Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

The rest of the bosses (Including Nashandra) are just absolutely... dull. I barely remembered I had fought the Skeleton Lords 10 minutes into Harvest Valley, and the entire Earthen Peak -> OIK is completely unremarkable.

The bosses in DS1 had a lot of problems, especially design-wise, but they had some really cool visuals and presentation most of the time.

I thought medusa could've been a lot more than "Dragonrider that occasionally uses a spell" but I really loved the chariot, skeleton lords, OIK, and several other bosses. So I guess you're wrong?

OIK is actually one of my favorite bosses because I took it as an apology for Ceaseless Discharge being a steaming pile of poo poo that you either got lucky with on the first encounter or tanked with a shield.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Chariot, Last Giant, Smelter Demon, Ruins Sentinels, and Demon of Song were all fairly memorable and fun for me. Other than that...ehhh, mostly busy work.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Control Volume posted:

Executioner's Chariot is still the best and most memorable boss fight and I will hear no arguments.

Also one of the easiest when you understand how the fight works.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

The best boss in the game for me was Darklurker. Cool design, cool mechanics; but the hitboxes on her melee was kind of terrible and tiny.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'll say it: Velstadt is better than Garl Vinland. :colbert:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'll say it: Velstadt is better than Garl Vinland. :colbert:

Well he certainly looks a lot cooler. But the thematics of 5-3 in demon souls take a poo poo on everything in both Dark souls 1 and 2, IMO.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

Well he certainly looks a lot cooler. But the thematics of 5-3 in demon souls take a poo poo over everything in both Dark souls 1 and 2, IMO.

Oh for sure, 5-3 in totality is amazing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Are any of Mytha's weapons worth using? Or the gargoyle bident or bone scythe? I may just beat the whole drat game again with the drangleic sword. I'm at 35 str and 20 dex atm btw.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 15, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Night Blade posted:

Ignoring the "FAT HUMANOID DEMON" cop out

Would you consider that more or less of a cop out than them recycling the same boss design 3 times? At least Dark Souls 2 didn't do that.

I'm glad this game doesn't have a Vanguard/Asylum Demon equivalent. Hate those fat bastards.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Tallgeese posted:

All the (itemfind stuff) raise Item Discovery by the same amount, because they all call the exact same special effect. I cannot find the base of the stat or how much they raise it by (because Item Discovery's meaning has always been very hard to find), but it's not important.

Unlike Dark Souls 1, you are allowed to stack multiples of the same special effect. So, just use them all.

Any way of finding out if the effect changes/gets stronger as an item is reinforced? Good to know either way, thanks for using your evil powers for good.

Night Blade posted:

The best boss in the game for me was Darklurker. Cool design, cool mechanics; but the hitboxes on her melee was kind of terrible and tiny.

I think Darklurker's AI was broken for me. I literally stood still and pissed a half-dozen Great Lightning Spears at it before it split (only needing to dodge one laser) and then finished killing it without taking any damage. Considering everyone was saying lurker was one of the more interesting boss fights, it was a massive letdown.

edit

@bob - I don't consider standing in one place about one roll-length back from it and tossing offhand lightning spears to really be cheesing. I wanted it to switch to a melee fight so I could use my shiny barbed club. I seriously did not have to move at all from that spot except for a single laser dodge. Hell, I even stopped zapping for a handful of seconds after the split just to see if anything would happen. Terribly disappointing fight.

sushibandit fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 15, 2014

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Internet Kraken posted:

Would you consider that more or less of a cop out than them recycling the same boss design 3 times? At least Dark Souls 2 didn't do that.

I'm glad this game doesn't have a Vanguard/Asylum Demon equivalent. Hate those fat bastards.

For all the complaints about DaS2 it never reached the level of anger and frustration caused by Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Kraken posted:

Technically it recycles Ornstein and the gargoyles from the first game

But the Chariot boss is easily the best puzzle/gimmick boss in the entire series. Wicked cool design, gimmick that isn't too unfairly punitive, actual boss fight on the back end.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Yes, Dark Souls 2 only did it four times! Also; please get off my dick.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sushibandit posted:

I think Darklurker's AI was broken for me. I literally stood still and pissed a half-dozen Great Lightning Spears at it before it split (only needing to dodge one laser) and then finished killing it without taking any damage. Considering everyone was saying lurker was one of the more interesting boss fights, it was a massive letdown.

Lurker's one of the hardest fights in the game if you don't cheese him with lightning.

It's too bad "just make them eat lightning" is the solution to every boss in the game, just like "use soul ray" was the solution in DeS.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
The any% speed record was just set at 49m11s. :psyduck:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Lurker is also pretty easy if you hold a Chaos Tempest for when it starts to split and cast right then so that the giant flame pillars tag both halves multiple times.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

turtlecrunch posted:

Wow, that's quite an improvement over the old record. Do you have a link?

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Lurker is also pretty easy if you hold a Chaos Tempest for when it starts to split and cast right then so that the giant flame pillars tag both halves multiple times.

I did him as pure melee and still had a bit of an easy time; but I appreciated it's design and mechanics. For the second time in the game, I was encouraged to unlock from an enemy to dodge something; and mix my dodges with my blocks.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Broken Cog posted:

Wow, that's quite an improvement over the old record. Do you have a link?

This is the channel http://www.twitch.tv/noobest
He did say he would put it on youtube eventually.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

sushibandit posted:

Darklurker stuff

drat, you missed out, as a dex build melee he was pretty fun with his teleporting shenanigans and a bunch of different attacks to dodge.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Night Blade posted:

Yes, Dark Souls 2 only did it four times! Also; please get off my dick.

Except it didn't. There was one recycled boss in the form of the Double Dragonriders. Counting Gargoyles and Ornstein isn't fair since neither of them fight exactly like their Dark Souls counterpart. Also you need to chill out.

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's too bad "just make them eat lightning" is the solution to every boss in the game, just like "use soul ray" was the solution in DeS.

Making Mirror Knight eat lightning can be difficult, but that doesn't stop people from trying.

VVV He's remade as an early game boss. That's quite different from his Dark Souls midgame encounter since you'll have less equipment to deal with him. He's not going to be hard compared to his previous incarnation when you can fight him so early.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 15, 2014

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
yeah ornstein totally surprised me with his new move where he uhm... he uses his spear to.. that new attack where he li.... oh he changed his lightning into darkness!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Babyface Mingo posted:

yeah ornstein totally surprised me with his new move where he uhm... he uses his spear to.. that new attack where he li.... oh he changed his lightning into darkness!

Him being there is the surprise.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Babyface Mingo posted:

I really enjoyed the Old Dragonslayer, I thought it was a cool surprise to see him again.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Maybe it was the lack of a 100% shield or the fact I fought him right around the time I would of fought the taurus demon in DS1 with the stats to match, but he seemed harder in DS2.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
Merciless Roenna scared the poo poo out of me, not gonna lie.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

kazil posted:

If you're at a total loss

You should have picked up a Fragrant Branch of Yore. This will let you turn petrified NPCs back to life.

Ok figured out what you were talking about but now I have a question. There's another guy at the top of La Bastille who I could use it on too. Does it matter who I save first? I took a quick look at a wiki to see if there were any more I could get but the location names don't mean anything to me yet.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mondlicht posted:

My PvP character is simply named "Morgana", and I had a person message me after an invasion telling me that he thought I was an NPC at first.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Maybe it was the lack of a 100% shield or the fact I fought him right around the time I would of fought the taurus demon in DS1 with the stats to match, but he seemed harder in DS2.

He's a mobility boss, like Smelter Demon. All of his attacks are easy to avoid and punish by rolling forward or strafing constantly to his open hand except the buttsmash, which is easier to back out of and survive being hit by than the one in DkS. I basically never block so I learned him that way and now he's one of the easiest fights in the whole game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

He discovered a new Shrine of Winter skip glitch. Being able to skip about half of the game shaves off a lot of time.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Regy Rusty posted:

Ok figured out what you were talking about but now I have a question. There's another guy at the top of La Bastille who I could use it on too. Does it matter who I save first? I took a quick look at a wiki to see if there were any more I could get but the location names don't mean anything to me yet.

The guy in the Bastille will not give you access to any new areas.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Regy Rusty posted:

If you chat with licia or whatever and go to Harvest Valley you can grab a ton more of those branches.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Mondlicht posted:

Wait, poo poo she's a NPC? :negative:

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Are any of Mytha's weapons worth using? Or the gargoyle bident or bone scythe? I may just beat the whole drat game again with the drangleic sword. I'm at 35 str and 20 dex atm btw.

Mytha's Bent Blade makes a decent crit weapon. I think its bonus is about as big as the basic dagger, with (I think) the bonus of adding poison/toxic build up. I needed two backstabs on the mutants in Sinner's Rise to get them poisoned, but it was a nice surprise. I'll be keeping it in my back pocket if there's no other boss weapons I want to upgrade.

Jessie Tanner
Jan 18, 2013

Genocyber posted:

He discovered a new Shrine of Winter skip glitch. Being able to skip about half of the game shaves off a lot of time.

The last WR was 50:09 and also used the shrine skip, they've been using it for awhile now.

Voluspa
Mar 17, 2006

HURRRRley

Lalus posted:

C:/Users/YOURNAME/AppData/Roaming/DarkSoulsII

its in a folder in there, named DARKSII0000.sl2 on mine

this worked, thanks :)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

StashAugustine posted:

Wait, poo poo she's a NPC? :negative:

Even if you're unsure whether an invader is NPC/human based on their name on behavior (which should give it away nine times out of ten), you should always be able to figure out an NPC by their durability. NPCs are built like loving tanks for what they are wearing and will take far more hits to chew through than a player with equivalent gear (just like Roenna).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You won't notice that if you punt her off the side of the cliff though :v:

Is there any difference in the 3 status in the BoB arena?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 15, 2014

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Internet Kraken posted:

They link to different arenas. The left most statue is the bridge, the one on the right is the circular arena with the tower in the center, and the middle one is lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Internet Kraken posted:

You won't notice that if you punt her off the side of the cliff though :v:

Seems like the right favors the tower level, the middle one the double-decker, and the left one the bridge.

That could totally be made up though.