Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I am not (yet?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

BraveUlysses posted:

I am not (yet?)

well then just email me

damiancurry at gmail

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

some texas redneck posted:

Except it's not illegal to drive barefoot anywhere in the US? It's illegal to ride motorcycles without shoes in many states though.

Well i"ll be a son of a bitch. I swear my drivers ed teacher told us that.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I just want to read the drat thing. I can't even find a copy to borrow from the library.

Have you tried talking to the people in the interlibrary loan office at your library? That's how I got my hands on a copy to read. It's a really cool book with some great stories and pictures but not hundreds-of-dollars good. An ILL request usually costs a few bucks at the most.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

My bald rear end head is sun burnt as poo poo. Logged 30 hours since Monday. Got tomorrow off for an interview for a telecom company. Called the solar panel place I had an interview with on Saturday today and the receptionist said they haven't had time to go through all the applications yet. Another telecom company that my buddy works at is hiring. Called them today and they said to call back on Monday.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Terrible Robot posted:

Have you tried talking to the people in the interlibrary loan office at your library? That's how I got my hands on a copy to read. It's a really cool book with some great stories and pictures but not hundreds-of-dollars good. An ILL request usually costs a few bucks at the most.

My local library system can't get it at all. I used to volunteer there and still couldn't get a copy no matter what. Apparantly there used to be a copy in circulation but with the prices that book commands its no surprise it was stolen long ago. I did get a kick rear end parking placard from my time there that saves me a few bucks in meter money whenever I go there though.

I really, really want to read that book though. All the excerpts I've read from it are awesome. It really is the coolest airplane ever created.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

You know I never thought to check for it at the library. I imagine the lab library has a copy or two, they seem to have every other hard to find military/technical/historical book out there. I think I can check out books...guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow morning.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Except it's not illegal to drive barefoot anywhere in the US? It's illegal to ride motorcycles without shoes in many states though.

The cop that gave me a lecture on that in Michigan years ago gives me doubt as to the accuracy of that. And TBH, riding a motorcycle in thongs (FOOTWEAR) or in bare feet just..... ugh. That has sooo much potential to go wrong in a painful way.

Rules against bearefoot driving do make sense tho. It's def. illegal here not to have approriate footware while driving, not that it's ever stopped me from driving with just socks most of the time.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Sooo I have a question for the more knowledgeable and up-to-date computer guys in here. I've been (trying to) build a gaming computer for the last year. Back in the day when I was more involved in the computing scene AMD was King poo poo of gently caress Mountain when it came to processors and I love the hell out of my old Athlon XP based rig, which I still keep around for running older games. I intended to go with an AMD FX- series processor for my new system and purchased a mobo with that thought in mind. But all I seem to see in SH/SC and YOSPOS is post after post about how much AMD and their FX platform is utter garbage. I've tried actually wading through the SH/SC thread to get more information but I left with a migraine and feeling even more confused.

Bottom line this poo poo for me: will I hate life and my new computer if I get an AMD chip? This system would be primarily used for gaming and general-computer-fuckery.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

NitroSpazzz posted:

You know I never thought to check for it at the library. I imagine the lab library has a copy or two, they seem to have every other hard to find military/technical/historical book out there. I think I can check out books...guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow morning.

there are lots of :filez: out there for it if you can't find it just want to read it.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
About a month ago, a bunch of departments got moved around between the two buildings at my work, and all the QA office staff moved over to the new building. One of my coworkers used to do all the calibration for the calipers and mics and depth gauges and poo poo that all the machinists use to check parts out in the shop. And by calibrate I mean he put a sticker on them every 3 months and did literally nothing else. So when he moved over to the new building he passed off all the calibration duties on to me. He left me about 60 tools to calibrate because he was several weeks behind doing even his half assed poo poo, and there is no way I'm just going to stick a new sticker on something without checking to make sure it's actually accurate. I'm already busy as hell with everything else that I do in the QA department so I pretty much only get time to calibrate stuff if I stay late or work on Saturday.

About a week ago he comes over all officious like and asks why I haven't caught up on the calibration yet and updated the spreadsheet and poo poo. Told him I was busy and I'd get to it when I had the time, etc etc. I get an email today from the lady doing our internal audit, that had an email chain from my coworker. In it he basically throws me under the bus and says something to the effect of, "maybe an internal finding on our audit will make him/them (my coworkers in the lab) understand the importance of the calibration schedule." What in the actual gently caress? If you want to be lazy and poo poo at your job and not do anything all day, cool as long as it doesn't prevent me from doing my job. You want to try and backstab me because I don't shirk my job duties, there's going to be some serious issues.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Just nabbed the last Baja Blast at the Shell next to my house. Sweet sweet goon nectar.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
My :siren: librarian girlfriend :siren: just texted me this:

Thanks for the book recommendation!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Obligatory "that's one big book LOL" joke.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
It's the large-print edition.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Terrible Robot posted:

Sooo I have a question for the more knowledgeable and up-to-date computer guys in here. I've been (trying to) build a gaming computer for the last year. Back in the day when I was more involved in the computing scene AMD was King poo poo of gently caress Mountain when it came to processors and I love the hell out of my old Athlon XP based rig, which I still keep around for running older games. I intended to go with an AMD FX- series processor for my new system and purchased a mobo with that thought in mind. But all I seem to see in SH/SC and YOSPOS is post after post about how much AMD and their FX platform is utter garbage. I've tried actually wading through the SH/SC thread to get more information but I left with a migraine and feeling even more confused.

Bottom line this poo poo for me: will I hate life and my new computer if I get an AMD chip? This system would be primarily used for gaming and general-computer-fuckery.

In realistic benchmarks, the highest end AMD chip (the $329 FX-9590 with a loving 225W TDP that requires water cooling at an additional cost) is roughly two thirds the speed of the i5-4670K ($239 with a 85W TDP). That is stock versus stock, and the i5-4670K overclocks much better than the FX-9590, as the FX-9590 is essentially a factory overclocked top bin die.

tl;dr: loving buy the Intel chip.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Terrible Robot posted:

Once Intel gave up on the Pentium 4 and went to the Core processors AMD lost their competitive edge for desktop processors. I don't know if you'll hate life though. I haven't bought any computer parts for a few years.

Edit: I'm slow.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Terrible Robot posted:

I'm late to the party, but absolutely go with Intel. I jumped ship from AMD a bit over 2 years ago and haven't looked back - AMD's fine for low end stuff, also for space heaters; but their high end stuff just doesn't hold a candle to the i5/i7.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Terrible Robot posted:

I've only had AMD chips for the past decade but my current PC just poo poo the bed and I went Intel* without even looking at what AMD has these days because god drat the hosed up bad with that last architecture.

*Can't wait till Friday when my parts arrive :fap:

Galler fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 15, 2014

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
The only reason to go with AMD is if you're really penny pinching. AMD's stuff is usually $10-20 cheaper in the under-$100 range, and for a super budget build they're competitive.

On the other hand, if you actually want performance and have a little bit of a budget, an i5 is going to blow anything AMD has at a comparable price point out of the water, and consume less power doing it. If you want to overclock, make sure you get a K version; Intel locks the multipliers on the others.

I've got a 3-year-old Sandy Bridge machine that is plenty fast still, and I haven't needed to overclock it to stay competitive. For what that's worth. Not that I play many games anymore.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

AMD's fine for low end stuff, also for space heaters; but their high end stuff just doesn't hold a candle to the i5/i7.

The problem is that they hold way too many candles

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Raluek posted:

If you want to overclock, make sure you get a K version; Intel locks the multipliers on the others.

I've got a 3-year-old Sandy Bridge machine that is plenty fast still, and I haven't needed to overclock it to stay competitive. For what that's worth. Not that I play many games anymore.

That's one thing that's fantastic about K chips - all you do to overclock is change the multiplier. No playing with hundreds of toggles, no playing with voltages, no playing with FSB speeds. It just.. works. You CAN play with voltages to squeeze out another 200-300 MHz, but at that point, it's just :flaccid: waving.

Sandy Bridge here too - i5-2500k, was at 4.4 ghz for nearly 2 years until I made the jump from BIOS to UEFI, won't boot above 4.3 anymore. This PC is massive overkill for what I do (except for RAM, I could use more).

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

That's one thing that's fantastic about K chips - all you do to overclock is change the multiplier. No playing with hundreds of toggles, no playing with voltages, no playing with FSB speeds. It just.. works. You CAN play with voltages to squeeze out another 200-300 MHz, but at that point, it's just :flaccid: waving.

Sandy Bridge here too - i5-2500k, was at 4.4 ghz for nearly 2 years until I made the jump from BIOS to UEFI, won't boot above 4.3 anymore. This PC is massive overkill for what I do (except for RAM, I could use more).

I've got the same CPU. Mine'll do 4.5 on stock voltage, but I got it up to 5.0 by bumping the voltage way up. I keep it at stock, though; I don't need it to be any faster really. I'm bottlenecked by other components in the machine as it is.

I agree that it's great that you just have to play with the FSB and occasionally voltage; no FSB or timings or anything to futz with. Really straightforward. Set BCLK and leave it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I run my i5 2500k is 4.8ghz, it's over 3 years old now, and there's really no reason to look for an upgrade at this point.

Maybe when there's an affordable 8 core with same performance/core.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I wish I still had the screenshot I took back in 2011... taskmgr.exe performance tab showing 4 rows of 16 CPU graphs each and 137GB (well, 137 billion, 128 actual GB) of RAM, around 30% in use.

Those were the days :v:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Hai guys :radcat:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I was planning on using an Intel chip on my gaming/HTPC/Mediaserver build (first PC I had built since the Barton core days), but my brother had just thrown an FX-8120 and some sort of watercooler-in-a-box at his big ridiculous LED-filled :pcgaming: box so I got his old FX-6100 along with the stock 8120 cooler (copper base/aluminum fins with a bunch of heat pipes, the one that came with the 6100 was basically identical to the old Vantec AeroFlow II) for free, so gently caress it I built off that.
I'm glad it was free, and I'm goddamn glad I got the heatpipe cooler. Load temps are low-mid 60s on the chip and low 30s in the case (Silverstone ML03B with 4 80mm Panaflo L1As, undervolted to 1500rpm). I haven't actually put a real graphics card in it yet so I don't have first-hand gaming experience on the chip but it did pretty drat good in my brother's computer, and it seems to be doing really well on FAH. But gently caress me I thought 50 degrees was hot for a CPU, I poo poo my pants when I saw how hot this thing runs.

I remember reading something about AMD switching to some really lovely design and manufacturing processes shortly after the 64-bit stuff rolled around, and that's right around the time they started blowing rear end. Intel still does poo poo right apparently.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 15, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A few years back we sold my brother's '94 Civic to a friend. It's in need of some work but she's scoring a new car from her parents and she was just gonna junk it. I've just made a deal to buy it for the scrap value of $350. It needs a hood, exhaust and some TLC but it runs strong as ever. It's a 5 speed so it'll give me a car to finally teach the girlfriend on.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

My old Athlon 64 X2 5200 ran at 80+ under load, 45ish at idle.

That was with a Hyper212 cooler.

I have the Hyper212+ (basically a 120mm version of the same cooler) on this; I've yet to see it break 50C unless I fire up Prime95 (it'll peak around 70C after about 30-45 minutes). Idle hangs out around 28-32C, though it pretty much never sees idle these days. Always recording something from the TV tuner, always recording from 3 different cameras, etc. Right now, with 1 live TV stream and 1 TV stream recording, plus the camera server, torrent client, and a billion chrome tabs, has the cpu bouncing between 32-36C.

That's with 2 case fans (1 intake, 1 exhaust, both 120mm). The case temp is a hair above room temp, and thanks to the top-mount exhaust fan (which sits literally directly over the CPU cooler), pretty much always stays that way.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 15, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
lol the last-gen Pentium in my laptop hits 83c just loading a youtube video and idles at like 54c. But, it's a Pentium so that's normal.

Thanks for all the good replies (and thanks to Phone for the IRC help), looks like I'll be dumping the mobo I have and going with an i5K of some kind.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Why would someone start weed wacking at 8:40pm outside my window. ARRRRRRRRRRRRR

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Terrible Robot posted:

lol the last-gen Pentium in my laptop hits 83c just loading a youtube video and idles at like 54c. But, it's a Pentium so that's normal.

My Chromebook's CPU fan sounds like a hair dryer if I even sneeze at YouTube. Or Netflix. Or even Google Maps. :haw: It's a Celeron of some sort.

When I had Linux on it (Chrubuntu), it would regularly throttle way down and log a bunch of stuff related to CPU temp.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CharlesM posted:

Why would someone start weed wacking at 8:40pm outside my window. ARRRRRRRRRRRRR

The grass has barely started growing here, and my neighbor has already "mowed" their lawn at least 4 times. in the last 2 weeks.

My Chromebook's CPU fan sounds like a hair dryer if I even sneeze at YouTube. Or Netflix. Or even Google Maps. :haw: It's a Celeron of some sort.

When I had Linux on it (Chrubuntu), it would regularly throttle way down and log a bunch of stuff related to CPU temp.

my rmbp is the exact opposite. It sits at 90*c, but the fans don't turn on.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I share a wall with someone who thinks blaring Intergalactic at roughly the volume of a jet engine taking off at 9 PM is appropriate behavior.

Edit: I don't mean the album Hello Nasty either, just loving Intergalactic on repeat over and loving over for at least 15 minutes now. That's like 5 plays.

Sinestro fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 15, 2014

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Powershift posted:

The grass has barely started growing here, and my neighbor has already "mowed" their lawn at least 4 times. in the last 2 weeks.

What the gently caress man, it was snowing just two weekends ago.

It must be a crack den, call the RCMP.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Initialdave, check your PMs please.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Sinestro posted:

I share a wall with someone who thinks blaring Intergalactic at roughly the volume of a jet engine taking off at 9 PM is appropriate behavior.

Edit: I don't mean the album Hello Nasty either, just loving Intergalactic on repeat over and loving over for at least 15 minutes now. That's like 5 plays.

Crank up No Sleep Till Brooklyn and drown them out :v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

E: ^^^^ Or buy a huge subwoofer and crank some Ryksopp ("So Easy" is particularly good) and/or Trentemller (I recommend "Vamp").

Sinestro posted:

Intergalactic is by far the best track on that album, I'd say it's completely justified.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:45 on May 15, 2014

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
We lost a bunch of phases of power so most of the shop has no power, the server room is out since it's on 220, half the offices are down. The internet works but literally nothing else. Wonder how long I'm going to be sitting here until they send us home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
If you have a micro center near you, consider going there for your motherboard and processor. They have really good bundle deals on those and overall pretty good prices.

• Locked thread