Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Mr Interweb posted:

I find it odd that Ambassador Stevens was the one and only one person in Obama's entire administration who Republicans just absolutely adore. Hillary? Nope. Holder? Nope. Sebellius? Nope.

I guess this is all just a happy coincidence.

Not to mention that, as far as I know, they've kept all blame away from the CIA Director at the time (I think Petraeus?).

Because heaven help you if you criticize a General of our Glorious Military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

paragon1 posted:

Was anybody here's reaction to seeing Ted Cruz's face for the first time not "Wanna punch that face?"

It's like, I didn't even have to think about it.

Reminds me of the responses to Joffrey's first scene in Game of Thrones.

"I don't even know who this little punk is but I want to punch him in the face."

Such good casting. :allears:

I think the thing about Cruz is that he's constantly on the verge of tears. Tears of patriotism.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

DemeaninDemon posted:

Vulcans bleed green due to copper instead of iron as the oxygen carrier. What metal would be blue? Hmmmmmm

Silver, but then if that were true whites would have started just mining blacks for their precious metals directly instead of wasting time with the slavery thing.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
I just wanted to drop in and say that I have been writing a book about my life for some time now and in response to the positive feedback from this board I have posted the first chapter over in Creative Convention.

I've been keeping this project pretty close to my chest and this is the first time I am releasing a part of into the wild. Right now I am looking mostly for feedback on the piece itself, particularly in how well it is written. My creative process for making the book is really different from how I have written my various threads over the years and I am interested in how the results of this new creative process hold up to the results of my previous threads.

Thanks in advance, you guys are wonderful.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I don't normally drink. Y'all are making me start again.

That being said, at least the whole doom and gloom about education fills me with hope.
It is said civic duty is dead, that the hearts of men (and women) are empty of compassion, but knowing that so many willingly give up so much, getting liberal arts degrees to subsidize those seeking STEM degrees, that they defeat the Fallacy of Composition by sacrificing all chance of a career, brings tears to my eyes and pride to my heart. Such nobility, such generosity, such chivalry! Truly, we live in a blessed age, that such brotherhood (and sisterhood) can exist. :unsmith:

:smithicide:

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Rockopolis posted:

That being said, at least the whole doom and gloom about education fills me with hope.
It is said civic duty is dead, that the hearts of men (and women) are empty of compassion, but knowing that so many willingly give up so much, getting liberal arts degrees to subsidize those seeking STEM degrees, that they defeat the Fallacy of Composition by sacrificing all chance of a career, brings tears to my eyes and pride to my heart. Such nobility, such generosity, such chivalry! Truly, we live in a blessed age, that such brotherhood (and sisterhood) can exist. :unsmith:

I have an English degree and I've worked mostly as a graphic designer and a web developer.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Rockopolis posted:

What is the point of this post?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

nutranurse posted:

I think that dude was drunk.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

nutranurse posted:

If the previous several pages of drunk depressive chat didn't trigger this response, I'm not sure why this would break the camel's back.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Mostly a joke about people with correct degrees who complain about people with incorrect degrees and yet don't complain that the people who who've wasted money and taken loans for whatever incorrect degrees are basically subsidizing the people getting the correct degrees. :ironicat:
Then treating it as a deliberate, noble sacrifice and dressing it up in overly flowery language because I was reading Water Margin over lunch.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Stupid phone doublepost.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Two Finger posted:

That's what really threw me. His schooling speaks to someone very intelligent but reading those questions, when so many of them are clearly doublethink, I just have to believe he's playing a game. But the flipside of that, well, if it walks like a duck...

He is playing a game and its only object is for him personally to win, he doesn't give a drat about anybody but himself. I've said this before but, Cruz is the living embodiment of a dirty Tleilaxu Face Dancer, straight out of Herbert's novels. He can be anything he needs to be, take any position or side he needs to take to accomplish his personal goals.

haveblue posted:

The NSA scandal is pretty significant and still ongoing.

PBS had a Frontline special on last night that explored the roots of "The Program" as its was called; covering beginning and the spread of the NSA spying on U.S. citizens. It explained just how it started under Bush and then was continued by Obama. It's a two part program and the second part airs on May 20 and will pick up with Snowden.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 14, 2014

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Rockopolis posted:

Mostly a joke about people with correct degrees who complain about people with incorrect degrees and yet don't complain that the people who who've wasted money and taken loans for whatever incorrect degrees are basically subsidizing the people getting the correct degrees. :ironicat:
Then treating it as a deliberate, noble sacrifice and dressing it up in overly flowery language because I was reading Water Margin over lunch.

It's amazing how these "smart" people with the correct degrees don't realize if everyone went to College to be a engineer then the supply will go up massively to not meet demand and there will be huge pay cuts throughout the field.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Talmonis posted:

I'm with you here. I have yet to see a picture of the man where he's not sneering.

Even better is hearing him speak. I don't think he's physically capable of expressing himself in any way other than snide backhanded comments.

Imagine living with the guy. He can't compliment his wife's brisket or his kid making the honor roll without it coming off as a sarcastic quip.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp
Does anyone know if universities splitting their colleges into STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics and LASS (Liberal Arts and Social Sciences), from them just all being siloed off in the College of Arts and Sciences with The College of Engineering off by itself in many places, was wrapped up in "LASS is for liberal scum and people who want useless degrees! We must bring most of out serious programmes under one umbrella!" rhetoric? In the same way that you have a separate "College of Business" to attract conservative students and parents?

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

socialsecurity posted:

It's amazing how these "smart" people with the correct degrees don't realize if everyone went to College to be a engineer then the supply will go up massively to not meet demand and there will be huge pay cuts throughout the field.

It they had an actually useful degree, like a Business Degree, they'd understand supply and demand! :smuggo:

Really, though, degree war bullshit is just STEM nerds trying to find one thing in life they can finally feel elite about.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Rockopolis posted:

That's not really how departmental funding works, but in any case if it was it'd be business majors subsidizing everyone else.

Dystram posted:

Does anyone know if universities splitting their colleges into STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics and LASS (Liberal Arts and Social Sciences), from them just all being siloed off in the College of Arts and Sciences with The College of Engineering off by itself in many places, was wrapped up in "LASS is for liberal scum and people who want useless degrees! We must bring most of out serious programmes under one umbrella!" rhetoric? In the same way that you have a separate "College of Business" to attract conservative students and parents?

Really depends on the school, their educational/research focus, and the size of the departments.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 14, 2014

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Dystram posted:

Considering the gender stereotypes of various majors, the liberal arts and social sciences being abbreviated "LASS" is pretty funny.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Dystram posted:

It makes sense to me to have the Arts and Sciences be a unified College, since (and most people forget this) science and math are two areas of the liberal arts. Engineering, business, med school, are more vocationally oriented whereas liberal arts are learning and inquiry oriented.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Has anyone mentioned Operation: American Spring yet? Apparently BETWEEN 10-20 MILLION* true American patriots are going to descend upon DC and will not leave until Obongo is outed. Also, guns should not be brought, but know that the government MAY use deadly force against peaceful protesters.

*According to the radio host that is organizing it

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Stultus Maximus posted:

It makes sense to me to have the Arts and Sciences be a unified College, since (and most people forget this) science and math are two areas of the liberal arts. Engineering, business, med school, are more vocationally oriented whereas liberal arts are learning and inquiry oriented.

It makes sense if you have a small campus but not if you have tens of thousands of students.

As for STEM grouping it's probably more to better increase collaboration and make sure lesson plans are made correctly (I personally don't know because here there's a million separate colleges and it's all bureaucratic bullshit, as is Texas in general).

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

SgtScruffy posted:

Has anyone mentioned Operation: American Spring yet? Apparently BETWEEN 10-20 MILLION* true American patriots are going to descend upon DC and will not leave until Obongo is outed. Also, guns should not be brought, but know that the government MAY use deadly force against peaceful protesters.

How much does a Rascal go for? Cause it could be between 10-20mil worth of Rascal scooters descending upon DC.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

SgtScruffy posted:

I mentioned it last night, but I was phone posting so I didn't have a chance to quote the Truther response to this news. It seems that this rally is actually a FALSE FLAG that ties in to the official reopening of the Washington Monument which will be destroyed as part of a controlled demolition during the event.

quote:

SWITZERLAND, Zurich — On Tuesday, May 13, 2014, President Obama will award the Medal of Honor to former Army Sergeant Kyle J. White at the White House. Sgt. White allegedly risked his life to save fellow service members during a 2007 ambush in Afghanistan.
Three days later on Friday, May 16, 2014, Retired Colonel Harry Riley will lead a march of thousands of so-called “patriots” to Washington D.C. to “remove Obama, Biden, Reid, McConnell, Boehner, Pelosi, and Attorney General Holder from Office”.
Interestingly, Col. Riley has termed the march “OPERATION AMERICAN SPRING”, a name synonymous with Islamic terrorism. In essence, “Operation American Spring” is a trap to set-up well-meaning “patriots” for acts of state-sponsored terror so that Obama’s political opposition can be vilified and a civil war can commence.
It is during one or both of these seemingly harmless events that a state-sponsored coup d’état and/or terror attacks will likely take place. Although terror plots are always subject to change, most likely target is Washington, D.C., namely the Obama White House and the Washington Monument.
The answer to the question posed in the April 17, 2014 Reuters report entitled “After Nevada Ranch Stand-Off, Emboldened Militias Ask: Where Next?” may just be Washington, D.C. A future terror scenario in which “militia” members (i.e., so-called “domestic terrorists”) execute a coup d’état against the Obama White House followed by terror attacks in Washington, D.C. is unfortunately very real.
In what appears to be a pre-White House terror exercise, it was reported on May 6, 2014, that a car allegedly trailing President Obama daughters’ motorcade prompted a White House lockdown. Whether the lockdown provided the necessary cover for the installation of demolition explosives and/or weapons inside the White House is not known, but said explosives could be detonated via remote control at a future date (May 13-16?) in order to give the appearance of a coordinated coup or terrorist attack.
Aside from the Pennsylvania man who was arraigned for a White House threat on March 24, 2014, two people were arrested and charged for throwing items at the White House on May 9, 2014. Prior to a state-sponsored terror attacks, patsies are often arrested for trivial crimes against the target in question in order to set the precedent for the real attack which is forthcoming.
Interestingly, on May 11, 2014, it was revealed that the Washington Monument will finally be reopened to the public on May 12, 2014. Whether the 3-year closure has provided the necessary cover for the installation of demolition explosives and/or weapons inside the Washington Monument is not known, but said explosives could be detonated via remote control at a future date (May 13-16?) in order to give the appearance of a coordinated coup or terrorist attack.
Coincidentally, it was reported on May 9, 2014, that a President James A. Garfield monument in D.C. was burglarized. Similar to the recent White House attacks, the attack on the Garfield monument was executed by intelligence operatives in order to set the precedent for a much larger attack on the Washington Monument which is forthcoming.
The notion that U.S. politicians are actively being targeted was recently witnessed on May 9, 2014, when the FBI allegedly arrested an Indiana man for threats against House Speaker John Boehner. Three days later on May 12, 2014, Keith Crisco, a politician from North Carolina, was found dead in his home. Needless to say, the blame for these events will likely be scapegoated onto so-called “patriots” in the wake of upcoming Washington, D.C.-related attacks.
In what may be “the” terror drill for a full-scale attack on the White House, the largest ever terror drill in the history of Boston, Massachusetts was executed on May 3-4, 2014, lasting a total of 24-hours and involving 2,000 personnel. Interestingly, the terror exercise involved the hostage rescue of elected officials, an explosive device on a transit system, a structural collapse, and a simulation of a terrorist takeover at the Convention and Exhibition Center. In order to hide their true target, state-sponsored terror drills are often held in nearby cities.
The notion that the White House is under the threat of a state-sponsored coup by Special Forces has been exposed ad nauseam by Truther.org (e.g., White House Coup D’état Terror Plot, State of the Union Terror Plot, etc.). As documented, the CIA is desperately trying to stage a coup against the Obama White House (which is coincidentally slated for demolition) in order to demonize political opposition and raise Obama’s poll numbers which are currently at an all-time low.
As detailed in the Truther.org report entitled “Top U.S. Landmarks Slated For “Controlled Demolition” Under Obama”, the entire city of Washington, D.C. has been rigged for demolition under the Obama administration (e.g., the National Mall; the Pentagon; the United States Capitol; the Supreme Court Building; the Washington Monument; the White House, and the FBI’s the J. Edgar Hoover Building). Therefore, within a few minutes, the entire city of Washington, D.C. can be turned into a raging inferno, thus giving the look of an elaborate and organized coup.

It goes on to explain that the movie Olympus Has Fallen was actually part of a Psy Ops campaign to prepare America for the earthquake that damaged the Washington Monument, which happened prior to the release of the movie.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Yet again reality shows up to be far more hilarious than any dumb joke I could think up.

edit: Super Slam! Suck a dick, Butch Otter. Judge denies Otter's request to still keep gays from marrying in Idaho

Islam is the Lite Rock FM fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 14, 2014

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

Well, that's what I shooting for with fallacy of composition.

comes along bort posted:

That's not really how departmental funding works, but in any case if it was it'd be business majors subsidizing everyone else.

Really depends on the school, their educational/research focus, and the size of the departments.
Is that in terms of endowments or in terms of value for money?
I just thought if you're paying the same and getting less you're subsidizing those who are getting more and paying the same.

Then again, I thought it was funny, so :shrug:

Occupy Sesame Street!
Nov 20, 2012

paragon1 posted:

Was anybody here's reaction to seeing Ted Cruz's face for the first time not "Wanna punch that face?"

It's like, I didn't even have to think about it.

I sent that gif of Cruz to my girlfriend without context, because I thought it was hilarious. She responded saying that she had no idea who he was, but she wanted to punch his face.

This demands further study and/or anecdotes.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
PPP's Alaska poll finds broad support for their minimum wage referendum and narrow support for marijuana legalization, which will also be on the ballot in November. Gay marriage won't be on the ballot, but it appears Alaskans would vote for it if it were.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

SgtScruffy posted:

I love how these so called 'American patriots' don't like the American political process. I seem to remember something going on in 2012 to chose the next POTUS. Is that not a valid political process?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Cimber posted:

I love how these so called 'American patriots' don't like the American political process. I seem to remember something going on in 2012 to chose the next POTUS. Is that not a valid political process?

They also want to remove Joe Biden, Harry Reid, Mitch McConnell, John Boehner, Nancy Pelosi, and Eric Holder. Three of those people weren't on the ballot in 2012! True, one of those three people is an appointee who would have been replaced had the election gone differently and, also true, another of those three people is on the ballot this year, but that still leaves Harry Reid!

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

What does Obama need with a starship?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Cimber posted:

It's not valid when the wrong person wins! :freep:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Jagchosis posted:

Can we get a trigger warning ITT for closeups of Ted Cruz's face I'm Literally Shaking

JT Jag posted:

I just punched his face on my computer monitor and now it has a hole and my hand is all cut up

thanks Obama

:effort: The shakiness of my editing makes it look like the image of Ted Cruz is shaking in some sort of mockery of him.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Mo_Steel posted:

:effort: The shakiness of my editing makes it look like the image of Ted Cruz is shaking in some sort of mockery of him.

This is loving art and I love you.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Joementum posted:

PPP's Alaska poll finds broad support for their minimum wage referendum and narrow support for marijuana legalization, which will also be on the ballot in November. Gay marriage won't be on the ballot, but it appears Alaskans would vote for it if it were.

There is no way this is the same Alaska that I live in. Do the people they poll not actually vote or something?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Mo_Steel posted:

I am proud that my shitpost eventually led to this. :911:

Evil Sagan posted:

There is no way this is the same Alaska that I live in. Do the people they poll not actually vote or something?

Alaska is basically a social democracy with nothing to do but smoke pot and hike or whatever, but still love to vote for regressive social policies for whatever reason, so I guess that explains the poll. They were at the forefront of marijuana liberalization in the past IIRC?

iamnotcreative
Jul 28, 2002
What, you expected something creative here?

Joementum posted:

In what appears to be a pre-White House terror exercise, it was reported on May 6, 2014, that a car allegedly trailing President Obama daughters’ motorcade prompted a White House lockdown. Whether the lockdown provided the necessary cover for the installation of demolition explosives and/or weapons inside the White House is not known, but said explosives could be detonated via remote control at a future date (May 13-16?) in order to give the appearance of a coordinated coup or terrorist attack.
As detailed in the Truther.org report entitled “Top U.S. Landmarks Slated For “Controlled Demolition” Under Obama”, the entire city of Washington, D.C. has been rigged for demolition under the Obama administration (e.g., the National Mall; the Pentagon; the United States Capitol; the Supreme Court Building; the Washington Monument; the White House, and the FBI’s the J. Edgar Hoover Building). Therefore, within a few minutes, the entire city of Washington, D.C. can be turned into a raging inferno, thus giving the look of an elaborate and organized coup.

Out of all that these are my favorite bits of crazy. I love how these nutjobs think the government may have needed a cover story in order to install explosives in the White House but at the same time were able to rig the entire city to blow.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
They had a cover story for the Washington Monument too: the multi-year shutdown caused by that earthquake. Apparently it takes the NWO several years to rig an obelisk with an elevator shaft going up its center to explode, but they can do the whole White House in a couple hours.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Wait is Obama not in on this conspiracy, why do they need to stage anything to get into the White House?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

DynamicSloth posted:

Wait is Obama not in on this conspiracy, why do they need to stage anything to get into the White House?

Maybe the real question is which Obama is in on this?! :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

They had a cover story for the Washington Monument too: the multi-year shutdown caused by that earthquake. Apparently it takes the NWO several years to rig an obelisk with an elevator shaft going up its center to explode, but they can do the whole White House in a couple hours.

A solid cover story about the earthquake that knocked over someone's lawn chair a large distance away. :3:

e: The footage from security cameras inside the monument is scary as gently caress though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCXG9ogWdxE

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 14, 2014

• Locked thread