Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I don't think anyone is having trouble with a hobby that 'costs money', I'm pretty sure most of us who think this is bullshit probably either play video games or other war games like Warmachine or whatever (I sure as poo poo do), the issue is Warhammer has been on a track to go from 'this costs money' to 'this costs an obscene amount of money' for a good while now, and poo poo like a brand new edition with an 80 dollar rule book coming out just two years after the last one is really really not good.

Yeah, there's a difference between (A) dropping 250 bucks on a console and a game with a recurring $50 charge every year and (B) dropping 500 bucks on books, supplies, and a starting army with a recurring $80 book charge every other year + recurring $30 supply charge every 3 months + $70 additions to your army until you've spent $2000 followed by either reduced payments or doing another $300 down payment and going back to $70 additions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

As someone who has a fully painted Crimson Fists army, a couple of other 40k armies in various stages of completion, and who hasn't played 40k since roughly the mid-2000s (but likes to lurk the 40k threads and keep up with things), I feel qualified to say that IMO, 40k has turned into a pile of shite (in terms of both rules and fluff) over the last several years; GW is a terrible company run by a bunch of short-term, bottom-line focused panicky morons (i.e., like every other company out there these days); and it frankly boggles my mind that anyone can defend GW and their business practices (or just anything they do these days overall, really) with a straight face. Well, thanks and God Bless.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Von Humboldt posted:

Now you and Broken Loose have to fight to the death, gladiator style.

I think it's now officially the Rhana Dandra; the Wolf Time

LabiaBadgerTickler
Feb 12, 2014

by Ralp
Anyone seen the new GW website. Isn't that an innovation of web design.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Boon posted:

I guess that depends if you think it's a fair criticism for an Audi to cost more than a Ford. It's not exactly a yes/no answer.

games workshop is not the audi in this terrible analogy

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I've just read through about 15 pages of bitching and slapfighting about the new rulebook and you know what, it doesn't really matter to me. I just bought Dark Vengeance to get into this lovely hobby and I'm in it for the long haul, I dont give a gently caress if GW starts charging me per individual rule, I'm getting my money's worth from these lovely plastic spacemen. Every time it seems like a bad idea to put more money into this horrible hobby I just put together more CSM and get high off the glue fumes, none of you can stop me.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Does this "unbound" thread rule mean I'm allowed to post this? I sure hope so...

By virtue of no longer being the worst poster in the thread, there is declared a general amnesty for all 40k thread exiles.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Buschmaki posted:

I've just read through about 15 pages of bitching and slapfighting about the new rulebook and you know what, it doesn't really matter to me. I just bought Dark Vengeance to get into this lovely hobby and I'm in it for the long haul, I dont give a gently caress if GW starts charging me per individual rule, I'm getting my money's worth from these lovely plastic spacemen. Every time it seems like a bad idea to put more money into this horrible hobby I just put together more CSM and get high off the glue fumes, none of you can stop me.

You are my new favorite poster

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Esser-Z posted:

Well, with an Audi you theoretically are getting a premium product. With 40k...

So, gaylord, "don't have conversations I don't like"?

More, don't have conversations that have been run into the floor several years ago that only results in the same overblown responses.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

seriously though it was a cool idea but every single book starring this chapter is garbage even by black library standards :(

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Winson_Paine posted:

By virtue of no longer being the worst poster in the thread, there is declared a general amnesty for all 40k thread exiles.

I-is that an official promotion? I

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Just gonna put this here, best thing I've read in like a week.

quote:

Women seem to dig me for the most part. I'm only bad at the maintaining relationships, not at the getting into them part. I find it easy to flirt with girls, and very rarely get rejected, but I have trouble making any relationship last more than a few weeks. Most women accuse me of being inscrutable and incapable of opening up, whereas I tend to find most women incredibly boring once I've had sex with them. I'm kind of jerk like that, I guess. I'm in my late 30s now, and pretty much a committed bachelor. I don't want kids, don't want to be married, and don't really care about relationships or sex as much as I did say fifteen years ago. I kind of get annoyed by this issue because I like gaming and I loathe other people's drama, and I find that mixed gaming groups tend to have way more drama than male-only groups and that drama tends to make gaming groups explode, which is why I've run so many unfinished campaigns. The drama really gets in the way of the gaming. In fact, I've been getting way more into wargaming and getting away from RPGs just because there's so much less drama with the almost entirely male wargaming scene.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

S.J. posted:

Barely functional luxury from Europe that you have to spend hundreds to stay on top of doesn't sound like GW to you?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
This is the best this thread has been in a long time. I'm most excited by the return of un-inspiration picture:

(just kidding, the last one owns)

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

S.J. posted:

games workshop is like a geo metro that has been really nicely painted and detailed and blinged out and you go 'cool, how much is that' because it's a genuinely appealing detail job and then they quote you something that's like a dozen times the actual value of the job and besides under the hood it's still a geo metro that hasn't been maintained in years

this is a more convoluted but ultimately more accurate car analogy

S.J.
May 19, 2008

panascope posted:

Barely functional luxury from Europe that you have to spend hundreds thousands to stay on top of doesn't sound like GW to you?

gently caress me, you're right, holy poo poo

nevermind i retract my previous statement

JerryLee posted:

games workshop is like a geo metro that has been really nicely painted and detailed and blinged out and you go 'cool, how much is that' because it's a genuinely appealing detail job and then they quote you something that's like a dozen times the actual value of the job and besides under the hood it's still a geo metro that hasn't been maintained in years

this is a more convoluted but ultimately more accurate car analogy

Also this.

The rest of this page should be dedicated to GW as car analogies.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

serious gaylord posted:

More, don't have conversations that have been run into the floor several years ago that only results in the same overblown responses.

Ironically a gaylord is a large box used to store other boxes for shipping.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Von Humboldt posted:

Now you and Broken Loose have to fight to the death, gladiator style.

No, he and SNT have to fight to the death, like against like. I'm kinda rooting for Noctis. PeterWeller will be doing commentary - come watch as he twists himself into a pretzel and shoves his head up his rear end to make it fit THE LORE.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Winson_Paine posted:

Ironically a gaylord is a large box used to store other boxes for shipping.

Boy i've stored some boxes.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

BULBASAUR posted:

This is the best this thread has been in a long time. I'm most excited by the return of un-inspiration picture:

(just kidding, the last one owns)

The last two, really - I can't help but laugh at Kilt Marines. Need a Chaplain playing the bagpipes.

Wtf did that first thing come from though

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Ugly John posted:

The last two, really - I can't help but laugh at Kilt Marines. Need a Chaplain playing the bagpipes.

Wtf did that first thing come from though

Utilikilt marines, please.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

S.J. posted:

gently caress me, you're right, holy poo poo

nevermind i retract my previous statement

Also this.

The rest of this page should be dedicated to GW as car analogies.

They're an Alfa Romeo. The Styling is top notch but the build quality is terrible. Often leaves you stood at the side of the road in the pouring rain and shouting about how awful it is but then you remember that very occasionally it works and you have the time of your life.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

panascope posted:

Barely functional luxury from Europe that you have to spend hundreds to stay on top of doesn't sound like GW to you?

I only buy American because the TV says they're built like rocks

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sydney Bottocks posted:

As someone who has a fully painted Crimson Fists army, a couple of other 40k armies in various stages of completion, and who hasn't played 40k since roughly the mid-2000s (but likes to lurk the 40k threads and keep up with things), I feel qualified to say that IMO, 40k has turned into a pile of shite (in terms of both rules and fluff) over the last several years; GW is a terrible company run by a bunch of short-term, bottom-line focused panicky morons (i.e., like every other company out there these days); and it frankly boggles my mind that anyone can defend GW and their business practices (or just anything they do these days overall, really) with a straight face. Well, thanks and God Bless.

I too think GW has a terrible business model, that they are a short-term focused company, and that they aren't developing a superior rule set. However, I also enjoy the game, the ease of access, the fluff, and I especially enjoy painting the models. So I continue to play and purchase when I need too.

Do I get angry when I think that GW might be ruining the game to which I have invested money in? Yes. Then I realize that I'm not really entitled to a say with what they do with their company beyond buying or not buying their poo poo. If it gets to a stage that I can't afford to play their game then I'll probably do something else, which probably won't involve sitting in poorly kept hobby shops with some grossly overweight and unkempt individuals who get agitated if I say that I don't think the term Astra Militarum is a big deal.

I guess I'm just saying that GW sucks, but they still offer what most can't. At least the things I care about. Also, this hobby has some terrible people in it - seemingly more than most.

Boon fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 14, 2014

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

osirisisdead posted:

You ain't seen my rage, bud.

You guys NEED to see his rage. It's worth your time.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Boon posted:

I too think GW has a terrible business model, that they are a short-term focused company, and that they aren't developing a superior rule set. However, I also enjoy the game, the ease of access, the fluff, and I especially enjoy painting the models. So I continue to play and purchase when I need too.

Do I get angry when I think that GW might be ruining the game to which I have invested money in? Yes. Then I realize that I'm not really entitled to a say with what they do with their company beyond buying or not buying their poo poo. If it gets to a stage that I can't afford to play their game then I'll probably do something else, which probably won't involve sitting in poorly kept hobby shops with grossly overweight and unkempt individuals who get agitated if I say that I don't think the term Astra Militarum is a big deal.

I guess I'm just saying that GW sucks, but they still offer what most can't. At least the things I care about.

This is a bad effort post that I'm not reading. You should stop being so serious about overpriced kids' toys.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

serious gaylord posted:

They're an Alfa Romeo. The Styling is top notch but the build quality is terrible. Often leaves you stood at the side of the road in the pouring rain and shouting about how awful it is but then you remember that very occasionally it works and you have the time of your life.

guys i glued skulls to my ford focus and painted it some godawful color can i play

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

FLAME ON! :flame:

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Noctis Horrendae posted:

This is a bad effort post that I'm not reading. You should stop being so serious about overpriced kids' toys.

Y'know what man... I loving hate you.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Winson_Paine posted:

guys i glued skulls to my ford focus and painted it some godawful color can i play

well

i mean, yeah, but you better not touch any of my stuff

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Winson_Paine posted:

please dont doxx my car.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

I only buy American because the TV says they're built like rocks

Whoa hold on let's not go saying we're buying American cars now.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I'm using my Japanese import as a proxy for an Audi

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Cataphract posted:

I didn't notice.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Winson_Paine posted:

Unbound is Unbound, it doesn't specifically disallow models of cars. I don't know where you'd find space to deploy it though, you'd be the loser in that picture of the smuggo with the line of Kroot across the backfield winning without firing a shot.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Cataphract posted:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I like some of those deviant art sketches better than the 3DS Max + Adobe Aftereffects garbage they have on half their Horus heresy books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

• Locked thread