Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Amell showing up on the Flash makes everything better :flashfap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Oracle posted:

This is probably true. He hated Oliver because Shado chose him over Slade and Slade was in love with her. He just was able to keep that jealousy in check until Oliver 'killed' her/let her die/whatever and Slade got the bug juice. Now he's had five years of Shado herself telling him how much he should hate Ollie for what he did to her/them.

And honestly, you'd hate Oliver too in the same situation. Spoiled little useless rich boy who has a history of cheating on every girl he's ever claimed to have loved (including with two SISTERS) and the woman you love falls for him too? I mean you can see that train wreck coming from a mile away.

Yeah this was my take on it too- there were at least a few moments of awkward tension between Slade and Ollie early in the season over their relationship and their respective feelings towards Shadow, and I think the problem is that so much happened between that and the finale it's hard to make the connection for the audience.

Slade hating Ollie even without the drug was probably one of the more narratively reasonable points of the finale IMO.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

Drifter posted:

He's juuuust shy of supersonic, if that 700mi/s is anything to go by.

They do show the radar gun stop at 702MPH, but in the next shot, Flash is shown producing what looks like a sonic boom vapor cone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj0l7iGKh8g&t=2m31s

Cool trailer.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Anyone got ideas on the Xavier look-a-like identity from the Flash? I'm kind of hoping for him to be Niles Caulder from the Doom Patrol.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Un-l337-Pork posted:

They do show the radar gun stop at 702MPH, but in the next shot, Flash is shown producing what looks like a sonic boom vapor cone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj0l7iGKh8g&t=2m31s

Cool trailer.

God that trailer is like everything I want out of an XMEN TV show, too. Weather Wizard. :allears:
it's straight up Smallville villain origins by Kryptonite meteorite, though. What are ya gonna do? :shrug:

Also, I don't know if it's internet cool, but I really think that Ballad of Barry Allen song is clever and nice sounding.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I like everything that has to do with the Flash and the villains, but i am not crazy about any of the actual characters, based on what we have seen from them on Arrow.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
So many people bitching about the costume and that on YouTube, can't we all just agree it looks fun as hell and enjoy the ride.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
I thought the flash could basically run at light speed

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Their scenes in Arrow were hampered by being full of exposition dumping. So I'll wait to judge them until they get some time on their own show.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ayb posted:

I thought the flash could basically run at light speed

The Flash can run exactly as fast as needed for the plot. In practice though he's gotten faster and faster as time goes on. I imagine that s3 (fingers crossed!!) Flash will be a lot faster than s1 Flash.

Has Wally always been straight up faster than Barry?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Deakul posted:

Just... holy gently caress. :flashfap:
Holy gently caress.

:flashfap:

The inevitable Flash thread is just gonna be page after page of this when the premier airs.

I'm totally ok with this.
Quick, somebody turn :flashfap: into a gang tag.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Deadpool posted:

Their scenes in Arrow were hampered by being full of exposition dumping. So I'll wait to judge them until they get some time on their own show.

The guy still annoys me, but I already like Girl Lab Tech. :catstare: "I need you to urinate in this cup."

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - Your fetishes are biasing you.

zoux posted:

Has Wally always been straight up faster than Barry?

Not faster, they all run the same because of speedforce, but I think certain ones have tighter control of powers, like vibrating to phase through things, or time travel and poo poo. I don't know.

Although I think only Wally has been able to escape the speedforce when he ran faster than light.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 15, 2014

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Drifter posted:

God that trailer is like everything I want out of an XMEN TV show, too. Weather Wizard. :allears:
it's straight up Smallville villain origins by Kryptonite meteorite, though. What are ya gonna do? :shrug:

Also, I don't know if it's internet cool, but I really think that Ballad of Barry Allen song is clever and nice sounding.

I'm with you, I legit like that song. I think a re-worked version would be an awesome theme song, or play over end credits song.

If nothing else, they should totally do a small callback, like how in the first Raimi Spider-Man movie there was that street musician in the subway doing a version of the Spider-Man song from the 60s.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

VagueRant posted:

I thought Ollie went back to the boat (because Sarah had been inexplicably captured by Slade offscreen - that was weird!) and they both just got caught by Slade?

He did. Then he freed Sarah and they were making a bee-line out when he was like "wait, I can't leave Slade, go without me" and then she went with him.

Deadpool posted:

Plus I feel like I want to let the actors and writers have a bit of time to define the characters and/or grow into them.

PowerBeard posted:

So many people bitching about the costume and that on YouTube, can't we all just agree it looks fun as hell and enjoy the ride.

So long as it's either Arrow-quality or so-bad-its-good. There's a big uncanny valley there.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Oasx posted:

I like everything that has to do with the Flash and the villains, but i am not crazy about any of the actual characters, based on what we have seen from them on Arrow.

Yeah, well, that girl is crazy hot so I'm going to give it a chance.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Drifter posted:

There's no way the CW will pass up the opportunity to use that at some point. If only the beat behind it.

Jackson Taus posted:

So long as it's either Arrow-quality or so-bad-its-good. There's a big uncanny valley there.

From the extended trailer, it looks dorky in the way that someone who reads lots of comic books and suddenly has superpowers would look. It has a bit of the Ravager forehead problem, but honestly, the slightly goofy appearance adds a bit of charm. From the sounds of it, yeah, Barry is going to be pretty stoked about being a superhero after the initial wobbles and the pep talk from Oliver. It only makes sense that his costume reflect that.

Haters gonna hate and all that.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Warmachine posted:

There's no way the CW will pass up the opportunity to use that at some point. If only the beat behind it.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 did this in a great way early on in the film: When Spidey catches up to the thug that will become Rhino and starts outright toying with him by pulling his pants down and webbing him up, he's whistling the cartoon theme song the entire time.

I can see Flash using the Ballad at some point, maybe not the whole thing but just take the beat and overlay it on some sort of super-speed montage as a little geek fanservice...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Amazing Spider-Man 2 did this in a great way early on in the film: When Spidey catches up to the thug that will become Rhino and starts outright toying with him by pulling his pants down and webbing him up, he's histling the cartoon theme song the entire time.

I can see Flash using the Ballad at some point, maybe not the whole thing but just take the beat and overlay it on some sort of super-speed montage as a little geek fanservice...

Also his ringtone is the song.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Drifter posted:

My favourite mass villain/hero origin is from Static Shock, where loads of gang members and the odd unlucky kid get hit with comic book gas (It gets called the big bang and its really cool).

But I've never had a problem with having all the villains / heroes linked like that so I don't understand why its a problem.

Also this finale rules, the Flash trailer rules, Ollie as veteran hero rules - everything rules today.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Anyone got ideas on the Xavier look-a-like identity from the Flash? I'm kind of hoping for him to be Niles Caulder from the Doom Patrol.

Tom Cavanagh's playing a character named Harrison Wells.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

MrFlibble posted:

My favourite mass villain/hero origin is from Static Shock, where loads of gang members and the odd unlucky kid get hit with comic book gas (It gets called the big bang and its really cool).

But I've never had a problem with having all the villains / heroes linked like that so I don't understand why its a problem.

Also this finale rules, the Flash trailer rules, Ollie as veteran hero rules - everything rules today.

Man I would give anything to see Static in this universe. I would mark out so loving hard.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MrFlibble posted:

The only issue I have is that it leads to a villain of the week type of scenario in many cases. From a plot point on its own I don't have a problem. There's got to be a cause of it all, after all.

I hope Ollie keeps secrets from Flash, too and they ruin their relationship because Ollie's a loving prick. But he won't because he only fucks over his family.

Thea's pants in the limo were pretty leathery, no? Cool. Her and Barrowman are going to be so cool. :allears:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Flash extended trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj0l7iGKh8g

Those fuckers did it, Reverse Flash :stare:
EDIT: AMELL!!! :flashfap::flashfap::flashfap::flashfap::flashfap::flashfap::flashfap:

Why didn't they show this instead last night? Jesus :stare:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

teagone posted:

Because it spoils the entire first episode. This is mostly for advertisers.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

teagone posted:

I've watched the drat thing 3 times now. That bit where he saves the bike courier from getting run over by running over top of the car...just :stare: this is awesome.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Error 404 posted:

I've watched the drat thing 3 times now. That bit where he saves the bike courier from getting run over by running over top of the car...just :stare: this is awesome.

Same when he jumps up and catches the barn door. I know we all had superspeed effect angst but looks like they got it sorted pretty well.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Drifter posted:

The only issue I have is that it leads to a villain of the week type of scenario in many cases. From a plot point on its own I don't have a problem. There's got to be a cause of it all, after all.

I hope Ollie keeps secrets from Flash, too and they ruin their relationship because Ollie's a loving prick. But he won't because he only fucks over his family.

Thea's pants in the limo were pretty leathery, no? Cool. Her and Barrowman are going to be so cool. :allears:

When it comes to the villain of the week, Flash has the Rogues Gallery who are all amazing. This production team gets that superheroes are larger than life and they should be doing epic things. I am so happy.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Slade hating Ollie even without the drug was probably one of the more narratively reasonable points of the finale IMO.

I agree. Hating Oliver Queen was his entire MO for the past 5 years. It may have been informed by trauma and some kind of medically-induced insanity, but that ideation isn't going to up and vanish overnight. And besides, now he can hate Ollie for stabbing him in the eye and then imprisoning him forever in the middle of nowhere...even if Head-Shado goes away.

Slade on the Suicide Squad would be amazing, though, and I hope that somehow happens.

This episode was insanely paced. Trying to fit all they had to into 44 minutes was basically impossible; everything about it felt totally rushed. It could've used another 22 minutes just to pad everything out. Things like Nyssa returning or Roy waking up should probably actually have had some narrative weight, but wrapping everything up on time totally sapped any of it away. drat ad-based broadcast TV, with its rigid schedule.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

When it comes to the villain of the week, Flash has the Rogues Gallery who are all amazing. This production team gets that superheroes are larger than life and they should be doing epic things. I am so happy.

Not only that, but the wheelchair scientist guy? When he explains what happened at the particle accelerator, it leaves the world open for just about anything. It establishes the foundation for a DCTV Universe.

Or maybe I'm just wildly speculating.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

My reaction as a full grown man to the Flash trailer is SPLOOSH

God drat that looks great.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
End of this season got pretty good. I think the season as a whole would have been better if they'd cut out a lot of the Suicide Squad stuff, but I can see that's clearly leading into Season 3s flashback storyline now and helped give Waller more of a ruthless pragmatist backstory to reinforce her character in the finale.

Totally uninterested in the Flash though, that looks really bad. However I see the appeal in having a very "light" version to offset Arrow's darkness. At least visually and stylistically they're making the properties look very different so that's good. Even if I don't really care for the style I appreciate them widening their base rather than just doing Arrow in a different city with a gun who runs fast instead of an Archer.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah I just saw the Flash trailer and I'm like crying right now. :frogsiren:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Excuse me why hasn't VDay giffed that entire thing yet?

Also looks like We know what role John Wesley Shipp will be playing.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 15, 2014

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

If thats what it looks like then hes pretty much playing the role hes supposed too - perfect casting on a level of Justin Hartley for ollie or arrow movie with a television show.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Excuse me why hasn't VDay giffed that entire thing yet?

Hey, he's about the right age to play it in the present day scenes, too, which is probably why his role was listed as possibly recurring.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't know how it holds up but I loved me the gently caress out of that old Flash series when I was a kid.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

zoux posted:

Oh man oh man oh man. My dad had a bunch of recordings of that show that I would watch all the time growing up. I'm so loving excited for this, Flash is my favorite DC superhero :allears:

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
In a perfect world, The Flash TV series would have Mark Hamill play the Trickster for one episode, even if it is only for Flash to tell him to keep taking his meds.

I loved that Justice League episode so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

PowerBeard posted:

In a perfect world, The Flash TV series would have Mark Hamill play the Trickster for one episode, even if it is only for Flash to tell him to keep taking his meds.

I loved that Justice League episode so much.

So the Trickster from the first Flash show would appear on the new? Maybe he could play the first Trickster.

• Locked thread