Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

mariooncrack posted:

If you have a micro center near you, consider going there for your motherboard and processor. They have really good bundle deals on those and overall pretty good prices.

Closest one to me is 2 hours away :( I miss being able to go and kill a few hours in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Well, I just blew that interview. :smithicide:

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Well, I just blew that interview. :smithicide:

What went wrong?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

He asked what kind of testing equipment I've used and I couldn't remember the brand name. It was on the tip of my tongue. As I got into my car my brain screamed, "FLUKE GOD DAMMIT, FLUKE!"

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

So I sprained my finger messing around with doing the timing on my friends truck last night. My hands slipped off the distributor and my middle finger went directly into the engine fan. No external damage but I cant bend it. Im just glad its still attached :ohdear:

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
You're so lucky, I know 2 locals that had to have finger(s) stitched back on for doing something similar.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Last time I did it to mine I couldnt't bend it for 3 months and it took over a year for full movement to come back, and it still aches some times when nasty weather's coming in. I always thought that was an old superstition, but nope

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Over the last two weeks, I've sold most of my larger stuff and crammed the rest into boxes for the drive cross country. An interview lined up on the weekend so now I will fly out first leaving that stuff behind for the moment until the lease expires next month.

Volvo wagon didn't work out, so the current plan is to drive back with a borrowed SUV and get the boxes. It's weird seeing all your stuff fitted into one closet but at least I can be reasonably sure it'll fit into one car.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

He asked what kind of testing equipment I've used and I couldn't remember the brand name. It was on the tip of my tongue. As I got into my car my brain screamed, "FLUKE GOD DAMMIT, FLUKE!"

Did you say multimeter / clamp-on ammeter / o-scope / vibration analyzer / whatever? The brands are pretty irrelevant.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Snowdens Secret posted:

Did you say multimeter / clamp-on ammeter / o-scope / vibration analyzer / whatever? The brands are pretty irrelevant.

Yeah, seriously, if the entire job hinged on you naming specific brands of equipment then I don't know what the gently caress. :psyduck:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

13 INCH DICK posted:

Last time I did it to mine I couldnt't bend it for 3 months and it took over a year for full movement to come back, and it still aches some times when nasty weather's coming in. I always thought that was an old superstition, but nope

I did it when I was 12, left ring finger. 1956 Ford farm truck, wasn't paying attention while I was trying to wiggle a hunk of sugar cane out of the engine compartment. No blood, no break, but to this day the knuckles are stiff and hurt like shot quite often, and that was 15 years ago.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
3 years ago, I was moving a rear axle around in my garage and dropped one end on the ring finger of my left hand. It didn't hurt too bad initially, but about 10 minutes later, it felt like my finger was being repeatedly smashed with a sledgehammer, but still nothing past the knuckle closest to the fingertip.

Somehow, the fingernail didn't fall off or even bruise too badly. It took almost two years for the feeling to return to that fingertip. Never lost function or anything, just completely numb. I think the axle must have landed mostly on the joint and just severed some nerves.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Protip: pull the relay/fuse for the rad fan when setting timing. You won't accidentally lop a finger off, and it also has the benefit of not screwing with the base timing when it kicks on and puts a load on the engine.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It's a '48, I think it has a constantly driven mechanical fan. I could be wrong, did they even make thermostatic fluid clutches for fans that early?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Yea its a Ford flathead, no clutch or anything. You guys are scaring me, I hoped it would only hurt for a week or two :(

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Fart Pipe posted:

You guys are scaring me, I hoped it would only hurt for a week or two :(

NEAI_hazing_incident.txt

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

From a fully assembled B5 to dropping the subframe and yanking the oil pan: Just over 2 hours!

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Just woke up from a nap to a voicemail from my union hall. They left a message about the letter I wrote requesting to start over as a 1st year inside wireman apprentice. Should I go back to school for another 5 years (free, aside from books) and start over at $14/hr with the promise of more work and side work in my future? I'd be getting a 5% raise every 1,000 hours worked, although I would still be laid off from time to time -- just not nearly as often as the telecom guys. There is a high probability that they are going to shut down the telecom program all together and they'd all have to start over anyways. This way I'd be getting a head start on all that nonsense. I never really had an interest in being an electrician, I love doing telecom work, but there just isn't a decent market for it around here.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Just woke up from a nap to a voicemail from my union hall. They left a message about the letter I wrote requesting to start over as a 1st year inside wireman apprentice. Should I go back to school for another 5 years (free, aside from books) and start over at $14/hr with the promise of more work and side work in my future? I'd be getting a 5% raise every 1,000 hours worked, although I would still be laid off from time to time -- just not nearly as often as the telecom guys. There is a high probability that they are going to shut down the telecom program all together and they'd all have to start over anyways. This way I'd be getting a head start on all that nonsense. I never really had an interest in being an electrician, I love doing telecom work, but there just isn't a decent market for it around here.

If they kill your program, are you off the hook for your schooling?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Ozmiander posted:

If they kill your program, are you off the hook for your schooling?

:laugh:

You're never off the hook for your schooling.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

How old are you? Sounds like a good idea if you're not going after any kind of degree, getting into a solid trade is the way to go these days. You may hate it at first but the more years you put in the easier it will get and the more money you'll make. The drawback is the whole you could die if you gently caress up thing. Every electrician I've ever met has a story about someone getting hosed up or killed :(

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I'm 25. I've been doing low-voltage electrical work in the union since 2010. But since you don't need a license in MA for it and there's 25 of us compared to the 100+ inside wiremen in my hall they don't care about us. There's a $25m addition at the high school near me and the hall sent out all the electricians to do their work and the telecom work, while all the telecom guys sit on the bench. I just don't have any interest in wiring outlets and light fixtures. Lock me in a data closet so I can blast the radio and punch down server racks.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

New Roadkill tomorrow :ohdear:

Can't stop watching it

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

mariooncrack posted:

If you have a micro center near you, consider going there for your motherboard and processor. They have really good bundle deals on those and overall pretty good prices.

You ain't kidding there. When I got my board and processor, the combo wound up being something like $30 or so more than just the CPU alone.

It was a $150 board at the time.

They usually have people somewhat knowledgeable on hand too - unlike Fry's.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I've been doing some consulting for a company that, amongst other things, owns a couple of rural golf courses. Getting paid to flog the Miata on backroads in one of the most beautiful parts of one of the most beautiful states is pretty awesome, especially when a day's consulting work earns me the same pay as two and a half days at my regular job.

Also dodged a new unmarked Camaro cop car. I thought my local pigs only ran Mustangs - I didn't even know the Camaro was offered in a cop package, although I guess I'm not surprised.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Are you sure you're out of the running? I've gotten offers from every interview I thought I hosed up, and vice versa (no offers from interviews I thought I dominated)

blk fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 16, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
While waiting in line inside the theater for the 10pm screening of Godzilla we saw the 7pm audience leave. One of them had a loving sword strapped to his back. I don't even know what the gently caress.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

blk posted:

I've been doing some consulting for a company that, amongst other things, owns a couple of rural golf courses. Getting paid to flog the Miata on backroads in one of the most beautiful parts of one of the most beautiful states is pretty awesome, especially when a day's consulting work earns me the same pay as two and a half days at my regular job.

Also dodged a new unmarked Camaro cop car. I thought my local pigs only ran Mustangs - I didn't even know the Camaro was offered in a cop package, although I guess I'm not surprised.

Are you sure you're out of the running? I've gotten offers from every interview I thought I hosed up, and vice versa (no offers from interviews I thought I dominated)

Camaros and Chargers too. The State Patrol interceptors out here are actually running Chargers now. Better looking than Crown Vics, I guess.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

Camaros and Chargers too. The State Patrol interceptors out here are actually running Chargers now. Better looking than Crown Vics, I guess.

Yeah, State Police here has switched from Vics to Chargers and Tahoes. City uses Taurii and Explorers (excuse me, Interceptors). The last time State Police used a Camaro was in the late 90s, though. I need to call State and County tomorrow to see whose car it was. County stopped doing speed patrols a couple years back because of funding issues, but if they're back on the road I need to be a lot more careful. For a long time I've had the luxury of several roads I knew were never patrolled due to jurisdiction issues.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

While waiting in line inside the theater for the 10pm screening of Godzilla we saw the 7pm audience leave. One of them had a loving sword strapped to his back. I don't even know what the gently caress.

Well how was Godzilla? And who the gently caress is John Byrne?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

leica posted:

And who the gently caress is John Byrne?

If only there was a way to find out. It'd be great if we could just type in a question and find an answer immediately.

Or, since it's Rhyno, just assume it's comic book related.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

gently caress google, I wanted him to say it :colbert:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

leica posted:

gently caress google, I wanted him to say it :colbert:

Rhyno's not your monk-- Yeah. Say it Rhyno, say it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I just watched three seasons of Archer and two seasons of The Venture Bros over the last two days. Suddenly I understand so many of your guys references.

Archer is pretty good but I feel like I didn't laugh nearly as much as I did during TVB :shrug:

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

blk posted:

Wait when did you get a miata? Gave up on the S2000 dreams?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Maksimus54 posted:

Wait when did you get a miata? Gave up on the S2000 dreams?

About 10 days ago - haven't stopped considering a S2K, but this was a relatively good deal so I snagged it in the mean while. I don't have a garage and have a lot going on in my life right now so I'm going to wait for the right timing and right car; there hasn't been much out there recently.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Just ran my wallet through the washing machine. Good thing I took my Social Security Card out of it on Monday.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Idk what to tell you if you don't read Rhyno's posts as the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I had never had DQ's steak fingers until today, and jegus dongs were they delicious.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Just got a 2 week call from the union. So I had to tell my landscaping boss, who I just started working for this Monday that I can't work for the next 2 weeks and look like an rear end in a top hat. If he is pissed and doesn't hire me back on in 2 weeks I'm going to have a total meltdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah you're probably not going to get rehired.

• Locked thread