Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

psyer posted:

According to Tony Barrett of The Times, 15 players may leave Liverpool during the summer.

Kinda surprised that Glen Johnson isn't on that list. I do hope he stays though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rats off to ya
Jul 22, 2008

pik_d posted:

This seems a bit off because of City's 2/3 games in hand that they had for months. City were not top between the 26th and 31st game days, but I guess would have been if they didn't have games in hand.

yep that's the point. The table is fake.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

rats off to ya posted:

yep that's the point. The table is fake.

Well then wrong thread mate :owned:

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
What was the deal with those games in hand? Why were they not played immediately at the next available midweek opportunity or where those dates really the soonest?

rats off to ya
Jul 22, 2008

cheese posted:

What was the deal with those games in hand? Why were they not played immediately at the next available midweek opportunity or where those dates really the soonest?

uefa gets butthurt when league games are played during weeks with champions league matches.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

cheese posted:

The first game in hand was from weather I believe, but the others were because City were in four competitions longer than anyone else, so they had midweek games far more often than anyone else.

I don't know if the last week of the season was literally the first chance they had, but you have to take into account the other teams fixtures too so it's not as easy as "Well City didn't play this day, why didn't they have it then?".

Edit: Also what rats off to ya said, but a lot of it is that City were in all the competitions for a long time.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
City should ship out Navas and Negredo and get a good goalkeeper

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

vaginal culture posted:

City should ship out Navas and Negredo and get a good goalkeeper

If you had a TV maybe you'd have seen how good they are.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

cheese posted:

Because organising fixtures is more complicated than that. You have to factor in potential FA Cup replays, additional policing, which other teams are playing in the same area in different leagues/sports, or other events that might cause traffic, plus which games Sky and BT have bought for particular timeslots etc. etc. Plus UEFA are idiots with dumb requirements

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

rats off to ya posted:

uefa gets butthurt when league games are played during weeks with champions league matches.
Ahhh it must be the CL games/other TV rights thing. City played their last non-Premier League game on March 12th and Aston Villa, who were their opponents for the midweek makup game in the final week of the league, had their last non-Premier League game on loving Jan 4th.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

pik_d posted:

If you had a TV maybe you'd have seen how good they are.

They really went downhill fast. Negredo couldn't get a game in the run-in, and rightly so.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

vaginal culture posted:

They really went downhill fast. Negredo couldn't get a game in the run-in, and rightly so.

It's OK, next time Dzeko decides to be poo poo for two months Negredo will slot right in.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

vaginal culture posted:

Most do better in their second season.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

psyer posted:

According to Tony Barrett of The Times, 15 players may leave Liverpool during the summer.

Would like to keep Agger tbh.

Alberto deserves a loan, he looks like a talented kid but needs games. Suso should be kept too. I'd have far rather we brought a player like him on than the likes of Aspas and Moses this season.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

psyer posted:

This is a combination of dumb speculation (Lucas and Agger might leave because they weren't first choice during the run in!! ... that's the same way people talked about Skrtel last season, and then he started every game this time around) and stating the blindingly obvious (fringe players who many of us thought had already left the club [Coates] might leave! We won't sign Moses and Cissokho permanently!) etc.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Bea Nanner posted:

Most do better in their second season.

Cazorla didnt

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

the sex ghost posted:

They should auction off unused victory parade buses and that sort of thing, I'd pay big bucks for the chance to drive around in an ARSENAL EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS 2006 bus every day

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that the buses are repainted, and that a work experience kid is not asked to dispose of them by releasing the handbrake at the top of a hill and jumping out

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

psyer posted:

Buying a holding player for Gerrard to hold hands with is stupid because Gerrard is the holding player now and he's got Henderson to do all his running for him. Plus his legs won't last much longer so building any sort of team around him is crazy.

quote:

"There is no clause that suggests a priority for a specific team," he says. "My head now is focused on the World Cup. My agent tells me what's there. It's more speculation than reality."

Suarez has one foot out the door, and is desperate for any team to come forward.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
I think buying a young dominant holding midfielder would be to replace Gerrard, not supplement him.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Total Meatlove posted:

I think buying a young dominant holding midfielder would be to replace Gerrard, not supplement him.

Yep. Gerrard won't play every game next season given his age, the world cup and champions league. I like Lucas but I think he's lost a bit of pace since those bad injuries and lacks the physical presence and range of passing that Gerrard provides. Personally I think Henderson is his natural replacement as he's been absolutely phenomenal when Gerrard is out.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Real Madrid are not, and have never been, interested in Luis Suarez. And even if they were they certainly aren't going to shell out Bale money for a guy who will be 28 next season.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Sphyre posted:

Real Madrid are not, and have never been, interested in Luis Suarez. And even if they were they certainly aren't going to shell out Bale money for a guy who will be 28 next season.

I would like this to be true because I don't see him going anywhere else

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Ewar Woowar posted:

Personally I think Henderson is his natural replacement as he's been absolutely phenomenal when Gerrard is out.
If you mean replacing the old Gerrard, then I agree, but Henderson wouldn't be able to replace the Gerrard we've seen this season - and even if he could, it would be a complete waste because he runs four marathons each game if we let him.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Ewar Woowar posted:

I would like this to be true because I don't see him going anywhere else

Hes going to make peace with Ivanovic and rotate with Costa at the Chels I heard.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

irlZaphod posted:

Based on their performances against Shamrock Rovers, I can safely say that if we sold Suarez and Sturridge this Summer, then Aspas and Borini could become the new SAS. Or AAB. Or BAA.

(Ibe looked deadly and Coady actually looked pretty decent too. Our backline was still hilariously bad at the defending part of their job, though.)

Is the league of Ireland really bad or are our reserves a lot better than I thought?

cheese posted:

Reminder that Aspas turns 27 this summer and should probably not be taking the field for a team in the CL. I thought Borini looked a little slow on the ball tbh. Ibe sort of reminds me of a bulky Sterling from last season: fast, tricky but raw and without the finishing. Kelly, rest his soul, is 24 and doesn't look like he will ever be fit (either health or ability wise) enough for Liverpool.

He looked pretty fit in this game I thought? He scored and made a lot of good runs forward anyway.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

smelly cabin filter posted:

Hes going to make peace with Ivanovic and rotate with Costa at the Chels I heard.

Apparently United are getting rid of Evra to launch an audacious bid for Suarez, is what Brian Mcclair told me

In proper itk news tho apparently Phil Neville might become the new Alan Hansen and sign up for Match of The Day next year. He's working for the BBC at something like 10 world cup games. They wanted him last year when he retired to rival Gary.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Strawman posted:

Is the league of Ireland really bad or are our reserves a lot better than I thought?

Really bad.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Taff posted:

In proper itk news tho apparently Phil Neville might become the new Alan Hansen and sign up for Match of The Day next year. He's working for the BBC at something like 10 world cup games. They wanted him last year when he retired to rival Gary.

Phil is no Gary

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Strawman posted:

He looked pretty fit in this game I thought? He scored and made a lot of good runs forward anyway.

You know who also looked good in a tracksuit friendly?

Heskie
Aug 10, 2002

sassassin posted:

Phil is no Gary

Poor guy has been hearing this his whole life.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Strawman posted:

The League of Ireland is really bad.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

irlZaphod posted:

Like really really

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS

irlZaphod posted:

Eh, to be honest I see the league or Ireland, Scotland and Wales as the Coca cola championship level at best. It's a bit like watching Sunday league

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage
How does it compare to the Australian league?

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
League of Ireland is on about a level with the Dutch league

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

Imagine there was a mini Champions League between LoI and Irish League teams. PHWOAR

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

itsjustdrew posted:

Eh, to be honest I see the league or Ireland, Scotland and Wales as the Coca cola championship level at best. It's a bit like watching Sunday league
I know people laugh at the Scottish league but it's a big step up from the League of Ireland, League of Wales or the Irish Football League.

St Evan Echoes posted:

Imagine there was a mini Champions League between LoI and Irish League teams. PHWOAR
I'm not sure if that's :thejoke: but there is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setanta_Sports_Cup

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
League of Ireland is skrill level maybe league 2 for the better teams.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Bad news for any Villa fans hoping that their club might get sold soon, Keith Harris has been given the job of selling it after doing such great jobs selling Birmingham to Carson Yeung and failing to sell Newcastle for Mike Ashley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
What will Orville be doing while this is going on?

• Locked thread