Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Obviously the most critical thing to get from the Zen store is the Seven of Nine breastsuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
After you have your EC cap increase you should spend your zen on more character slots for contra mules. Farm contra, feed them to the mules, get zen, buy all the poo poo.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Obviously the most critical thing to get from the Zen store is the Seven of Nine breastsuit race of Space Cats, buy both of them.

Fixed that for you.

Just repeating what people have already said, EC Increase then more character slots so you can get more Dil and buy everything. If you're not wanting to farm or whatever just get costume slots cause barbie dress up is the best part of any game.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lagomorphic posted:

After you have your EC cap increase you should spend your zen on more character slots for contra mules. Farm contra, feed them to the mules, get zen, buy all the poo poo.

I can't remember: what level does an alt have to be to go hang out next to DS9 and run 'Disable Human Freighter' over and over again?

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

MikeJF posted:

First thing is the Energy Cap Credit Increase. After that... probably the account bank, but for that I'd actually recommend subscribing for a month, which unlocks that and a bunch of other things permanently. After that, depends on what you're feeling you need. More characters? More boffs? More bank?

Also, if you have a KDF character, a Vandal destroyer so you can steal that sweet sweet plasmonic leech console.

Subscribing is an interesting idea. Do you know what stuff unlocks permanently? http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/star-trek-online/detail/3026713 isn't too specific about what will stay unlocked when the subscription lapses.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Should be everything you unlocked while leveling except the EC cap

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

MikeJF posted:

First thing is the Energy Cap Credit Increase. After that... probably the account bank, but for that I'd actually recommend subscribing for a month, which unlocks that and a bunch of other things permanently. After that, depends on what you're feeling you need. More characters? More boffs? More bank?

Also, if you have a KDF character, a Vandal destroyer so you can steal that sweet sweet plasmonic leech console.

The console from the Valdore zen store warbird is also invaluable if you have a chance to get it.
http://sto.gamepedia.com/Console_-_Universal_-_Shield_Absorptive_Frequency_Generator

Morglon posted:

Should be everything you unlocked while leveling except the EC cap

I subbed for one month and just unsubbed today. I did purchase the EC cap removal prior to subbing, I'm assuming it should stay in place - is this correct? I've heard everything else remains as well after unsubbing.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks
right, the usual advice is "sub for one month, spend the 500zen they give you on the EC cap, unsub" The bank slots and stuff all stick so you're p much golden after that.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Does this game have an actual end game, or is it still stuck at the rep grind for items?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Zotix posted:

Does this game have an actual end game, or is it still stuck at the rep grind for items?

Endgame is disco and disco related fashion.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Zotix posted:

What is an endgame meant to be.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Thom12255 posted:

More challenging content? Last I played it was simple STF's and such, that you'd queue for over and over. Are there any more difficult ones released?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Thom12255 posted:

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

The endgame is to go and annoy pubbies and beat them down in PvP, for this is the noblest cause.

bubbles depo
Jul 25, 2006

doot doot!

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

The endgame is to go and annoy pubbies and beat them down in PvP, for this is the noblest cause.

This. It's this all the way down.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

There can only be one shitlord!

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Low level PVP is pretty hilarious if you can find an opponent.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Got T4 undine rep earlier. Messed around with the set stuff.

First, the blast 3p power from the shield set doesn't do jack poo poo to undine rifts or fluidic puddles. At least the other effects seem to work fine. The warp core also doesn't seem to do poo poo against the forced movement in fluidic space.
Second, the turret barrage 3p looks to be a ten second buff on the heavy turret that turns it into a short range 360-degree AoE that guarantees the bio-molecular debuff. Problem is, it looks like it's overwritten by the CRF/CSV buff so you basically have to go out of your way to get a chance to use it.

Yeah, they seem like poo poo, sorry. :shrug: At least the individual items are still pretty good.

Zotix posted:

STO is a super-casual game for babies. If you want hardcore raiding or whatever the gently caress, it's not going to be here. Which is for the best anyway, there's enough of that bullshit in other MMOs.

Asimo fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 14, 2014

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

Asimo posted:

Got T4 undine rep earlier. Messed around with the set stuff.

The warp core also doesn't seem to do poo poo against the forced movement in fluidic space.

well i wasnt likely to get rid of [AMP] but that seals it so thanks

bubbles depo
Jul 25, 2006

doot doot!
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1117571

Our new favorite person has made a new thread with a little stab at us near the end of the OP.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

300 Earth Dollars posted:

right, the usual advice is "sub for one month, spend the 500zen they give you on the EC cap, unsub" The bank slots and stuff all stick so you're p much golden after that.
Is this retroactive now? Back when I played I recall it not being so if you made it to 50 and then subbed you lost out on all the free inventory slots.

Zotix posted:

More challenging content? Last I played it was simple STF's and such, that you'd queue for over and over. Are there any more difficult ones released?
Well it's still queuing for STFs over and over, but now there's at least more than 3 ground and 3 space ones!

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

Insert name here posted:

Is this retroactive now? Back when I played I recall it not being so if you made it to 50 and then subbed you lost out on all the free inventory slots.

I dunno actually. At 50 I traded for zen, bought slots, found out about subbing even being a thing, subbed for the month, asked for my inventory/bank slots zen back, got it.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Insert name here posted:

I'm pretty sure it was always retroactive. :raise: It definitely is these days though, yeah. The only thing that isn't retroactive are the respec tokens you get at rank up since those are given by the one-time quests, so you can't go back and redo them if you finished them while subbed. The energy credit cap increase doesn't persist either, but as noted earlier you get 500 zen for subbing and the EC cap increase is 500z, so...

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Any reason why I might lose energy credits and gpl for absolutely no reason? I didn't spend them on anything, they just disappeared. Some kind of rollback? :iiam:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Did you do duty officer missions that cost them and didn't notice?

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Pretty sure I did not though it is a possibility, I suppose.

Sleepy District
Jun 20, 2008
Do you have Cryptic Guard enabled? It emails you if you log in from a different PC - it can be turned on in your account management and I would recommend it to everyone.
If it's all of your EC and Latinum someone may have accessed your account, if it's only a limited amount then I think you may have spent them on DOff missions as Asmio suggested.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

MikeJF posted:

I meant that more as a first thing to aim for as a generic gear build. (Point taken re: the Nukara console, though). Simply because the question's been coming up in chat quite a few times lately as newish people have been getting into the rep grind and asking what they'll be wanting to get from the various reps, and it might be better to point them to this rather than have a chaotic mess of things linked in chat or them going to find the outdated guides, which a few have.

I guess I'm one of those concerning the outdated guide. I thought the omega deflector and engine was still a thing for tetyron glider. What happened to make assimilated better? I would ask about the undine, but looks like asimov already covered some of it.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
These days the added shield damage from the glider proc isn't really needed what with massive boosts from embassy tac consoles and the like. The assimilated 2 piece passive hull heal is very handy though as well as giving you faster sector space travel.

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

Thom12255 posted:

There isn't any end-game other than waiting for another rep to grind or a new lockbox.

That isn't necessarily a bad thing, I don't think MMOs should have end-games, what you are doing at the start should be what you are doing at the end. I don't like to slog through a game only to find a totally different one waiting for me in the end.

That being said, the level process is radically different to the content in the end, there isn't a whole lot of story content once you finish the missions.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

To be honest, given the levelling progression rate in this game, 1-50 is practically the tutorial.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Sleepy District posted:

Do you have Cryptic Guard enabled?

I deliberately do not have this. On the off chance someone hijacks my account, it will be hilarious to watch JHEC and Bugship markets tank.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Aleth posted:

These days the added shield damage from the glider proc isn't really needed what with massive boosts from embassy tac consoles and the like. The assimilated 2 piece passive hull heal is very handy though as well as giving you faster sector space travel.

I still use it. I like the raw stats better for one and by the time the extra hull heal would become relevant I'm likely dead anyway.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

IPCRESS posted:

I deliberately do not have this. On the off chance someone hijacks my account, it will be hilarious to watch JHEC and Bugship markets tank.

I'll give you an A->W core for a bugship.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'll give you 150 contraband for one of those bugships.

I decided to join a pubbie fleet on one of my alts. They were talking about ships, calling the Gal-X is amazing, things like that.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The Gal-X is the best ship

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
Best at identifying who is worst.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Subyng posted:

Any reason why I might lose energy credits and gpl for absolutely no reason? I didn't spend them on anything, they just disappeared. Some kind of rollback? :iiam:
Have you transwarped to missions (using transwarps that aren't part of your T-key list)?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I... don't understand why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

MikeJF posted:

I... don't understand why.

The game is offended by your ship's color scheme and doesn't want to risk you making any more characters flying things like that.

• Locked thread