Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Buy one of the micro-sized cameras designed for filming on bikes etc and film it covertly. If they shaft you like this, show them the video. If they say you aren't allowed to film it, take their original statement and the video to the press. gently caress these people.

People have done that, having the righteous ground is all fine, but it doesn't buy food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, I'm just ranting inanely. Has anyone snapped and launched themselves at an ATOS worker yet? I haven't seen anything but I'd be surprised if they hadn't.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Yeah, I'm just ranting inanely. Has anyone snapped and launched themselves at an ATOS worker yet? I haven't seen anything but I'd be surprised if they hadn't.

"customer beat me savagely with a crutch, clearly demonstrating an ability to work and a go-to attitude"

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

DesperateDan posted:

"customer beat me savagely with a crutch, clearly demonstrating an ability to work and a go-to attitude"

The ATOS here has signs up everywhere pointing out that their zero tolerance policy is that if you threaten them you WILL be sanctioned

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

SybilVimes posted:

The ATOS here has signs up everywhere pointing out that their zero tolerance policy is that if you threaten them you WILL be sanctioned
Surely that won't stand up in court?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Pilchenstein posted:

Probably not, but who wants to find out really? I'd expect the worst they can do is persue an assault charge, some kind of restraining order, and refuse to allow you entry to ATOS facilities, which may be enough to guarantee that you are sanctioned by the DWP for a DNA at any assessment.

e: also, people on disability benefits tend not to have the cash to fight a court battle - remember, no legal aid anymore for this kind of thing, either.

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 16, 2014

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Pilchenstein posted:

Stood up in court. Legs clearly not that damaged. Fit for work.

Andy Impey
Sep 2, 2011

ultrabindu posted:

No it won't.

At this point it'd take a literal plane crash to end Farage's career.

Oh wait.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Geokinesis posted:

I know people here have talked about being assessed by ATOS so would anyone be able to go over the process?

My brother has autism and has been getting DLA and is now called up for an assessment by ATOS, after all the horror stories I'm pretty worried. :ohdear:

I'm probably a bit late on this but to echo what other people have said, don't give them anything they don't ask for and they will be trying to catch you out.

However, if they assess that your brother shouldn't get anything, don't be afraid to appeal and appeal strongly. The last time I had an assessment I ended up having to appeal. I got letters from my psychiatrist, GP and psychotherapist and I wrote them a letter detailing point by point exactly why their medical professional's assessment was wrong. In the end the appeal tribunal found in my favour and *touch wood* I've not heard from ATOS since (beyond filling in the annual form).

Bottom line is that don't be disheartened if after the assessment it turns out they're arseholes. You can still get what your brother needs and if you need it I'll be more than happy to help with an appeal.

fake edit: Obviously I hope it never has to go that far!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Has anyone snapped and launched themselves at an ATOS worker yet?
If the scrounging scum can throw a punch, they're fit for work. Checkmate. :smug:

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
I remember a recording of an ATOS assessment awhile ago where upon finding out the blokes best friend had killed themselves very recently, the medically untrained assessor really pushed about any possible suicidal thoughts. This inevitably led to them fleeing the room with a panic attack and being marked down as a failure to attend.

It's horror stories like that which have kind of discouraged me from applying for any benefits at all.

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!

twoot posted:

It sounds like a branded disease.

I'd be more concerned if the marketing became competitive. Or we'd end up with the "HTC Terminal One"

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Fatty posted:

I remember a recording of an ATOS assessment awhile ago where upon finding out the blokes best friend had killed themselves very recently, the medically untrained assessor really pushed about any possible suicidal thoughts. This inevitably led to them fleeing the room with a panic attack and being marked down as a failure to attend.

It's horror stories like that which have kind of discouraged me from applying for any benefits at all.

Don't let them win. Apply for every benefit you're entitled to and if they pull poo poo like that then you appeal and complain and get the person involved disciplined. I know it's easy for someone else to come along and say "do this/don't do that" but they are relying on people not claiming.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Who the gently caress even works for ATOS? I don't mean at the high-level, I mean who are those supposed 'medical professionals' performing the assessments - perhaps biologically related to the scab of yesteryear?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Pilchenstein posted:

Entertaining isn't a strong enough word.

:drat:

That was my favourite bit. I don't think I've ever cheered at the radio before

I've often wondered why advertising has never reached into sponsoring, say, Train Stations, but I guess now I know the answer.

I wonder how long it'll be until a commuter town gets renamed 'Tesco-upon-Thames'

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Pilchenstein posted:

Entertaining isn't a strong enough word.

:drat:

Also: "I don't understand why you're uncomfortable listening to foreign languages when your own wife and children speak them, and I don't understand why you talk about problems in Primary schools that are caused by children like your own".

:owned:

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Hungry posted:

Who the gently caress even works for ATOS? I don't mean at the high-level, I mean who are those supposed 'medical professionals' performing the assessments - perhaps biologically related to the scab of yesteryear?

If Jack London had lived today...

After God had finished the rattlesnake, the toad, and the vampire, he had some awful substance left with which he made an ATOS assessor. An ATOS assessor is a two-legged animal with a corkscrew soul, a water brain, a combination backbone of jelly and glue. Where others have hearts, he carries a tumor of rotten principles. When an ATOS assessor comes down the street, men turn their backs and angels weep in heaven, and the devil shuts the gates of hell to keep him out. No man (or woman) has a right to assess for ATOS so long as there is a pool of water to drown his carcass in, or a rope long enough to hang his body with. Judas was a gentleman compared with an ATOS assessor. For betraying his master, he had character enough to hang himself. An ATOS assessor has not. Esau sold his birthright for a mess of pottage. Judas sold his Savior for thirty pieces of silver. Benedict Arnold sold his country for a promise of a commision in the british army. The ATOS assessor sells his birthright, country, his wife, his children and his fellowmen for an unfulfilled promise from his employer. Esau was a traitor to himself; Judas was a traitor to his God; Benedict Arnold was a traitor to his country. An ATOS assessor is a traitor to his God, his country, his family and his class.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
To be fair to ATOS employees, they know exactly what the 'workshy' face, so I'm not surprised they keep working in a job that is so evil.

Also, remember that ATOS is primarily an IT company, a lot of their employees probably enter the company expecting an 'IT' related job.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

frontlineKHAAAN! posted:

Also: "I don't understand why you're uncomfortable listening to foreign languages when your own wife and children speak them, and I don't understand why you talk about problems in Primary schools that are caused by children like your own".

:owned:

Can't believe he's still dragging that line out. For a massive 'gently caress you' response to that argument, see this awesome BBC news report on one of those schools. The kids themselves are adorable :3:

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Hungry posted:

They don't have medical professionals. The assessment is not based in medical science in any way.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DesperateDan posted:

"I recommend a placement with the police."

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I dunno about upper management being told what to do, I wasn't there for very long, but down on the floor we just tried to do the best, fastest (hence the Never Wrong For Long First For Breaking News tagline) but it was pretty galling when they were doing features on zero hours contracts going "hey email us with yr opinions" and I'm there like "uhhh I am on 0 hours I work at that desk just off camera".

But I don't think anyone gives a poo poo about the Murdoch's opinions, everybody trying their hardest Not To Get Fired and not have the channel shut down, as it's basically a pit into which BSkyB pours money for no tangible gain. Here's a good blog piece by another ex-Sky bod http://fryingpanfire.com/2010/06/skys-the-limit/

(by "strong-willed stakeholders" read "total pebbledicks")

I guess I really meant to ask if the editorial line follows Murdoch's agenda, and all the critical analysis is a calculated way of positioning themselves, that gets dropped when it would conflict with Roop's interests? Or is it down to the ground-level management saying "I don't give a gently caress, we report the news here!". Because it honestly seems more Mirror than Sun sometimes, and during the floods it seemed to be the only channel even questioning dredging and suggesting it was government spin. I was having a lot of double-take moments

Is it me or is that blog post implying that people's opinions of Burley and Boulton (i.e. they're poo poo) are based on one isolated incident each? Stockholm syndrome?

DesperateDan posted:

It's damaging, but it won't sink fartrage. Too many brits would probably nod along to the whole idea of judging where people come from as fine, just so long as they don't openly pick on "the blacks". That's racism in Britain today, attack any facet of race bar colour of skin, and it just doesn't register as racism to so many :(

It's a good, solid kick to the danglies though, and it sure cheered me up :)

On the other hand, any amount of public criticism is good, especially when it's directly calling him out on his own lies and hypocrisy, letting him spit out unconvincing, unprepared answers and putting the straight-talking Farage myth on shaky ground. Especially good when you're really well-prepared like this guy was, all the facts at hand and the arguments thought out. Just pursuing a thread and not letting him wave you off with a deflection or some attempt at 'we don't know if that's true' is a novelty.

It sure isn't going to convince everyone, but hopefully it'll at least give certain people second thoughts about exactly what this guy is selling, and if he is trading on racism and xenophobia instead of facts and legit criticisms. And racism doesn't go away on its own, it takes people calling it out and shining a light on those attitudes, so this is at least part of the process of making his poo poo unacceptable (and everyone else's). Get some cognitive dissonance brewing!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hungry posted:

I applied for a job their earlier in the year. I hated myself for even sending the application, and was never so happy to get knocked back before the interview stage. It has to be an utterly soul-crushing job, and I feared the mental harm it would do to me being forced to meet quotas for loving disabled people over and I only applied on the basis that long-term unemployment is pretty soul-crushing in its own way. And if you don't apply for jobs your advisor specifically points out, well, then you're in trouble.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I saw the worst Party Political Broadcast (politically and aesthetically) I've ever seen last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJYctoNKbcE

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Kegluneq posted:

Can't believe he's still dragging that line out. For a massive 'gently caress you' response to that argument, see this awesome BBC news report on one of those schools. The kids themselves are adorable :3:

Who are the "Campaign for Real Education" and should I hate them as much as I do right now after seeing their spokesman in that report?

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Holy poo poo, I was not expecting this to be as amazing as it is. He just KEEPS setting him up for these massive burns. Every question is gold.

"What about the small business spokesman who employed 7 illegal immigrants?"
"He's no longer a director, his sons run the business. They have got a big row going on..."
"He resigned, to be clear, 3 days after the immigration raid."

"Maybe someone in his business made a mistake."
"7 mistakes?"

"Anyone who's been a member of the BNP is banned from joining the party."
"Okay.. what if we look at your associations with the BNP?"

"You had lunch with this guy who wrote an expose of jews in the media."
"Yes, he was someone who was brought into the center of UKIP, and then we discovered what kind of person he was, and I haven't seen him since."
"But this was after the publication of his book. You'd read what he had written. 'The Grand Plan; The Origins of Non-White Immigration'"

"A UKIP councillor said gays should be shot and it would prove that homosexuality is a choice. What happens to him now?"
"He'll face a disciplinary charge on whether he's brought the party into disrepute."
"That was on the 17th of February."
"Was it? I don't know. I don't know."

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Lord Twisted posted:

That was pretty brutal. However I was reminded at times of the question time with Nick Griffin where the main issue is sometimes they don't let the loving interviewee actually answer a question. Continually interrupting them is lazy and makes it easier to defend the interviewee instead of letting them give an answer and then just blasting it to pieces (as was done a lot in that interview just not as much as I had hoped)

Let them hang themselves with their own rope.
Farage isn't Griffen, though. O'Brien gave him some more leeway in the beginning of the interview and Farage does exactly what you'd expect him to do: he doesn't answer the question and starts summing up his pre-prepared talking points. O'Brien did wonderfully, actually, throwing Farage off and then giving him just enough time to say something he shouldn't have, before steaming onwards before Farage can shoehorn in his irrelevant talking points.

It's a beautiful cautionary tale for politicians about the dangers of sticking too close to your talking points. At some point, some interviewer is going to wise up and know exactly what you're going to say and he's going to just lay a trap for you to waltz in.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

The IPCC is currently hiring junior investigators if people are interested - you have to be unbiased in your approach to investigations though. Also anyone posting here will fail the background check.

LBC is fast becoming my favorite radio station, I have just spammed facebook and twitter with that interview, so good.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, Farage looking like a nob is always funny. Thanks for that link, whoever it was.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

baka kaba posted:

I guess I really meant to ask if the editorial line follows Murdoch's agenda, and all the critical analysis is a calculated way of positioning themselves, that gets dropped when it would conflict with Roop's interests? Or is it down to the ground-level management saying "I don't give a gently caress, we report the news here!". Because it honestly seems more Mirror than Sun sometimes, and during the floods it seemed to be the only channel even questioning dredging and suggesting it was government spin. I was having a lot of double-take moments

Is it me or is that blog post implying that people's opinions of Burley and Boulton (i.e. they're poo poo) are based on one isolated incident each? Stockholm syndrome?

Oh I don't know if there's a top down editorial line from BSkyB or whoever, but the guidelines say this:

I know the management aren't as hand picked as the Fox News lot though.

As for that blog post it was written shortly after the general election so I think they were using the two most recent high profile examples.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

CancerCakes posted:

The IPCC is currently hiring junior investigators if people are interested - you have to be unbiased in your approach to investigations though. Also anyone posting here will fail the background check.

LBC is fast becoming my favorite radio station, I have just spammed facebook and twitter with that interview, so good.

I looked and they seem to have closed trainee recruitment - shame as it seems like a pretty good job.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
This Farage interview is a thing of beauty. I can't stop watching!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Gort posted:

This Farage interview is a thing of beauty. I can't stop watching!

Comments are amazing, soooo many calling the interviewer a leftie loony.
For asking loving questions.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Re: ATOS chat

Hungry posted:

Occasionally nurses, sometimes physiotherapists. Never doctors. And, critically, never someone with experience of mental health.

My uncle went through this nonsense a few months ago. He's been on long term sick following an injury at work and has variable pain which makes him pretty restless and miserable at times. Of course, on a good day he can sit for a few hours, or walk to the shops and back with no problems. And being a guy who doesn't want to cause any trouble, that's what he told the ATOS interviewer. He didn't mention that he needed two people to help him up the stairs into the building, or that he got my aunt to pull the car over on the way to the interview so he could walk about for a bit.

They hosed him and this resulted in a protracted appeal process which either caused or exacerbated some mental health problems. gently caress them, seriously.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012
Holy poo poo!

Gove announces plan to privatise Child Protection Services.

And he does it quietly.

The Guardian posted:

The power to take children away from their families could be privatised along with other child protection services under controversial plans the government has quietly announced.

The proposal from Michael Gove's Department for Education (DfE) to permit the outsourcing of children's social services to companies such as G4S and Serco has alarmed experts. They say profit-making companies should not be in charge of such sensitive family matters, and warn that the introduction of the profit motive into child protection may distort the decision-making process.

A DfE consultation paper published last month argues that enabling local authorities to outsource children's social services will encourage innovation and improve outcomes for at-risk youngsters.

Private providers will allow authorities to "harness third party expertise" and "stimulate new approaches to securing improvements" for safeguarding services outside "traditional hierarchies", the document says.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

It begins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLfghLQE3F4

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

More like the child catcher from chitty chitty bang bang.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
"But there will be no obligation for local councils to put this out to private bidders" */cuts the funding of local councils*.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

How the gently caress does that argument even fly? Whenever there's a privatisation proposal it's always backed by some report that suggests that - get this! - the private sector could increase competition and innovation and improve outcomes! Even ignoring that this doesn't happen, the proposals are the exact same poo poo every time, but they're always presented and reported as some novel idea that's the result of fresh thinking and serious analysis.

"A Department for Bears consultation paper published last month argues that making GBS threads in the woods will encourage innovation and improve outcomes for bears."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
That's an interesting study. How does the Pope feel about it?

• Locked thread