more and more are popping up and I my be able to get a jump on somebody. Depending how quick Mazda is on the phone I could just call from the yard with the vin I suppose.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Pull the ebrake a few clicks so it's dragging, then jack the rear of the car and spin one of the wheels. You're applying torque with the ebrake, both wheels should spin in the same direction.

I've done this to get the LSD to kick in when I had one wheel get completely high centered in the snow. Worked perfectly.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/4466067614.html

The price seems okay-ish, but an unintercooled JRSC and TEIN flex don't sound that great.

seems like it could be a good pickup though -- even if you just parted out the supercharger and the suspension?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Is there any solid rumor or info on when the next Miata will be revealed?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

opengl128 posted:

Worked on it a bit more today. Cleaned every connection in the engine bay with electrical cleaner. Checked out the ground point for the majority of the ignition system, it was looking pretty gnarly. The shiny bit is from where I cleaned it before deciding to replace it. I feel hopeful about this, because there was no continuity between the inside of one of the freshly cut wires, and the freshly cleaned ring terminal.

Snipped it off and crimped on a fresh waterproof ring terminal, coated in dielectric grease. Drove for an hour or so with no issues, but it was fine longer than that before, so I'm not convinced it was the ground yet. Did manage to get a video of a new sound, wondering if it may be related. Its a hollow/quack/chirpy noise, coming from the crank pulley area. I'm wondering if I've got a timing/timing belt issue. Apologies for the orientation of the video. The noise is only apparent during the first portion of it. And to be clear, its not misfiring or misbehaving in any way during the video other than the noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsBYfTWPZt0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

opengl128 posted:

Did manage to get a video of a new sound, wondering if it may be related. Its a hollow/quack/chirpy noise, coming from the crank pulley area. I'm wondering if I've got a timing/timing belt issue. Apologies for the orientation of the video. The noise is only apparent during the first portion of it. And to be clear, its not misfiring or misbehaving in any way during the video other than the noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsBYfTWPZt0

Mine makes the same kind of noise but much more rhythmically. I have hypothesized that it is the timing belt but have nothing to back that up. My buddy's car also makes the exact same noise ever since a his last timing belt job.