Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

King Burgundy posted:

Yeah, I'm sure the kinectless sku is a bummer for anyone currently working on a Kinect game.

Yeah, that's probably a kick in the teeth. Just going off of Harmonix' staff twitters it doesn't seem like they were consulted. So Harmonix and who else? To be honest, I don't see it being a big deal for the games side of things in general going forward. Most Xbox One games treated it like they did before. Optional command stuff, just like it was on the 360.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Chick3n posted:

Wow. I really thought they were going to wait until E3 to announce all that. Show off new games, removal of Gold for media apps, Games with Gold on XB1, and then finish with a price cut. I also really didn't think they were going to remove the Kinect. I knew they would offer a price cut, but I thought they would take the hit rather then removing it.

The price cut is effective June 9th, I wonder if the paywall removal leak forced them to release this info early?

I was actually wondering if maybe they're working on a system update that makes console navigation easier without kinect, and want to get that out the door.

King Burgundy posted:

Yeah, I'm sure the kinectless sku is a bummer for anyone currently working on a Kinect game.

Sad day for Rare I guess :)

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Why does that chart have Game DVR checked for Xbox 360?

e: And cloud saves unchecked.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Man I wish I had search so I could pull up the I told you so post of mine from last year, got the right month/everything for the Titanfall bundle too.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Chick3n posted:

edit: Didn't see this at first

Doesn't really bother me, but it does make it worse value compared to 360. Hopefully now they can offer better quality games.

That's also exactly how it works on PSN. I assume the only reason it works more freely on 360 is because they didn't have the infrastructure in place to allow it to work this way.

King Burgundy posted:

These are good changes.

Yeah, I think this evens the playing field a lot in markets the 360 won handily (the US and parts of EU, I guess). I don't think it'll change anything for other countries, like Japan for instance, but it does make the Xbox One a lot more attractive across the board.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Dan Didio posted:

Yeah, that's probably a kick in the teeth. Just going off of Harmonix' staff twitters it doesn't seem like they were consulted. So Harmonix and who else? To be honest, I don't see it being a big deal for the games side of things in general going forward. Most Xbox One games treated it like they did before. Optional command stuff, just like it was on the 360.

Yeah it's quite likely their developer relations guy legitimately didn't know whether this was going to happen, despite all the internet armchair analysts saying it would.

Harmonix will probably do fine. They have brand recognition from Dance Central and will probably move units, though maybe now it'll be closer to 360 Kinect sales numbers instead of every xbone owner.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Funkmaster General posted:

Why does that chart have Game DVR checked for Xbox 360?

e: And cloud saves unchecked.

It's a bad chart.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Barudak posted:

I'm kind of bummed about the Kinectless SKU this early since the Kinect has been one of the two core reasons why this has been so popular in our household. That said its a rather impressive commitment to minimizing losses on console hardware by Microsoft and definitely a strong signal indicating a change in direction.

My wife/kids now expect voice control of the TV regardless of what device they're on. They are always surprised when the 360 doesn't do their vocal bidding or they can't pause/play vocally while in the DVR portion (that did actually work till I messed with the remote codes). Kinect has been a success in my house for sure (with minor bumps). Overall though yeah I agree this is progress for the market. Give people what they want then hope they try the additional abilities later. Much like Windows 8 with a touchscreen. I know people that swore they'd never use a touchscreen on a laptop/desktop because <dumb argument>. Then they tried it and now enjoy the new control method offered. :getin:

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Is it possible to train the Kinect for remote commands so that I can control my DVR with voice?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Is it possible to train the Kinect for remote commands so that I can control my DVR with voice?

Its supposedly coming in one of the updates it was mentioned when they rolled out the april update but I haven't heard since then.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
On a side note, I used Skype for the first time this past weekend to call into my brother and family and while an interesting experience, I noticed something odd. They were getting a sort of automated view. The Kinect zooms in and frames up whomever was speaking. My wife and I were sitting side by side, but unless we literally smooshed faces it would only frame one of us up. Our "own cam" view showed none of this however. It only showed the wide angle view.

And it didn't seem like there was any medium setting for this feature. Either they get the ENTIRE VIEW of my living room, or some super zoomed in view of our faces.

Is this the norm? If it helps, they were on a phone and we, of course, were on Xbox/TV.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

They could just drop the lovely camera and gestures in favor of putting a 5 cent microphone in the front of the console and allowing that to receive voice commands.

The gestures are loving terrible, but the voice works fine, and I think its a shame that people wont have that available to them unless they pay $100-150 for the kinect.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Laserface posted:

They could just drop the lovely camera and gestures in favor of putting a 5 cent microphone in the front of the console and allowing that to receive voice commands.

The gestures are loving terrible, but the voice works fine, and I think its a shame that people wont have that available to them unless they pay $100-150 for the kinect.

Especially when the PS4 totally does have voice commands built-in.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Laserface posted:

A microphone would be great. I use the voice commands way more than I expected and I wouldn't really have been bothered enough to buy a separate Kinect given the choice, but I'm glad I've got it now its been thrust upon me. There will definitely be a UI upgrade to allow people to do stuff like record that without voice commands.

The best bit of news today is that gold is going to the ps+ format where you rent a game, rather than own it. This will allow much more current titles to be part of the free game roster.

I'm gonna finally buy forza when its on sale in June, they mentioned discounts of 50 and 75 percent which would be amazingly good. I wouldn't be surprised if the July free games are ryse or forza following a deep discount in June to eek out the final legitimate sales.

I guess all these changes are down to Phil games Spencer, he's going hog wild over there.

The new sunset overdrive footage looks really good too. Sunset overdrive being revealed and all these announcements just before e3 makes me optimistically think they must have a ton of stuff to show off.

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:

Crafty posted:

I guess all these changes are down to Phil games Spencer, he's going hog wild over there.
I'd attribute it more to Elop than Spencer. These changes were obvious, but would affect every other division's plans for the XBox One, such as Skype, UI-parity with Surface and Phone (no more guaranteed cam and mic), Microsoft's Entertainment Dept in Santa Monica and whatever their NuAds plan morphed into. All of which are above Spencer's paygrade.

Elop the near CEO, not Spencer, would have had the fortitude to bend those divisions to the new way of running Xbox, essentially kicking most of the visiting cooks out of the kitchen.

Spencer's contribution will hopefully still be coming and manifest in more innovative ways than just taking pages out of Sony's playbook, given his long history inside games and not as an executive. Today's changes were pure MBA-guided decisions to establish immediate parity with competition prior to trying to develop their new appeal to customers.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

I'll consider Kinect voice to be useful when I no longer have to say the exact phrase "xbox go to forza Motorsport 5" or "xbox on" works more than half the time for me.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Crafty posted:

I can guarantee you almost nothing that's been done was because of Phil Spencer.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Is this the norm? If it helps, they were on a phone and we, of course, were on Xbox/TV.

It does this. We gave up on using the autozoom because its incredibly annoying and you can't control it whatsoever. Very annoying and makes using skype on the Bone needlessly annoying.

MrBond posted:

I'll consider Kinect voice to be useful when I no longer have to say the exact phrase "xbox go to forza Motorsport 5" or "xbox on" works more than half the time for me.

In theory the next update will add adaptive learning like every other voice recognition software does so you might see some real improvements in the future.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Sedisp posted:

I can guarantee you almost nothing that's been done was because of Phil Spencer.

Not to veer this thread too much into shitbox thread territory, but Sony continuing to crush it in the NPD numbers is probably most of it.

Barudak posted:

It does this. We gave up on using the autozoom because its incredibly annoying and you can't control it whatsoever. Very annoying and makes using skype on the Bone needlessly annoying.

In theory the next update will add adaptive learning like every other voice recognition software does so you might see some real improvements in the future.

I hope so! They just did "cortana" (ugh) so clearly cloud voice processing is within their abilities. Now they just need to finish whatever update that is.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

They just need to poach the crew behind the FireTV's voice search. That thing is the bee's knees.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

MrBond posted:

I'd consider Kinect voice to be useful if it worked in more than one language... or if it had accuracy better than about 80%. I can't be the only expatriate with an Xbox. I don't want to set my console to French, but a fair number of people in this country don't speak English (believe it or not) which makes it almost useless as a gimmick when people are over.

I can't find very many articles about this though, and some of the ones I have found are outright false ( http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/11/21/xbox-voice-commands-are-region-locked/ ). English voice control works just fine on my French console TYVM.

Edit: I wonder if I had two profiles, I could easily switch between the two? That's kind of a pain in the rear end though. I haven't thought of this before since the voice control is so mediocre in the first place, but maybe that'd be at least a little more interesting. "XBOX, aller a battlefield quatre"

Saladman fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 14, 2014

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.

Blue Raider posted:

They just need to poach the crew behind the FireTV's voice search. That thing is the bee's knees.

Bing Search worked well the one and only time I messed around with it :shobon:.

Unless Super Time force was delayed it looks like midnight launches might not exist in Australia. Previously digital games have come out right on 12 AM here, but all of those games were available in America for 1-2 days first. Super Time Force is a world wide launch so it should've been out here 16 hours ago, but there's still no sign of it.

I'm not too worried about a slight delay on Super Time Force, but there have been several times where I've bought games at midnight to play with friends. If they're all playing a disc copy and I'm stuck waiting for the digital copy to come out in America, that will really suck.

It's been getting great reviews, if only I was playing it right now :(.

Saladman posted:

Edit: I wonder if I had two profiles, I could easily switch between the two? That's kind of a pain in the rear end though. I haven't thought of this before since the voice control is so mediocre in the first place, but maybe that'd be at least a little more interesting. "XBOX, aller a battlefield quatre"

Voice and country are set on the console not profile, so that wouldn't work.

edit: Wow. The Xbox One is cheaper then the PS4 in Australia now. The Xbox was only $50 more then the PS4 in Australia, with the $100 price cut it's now $50 cheaper.

And it looks like that includes a copy of Forza 5. $499 with Forza 5 vs $549 for a PS4.

Ronald Duck fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 14, 2014

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
Amped as heck that Games with Gold is starting up. I always want to buy that Spartan Assault game but I know it will be stupid so I never do. Now I can find out how stupid it is without spending money!

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Amped as heck that Games with Gold is starting up. I always want to buy that Spartan Assault game but I know it will be stupid so I never do. Now I can find out how stupid it is without spending money!

Spoiler: Pretty loving stupid.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Funkmaster General posted:

Spoiler: Pretty loving stupid.

Yeah the reviews weren't good. If its a choice between that and max I'd pick the max game.

I agree with most of Mr boogies points on his Kinect dropping https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m1hqkTea2I

Chick3n posted:

edit: Wow. The Xbox One is cheaper then the PS4 in Australia now. The Xbox was only $50 more then the PS4 in Australia, with the $100 price cut it's now $50 cheaper.

And it looks like that includes a copy of Forza 5. $499 with Forza 5 vs $549 for a PS4.

It will be cheaper in Canada too, by 50 dollars

Super time force looks great and right now is reviewing really well, I'm definitely buying it.

Watch dogs resolutions have been announced. 792p 30fps for Xbox and 900 30fps for PS4, at 108 peas that's the smallest the difference has been when any difference was present.

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.
Super Time Force is really good... apparently I played it for 5 hours today :stare:.

It looks like there's 6 stages and I've done 4 of them so far, so it seems to be a decent length. I did restart/rewind a few stages more times then I had to though, having the maximum number of characters at once dumping ammo everywhere is way too ridiculous.

quote:

Will I be able to cancel my Gold membership?

Yes. Once the Xbox One and Xbox 360 system updates become available in June, Xbox Live Gold members who purchased a paid membership before that day can cancel and receive a pro-rata refund of any unused remaining days between the date of cancellation and the date their paid Gold membership ends. Cancellation and pro-rata refund requests must be made by August 31, 2014 and require six to eight weeks for processing. Free or trial Gold memberships are not eligible for a refund. To request your pro-rata refund, please click http://support.xbox.com/contact-us after the system updates become available in June.
http://support.xbox.com/en-AU/my-account/xbox-live-membership/live-faq

If you bought an Xbox One and Xbox Gold just to watch Netflix you'll be able to request a refund on your Gold subscription.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Chick3n posted:

Now, I'm in the US, so it might be different there, but the word I got at work was that the Kinectless SKU would not include a free game.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

The music from the Super Time Force tutorial level is currently playing in my office. This game is great.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Crafty posted:

Watch dogs resolutions have been announced. 792p 30fps for Xbox and 900 30fps for PS4, at 108 peas that's the smallest the difference has been when any difference was present.

Yeah, there is like no consistency at all to it right now. It goes all the way from MGS being massively different (1080p60 with higher rez textures and somehow still lovely looking on PS4 and 720p60 and mind bogglingly lovely on the bone) to stuff like Battlefield and Watchdogs which are pretty negligible.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

OldPueblo posted:

My wife/kids now expect voice control of the TV regardless of what device they're on. They are always surprised when the 360 doesn't do their vocal bidding or they can't pause/play vocally while in the DVR portion (that did actually work till I messed with the remote codes). Kinect has been a success in my house for sure (with minor bumps). Overall though yeah I agree this is progress for the market. Give people what they want then hope they try the additional abilities later. Much like Windows 8 with a touchscreen. I know people that swore they'd never use a touchscreen on a laptop/desktop because <dumb argument>. Then they tried it and now enjoy the new control method offered. :getin:

Your wife and children require... re-education. Don't they know about ESRAM or Peas? Framerate?!? How could you let this happen? They shouldn't be having FUN with CRAPPY HARDWARE! They need to know they're doing it wrong!

(I actually have the same home situation. It's p. cool actually.)

And yeah, that Spartan Assault game is kind of bland, at very, very best, only if you love twin stick shooters.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Yeah, there is like no consistency at all to it right now. It goes all the way from MGS being massively different (1080p60 with higher rez textures and somehow still lovely looking on PS4 and 720p60 and mind bogglingly lovely on the bone) to stuff like Battlefield and Watchdogs which are pretty negligible.

I found it funny when it was leaked that it would be 1080 60, knew that was never going to happen with this type of open world game.
Sony have paid extra money to get the special hour of unique PS4 game play so I doubt it's anything to so with lazy devs in this case.
I'm pretty confident that at a normal viewing distance 108p difference would be reasonably difficult to distinguish. Zooming in on screenshots may yield better definitions between the two though.

*Wild speculation warning* In the future if dx12 makes any difference whatsoever then who knows, the 108peas may become even less peas.

Chasiubao posted:

The music from the Super Time Force tutorial level is currently playing in my office. This game is great.

The music from the previews I saw was what convinced me I was going to love the game. This is my favorite https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aknprpAWM1A&t=75s that tune was stuck in my head for days. I am going to play child of light before I buy stf, I'm looking forward to it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DX12 isn't even for the Xbone. DirectX is a solution for a problem consoles don't have.

Herr Direktor
Mar 19, 2006

Crafty posted:

I'm pretty confident that at a normal viewing distance 108p difference would be reasonably difficult to distinguish.

This is exactly right which begs the question why loving bother with 792p at all considering its even less of a difference between that and 720. All Microsoft and devs keep saying is that it doesn't matter between 720 and 1080 so why bother with these small pointless increases like 792? Either it matters and that why they won't allow any more 720p games or it doesn't so just let them stay there.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

/\/\/\/\/\/\

Because people on the internet dont shut the gently caress up about peas, ever. Every single one of my friends has at least one of the next gen consoles and I dont think any of them could tell you what resolution or framerate a single one of the games they have runs at. >Games, and video game forums at large, are an echo chamber in which people convince each other certain things are important to each other/themselves so, of course, it must matter to every one. But the majority of people dont care/dont notice. They want one of the new consoles to play the new games in their favorite series on and to play games with their buddies or whatever.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Your wife and children require... re-education. Don't they know about ESRAM or Peas? Framerate?!? How could you let this happen? They shouldn't be having FUN with CRAPPY HARDWARE! They need to know they're doing it wrong!

the NSA is watching your children take dumps through your kinect

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 14, 2014

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

I'd be more concerned with framerate drops or weird texture issues like some other games have had, but we'll have to wait for actual reviews to figure that out.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

MrBond posted:

I'd be more concerned with framerate drops or weird texture issues like some other games have had, but we'll have to wait for actual reviews to figure that out.

Pretty much this.

I don't notice a difference between 720 and 1080. As long as things run smoothly, that's all I care about.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

A c E posted:

Pretty much this.

I don't notice a difference between 720 and 1080. As long as things run smoothly, that's all I care about.

I do notice resolution differences, but I sit like 3 feet from a 50 inch TV when I play games because I am a man child. I just dont care that much.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
Super Time Force is loving with my head in the best possible way :D

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.
For anyone playing Super Time Force that's come across collectibles that are just out of reach: shooting the sniper ladies charged shot into the ground gives you a little bit more height.

Felt pretty smart when I worked that out :).

edit: Super Time Force may be the first Xbox One game that uses game generated clips in a non-annoying way. After you finish a stage you get a replay with all your clones/ghosts running through at the same time. Pressing Y generates a clip of that replay for you. No need to manually record anything.

Unlike Peggle it's actually the correct length to contain the full replay, rather then just the end :rolleyes:.

Ronald Duck fucked around with this message at 12:16 on May 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Sedisp posted:

Here he is five weeks ago mentioning he wants to make changes to the gold pay wall

And here he is talking about how he went about his plans for a kinectless bundle.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/05/head-of-xbox-says-plans-to-decouple-kinect-from-xbox-one-began-in-april/

Did you think he was just there to keep an eye on major nelson?

• Locked thread