Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best result of the earthquake was the information plaque outside the Monument detailing the repairs being made and specifically mentioning the "historic joint filler".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mooyashi posted:

What does Obama need with a starship?

Well as it turns out those fuckers are kicking us out of the ISS.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Given that the article says that the US section provides most of the power and control of the orbit this doesn't seem like a good idea on Russia's part, because if we were to actually take our stuff and go home the station wouldn't be able to survive anyways.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Khisanth Magus posted:

Given that the article says that the US section provides most of the power and control of the orbit this doesn't seem like a good idea on Russia's part, because if we were to actually take our stuff and go home the station wouldn't be able to survive anyways.

Yeah we'll just ride up there on our space shuttle and take it ba....hang on....

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hahahaha. The Tea Party News Network posted this little gem.
They're not hiding it, at all anymore, they genuinely hate people who are different.

http://www.tpnn.com/2014/05/14/law-center-its-torture-to-not-give-transgendered-inmates-hormones/

quote:

The letter alleges that starting in 2012, the Georgia State Department of Corrections violated the Constitution’s ban on cruel and unusual punishment by refusing to validate the delusions of a man who identifies as a woman, who goes by the name Ashley Diamond, by offering hormone treatments.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Restart the Space Race and multiply our current space funding by 10x. We must control asteroids before those drat Ruskies get their hands on them! :science:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Joementum posted:

Maybe the real question is which Obama is in on this?! :ssh:
This one is clearly in regards to Malicious Nazi-Communist Supreme Leader Who Stole The Election, Show Us Your Birth Certificate Obama, as opposed to Dimwit Babby Shits His Diapers, Dude Needs Teleprompters He Isn't Even A Good Orator, Also He's Whipped By His Wife Obama.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

M.c.P posted:

Christ this thread moves fast.

Engineering/Calculus de-rail. The problem with this thread (these threads) is that it's too all encompassing. "US Politics" can apply to pretty much anything. I can't keep up with it either.

poo poo. I just made the thread move too fast, didn't I?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

More importantly they're not going to sell us rockets anymore due to sanctions. We use Russian engines for military (and commercial!) satellites. Russia also has the only in production manned vehicles.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Mo_Steel posted:

Restart the Space Race and multiply our current space funding by 10x. We must control asteroids before those drat Ruskies get their hands on them! :science:

Oh please please please please please please please please please please. :pray:

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

BiggerBoat posted:

Engineering/Calculus de-rail. The problem with this thread (these threads) is that it's too all encompassing. "US Politics" can apply to pretty much anything. I can't keep up with it either.

poo poo. I just made the thread move too fast, didn't I?

I'm going to start replying to derails with stories about Kansas City, Lexington NC, and Texas until every derail becomes a BBQ derail.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Mo_Steel posted:

Two words. Colony drop.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
I, for one, don't mind the derails -- as long as they're interesting. I've actually learned some cool stuff from some of the derails. If derails become too frequent, boring, and nothing of real value is posted as a result of the derail, then I'll support a strict "no derail" policy for these threads.

However, I am getting pretty tired of the STEM vs. LASS derail that's popped up in several threads. We all have our opinions on it, and I've rarely seen people change their views as a result of such a derail.

It's funny too, because for most of middle-class America (what's left of it), it doesn't really matter what degree you have -- in terms of getting a job. The only thing that matters is if you have a degree.

Speaking of derails...

Derail #1: I think a more poignant derail is regarding the over-valuing of degrees. Beyond behavioral indicators, I think aptitude tests (field knowledge, writing skills, etc.) during interviews are a better way to judge a potential hire than if he has a bullet point on his resume saying he has a degree. Also in many cases, a degree is simply an indicator of the economic status of the candidate's parents. Unfortunately, for most large companies with HR firewalls, this doesn't seem to be the case and they don't see it this way.

Derail #2: I registered everythingisscrewed.com and have a goon hosting solution for it. Over the week I'll be building it out using WordPress. So hopefully I'll have a barebones version of it done by next week.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

One thing a lot of people don't realize is that what your degree is in or where you get your degree (outside of a small number of schools) does not really matter, only that you have a degree.

In other words, doing a community college for two years and then transferring into a state school to finish off your degree will save you literally five figures worth of debt compared to going to a small liberal arts school for four years.
A ways back, but this, this, loving this. I will never understand the "You have to have four years at a university" mindset. Most of the classes in the first two years are the loving same no matter where you go, but you can literally get at least two or three (or four) semesters at a community college for the cost of one semester at a university; hell, make that "your entire time at community college" for an expensive private university. My parents currently pay for my college, so "community college for every class you can take before transferring" was the plan from day one; my transfer to university is coming up, and we got a hell of a sticker shock at the semester cost of that university.

It continues to mystify me that two years at a community college and two years at a university is not the standard way of getting a four-year degree. Nobody is going to dig behind your degree and see "Oh you spent your first two years at a community college, your degree is no good, we're not hiring you." I see all the mentions of $40000, $50000, $70000 of debt and it really pisses me off because I know you could probably take at least a $25000 chunk out of that by taking the first two years at a community college.

Prester John posted:

I just wanted to drop in and say that I have been writing a book about my life for some time now and in response to the positive feedback from this board I have posted the first chapter over in Creative Convention.

I've been keeping this project pretty close to my chest and this is the first time I am releasing a part of into the wild. Right now I am looking mostly for feedback on the piece itself, particularly in how well it is written. My creative process for making the book is really different from how I have written my various threads over the years and I am interested in how the results of this new creative process hold up to the results of my previous threads.

Thanks in advance, you guys are wonderful.
Awesome, glad to see you're doing this; I'll give feedback as soon as I can. Just to note, CC is a somewhat low traffic sub-forum, and a lot of the regulars there probably won't be familiar with you like D&D and/or Ask/Tell is, so feedback may be a bit slow. You also might also want to post links in a couple of different threads; this thread moves fast as all hell, and your post is already a page back.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

mooyashi posted:

I'm going to start replying to derails with stories about Kansas City, Lexington NC, and Texas until every derail becomes a BBQ derail.

Delicious, delicious bbq. PM me your recipes please, I have a good georgian style one but I am always looking to expand.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

JT Jag posted:

This one is clearly in regards to Malicious Nazi-Communist Supreme Leader Who Stole The Election, Show Us Your Birth Certificate Obama, as opposed to Dimwit Babby Shits His Diapers, Dude Needs Teleprompters He Isn't Even A Good Orator, Also He's Whipped By His Wife Obama.

I was going for a joke about Michelle taking over, but that works too.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Part of the value of big name U is networking with your peers. Freshman year in particular people get sorted out from their high school selves into their new college personas and cliques. This doesn't happen quite so much at CCs. There's also the quality of peers. I had a poo poo time in CC, especially in lab courses, where my classmates were dumb as bricks and often dropped out midway never to be seen again.

For the practical driven student, the CC transfer path can be a lot cheaper, but it's not without pitfalls.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Also a lot of universities refuse to accept certain community college classes for credits seemingly at random, which can end up costing you an extra semester at the university.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Install Windows posted:

Also a lot of universities refuse to accept certain community college classes for credits seemingly at random, which can end up costing you an extra semester at the university.

Here in California the CCs are pretty good about this. Better even than the CSUs. There's a website showing transfer equivalents, and there are admissions guarantees for transfer students to 4 year institutions.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
In high school I was the typical geek and was a huge loner, having very few friends and not really socializing with anyone, and had pretty much no social skills. I was extremely shy and awkward around everyone.

Then I went to a University and lived in the dorms. Living closely with so many other people kind of forced me to develop social skills and come out of my shell. I made more friends in that first year of college than I had in my entire previous 18 years, and many of those friendships persist until this day, 13 years later(hard to believe it was 13 years ago though). I wouldn't have had this experience if I had gone to a community college and probably would have remained the way I was, no real social skills or ability to work closely with other people, and to express myself to other people.

Install Windows posted:

Yeah, a friend of mine at my university lost about half or more of her credits from her cc that didn't transfer, so they were a huge waste of time and money. Unless you go to a CC that works closely with a local university and plan to go to that university you can get really screwed out of transfer credits.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

fade5 posted:

It continues to mystify me that two years at a community college and two years at a university is not the standard way of getting a four-year degree. Nobody is going to dig behind your degree and see "Oh you spent your first two years at a community college, your degree is no good, we're not hiring you." I see all the mentions of $40000, $50000, $70000 of debt and it really pisses me off because I know you could probably take at least a $25000 chunk out of that by taking the first two years at a community college.

Don't worry, community college tuition rates will start matching 4 year schools soon enough as more students are shunted off to them, while state funding is cut more and more, and they increasingly hire faculty with PhDs who realize they can make more there than as a permanent adjunct at a university.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Then I went to a University and lived in the dorms. Living closely with so many other people kind of forced me to develop social skills and come out of my shell. I made more friends in that first year of college than I had in my entire previous 18 years, and many of those friendships persist until this day, 13 years later(hard to believe it was 13 years ago though). I wouldn't have had this experience if I had gone to a community college and probably would have remained the way I was, no real social skills or ability to work closely with other people, and to express myself to other people.

The plural of anecdote being data and all, I took a few CC classes in high school and I had a much better time being around adult students. I missed that a lot in regular college.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 15, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Install Windows posted:

This is true but if it's covered by an AP test they usually accept it.

I know at least for Texas they also have a list of which community college classes correspond to which classes in the main university.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Jill Abramson has been fired as Executive Editor of the NYT, Dean Baquet is taking over. Abramson was the first woman executive editor of the Times, Baquet will be the first African-American. Reports are that this firing is tied to her confronting the board over the fact that her pay and pension both as Executive Editor and formerly as Managing Editor were "considerably less" than Bill Keller's, who preceded her.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Pope Guilty posted:

But hoo boy, is SF going to see how close they can get.

So, going full shanty town and outskirt favelas a la Brazil?

The bottom is so much deeper than you know.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Remember when the Cold War was over, guys?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Watch Putin start a loving star war.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Berke Negri posted:

Watch Putin start a loving star war.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeK10F6iA8E

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

One of these days the morons in charge of publishing the NYT are going to completely gently caress it up and WHERE WILL WILL SHORTZ GO?!

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
I'll die before I go around asking for the LA Times or a Trib.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

mooyashi posted:

We have The Football Funhouse for a reason, you know. :rolleyes:

(mustard bbq sauce or gtfo)

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

El Rushbo posted:

“The Regime, Hillary, Michelle Obama sympathize with Boko Haram,” Limbaugh said. “They’re blaming the Christian Nigerian government for creating Boko Haram, and they want to get rid of the Nigerian government, because if you do that, if you appease the terror group by getting rid of the group you think is responsible for their existence, then you’ve made peace with them. You’ve made friends with them and they’ll leave us alone, or whatever convoluted thinking. I’m sorry, my ability to comprehend liberalism only goes so far.”

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/05/13/rush-limbaughs-explosive-claim-about-radical-terrorist-group-boko-haram-and-the-obama-regime/

Really love the bolded.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Being that these threads started being about Republican rebuilding (yeah not going to happen). I thought david frums thoughts about relying on older voters to get their ideas enacted could be pertinent.

David Frum posted:

The Republican Advantage Among Older Voters Won’t Last
As life expectancy rises and the population ages, it gets more female and more opposed to entitlement reform. Those are both bad for a party of austerity.

Republicans are expected to score gains in 2014 because of their advantage among older voters, the voters most likely to turn out in midterm elections. That advantage has appeared surprisingly recently—and there is reason to think it won’t last long.

In 1988, voters older than 60 were the age group least likely to vote for George H.W. Bush over Michael Dukakis. The disparity was not huge: Bush would still have won even if the only votes counted had been cast by those older than 60. But it’s still suggestive that Bush ran strongest among the “Silent Generation” cohort just slightly too young to remember the Depression and World War II—and that he performed worst among those who personally remembered the New Deal, who had been of age to benefit from the G.I. Bill, and who now received Social Security and Medicare.

In the presidential election of 2000, Al Gore won 51 percent of the vote among those older than 65. Each younger cohort was incrementally less likely to vote for him. He did worst among those 18 to 24, who broke 47 percent for Gore, 47 percent for Bush and 5 percent for Ralph Nader.

The emergence of the older voters as a massively solid Republican bloc is a post-Obama phenomenon.

The Pew survey explained the trend in a 2011 report. The Silent Generation that voted for Bush in 1988 had retained its conservatism into its retirement years. No news there. The news was among the next cohort, the Baby Boomers: After the year 2000, the Woodstock generation veered abruptly to the right.

In their youth, the Boomers had expressed strongly liberal views about the role of government. In 1989, asked to choose between a bigger government that did more for people versus a smaller government that did less, they opted for bigger government by a margin of 52-40. By 2007, that preference had reversed itself, 52-35, and it has remained reversed through the Obama years. Even more striking was the collapse in trust in government among the Boomers: In 1997, 38 percent of them trusted the government to do the right thing most of the time; by 2009, only 16 percent did so, the same suspicious percentage as their formerly more conservative “silent” elders.

These trends explain the present. But they don’t predict the future.

As human life extends, it no longer makes sense to think of 65 as “old age.” We live in the age of the 65-year-old marathon runner, the 65-year-old rock star, and the 65-year-old new father. (At today’s pace of technological improvement, we may soon be surrounded by 65-year-old new mothers.)

Old age comes later now. But when it comes, it changes people in the same way it always did. Women begin radically to outnumber men. (In 2010, the older-than-80 population included 4 million males and 7.2 million females). Personal savings are exhausted. (Average net worth drops by 25 percent between age 65 and age 75.) Dependency rises. Attitudes to government change.

The older you get, the more you appreciate Social Security and Medicare …

... and the more you mistrust proposals for reform that might affect current recipients. In 2009, 43 percent of people in their twenties were open to reforms in entitlements that might touch those now receiving Social Security and Medicare; only 27 percent of people in the strongly conservative groups older than 65 would consider it.

As yet, few published surveys break out the differences between people in their sixties and eighties. Working politicians notice it, though. As one very successful political operative told me, “The No. 1 concern of every voter over 80 is, ‘Will my check arrive on time?'”

Cultural conservatism appeals strongly to the elderly. The bold economic individualism espoused by so many in the Republican Party since 2009? Not so much. A 501(c)4 group closely connected to GOP leaders and donors conducted a series of focus groups in spring 2012 among older independents in Michigan and Florida, two states Mitt Romney hoped to win. These voters strongly endorsed the entitlements status quo and opposed any changes that would affect them personally. They refused to believe that Medicare caused deficits. (They blamed “wars” instead.)

There will soon be a lot more people digging in against benefits changes. The elderly population is poised to grow hugely quickly; the oldest of the old to grow faster still. Between 2000 and 2010, the total population grew 9.7 percent; the population older than 65, by 15.1 percent; the population older than 80, by 23 percent. That last group now numbers more than 11.2 million—and demographers expect it to grow even faster over the decades ahead.

Here’s at least one obvious way this change will affect older voters. Among all voters 65-plus, women outnumber men only slightly: In 2010, for every 100 women older than 65, the Census counted 95.5 men. The political result? The mild preference in favor of President Obama among older women voters was swamped by the intense hostility of older men.

As we advance from age cohort to age cohort, however, the men dwindle away. At 75, the Census counts 80.2 men for every 100 women; at 85, 58.3 men for every 100 women. The good news for men: Our survival prospects are rising! In 1990, the Census counted only 45.6 men for every 100 women older than 85. The bad news for the Republicans: The disparity in sex-survival rates has huge political effects on the way the old vote.

In 2010, the old as a group voted Republican because the lopsided hostility toward Obama among older men could overwhelm the mild preference for the president among older women. As the population ages, however, the ratio of men to women within the over-65 population should drop. The share of over-80s in the population is rising faster than men’s likelihood of surviving to 80. The changing sex ratio will sway the political outlook of the whole group.

Rutgers University’s Center for American Women and Politics has detailed in surveys women’s rejection of the politics of economic individualism.

Do government programs for the poor help put people on their feet—or lead to dependency for life? Men condemn such programs for inducing dependency 49-44. Women applaud them for setting people on their feet, 60-36.

What do you think is the bigger problem: unfairness in the economy favoring the wealthy, or overregulation that interferes with the free market? Men worry more about overregulation, 49-42. Women worry more about unfairness, 54-35.

When it comes to balancing the budget, 57 percent of men wish to rely principally on cutting programs. Only 50 percent of women agree. Only 22 percent of men wish to rely principally on tax increases, versus 29 percent of women.

This gap in values produces a large gap in voting—a gap that manifests itself at every age.

As the old become older, they become more female. As they become more female, they become more supportive of government’s social-welfare role—and thus more strongly Democratic.

Hazarding long-term political predictions usually ends in embarrassment. Notwithstanding, here goes:

Two decades from now, the United States likely will have a party that appeals strongly to the surging numbers of old people.

Two decades from now, the United States possibly may have a party of low taxes and fiscal austerity.

If so, they won’t be the same party.

I would seriously argue that some of the craziness in the GOP is coming from the establishment. Soon the ideas they have built will become unsellable to the very people they depend on to get vote. Yesthey can always depend on the racist poo poo heads, but even there they'll put their survival (having no savings and having to rely on SS) ahead of loving over the blacks. So they are trying to fight against time to make up for how hosed their ideological crusade is. Now of course they could eventually amke inroads with Millenials, but that would require a economy that the millennials could depend on.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
When powerful media people get in a pissing match I really never believe anything until the dust settles because they're all juiced in with so many other friendly editors, reporters and outlets. The one thing we can be sure of, though, is that you'll be gritting your teeth through a number of vocal fry interviews with her on Fresh Air or Charlie Rose or what have you.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

I read the comments. why did i have to read the comments. I mean gently caress,do these people care anything about but themselves.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 15, 2014

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

ReindeerF posted:

When powerful media people get in a pissing match I really never believe anything until the dust settles because they're all juiced in with so many other friendly editors, reporters and outlets. The one thing we can be sure of, though, is that you'll be gritting your teeth through a number of vocal fry interviews with her on Fresh Air or Charlie Rose or what have you.

The only thing we really know right now is that Sulzberger canned her because neither of them are making any secret of it, though the pay stuff and the idea that she was fired after a lawyer made inquiries about the pay discrepancy on her behalf are all subject to your appropriate skepticism.

There was a definite global "what the gently caress" that followed this that makes me almost more credulous regarding what's coming out, because it seems like people haven't really had time to prep their networks.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

The Warszawa posted:

The only thing we really know right now is that Sulzberger canned her because neither of them are making any secret of it, though the pay stuff and the idea that she was fired after a lawyer made inquiries about the pay discrepancy on her behalf are all subject to your appropriate skepticism.

There was a definite global "what the gently caress" that followed this that makes me almost more credulous regarding what's coming out, because it seems like people haven't really had time to prep their networks.

Has anyone put out a comparison of the NYT's fortunes under each one? I'm not saying that anything is her fault but newspapers are cutting staff and pay everywhere and have been for quite some time.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Le Monde's (female) editor also left today over a workplace dispute. One more and the Times can write a trend piece!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In actual huge US political news, Harry Reid thinks it is time to reconsider the AUMF. Obviously an AUMF repeal faces a 0% chance of passing the current Congress and something south of 0% at passing the next Congress, but still a very significant move for a Senator not named Rand Paul.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

JT Jag posted:

Two words. Colony drop.

If this means I get to pilot a Gundam then it's a sacrifice worth making. :911::hf::japan:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarasenko Tank
Apr 17, 2011

Joementum posted:

In actual huge US political news, Harry Reid thinks it is time to reconsider the AUMF. Obviously an AUMF repeal faces a 0% chance of passing the current Congress and something south of 0% at passing the next Congress, but still a very significant move for a Senator not named Rand Paul.

Harry Reid thinks 9/11 was a long time ago? It's been less then two years!

• Locked thread