Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Tony Schiavone owns so hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

oatgan posted:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

oatgan posted:

Greatest announcer in the history of our sport.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
My favorite Tony Schiavone story is how some guy he hated hosed up a question about Belize so he worked in a comment about how everyone knows Belize borders Mexico into Nitro. I think it was Belize because I think he worked it into a luchadore match but I could be wrong. It was hilariously petty.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
That Worldwide episode featuring Tony discussing Karl Gotch was 2/2/97

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Anyone have a copy? That sounds worth adding to a Tuesday Nitro playlist, or at the very least that one segment.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thauros posted:

Anyone have a copy? That sounds worth adding to a Tuesday Nitro playlist, or at the very least that one segment.

I can't even find the full results for that show. Who was Malenko's opponent? It's sometimes possible to find single Worldwide matches here and there.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

MassRafTer posted:

I can't even find the full results for that show. Who was Malenko's opponent? It's sometimes possible to find single Worldwide matches here and there.

His opponent was Rey. The segment is exactly as the letter to Dave described.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
So I couldn't find the match but instead I found this, from WCW vs nWo Takeover, a German event I didn't know existed.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ba2bl_rey-mysterio-jr-vs-dean-malenko-nwo-vs-wcw-take-over-1997_sport

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Okay I know I got Bad Pack on DVD during a drunken amazon binge a few years ago

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

quote:

Well, Tony completely lost it. He called Heenan an idiot and said, "Yeah, maybe he was trained by the ghost of Karl Gotch. He's been dead since 1905. He wasn't trained by Karl Gotch. You're a moron. Where'd you get that one from? The internet? Those people are idiots, too. They just make that stuff up. Karl Gotch. Jeez."

Schiavone actually thought Karl Gotch was the wrestler who held the world title at the start of the century. He also thinks a shooting star press is called a Northern Lights press and thinks it was Mike Tenay who came up with the term enzuigiri.
There was no world title in 1900. Hackenschmidt lived to be 90. There's so much wrong with this that I can't, I just can't right now.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

bobkatt013 posted:

This is the same company that made him Juvi an announcer. Best of ideas are not something they believed in.

I know it's a bit late, but still it must be remembered. WCW made Juventud Guererra an announcer with the goal of having him emulate the Rock, and with the nickname "the Juice".

It didn't go well.

Also whilst talking about Juvi, (I actually liked him in WCW and he had some phenomenal matches with Rey), was it him they had lose the cruiserweight title by having a bottle of tequila smashed over his head? And Russo claims he isnt racist.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

BrigadierSensible posted:

Also whilst talking about Juvi, (I actually liked him in WCW and he had some phenomenal matches with Rey), was it him they had lose the cruiserweight title by having a bottle of tequila smashed over his head? And Russo claims he isnt racist.

He actually won the IWGP junior title from Liger that way.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Fauxhawk Express posted:

He actually won the IWGP junior title from Liger that way.

Liger conveniently forgot the belt back in the hotel that day, too.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Pyro and Ballyhoo posted:

Unfortunately, people have found this link prior to us being ready to release it. As a result, we have temporarily taken it down.

We ask that all dirt sheets please remove their articles promoting this link and email Vince Russo personally at vince@pryoandballyhoo.com as soon as possible. We would like to work with you in promoting this feature, but ask that you cooperate with us in doing so.

For those of you wanting to see the complete list of 101 questions, answered directly by Vince Russo, we promise we will be releasing it soon — tonight, in fact!

Follow Vince Russo on Twitter @PyroBallyhoo for full details, or continue to visit the site and we’ll release it very soon!

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

[Response here]

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Found it prior to being ready to release, after doing a podcast with Wrestlecrap specifically to promote the site's opening a week or so ago. Right.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Someone brought up Scott Hall being the guy behind the crow Sting gimmick and Dave posted this on the board.

quote:

The Scott hall Crow story is so overblown.

Scott Hall didn't even know who the Crow was.

Kevin Nash was dressed as the crow, don't ask me where or why, he just was. Scott saw it. He suggested Sting change his look to the character Kevin was dressed as. He had no idea where it came from,

I wish there was more to the post, I want to know why Nash was dressed up as the Crow.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Nash is from Detroit. Crow is from Detroit. That's all I got.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

If Sting stole the Crow gimmick on his own, would he be a Hall of Famer?

BrigadierSensible posted:

I know it's a bit late, but still it must be remembered. WCW made Juventud Guererra an announcer with the goal of having him emulate the Rock, and with the nickname "the Juice".

It didn't go well.

Juvi is a great worker and incredibly charismatic, but not entirely bilingual. The Juice was still a fun gimmick and better than Booker T's knockoff.

Juventud gave the tequila to Russo as a gift the week before. Its reappearance in the office was quality writing!
This is Russo's actual defense.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

MassRafTer posted:

I wish there was more to the post, I want to know why Nash was dressed up as the Crow.

Duh, cause it's Spriiiiiiiiiiiing break!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I like the idea of a drunk as gently caress Kevin Nash cosplaying.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

If Sting stole the Crow gimmick on his own, would he be a Hall of Famer?
If Hall had seen Nash on a different day, would Sting have dressed like the Wizard of Oz?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Halloween Jack posted:

If Hall had seen Nash on a different day, would Sting have dressed like the Wizard of Oz?

Oh, to live in the parallel universe where Vinnie Vegas descends from the rafters each Nitro.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I still remember Juvi saying "Lex Luger, he got the juice!!" on commentary during an episode of Thunder, and I always took it to be a steroid rib. No idea if it was or not.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

3/17/10 Observer fun

quote:

Randy Anderson, who along with Arn Anderson (no relation although the two have been friends going back to their high school days more than 20 years ago) are both from Rome, GA originally, was given the key to the city and the Mayor called him Pee Wee Hermann instead of Anderson.

Probably the worst Meltzer sentence I've ever seen.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

Die Laughing posted:

Nash is from Detroit. Crow is from Detroit. That's all I got.

I remember a scan from an old WWF Magazine, where superstars list their favorite things, and when Nash was featured - as champion Diesel - he listed Depeche Mode and Stone Temple Pilots as his favorite bands.

Stone Temple Pilots are featured on The Crow soundtrack. Also, as you've said, Nash is from Detroit. My point: when it comes to pop culture, Nash knows what's good. Most likely, he's a fan of the Crow.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
It was probably a halloween party.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Nash rules

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fatherdog posted:

It was probably a halloween party.

Yeah. I initially forgot when Sting debuted his crow makeup, I thought he had it at Fall Brawl 96 which would be super early for Halloween parties, but that was just black and white. It wasn't until mid October that he was remotely crow like and it evolved pretty quickly from there.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Rad R. posted:

I remember a scan from an old WWF Magazine, where superstars list their favorite things, and when Nash was featured - as champion Diesel - he listed Depeche Mode and Stone Temple Pilots as his favorite bands.

haha, I didn't learn who Depeche Mode were until the early 90's when Terry Taylor - as Terrence Taylor in the York Foundation - listed them as one of his favourites in WCW Magazine. He also listed Andrew Dice Clay as his favourite entertainer and I don't know why I've retained this information.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

flashy_mcflash posted:

haha, I didn't learn who Depeche Mode were until the early 90's when Terry Taylor - as Terrence Taylor in the York Foundation - listed them as one of his favourites in WCW Magazine. He also listed Andrew Dice Clay as his favourite entertainer and I don't know why I've retained this information.

The best thing with Depeche Mode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu4JbvTCfvE

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Cromulent posted:

I'm guessing by the domain name that Russo was the one that came up with the phrase "pyro and ballyhoo" which is actually still being used in Raw scripts to this day?

Ballyhoo is actually an industry term for swinging spotlights in a figure eight. Its most common use is in sports and - you guessed it - the circus.

WCW folding was a huge loss to local crews - both they and WWF swung through DC about two or three times a year, took all day to set up, and paid well. A lot of the old hands miss the wars on the basis of the big money that came from them. Smaller companies fit in 2-5 trucks total, so they aren't nearly as lucrative.

Basically the death of WCW cost hundreds of workers a solid paycheck.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

epitasis posted:

Nash rules

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
WCW would still be afloat if we got a Big Sexy Raft.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRafTer posted:

You could only row it five times before it sunk.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I had a Big Sexy Raft but it deflated pulling away from the dock.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

An entire company sank on it for a year, and for the rest of its life, it used that year as an example of why smaller rafts would never work despite the fact that countless people died on it, while smaller rafts were holding people afloa-blah, blah, blah, Kevin Nash sucks.*

*Kevin Nash is actually pretty cool and funny.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MassRafTer posted:

it would run out of air too quicker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

A raft would be less expensive than running on diesel.