Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I wonder if the Clanners can pull off a partial victory by killing enough of this ambush force. Amaris can't have too many squads of these guys hanging around.

They should probably also try to get a message reporting this tech off world if they can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I'm secretly hoping that PTN's dice do their thing against the NRWR forces and the clans survive this somehow. One or two clan `mechs standing over the corpses of 39 opponents. That would really gently caress everything up for Amaris. Especially if the clans pick up all the goodies left behind and send the plans back home for the scientists to ogle.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 16, 2014

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Well, if that Locust is going to come back sooner rather than later, watching the north closely on turns divisible by 5 will probably be a good idea, especially since it's probably coming back when their reinforcements show up.

No thoughts on what to do about the Ultimatum, but since PTN did say it was ~PLOT~, it'll definitely be important. Deal with it how you will, but something will definitely come of it.

Nice headcap of the Bobcat right as it was about to go Ace, too. Very good damage to a bunch of already wounded enemy mechs, hopefully a bunch of them will be going down sooner rather than later. Too bad about the Wolf Spider's movement issues and consequent messed up firing orders, though hopefully he'll be able to make up for it next turn.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 19, 2014

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

GenericServices posted:

The bane of all Clanners everywhere.

"Sure, we'll happily fight you in this swamp!"

"Yup, no problem whatsoever standing in a large cluster in this suspicious canyon which our Elementals just cleared demo-gear toting infantry from the top of while waiting our turn to fist-fight this guy!"

Oh, Stackpole. If only you didn't need your antagonists to be stupid to let your terrible protagonists win.

Stackpole's the best example of "the smartest guy in a story can only be as smart as the author" I can think of. That's why things like Kai's solution to the simulator where you have to fight a full lance of assaults (pick a fast medium with a long range gun and shoot while running away) is some genius solution nobody thought of in 300 years even though that's the obvious solution. Or why Operation: Bulldog's plan of "beat them by destroying their equipment but ALSO by attacking their supplies and damaging their ability to repair their damaged equipment!" was approached like some kind of groundbreaking system that required pages to explain. Since Stackpole is only as smart as the average lazy person everyone who isn't a "genius" has to be a complete idiot.

e: Still Clanners picking dumb locations isn't just a Stackpole thing, that's just part of the Clan bidding system and has been from inception. If you challenge someone to a Trial of Possession you are required to fight them wherever they want to fight.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Drop the Arrow IV on the Ultimatum. It's the Clan way!

Even if it does nothing, it's better than living with uncertainty about whether bombing it would be really cool or not!

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I'm going to laugh when the players use the ArrowIV against the ultimatum only it's invulnerable because of plot reasons.

Failed to damage target - STOP RUINING *PLOT*

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Olothreutes posted:

I'm secretly hoping that PTN's dice do their thing against the NRWR forces and the clans survive this somehow. One or two clan `mechs standing over the corpses of 39 opponents. That would really gently caress everything up for Amaris. Especially if the clans pick up all the goodies left behind and send the plans back home for the scientists to ogle.

I'm in this camp, absolutely.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Gwaihir posted:

I'm in this camp, absolutely.

I'm not. The clans are a bunch of arrogant douchebag Mary Sues. They deserve to be brought down several pegs. IS factions are more interesting.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Boogle posted:

I'm not. The clans are a bunch of arrogant douchebag Mary Sues. They deserve to be brought down several pegs. IS factions are more interesting.

Agreed. The clans are Honor Harrington level Mary Sues in official canon.
PTN's mech builds (and the contest winning vehicle builds) need a official XTRO publication.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

Stackpole's the best example of "the smartest guy in a story can only be as smart as the author" I can think of. That's why things like Kai's solution to the simulator where you have to fight a full lance of assaults (pick a fast medium with a long range gun and shoot while running away) is some genius solution nobody thought of in 300 years even though that's the obvious solution. Or why Operation: Bulldog's plan of "beat them by destroying their equipment but ALSO by attacking their supplies and damaging their ability to repair their damaged equipment!" was approached like some kind of groundbreaking system that required pages to explain. Since Stackpole is only as smart as the average lazy person everyone who isn't a "genius" has to be a complete idiot.

e: Still Clanners picking dumb locations isn't just a Stackpole thing, that's just part of the Clan bidding system and has been from inception. If you challenge someone to a Trial of Possession you are required to fight them wherever they want to fight.

He really, really is. His X-Wing novels were just as full of that kind of silliness. And yeah, the dumb fight location certainly isn't unique to his writing, but his novels were the first place I ran into the Clanners (got handed the novels in middle school) and so later moments kinda blur into a mess of "oh, look, they agreed to fight on the rickety bridge over Jagged Protrusion Gorge, ho hum."

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Dolash posted:

Drop the Arrow IV on the Ultimatum. It's the Clan way!

Even if it does nothing, it's better than living with uncertainty about whether bombing it would be really cool or not!

If you want to voluntarily not get plot, that's perfectly fine. I can work around it, it just means the delay before the next match will be way longer than usual since I'll have to throw out most of what I'm working on.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

PoptartsNinja posted:

If you want to voluntarily not get plot, that's perfectly fine. I can work around it, it just means the delay before the next match will be way longer than usual since I'll have to throw out most of what I'm working on.

read: Don't kill the Ultimatum.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Ice Fist posted:

read: Don't kill the Ultimatum.

No, we can finally pay PTN back for all the pain he has caused us. How many of us has he killed in all these years?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

TildeATH posted:

No, we can finally pay PTN back for all the pain he has caused us. How many of us has he killed in all these years?

Not enough.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

PoptartsNinja posted:

Aw heck. Well, I can't personally condone a course of action that'd make PTN rewrite a whole mess of stuff... but if it was me with the TAG, the temptation to see just what happens if we blew up something we weren't supposed to might be too much to resist.

(As in, go ahead and blow it up, but let me divest myself of responsibility for calling for it!)

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm surprised it hasn't happened already, but I'm glad you're not too upset about it.

Letting us shoot the wrong things makes the story more interesting!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Who's to say it hasn't happened before?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It has. It's really No Big Deal. If it's important, I'll get you the plot somehow--and if it's not, I'll move on and surprise you with the Void Signature Systems you could've been playing around with already.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Guys what if the Ultimatum is like a little cage with an important hostage in it, and the Rimmers are gonna like declare over an open channel that if the clanners don't surrender they'll shoot the cage!

Maybe it'd be worth one round of a mech moving over to inspect the thing before blowing it up.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Kerensky K. Kerensky is in that cage!

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well. That is basically every player's duty and responsibility, to throw the GM's plans out the window. On the other hand, Leperflesh has a point. Asking PTN of your sensors/ ENHANCED IMAGING can make out what it is first might be a good idea.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

goatface posted:

Kerensky K. Kerensky is in that cage!

What does the K. stand for?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

hooman posted:

Killer

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

hooman posted:

K-k-k-krazy!

Seriously, mad as a hatter. Those genes came from Nicky K. himself. Bomb that hex from space.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
Orders in! Not a lot of great options this turn, so I'm heading to hex 620. It's a spot I'm fairly certain will be out of LOS of the Unknown Assault, and set up for future turns. I had the option of shooting the Hunchback on 10s with the ER PPCs and split shooting the Thug on 12s. Instead I'm just going to blast the Thug on 9s and 11s, with secondary orders for the Hunchback if the Thug dies.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Guys, a stupid question: how does smoke work? I’d like to blow up the Phoenix, but I’m not sure if it’s a valid target.

Also, what happens if I run up and downhill? There's a piloting check, right?

And again, I can't remember if we can move through powered down allies. I'd say no, but I don't remember the official answer.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 10:53 on May 17, 2014

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
I think that's ok, it's moving backwards up or down a hill that's impossible/bad?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I think going up slopes is only a piloting check if you have leg actuator damage.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Smoke is basically the same as woods for LOS and to-hit purposes. If you can't tell whether a hex is filled with light or heavy smoke ask PTN.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I don't use heavy smoke unless there's something really major on fire.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

I don't use heavy smoke unless there's something really major on fire.

This sounds innocuous until we realize one of the Trouts is named Maj. Reely.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

That Italian Guy posted:

Guys, a stupid question: how does smoke work? I’d like to blow up the Phoenix, but I’m not sure if it’s a valid target.

Also, what happens if I run up and downhill? There's a piloting check, right?

And again, I can't remember if we can move through powered down allies. I'd say no, but I don't remember the official answer.

Not a stupid question at all. A hex of woods or smoke on a direct line from the center of your hex to the center of the target hex adds +1 to your to-hit number. Even a small corner of the hex adds this. Three such hexes in total will completely block LOS. Two hexes of heavy smoke or heavy woods will do the same. If LOS runs directly along the middle of a hex line, as for example it would to the Phoenix from your current position, the recipient of the shots determines which of the hexes applies. So, if one side of the hexes was clear and one was a solid wall, you could fire at the Phoenix and it could say, "Nope, denying LOS!" However, it would be unable to shoot back at you, and vice versa if you decided to deny it LOS. You obviously cannot choose to deny LOS to a target if you're also shooting at it. Does that make sense?

Running uphill is no problem without actuator or possibly gyro damage. You should be fine whether you're heading to kill the Phoenix or the Hunchback. No guarantees on return fire, of course. There never are.

You'll need to confirm obstacle status with PTN. Somebody said PTN considered them obstacles earlier, but I don't recall who.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

GenericServices posted:

You'll need to confirm obstacle status with PTN. Somebody said PTN considered them obstacles earlier, but I don't recall who.

That would be me.

Edit: And the reason why they're obstacles is the repair gantries and what-have-you the Clan technicians set up. I just didn't feel the need to draw scaffolding all over the map for machines that won't be moving at all before the scenario ends.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 17, 2014

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

That would be me.

I suppose that's a reliable source.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

GenericServices posted:

I suppose that's a reliable source.

Is it?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Keru posted:

Is it?

You're going to trust rules interpretation from a guy on the other team?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Going after that Longbow then.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Keru posted:

Is it?

Well, we know that he is still almost definitely not a spy, if that counts.

We're running some calculations but I'm afraid the Phoenix is almost un-hittable this round, if smoke and light wood stack. Even if they don't stack, we're talking 11s. Same thing for the Locust. I could still go for the Hunchie's back, or try to kill the Thug.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

That Italian Guy posted:

Well, we know that he is still almost definitely not a spy, if that counts.

We're running some calculations but I'm afraid the Phoenix is almost un-hittable this round, if smoke and light wood stack. Even if they don't stack, we're talking 11s. Same thing for the Locust. I could still go for the Hunchie's back, or try to kill the Thug.

The Thug's the easier shot, since there would be no intervening woods and you could just walk to get out of melee range, but I'm not sure it's particularly likely to die. Kial's shots aren't going to be amazing from up there. 9's, off the top of my head, but that's quick head-figuring. It leaves only two really major problems up north, though, and the Phoenix can probably be mulched with concentrated fire. This assumes reinforcements didn't arrive.

Hunchback is slightly harder to hit because you have to run and there's woods, but you're in the back arc, it didn't move, its torsos are very thin, and one engine crit will kill it. Also, it's a serious danger to your friends down south and removing it gives them a lot more freedom to act. Downside is, you isolate yourself somewhat from the Warhawk and Ebon Jaguar and may have issues getting solid cover next turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I wouldn't go after the Hunchback, personally. It'll leave you up on the ridge and if the Thug comes up behind you and blocks your retreat you'll be in an extremely exposed position where pretty much every enemy unit in the south has a decent shot at you.

But then considering my previous advice didn't pay off too well perhaps I'm not the guy you should be listening to.

Edit: I still think you should try to kill the Thug, it's at death's door.

Left Arm – Destroyed
Right Arm – Destroyed
Left Torso – Destroyed
Right Torso – 3/25
Left Leg – 25/32
Right Leg – 18/32
Center Torso – 7/39
Head – 9/9

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 17, 2014

• Locked thread