Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

hahaha omar you fuckin idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Su'a-Filo isn't falling to No. 32 but I'd be pretty stoked if that happened

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Benne posted:

Su'a-Filo isn't falling to No. 32 but I'd be pretty stoked if that happened

I just want a guard who actually knows how to play the position.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
Stephen A. Smith just did a bit on First Take how people who feel strongly about Michael Sam and speak out against his homosexuality need to be able to have the freedom to speak without fear of reprisal. Apparently we need to protect the freedom of speech and allow people the right to have opinions we don't agree with. He doesn't feel a person's professional career (re: Dolphins players) should be in jeopardy for personal opinions. About an hour earlier, he ripped Donald Sterling to shreds for his opinions and said he needs to be stripped of the team. :psyduck:

I knew Stephen A. was a moron, but dang.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

BigBoss posted:

Stephen A. Smith just did a bit on First Take how people who feel strongly about Michael Sam and speak out against his homosexuality need to be able to have the freedom to speak without fear of reprisal. Apparently we need to protect the freedom of speech and allow people the right to have opinions we don't agree with. He doesn't feel a person's professional career (re: Dolphins players) should be in jeopardy for personal opinions. About an hour earlier, he ripped Donald Sterling to shreds for his opinions and said he needs to be stripped of the team. :psyduck:

I knew Stephen A. was a moron, but dang.

To be fair there is a world of difference between a racist/homophobic employee and a racist/homophobic owner. I would be more interested in going back to seeing what he said about Riley Cooper for comparisons sake.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
There is a big difference, but naturally Stephen A. isn't really arguing that at all, he's just yelling things

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Mel Mudkiper posted:

To be fair there is a world of difference between a racist/homophobic employee and a racist/homophobic owner. I would be more interested in going back to seeing what he said about Riley Cooper for comparisons sake.

I mean, not really. In either case they are negatively impacting your image and it would make sense for them to face consequences. If a Starbucks employee told you that you were a disgusting person for kissing your boyfriend and that you were going to rot in hell they should probably start sending out job applications.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

BougieBitch posted:

I mean, not really. In either case they are negatively impacting your image and it would make sense for them to face consequences. If a Starbucks employee told you that you were a disgusting person for kissing your boyfriend and that you were going to rot in hell they should probably start sending out job applications.

On the other hand, if they work at Chick-fil-a...

Neither one is good and both should face consequences for being stupid, hateful people, but the racist/homophobic owner can do so much more damage. That's the margin of difference we have to remember, and it's why the concept of a "gaffe" exists. Our politicians and richists and celebrities are the same as any of us--they're people just the same as we are, they have the same inherent value for being people, and they make the same dumb mistakes. But we hold them to a higher standard and demand higher consequences when they make the same dumb mistakes because their prominent positions act as force multipliers.

But yes, in this case I think you're generally correct. That same kind of stupid, bloody-minded intolerance has to be turned back wherever it goes, because that kind of thing gets underneath the supports of tolerance that other people use and undermines them. It's not a legitimate alternate viewpoint if it disregards the basic fact that all men are created equal.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 13, 2014

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Sash! posted:

Why does every season have a once in a generation player?

They're not wrong, that player will never be born again in this generation. :v:

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If it makes you feel any better (or worse), he was arguing for the acceptance institutionalized homophobia based on "freedom of religion".

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

BigBoss posted:

If it makes you feel any better (or worse), he was arguing for the acceptance institutionalized homophobia based on "freedom of religion".

welp

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I feel like posting a random Omar Kelly tweet.

@OmarKelly: Confession: I just caught myself looking at a Dolphins picture of Dennis Hickey and calling him the silver fox. I'm so ashamed.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Time for fakeOmar update

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
As someone not in the habit of following Dolphins beat writers for obvious reasons, I'm getting suspicious that the real Omar Kelly is just an elaborate goof by you guys.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Didn't a goon used to run the FakeOmarKelly account, and then quit because it was impossible to distinguish between the real Omar?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Benne posted:

Didn't a goon used to run the FakeOmarKelly account, and then quit because it was impossible to distinguish between the real Omar?

There are several people who run it and I'm like 99% sure we all forgot the PW. I was given it years ago to update and just never did regularly. Did the original guy start from SA? I thought finheaven.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

There are several people who run it and I'm like 99% sure we all forgot the PW. I was given it years ago to update and just never did regularly. Did the original guy start from SA? I thought finheaven.

Omar's current attempt at picking a slapfight is with Randy Starks and Kao Misi is pretty amazing. drat it crazy, you suck for losing the password to fake omar kelly.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Reboot Fake Omar Kelly

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.
Fuckin seriously. Omar's in rare form this morning.

Omar on haters:

quote:

Every morning I have to start off with a fresh set of haters to shake off. Tiresome, but it does keep me driven.

quote:

The other theory is I have some people's dream job & they just hate it. Zach Thomas put it best. I get paid to have recess all day.

Omar on humility:

quote:

I have it (Humility). Just show no weakness

quote:

To @dmb132000 if you ask anyone who works with me, or knows me they'll tell you the real me. But how I grew up weakness makes u a target

Omar being hard and keepin it real on twitter, apparently.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Based on the amount of time Omar Kelly spends trying to convince people that he has the best job in the world, I'm going to guess that his job must loving blow. (why exactly it would, I do not know)

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

OctoberBlues posted:

(why exactly it would, I do not know)

I think if you take something you love and make it your job, even if it is something fun, it would eventually suck all the joy out of it. I mean, I've known pilots that loved flying a plane they rented or when they were in the military that loathed the idea of becoming an airline pilot and flying a bus on the same route over and over again even if it meant they'd get paid to do what they love (fly a plane).

I'm pretty sure I'd turn down an offer to be paid to write about PSU football because I'd never be able to just watch a game again.

Sportswriters drive me nuts because they talk about how awesome their job is, but they have one of those jobs that if it just stopped existing tomorrow, greater civilization would never notice.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I post the ones I would if I still have it from time to time, I think in this thread, about the hulk and having a man inside me

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Jake Long literally caused Dan Le Batard to quit sports-writing for awhile. He was tasked to do some kind of draft profile on him and he followed him around for some time leading up to the draft. And Long was just a big meat head who didn't give any insight or thoughts or even a good quote or two and it caused Le Batard to have a "what am I doing with my life" moment.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I declare a dance party: http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/11049946/rick-reilly-last-column

:dance:

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

The line about learning professionalism from the manufactured and machined image that Michael Jordan, the complete rear end in a top hat and possible sociopath, put out to the public was fantastic.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

If I had to choose between a neglectful drunk and Rick Reilly for a dad I would have to sit down an think for a good long while

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If I had to choose between a neglectful drunk and Rick Reilly for a dad I would have to sit down an think for a good long while

Neglectful dad isn't going to share his awful opinions with you so he wins in a landslide.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

Can he take Rovell and Prisco with him too?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

swickles posted:

Neglectful dad isn't going to share his awful opinions with you so he wins in a landslide.

Yes but there is evidence to suggest having a neglectful drunk for a father might turn you into Rick Reilly

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Will someone post the interview of the GM who made fun of getting a call from Peter King, who thought he knew where the team jet was with respect to FA for a famous player, and laughing because King was completely wrong. I need a pick me up.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
ICYMI: Rick Reilly making Nazi jokes on twitter and then fake apologizing for it. It's not football related but since we were talking about his career being over, let it be known that his awfulness lives on!

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/rick-reilly-catching-heat-ill-advised-tweet-martin-kaymer-article-1.1829187

https://twitter.com/ReillyRick/status/477573197580103681

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean, I make at least a dozen jokes worse then that on a daily basis, so whatever man.

But at least it couldn't happen to a more deserving fucker.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
PFT cited @PFTCommenter in an article :psyberger:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/19/bradshaw-on-peyton-if-you-like-losing-super-bowls-hes-your-guy/

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 19, 2014

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Speaking of PFTCommenter, he applied to be a member of the Pro Football Writer's Association a while back. It went about as well as you'd expect.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/6/9/5793486/how-to-get-rejected-by-the-pfwa

This guy's gimmick should've run dry ages ago, but somehow he's still getting good comedy out of it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He was retweeting tons of strong takes re: the Redskins name.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Peter King posted:

The MMQB Tour pulled into Gaffney, S.C., late last Sunday night. The four of us—driver Andy DeGory, me, PFF’s Neil Hornsby, video man John DePetro—hustled into an Olive Garden for dinner before it closed at 10. “Anything to drink for y’all?” the waitress said. I blurted out, “Glass of Chianti, please.” She said she is sorry, but this is a dry county and there is no alcohol served or sold in this county on Sundays. We are crestfallen. DeGory, who has been driving for seven hours since West Virginia, just hoping for one lousy beer when he gets us to the motel in Gaffney, looks like his dog just died. We lived. Unhappily, but we lived.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

4 men who can't stand each other's company on the ultimate quest to get drunk.
This fall... "Talking Heads" bumbles into a theater near you

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

"I'm sorry, I won't make it to the hospital, baby... loving Peter King just showed up 5 minutes before closing"

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Deadspin has a running project of doing this thread, but with more words. Their latest on Peter King and Cam Newton is really good http://deadspin.com/what-about-the-maturation-of-peter-king-1615794668

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nately
Oct 1, 2002

The age demanded an image / Of its accelerated grimace
I knew intuitively that Peter King is the kind of guy who shows up at a restaurant right before closing, but it's nice to see it confirmed.

• Locked thread