Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

raditts posted:

Even the 3DS took about 2 years before it had anything worth a poo poo.

Bravely Default for how bad the story was is probably going to be my favorite game of this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

raditts posted:

Even the 3DS took about 2 years before it had anything worth a poo poo.

Yeah, I remember that early period when all there was to play were N64 ports, and a Pilotwings tech demo. People always forget how barren the previous console launches were, since the PS4 and Xb1 have been so much better in comparison.

At least there's a ton of cross-gen games to play, even if they're not exclusive. Ground Zeroes wasn't any less fun to play just because I could have played it on my PS3 at a much lower resolution and frame rate, plus it doesn't have the built-in recording that you could use to make this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMsQbk5tXhM

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It sounds like Microsoft's big game at their E3 keynote will be.. wait for it... wait for it...... oh the anticipation

CALL OF DUTY!! Can you believe it????

Gamespot posted:

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare E3 2014 showing will be "incredibly special"

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare developer Sledgehammer Games has big plans for E3 2014, the marquee video game industry event that is now just three weeks away. In a post on the Sledgehammer Games website, cofounders Glen Schofield and Michael Condrey said after nearly three years of development, they are eager to show their game off to the world.

"Our show plans are shaping up to be incredibly special," the pair said. "We've been busy reading all your comments, watching all your videos, and absolutely glowing with the excitement of sharing more with the greatest community on earth--the Call of Duty community."

Schofield and Condrey didn't offer anything in the way of specifics concerning what part of Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare we'll get to see or when we'll get to see it. Unlike other big-time third-party publishers like Electronic Arts and Ubisoft, Activision does not hold its own press conference at E3. But given Activision's longstanding partnership with Microsoft for DLC, it's possible that the game will be on display during Microsoft's E3 2014 briefing.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Quest For Glory II posted:

It sounds like Microsoft's big game at their E3 keynote will be.. wait for it... wait for it...... oh the anticipation

CALL OF DUTY!! Can you believe it????

...They really are convinced that if they act like CoD is an Xbox exclusive, it will suddenly become reality, don't they?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Unclear if these will be broadcast to the public (some Nintendo evening presentations aren't), but this was just announced:

NintendoLife posted:

Nintendo may not have a main stage E3 press event in its plans this year, but that does not mean it won't have any interesting presentations.

Press have been receiving invitations to two developer discussion events, each scheduled to run for about 90 minutes. The first, planned for Tuesday, 10th June from 7-8:30 p.m. PST, will focus on the upcoming Super Smash Bros. games. Director Masahiro Sakurai is expected to be present.

The second event, scheduled for Wednesday, 11th June from 6-7:30 p.m. PST, is somewhat more mysterious. Nintendo has only revealed so far that this presentation will be on "a new game for 3DS."

A 90 minute presentation for one unannounced game, seems like a pretty significant card Nintendo's going to play. Not for their dying console of course!! For the one that actually makes money.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Majora's Mask 3D. I want to believe.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
how about an actual new game please

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Good one

Electromax
May 6, 2007
What are they gonna talk about for 90 minutes if it's Majora's Mask?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The most letdown-appropriate reveal would be if it was 90 minutes of talking NFC skylanders poo poo like they've threatened to talk about at E3, so that's what I'm prepared for

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

PantsBandit posted:

Majora's Mask 3D. I want to believe.

I want it too, but I don't think that warrants a 90 mins presser.

Smash bros though I want that public

The most letdown-appropriate reveal would be if it was 90 minutes of talking NFC skylanders poo poo like they've threatened to talk about at E3, so that's what I'm prepared for

A Nintendo all-star figurines game would be awesome though.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
"We are pleased to announce a new game in the metroid series, Metroid: other other M"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Is Miyamoto working on a new IP, or did I imagine that? That's what I'll hope it is, even though "Nintendo Figurine Crap" is way more likely.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Electromax posted:

What are they gonna talk about for 90 minutes if it's Majora's Mask?

It's a Q&A session where the Zelda producers are presented fan theories on the world of Majora's Mask and give each individual theory either a thumbs up or a thumbs down.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

JethroMcB posted:

Is Miyamoto working on a new IP, or did I imagine that? That's what I'll hope it is, even though "Nintendo Figurine Crap" is way more likely.

What do you actually do in Skylanders? Is there any game at all, or is it just a device to drain money from the parents' bank accounts so the kids can have disfigured toys of Crash and Spyro?

Good for Nintendo if they can copy it and have some good news in their sales figures, but it's going to be like everything else they've done, where none of the good stuff ever comes out of Japan. There's bound to be some region locking, so if you ever wanted to use that Japanese figurine of Totakeke, you'll need a Japanese Wii U and a Japanese copy of the game to go with it.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

It's a Q&A session where the Zelda producers are presented fan theories on the world of Majora's Mask and give each individual theory either a thumbs up or a thumbs down.

Thank God they released an official time line, to shut up the people who actually thought it mattered. I can't wait to see the reason why all the kids inside the moon resemble the Happy Mask Salesman. It'd be the Zelda equivalent of nanomachines.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 16, 2014

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

From Nintendo? Hahaha no.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Nintendo actually has been making new IP. The problem is, all said IP are either confined to digital downloads (Pushmo/Pullblox/Crashmo/Dropblox, Dillon's Rolling Western, Sakura Samurai, Rusty's Real Deal Baseball) or sell like month-old milk (The Wonderful 101).

I suppose Steel Diver doesn't really fit into either of those niches, but that game is kinda awful, to my understanding.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kirios posted:

The Wii U has no games!

Except it has the best games of the three consoles so far. Seriously where the gently caress are the good PS4 / Xbox One games? The best one I've seen so far is Second Son and even that is "Meh...it looks good, I'd probably buy that at 20 dollars."
Hello man who has been ignoring the indie games.

Kirios posted:

Look, the game was heavily criticized when it came out because it was too similar to the other inFAMOUS games. Like it or not it's a pretty accurate characterization of Second Son. Despite that it still has overall good reviews. Which means it is a good game but it was brought down because there was no innovation...just iteration.

"The Ps4 isn't worth it cause all its games are just iterations on older franchises. Now let me tell you about the WiiU's amazing games, 2D Mario, Donkey Kong, Pikmin, Mario Kart with no Battle Mode, and The Same Zelda Game Made In 2002.

Astro Nut posted:

...They really are convinced that if they act like CoD is an Xbox exclusive, it will suddenly become reality, don't they?
Thats been their strategy for every E3 since 2009, save last year. Why would you expect them to stop it now?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Huh...that's one hell of a leap of logic Fulchrum. I'm impressed, really.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Kirios posted:

Huh...that's one hell of a leap of logic Fulchrum. I'm impressed, really.

He's a really bad poster so don't let it bother you

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

You're a good man Kewpuh and don't let the cesspool that is SA tell you otherwise.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
I keep him around because occasionally he makes posts like this:

Fulchrum posted:

Well, I could point out you're comparing the peak results of the Dreamcasts established hardware versus the new hardware of the Ps2, but I was talking more in terms of gameplay. The Ps2 was when games made the true transition from an attempted emulation of the console experience to a more fully realised idea of console games as an experience meant not just to amuse, but to really sink ones teeth into. Lets compare the way the two consoles approached puzzle games. The Dreamcast gives us Chu Chu Rocket - colourful, simple, cartoony. Gaming equivalent of candy. The Ps2 gives us Ico. Artistic, hauntingly beautiful, impactful in the way no game before it could have been. Gamings ambrosia.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

He sounds like a freshman in college that thinks he's the greatest mind to ever step foot on the Internet.

I appreciate the information Kewpuh...I'll know to temper my expectations around him next time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Honestly I don't know what we're really getting in video games this year because it sounds like 2014 is going to be full of HD remasters rather than original games, so I don't think anyone's going to be able to throw stones over "no games" at this point.

Destiny, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Dragon Age 3 and Far Cry 4 are the only games that we know are coming out this year, and a lot of the E3 rumors are like.. Halo 2 HD, GTAV Remastered, Metro 2033 Remastered, not anything for 2014 that sounds super exciting.

A clip show year. This is like that time we played Halo 2, Lois!!

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Honestly I don't know what we're really getting in video games this year because it sounds like 2014 is going to be full of HD remasters rather than original games, so I don't think anyone's going to be able to throw stones over "no games" at this point.

Destiny, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Dragon Age 3 and Far Cry 4 are the only games that we know are coming out this year, and a lot of the E3 rumors are like.. Halo 2 HD, GTAV Remastered, Metro 2033 Remastered, not anything for 2014 that sounds super exciting.

A clip show year. This is like that time we played Halo 2, Lois!!

Sad, but sounds pretty true. I don't doubt we will see some cool stuff, but the prospects of anything announced at E3 2014 dropping before 2015 seem to be pretty much nil.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Stuff announced by Nintendo will, but only because they literally subscribe to the Sega Saturn business model of "..AND IT'S OUT TODAY!!!" They announce stuff that's within 6 months but then talk very little about the future. Games are not hyped so much as they sneak attack.

Last year though Nintendo really did not bring much to show other than to confirm the release dates of the games that we knew existed already. This year's a complete mystery.

Microsoft typically announces titles that are at least a year off. Sony last year cushioned the announcements of titles a year off by also showing off a lot of indie titles that had much shorter development pipelines, and they'll probably do that again this year.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
They've also got the first bit of gameplay footage for Uncharted 4, which, if we follow the typical Naughty Dog formula, will be out for the holidays.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Stuff announced by Nintendo will, but only because they literally subscribe to the Sega Saturn business model of "..AND IT'S OUT TODAY!!!" They announce stuff that's within 6 months but then talk very little about the future. Games are not hyped so much as they sneak attack.

Last year though Nintendo really did not bring much to show other than to confirm the release dates of the games that we knew existed already. This year's a complete mystery.

Microsoft typically announces titles that are at least a year off. Sony last year cushioned the announcements of titles a year off by also showing off a lot of indie titles that had much shorter development pipelines, and they'll probably do that again this year.

Donkey kong, Mario 3D World, Mario kart 8, and the New Smash bros. weren't much to show?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Pixeltendo posted:

Donkey kong, Mario 3D World, Mario kart 8, and the New Smash bros. weren't much to show?

Eh, they were pretty much all for 2014. I would definitely say I'm looking forward to more Smash info in 3 weeks, though! That's all I need. :allears:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I am interested to learn about Nintendo's new hardware platform for emerging markets, but that's probably too far out and maybe not a good fit for E3 anyway.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Pixeltendo posted:

Given the number of people I saw on GAF say that even Microsoft's conference was better than Nintendo's E3 2013 Direct... yeah, that would appear to be the case.

A lot of people were really down on Super Mario 3D World being more like Super Mario 3D Land than Super Mario Galaxy (at least, until that game came out). Other people were miffed Retro was making another Donkey Kong Country game rather than another Metroid Prime (ignore that Returns sold more than all sales of the Prime trilogy combined - although I can empathize, I really want another Prime-esque game too). Pretty much everyone was miffed that the Direct was about as watchable as this.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Silento posted:

Eh, they were pretty much all for 2014. I would definitely say I'm looking forward to more Smash info in 3 weeks, though! That's all I need. :allears:

Well yeah beyond Mario all those were slated for this year, well Donkey kong wasn't at first.

But we did still get Pikmin 3, The Wind waker HD and The wonderful 101 last year even if it isn't much...

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

What's it going to take to bring back the Road Rash series? Didn't EA make that with SEGA owning the publishing rights?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Pixeltendo posted:

Well... it was the first time we saw M3DW, MK8, and Smash, but we did know about them already. The only thing is that people didn't know what type of 3D Mario we were getting, but we knew we were getting one by the end of the year. Mario Kart 8 at one point was expected to be a holiday 2013 title. Then you had Bayonetta 2 and X which were announced in 2012, and Wind Waker U which was announced in an earlier Nintendo Direct, and SMT/Fire Emblem was announced in an earlier Nintendo Direct.

This year we're kind of flying in completely blind. The only titles on the release calendar from Nintendo after E3 are Smash Bros and Pokemon Art Academy. That's literally it. And I'm using literally correctly. First-party, that's all we know of. Second party, there's Bayonetta 2 and Hyrule Warriors, and again, literally, that's it for 2014.

They're gonna show Zelda for Wii U, but it's set for 2015. X is not listed for 2014 on Nintendo's website so it also is likely for 2015. So Nintendo's 2014 calendar and E3 announcements are a complete mystery.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 17, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Speaking of HD remasters:

Gamespot posted:

We'd heard rumors before that Microsoft was working on an anniversary Edition of Halo 2, but it looks like the scope of Master Chief's revival is going to be quite a bit larger on Xbox One. Sources report that HD versions of Halo 1 through Halo 4 are coming to Microsoft's latest console with a Master Chief Edition.

The collection is coming to "refresh audiences' memories" prior to the release of Halo 5, as reported by tech blog Engadget. No details were provided on whether the game would come out digitally or in a physical disc, nor what the expected frame-rate and resolution would be. However, it's unlikely that the game would also include side-stories like Halo: Reach and Halo: ODST.

I don't even know how one could marathon their way through the Halo series. At what point does it all start to blur together and you forget who you are and what your purpose is in life.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Speaking of HD remasters:

I don't even know how one could marathon their way through the Halo series. At what point does it all start to blur together and you forget who you are and what your purpose is in life.

Eh?! Eh?! :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

Sad, but sounds pretty true. I don't doubt we will see some cool stuff, but the prospects of anything announced at E3 2014 dropping before 2015 seem to be pretty much nil.

That's true of every E3. Anything new announced is probably going to be shown as "coming soon" at the next E3. The PR campaign for unreleased games runs on cycles that last years. It's a really unhealthy way to run the industry but they've built their customer base around those players now.

All those identical corridors... but now in HD!

They're gonna show Zelda for Wii U, but it's set for 2015. X is not listed for 2014 on Nintendo's website so it also is likely for 2015. So Nintendo's 2014 calendar and E3 announcements are a complete mystery.

At least with Nintendo I can believe that they've got stuff for 2014 that they haven't announced yet. They haven't been doing as much of their "announce a product two months before releasing it" tricks lately as they've been trying to prop up the Wii U but keeping their projects really quiet until their done is their M.O.

That said, I'll be shocked if they're keeping anything major for the end of the year hidden. The best they might pull out of their hat at E3 is a "Please pay attention to the Wii U" campaign.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Even more so since they're leaving out the two more interesting (and better) halo games. I think anyway, at least.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Well... it was the first time we saw M3DW, MK8, and Smash, but we did know about them already. The only thing is that people didn't know what type of 3D Mario we were getting, but we knew we were getting one by the end of the year. Mario Kart 8 at one point was expected to be a holiday 2013 title. Then you had Bayonetta 2 and X which were announced in 2012, and Wind Waker U which was announced in an earlier Nintendo Direct, and SMT/Fire Emblem was announced in an earlier Nintendo Direct.

This year we're kind of flying in completely blind. The only titles on the release calendar from Nintendo after E3 are Smash Bros and Pokemon Art Academy. That's literally it. And I'm using literally correctly. First-party, that's all we know of. Second party, there's Bayonetta 2 and Hyrule Warriors, and again, literally, that's it for 2014.

There's also titles we still haven't seen much of too, like Yarn Yoshi, SMT X Fire Emblem and maybe the Pokemon fighter if its a thing, but yeah a lot of unknowns, so it'll be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Random Stranger posted:

All those identical corridors... but now in HD!

I saw someone post that Halo 1 was a great game the other day. I presume they were having a stroke from the opening till the moment you step out on to the Halo, saw the sweet skybox, then resumed having a stroke for the rest of the game.

• Locked thread