Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Crafty posted:

Here he is five weeks ago mentioning he wants to make changes to the gold pay wall

And here he is talking about how he went about his plans for a kinectless bundle.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/05/head-of-xbox-says-plans-to-decouple-kinect-from-xbox-one-began-in-april/

Did you think he was just there to keep an eye on major nelson?
Relevant quote:

quote:

In an interview with Ars Technica, Microsoft's Head of Xbox Phil Spencer confirmed that efforts to offer a no-Kinect edition of Xbox One began as soon as he joined the Xbox team five weeks ago and that today’s out-of-nowhere announcement was meant to “get the product and the choice in front of consumers as soon as possible.”
Earlier Yusuf Mehdi said it's been in the works over the last couple of months.

quote:

Forbes: Can you say how long this unbundling announcement has been in the works?
Mehdi: Over the last couple months we’ve been having discussions about how we can continue to iterate on the program.
Nevermind that a month ago Phil Harrison had an interview with Edge Magazine where it was expressed that:

quote:

The new man in charge at Xbox touches on a wide range of topics within our new issue’s cover feature, not least the continued presence of Kinect within its console offering. To justify its presence, there are more Kinect games coming – “There are a number of games on the ID@Xbox programme that use Kinect, and you’ll see more games in the fall,” he tells us – and Microsoft still doesn’t feel the need to remove it from the Xbox One package just yet, though it would reduce its price.

“We’re always trying to match what consumers are asking for,” he says. “I always want to make sure that we’re in tune with what current or potential customers are asking for from us. Right now, [dropping Kinect is] not the number one request from people. Usually it’s, ‘Where are the great games?’”
I guess Kinect Sports Rivals wasn't a big enough hit to save it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Nevermind that a month ago Phil Harrison had an interview with Edge Magazine where it was expressed that:

I guess Kinect Sports Rivals wasn't a big enough hit to save it.

That's a Phil Spencer quote, not Phil Harrison. So we agree it was Phil Games Spencers idea to offer the kinectless sku.

I imagine that they would have liked to keep it in the box and lower the price to $399, but once they looked at it, it would have been too much of a $ loss.

I don't think the decision would have been swayed as much by sales of sports rivals as it would have been sales of the console due to it's price in comparison to the competition. Even if sports rivals had sold titanfall numbers I imagine the new sku would still have come about.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
It wasn't Spencer's idea. It was the idea of a huge mass of people who repeatedly asked for it and expressed strong distaste for the Kinect bundle policy. For almost an entire year.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

It wasn't Spencer's idea. It was the idea of a huge mass of people who repeatedly asked for it and expressed strong distaste for the Kinect bundle policy. For almost an entire year.

Decision would be a better word then. If the old guard had remained in place the unbundling of Kinect would have taken longer, or potentially not happened. Praise the lord for Phil G Spencer.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
In this metaphor, Spencer is Jesus and Microsoft is a group of unwashed and ignorant sinners. His death at their hands will be particularly devastating for Xbox.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

In this metaphor, Spencer is Jesus and Microsoft is a group of unwashed and ignorant sinners. His death at their hands will be particularly devastating for Xbox.

Because Jesus's death was particularly devastating for Christianity.

Yusuf Mehdi is Judas, E3 the last supper?

Titanfall DLC is out now and here's the next gen version of Minecraft, which unsurprisingly looks rather similar to the last gen.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Crafty posted:

Because Jesus's death was particularly devastating for Christianity.

Yusuf Mehdi is Judas, E3 the last supper?

Titanfall DLC is out now and here's the next gen version of Minecraft, which unsurprisingly looks rather similar to the last gen.

Its Minecraft. it looks the same on quad 780ti's

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Crafty posted:

Here he is five weeks ago mentioning he wants to make changes to the gold pay wall

That's not how Microsoft's management works. Phil is literally there to assure people they care about games. Look we put a guy who care's about game's there!

Interviewer asking Mehdi

quote:

Does it have anything specifically to do with the recent change in leadership with Phil Spencer taking over?

Not really, for years now we’ve been trying to be very customer focused, looking to our fans and taking their feedback. You can track all the way back to E3, where after we got out we had a lot of good feedback about how you can play games, used games, and online connectivity. We’ve been very responsive, and this is consistent with that approach.

So it's almost certainly that they were monitoring sales of the Bone didn't see the uptick they were hoping for in March then saw Sports Rivals fail to become Wii Sports and pulled the trigger. Phil Spencer is there to distract people from the fact that for years they siphoned money off their customers and refused to stop until they were losing a lot of traction.

"Oh you mean you didn't like paying us money for nothing?! Why didn't you say so?"

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 15, 2014

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Don Lapre posted:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Don Lapre posted:

But what resolution and fps does it run at??

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Kinect Rivals got no marketing, I am pretty sure they knew it was a turd before it went out the door.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Thats not stock minecraft.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:monocle:

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Damnit, now I want that out of Minecraft.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ape Agitator posted:

Damnit, now I want that out of Minecraft.

GLSL shaders are free, so have at it!

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

To be fair, the draw distance is very noticeably better in the xbone version.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Funkmaster General posted:

To be fair, the draw distance is very noticeably better in the xbone version.

Draw distance increased and apparently they are currently testing the ability to create worlds 36 times bigger than on the previous gen. I need to read an lttp for Minecraft, I know it's wildly popular but I have no clue what it's all about.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Crafty posted:

Draw distance increased and apparently they are currently testing the ability to create worlds 36 times bigger than on the previous gen. I need to read an lttp for Minecraft, I know it's wildly popular but I have no clue what it's all about.

This is good because I'm fairly certain I mined every bit of diamond from a 360 world. It wasn't terribly hard.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Crafty posted:

Video game lego pretty much.

breed to death
Aug 16, 2013
Not to derail from discussing whether or not Minecraft will be 1080/60, but did anyone else buy Super Time Force? Because that game freakin' RULES!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Crafty posted:

I don't know if "36 times bigger" means "as big as the PC version", but I don't think there needs to be any restrictions to the world size now. According to both the debug view in-game and Windows' task manager, the game only uses about 1 GB of RAM.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Without mods it's still going to be subpar though and should be freemium, honestly.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Widestancer posted:

Without mods it's still going to be subpar though and should be freemium, honestly.

People would flip the gently caress out.

Too many autists play Minecraft with no mods, which I don't get how can be entertaining.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Did anyone see the newest issue of game informer where they have a page spread on Star Citizen and in the interview with Roberts he talks about bringing Star Citizen to consoles?

This sounds like it could be a match made in heaven for Microsoft. With so much backing it could be interesting. The article in particular talks about keeping the console experience similar to other experiences so that will doubtless be exciting!

:toot:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Mordaedil posted:

People would flip the gently caress out.

Too many autists play Minecraft with no mods, which I don't get how can be entertaining.

I bought Minecraft about a month ago and have been playing it unmodded. I admit it has some UI and playability issues compared to the modded versions I've seen, but it's still ok. Basically how I've played it so far has been "Hmm, I still haven't done X in Minecraft, I'm going to do that now." Where X could be something relatively trivial like "make a melon farm", or something more involved like "brewed a potion"

My shelters have been total poo poo though, I don't really care about that aspect that much. I'm probably not going to build some elaborate mansion ever.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Wheany posted:

I bought Minecraft about a month ago and have been playing it unmodded. I admit it has some UI and playability issues compared to the modded versions I've seen, but it's still ok. Basically how I've played it so far has been "Hmm, I still haven't done X in Minecraft, I'm going to do that now." Where X could be something relatively trivial like "make a melon farm", or something more involved like "brewed a potion"

My shelters have been total poo poo though, I don't really care about that aspect that much. I'm probably not going to build some elaborate mansion ever.

This is why freemium would be nice. Since Microsoft packed in all this power into the Xbox One I'm sure there are people who would be fine playing a free, unmodded version but enough others willing to pay a small amount to have various popular mods installed that it would make a profit as well as deliver an actual next gen experience instead of a mere port.

It worked for farmville and it can work here for Microsoft as well!

:toot:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Wheany posted:

Well, I've done challenges like try to make pixel-art characters like Megaman and Flandre using only in-game resources in a part of the landscape on multiplayer servers and try to do it infront of other peoples houses.

Some people were kinda impressed with a 32-block tall Megaman jumping up from the cliff to fire a charged shot at their house that blocked their doors.

They were less impressed with the nuke that I set off with a remote control right after showing it to them.

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.

quote:

Making a “Halo” game that runs at 60 frames per second, on dedicated servers, with the scope, features and scale we’ve been dreaming of for more than a decade, is non-trivial. It’s a task that we, at 343 Industries, are taking very seriously to ensure we deliver the “Halo” game that fans deserve, and a game that is built from the ground up for Xbox One.

I’m happy to reveal that “Halo 5: Guardians,” the next installment in the legendary saga of the Master Chief, will launch on Xbox One in fall of 2015. In the tradition of every “Halo” game since its debut in 2001, it is a massive and exciting project.

And 2015 won’t simply be the year of “Halo 5: Guardians,” it will also be a year that offers us a unique opportunity. The opportunity to invite old friends and new audiences into that universe through the “Halo” television series, launched as a unique collaboration with Steven Spielberg and some of the finest creative minds in the business. A series that will stand alone, as well as complement and enrich the game experience. We’ll have more to share on the “Halo” television series as we near its projected fall 2015 release.

Many fans noted that I was very deliberate with my phrasing on stage at E3 last year. I spoke about a “journey,” rather than a destination – and that journey definitely begins in 2014 with a giant leap, rather than one small step. We’ll give you much more information about our plans for this year at the Xbox E3 2014 Media Briefing on June 9, and we’re confident that “Halo” fans will be pretty excited about the special plans we have in store.
http://news.xbox.com/2014/05/games-halo-journey-announcement

Halo 5: Guardians in Fall 2015. Halo TV show in 2015 and the "journey" begins 2014.

edit: This was posted by a supposedly verified Xbox dev on Reddit. http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/25oymp/adding_more_hype_on_the_list_of_things_to_come/

quote:

I give you this.
Soon...

Ronald Duck fucked around with this message at 11:32 on May 16, 2014

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have no idea how anyone can play any form of minecraft for any period of time and not think of anything else that would be more engaging that they could do instead, such as play an actual game.

The only thing worse is people who watch other people play minecraft on youtube.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
So I guess this year is Halo 2 HD's year. No way they don't release something Halo related this fall, right?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Soul Glo posted:

So I guess this year is Halo 2 HD's year. No way they don't release something Halo related this fall, right?

It lines up with the previous rumors and if they don't release it, they've got Sunset Overdrive and what else?

EDIT: Granted, I don't know what they're expecting out of Halo 5 after Halo 4's sharp drop-off in players and inept handling post-release, but maybe they're just banking on it being a big exclusive early in a generation and/or being desperate?

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 16, 2014

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Dan Didio posted:

EDIT: Granted, I don't know what they're expecting out of Halo 5 after Halo 4's sharp drop-off in players and inept handling post-release, but maybe they're just banking on it being a big exclusive early in a generation and/or being desperate?

Halo 4 also still sold like 10 million copies despite being a piece of poo poo. People buy Halo games and some people will buy a console just to play the new Halo game. I doubt it will be as many as they want, but it will undoubtedly still sell some consoles.

Edit - I just looked it up. Halo 4 sold around 9 million copies, substantially more than Halo 2 (6ish million) and a decent bit less than Halo 3 (11ish million). People are still going to buy Halo. Its a pretty significant exclusive.

Edit 2 - I forgot Halo Reach was actually the last Bungie developed Halo game. It sold 9.5 million copies, only slightly more than the non Bungie Halo 4.

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 16, 2014

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Halo 4 also still sold like 10 million copies despite being a piece of poo poo. People buy Halo games and some people will buy a console just to play the new Halo game. I doubt it will be as many as they want, but it will undoubtedly still sell some consoles.

Edit - I just looked it up. Halo 4 sold around 9 million copies, substantially more than Halo 2 (6ish million) and a decent bit less than Halo 3 (11ish million). People are still going to buy Halo. Its a pretty significant exclusive.

Edit 2 - I forgot Halo Reach was actually the last Bungie developed Halo game. It sold 9.5 million copies, only slightly more than the non Bungie Halo 4.

Halo 4 probably had that strong or at least adequate sales because it was still riding off the success of Bungie. "Oh, the game can't be that bad. I mean, the map packs they made for Reach weren't all that terrible."

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Yes, it sold well, but it also experienced an incredibly sharp and severe drop-off in players. Now that Bungie is making another sci-fi shooter and the only Halo games are 343, there might not be as many people rushing to get it. Hell, there definitely won't be.

The point being that Halo 4 selling well doesn't mean much of anything after it's abysmal post-release decline. Wether or not Halo 5 sells well will be really telling.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 16, 2014

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
My fellow blue skies in games campaigners and enjoyers of games with colours, the Sunset Overdrive "you can talk about the demo you played" embargo expired and it's looking like a party: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/unfinished-sunset-overdrive-05-15-2014/2300-8889/

Early look into customization some 16 minutes in. Somewhere on Gamespot there's supposed to be their own coverage but I never found anything this long. (Sadly the game suffers from idiotic black crush ruining the "colourful and bright" effect)

(Remove the black crush, push the framerate to steady 60, make movement and action 3-5 times as fast and call it Dreamcast mode)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 16, 2014

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

My fellow blue skies in games campaigners and enjoyers of games with colours, the Sunset Overdrive "you can talk about the demo you played" embargo expired and it's looking like a party: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/unfinished-sunset-overdrive-05-15-2014/2300-8889/

Early look into customization some 16 minutes in. Somewhere on Gamespot there's supposed to be their own coverage but I never found anything this long. (Sadly the game suffers from idiotic black crush ruining the "colourful and bright" effect)

(Remove the black crush, push the framerate to steady 60, make movement and action 3-5 times as fast and call it Dreamcast mode)

Exctied to check out these videos on my lunch break. I am curious about this game, but I dont really like Ratchet and Clank or Resistance so I am not sure how to feel about the devs. On the other hand, I do like Dead Rising which seems to be a big influence.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Wheany posted:

I don't know if "36 times bigger" means "as big as the PC version", but I don't think there needs to be any restrictions to the world size now. According to both the debug view in-game and Windows' task manager, the game only uses about 1 GB of RAM.

35 times bigger than the 360 version isn't comparable to the PC version because the world size on the PC version is literally infinite. However, the Xbox One and PS4 can both handle the infinite worlds no problem, power-wise. The game only keeps a ring of "active" chunks around you, so it doesn't need to be processing the entire world at the same time, which is why it doesn't just eat all your RAM for breakfast. The issue with consoles is save file size and the restrictions Microsoft and Sony put upon them.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Laserface posted:

I have no idea how anyone can play any form of minecraft for any period of time and not think of anything else that would be more engaging that they could do instead, such as play an actual game.

The only thing worse is people who watch other people play minecraft on youtube.

Yeah all those idiots playing a fake game like minecraft why don't they play a real game like wii sports or tetris.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Sales of sequels tend to depend heavily on how good the previous game in the series is considered. For example, Resi 5 did well because Resi 4 was considered very good, while Resi 6 bombed because Resi 5 was considered fairly rubbish. Halo 4 did well because Halo Reach was good, I expect Halo 5 to bomb because Halo 4 was considered poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

/\/\/\/\ Except that ODST, developed by Bungie, sold (relatively) poorly compared to Halo 3 and Reach (which it was sandwhiched between), despite 3 and Reach both being considered excellent games that both sold very well. If it seems like Halo 5 is headed in a direction that fans like, it will do fine sales wise and sell consoles. If it seems like more of the same after Halo 4, sales will be hurt but itll still sell fairly well (like ODST and Halo 4).

Stux posted:

Yeah all those idiots playing a fake game like minecraft why don't they play a real game like wii sports or tetris.

pfft, who has time for minecraft, I have to spend the next 3 hours grinding levels in Dark Souls so I can fight the next boss. I am the only one who understands what is fun and am unable to comprehend that other people are entertained by different things

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 16, 2014

• Locked thread