Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Coughing Hobo posted:

I'm not in the localization business, and I do the same thing. You should hire me. I'm your coil tank, I think I deserve the handout.

MMOs - the finest way to do recruitment. :v:

(As if you need the extra work, you maniac :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

E&L's translation has two serious problems at least to me and neither is crippling:

It's a little dry. Not hugely dry but the characters are not great about having distinctive voices and it really could use just a little more flare. It isn't anything terrible and the characters still have personality but it's just drier than it should be.

The second is that the translation really needed a more dedicated editor. There are typos that really should have been easily caught. In a few situations items have multiple names which can be annoying or even obfuscate an assignment. (You need Tonic Powder instead of Strong Powder.) Finally, changing the damage rankings really does absolutely nothing but confuse people even if it was an intentional change. There are also a few times that text goes outside the text box.

Neither is a tremendously huge problem. I'd say it is more that it is sloppy. I had a perfectly fine time with the game and it didn't have anything that made me groan as hard as, say, NISA translating a character's name as "Esti Dee", it just had things that really should have been run past an editor or caught by whatever editor they had.

I really don't think it should be an "avoid the game" thing. The translation should be better but it isn't a game-ruining experience.

(Also I would pay so many dollars for CF-translated Atelier you guys don't even know.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 14, 2014

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Forest Thief Pud posted:

Beyond the ones already mentioned, the only other games I can think of off the top of my head that has a hidden super form of the final boss would be Graces f and Last Remnant. Does anyone know of some others, just out of curiosity?

Sephiroth's stats and HP in FFVII change depending on what sort of poo poo you in the preceding battles, and depending on how high leveled your party is, to the point where he'll have 5x the HP, 2.6x the defense, and modest buffs to attack and magic. It's not quite superboss level (half of Emerald's HP, but 80 more defense), but I always thought it was a really cool thing, and I wish they'd done more with that in the series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

S-Alpha posted:

Sephiroth's stats and HP in FFVII change depending on what sort of poo poo you in the preceding battles, and depending on how high leveled your party is, to the point where he'll have 5x the HP, 2.6x the defense, and modest buffs to attack and magic. It's not quite superboss level (half of Emerald's HP, but 80 more defense), but I always thought it was a really cool thing, and I wish they'd done more with that in the series.

I think one of the biggest boosts is if you have KotR and use it in a previous battle, probably to avoid oneshotting him in that case.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Levantine posted:

Dragon Quest VIII sort of did this. There was an entire area with upgraded enemies culminating in a boss fight that got progressively harder each time you beat him. Beating the sidequest allowed you to tackle the final boss, though not upgraded and get the "true" ending. I wish more games did stuff like that.

I still love DQVI just for their take on this. If you beat the hardest boss in the optional dungeon, he goes "Well, you're stronger than me, so there's not much I can really do to reward yo- oh, wait, I got it." And then he teleports you all to the endboss and just wrecks each and every one of that guy's forms for you, waves goodbye, and runs the ending.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I still love DQVI just for their take on this. If you beat the hardest boss in the optional dungeon, he goes "Well, you're stronger than me, so there's not much I can really do to reward yo- oh, wait, I got it." And then he teleports you all to the endboss and just wrecks each and every one of that guy's forms for you, waves goodbye, and runs the ending.
This is no joke btw, every single attack that the final boss does on the "secret boss" in the mock final fight has a special line and everything. The whole thing is hilariously well scripted.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Forest Thief Pud posted:

Here's something I've been wondering for a while, but why don't more RPGs give the final boss an unlockable super version that acts as one of the game's biggest challenge?

If you beat Lightning Returns and play through NG+ on Hard mode and unlocking the real final day you unlock a super version of the last boss.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Forest Thief Pud posted:

Here's something I've been wondering for a while, but why don't more RPGs give the final boss an unlockable super version that acts as one of the game's biggest challenge?

The Megaman Battle Network and Star Force games love this. I think every installment from BN3 on does this.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Shame the entire post game and super boss were removed from the US version of Battle Network6 because Capcom thought no one in the west cared about Boktai.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Shame the entire post game and super boss were removed from the US version of Battle Network6 because Capcom thought no one in the west cared about Boktai.
To be fair, nobody did, but on the other hand it's still weird to remove all that content. Maybe you could have even boosted Boktai's sales by cross-promoting.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Does anyone have any opinions on Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time for the PSP? Just happened upon it looking around for PSP games, I've vaguely heard of Growlanser before and I think it looks really interesting. I'm not bothered about it being dated or whatever, I like the look of it, but some reviews really complain about elements of the combat, specifically that you get unfairly demolished in tons of fights due to AI bullshit. I can't tell if these people are maybe just bad at the game though

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

I can't tell if these people are maybe just bad at the game though

The Vita thread's been talking about it recently. Basically, it's a surprisingly good game and with some careful tactics you can really steamroll some fights, which feels pretty badass. It's like an RTS except a very simplified one, using characters rather than army units. It's surprisingly long, with a whole lot to do. It's definitely worth $5 which I think it's at right now in a sale.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Paperhouse posted:

Does anyone have any opinions on Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time for the PSP? Just happened upon it looking around for PSP games, I've vaguely heard of Growlanser before and I think it looks really interesting. I'm not bothered about it being dated or whatever, I like the look of it, but some reviews really complain about elements of the combat, specifically that you get unfairly demolished in tons of fights due to AI bullshit. I can't tell if these people are maybe just bad at the game though

It has some difficult fights that are hard to get *perfect* without pre-planning or foreknowledge of the fight, but it is a very solid game and probably my favorite PSP game besides the Tactics Ogre remake

Catalina
May 20, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

(Also I would pay so many dollars for CF-translated Atelier you guys don't even know.)

Oh. Ohhhhhhhhh. Now I remember who Spacedrake is. When people change their avatars, it throws me off.

(I totally would pay lots of dollars, too. I bought Recettear twice (because I needed it in my Steam library, too, you see), and then for two friends. Then I bought Chantelise and Fortune Summoners despite the fact they might just sit in my backlog for a long time.)

You'll have to excuse me while I fantasize about a Techmo Koei and Carpe Fulgur translation collaboration on an Atelier game. :allears:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

ImpAtom posted:

The Atelier Marie thread from way, way back in 2009 or so gives you a pretty decent idea of what you could expect. Of course, that was the very first thing Robin and I ever did together and I like to think we've both improved a lot since then.

Anyway, good to hear about E&L. I guess at worst I'll be kind of distracted. :v:

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Last Remnant does that. It has a bunch of bonus bosses that are tougher versions of story bosses, and in the main story, the final boss gets 8 different versions depending on how many quests you complete.

That's not even the worst one. The regular game has a sidequest that probably has the toughest enemy in the entire game by default and you have a limited amount of turns (I think 10?) to beat it before you're dead. Once you do beat it, you get a chance to fight a super version of it that is massively stronger later AND you get something like 4 or 5 turns to beat it in. It's by far the hardest enemy in the game and nearly impossible to beat. I beat the regular version almost by sheer luck by the 9th turn and that was with a completely jacked party that never had any problems with any other enemy in the game, including most of the super versions of those bosses, but that super version wiped me something silly from what I remember.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Naky posted:

That's not even the worst one. The regular game has a sidequest that probably has the toughest enemy in the entire game by default and you have a limited amount of turns (I think 10?) to beat it before you're dead. Once you do beat it, you get a chance to fight a super version of it that is massively stronger later AND you get something like 4 or 5 turns to beat it in. It's by far the hardest enemy in the game and nearly impossible to beat. I beat the regular version almost by sheer luck by the 9th turn and that was with a completely jacked party that never had any problems with any other enemy in the game, including most of the super versions of those bosses, but that super version wiped me something silly from what I remember.

Yeah, and killing the 10-turn version is required for hiring a pretty good character (Wyngale), 100% sidequests, getting Rush to learn Wards (protection magic) and unlocking the bonus dungeon. The 10-turn version is definitely super-tough and super-frustrating to beat. Oh, and you MUST beat the boss and complete this quest before entering the final city Undelwalt, or else the quest vanishes.

The 5-turn version is essentially just for bragging rights.

Still though, the 10-turn version is beatable. I eventually did it, and I had kinda screwed up my character/grouping development more than I should have.

The Gentlemieu
Jan 1, 2013
Soiled Meat
Concerning Growlanser IV, I would recommend following a guide, because there are some insanely obtuse sidequests in that game. The beginning of most fights has you waiting for a certain period of time until getting your characters finally get in range to attack physically. Ranged fighters are incredibly useful and borderline broken. When not using ranged users, speed is and incredibly important stat so you can get to the frontlines earlier. Also, don't worry about the bonus system on your first run through, it's more geared towards new game plus.

Additionally, on new game plus you can optionally join the evil empire half-way through the game for an entirely new story line. The carry-overs from each new game suck though so expect to grind abilities for some characters to stay relevant. Also, most people with portraits are secretly recruitable. It's one of those games where your actions in battle affect who lives in the storyline and such. Failing a sidequest could result in a major character dying or being injured, etc.

Also, be prepared for some minor fanservice; it is an anime game after all. You do have relationship meters with all the women. Blinking portraits with sexually suggestive visages are a given.

Honestly, I hacked the game with CWcheats to take out the ability grinding, so you might want to do that. There are actually some really cool abilities you might not see otherwise.

Generally, it's a RTS game where you give commands and wait for the character to carry them out. Combat happens on the overworld. Magic has cast times that can be cancelled when casters are attacked. Some environmental effects take place. I'd say its largest issue is that it plays a little slow. Combined with being a large game with a interesting storyline with many twists to keep you guessing, that might be too much of a time investment.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Growlanser was too slow & long winded for me to finish, decent battle system though. Probably worth buying if you can find it cheap but I'd recommend using a guide, there are a few important things you would miss otherwise.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
So I'm considering buying Etrian Odyssey IV. I've never played any of the games in the series before, so can someone try to sell me on this?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

You should buy it. It's good.

They're polished first-person dungeon crawlers with interesting maps, great graphics, a whole lot of party customization and loot to grab, and a neat overworld. Also you get to map stuff yourself on the bottom screen.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Etrian Odyssey is a fantastic game if you enjoy first person dungeon crawlers. The challenge is there and there are lots of incredible and interesting combinations you can create with a little creativity.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Plasbad posted:

So I'm considering buying Etrian Odyssey IV. I've never played any of the games in the series before, so can someone try to sell me on this?

It's not IV, but the 3DS shop has a demo of Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl, which is a remake of EO1. You can try it to see how it plays.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
Thanks guys! It sounds like what I've been looking for in a game lately. I love games with a lot of character customization.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Catalina posted:

It's not IV, but the 3DS shop has a demo of Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl, which is a remake of EO1. You can try it to see how it plays.

How'd the transition to 3D and change from FM music go? Some people seemed bitter about messing around with the formula when that first got announced.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The new 3D monsters are fantastic, much better than the old sprites.

The music is kind of divisive though, the new stuff is very good and works for the game, but it's very different and often more atmospheric than it is exciting or fun. I like the old style better, but I don't dislike the new style.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

Catalina posted:

The eShop also has a demo of Etrian Odyssey IV as well, unless they took it off.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

The new 3D monsters are fantastic, much better than the old sprites.

The music is kind of divisive though, the new stuff is very good and works for the game, but it's very different and often more atmospheric than it is exciting or fun. I like the old style better, but I don't dislike the new style.

How in the world could anyone say that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCZjnuS6ESc

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Probably by listening to like half of the dungeon tracks which are just dark and atmospheric. Or listening to the regular or final boss's themes, which are about as unlike classic Etrian Odyssey music as possible, and kind of clash with the style of the regular battle themes in a not-so-great way.

Also the FOE music sucks and the best battle theme wasn't even done by Yuzo, which is bizarre.

Anyway, it's a good soundtrack but it feels very un-cohesive as a whole. The two main battle themes are definitely the highlight though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Probably by listening to like half of the dungeon tracks which are just dark and atmospheric. Or listening to the regular or final boss's themes, which are about as unlike classic Etrian Odyssey music as possible, and kind of clash with the style of the regular battle themes in a not-so-great way.

Also the FOE music sucks and the best battle theme wasn't even done by Yuzo, which is bizarre.

Anyway, it's a good soundtrack but it feels very un-cohesive as a whole. The two main battle themes are definitely the highlight though.

I guess I can't agree. The EO4 songs are all great. The battle songs are fast-paced as hell and the dungeon themes are atmospheric. You're right that the final boss theme is slower and more dramatic but... final boss.

Still, the music is top-notch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSBUlBYIcsc

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah there are tons of good tunes in EO4 and it's really impressive that they managed to radically change the music style between games and still have it work pretty well.

Some more fun comparisons in how different they are:

Forest Labyrinths:
EO4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KsUqgU9BC4
EO3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVMNBnJ-eYQ

Minor spoiler for last boss themes:
EO4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSCSf3RFVdw
EO3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPvBxglPNRI

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
Finished the Witcher a few days ago. It was a little flawed but it was a good game.

I appreciated the greys that the story had. Throughout the game I was siding with the Order and it was disheartening to get to the final chapters of the game where I was fighting with the Order against the Squirrels and effectively committing genocide against non-humans. I felt I had chosen the 'wrong answer' but maybe that's beside the point? Witcher seems like a very 'there are no right answers' kind of game. The game is about moral greys and the feeling of not being a perfect hero reflects that.

I'll wait a bit before starting Witcher 2. Maybe I'll play Planescape: Torment or Shadowrun Returns in the meantime.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

The Gentlemieu posted:

Concerning Growlanser IV, I would recommend following a guide, because there are some insanely obtuse sidequests in that game. The beginning of most fights has you waiting for a certain period of time until getting your characters finally get in range to attack physically. Ranged fighters are incredibly useful and borderline broken. When not using ranged users, speed is and incredibly important stat so you can get to the frontlines earlier. Also, don't worry about the bonus system on your first run through, it's more geared towards new game plus.

Additionally, on new game plus you can optionally join the evil empire half-way through the game for an entirely new story line. The carry-overs from each new game suck though so expect to grind abilities for some characters to stay relevant. Also, most people with portraits are secretly recruitable. It's one of those games where your actions in battle affect who lives in the storyline and such. Failing a sidequest could result in a major character dying or being injured, etc.

Also, be prepared for some minor fanservice; it is an anime game after all. You do have relationship meters with all the women. Blinking portraits with sexually suggestive visages are a given.

Honestly, I hacked the game with CWcheats to take out the ability grinding, so you might want to do that. There are actually some really cool abilities you might not see otherwise.

Generally, it's a RTS game where you give commands and wait for the character to carry them out. Combat happens on the overworld. Magic has cast times that can be cancelled when casters are attacked. Some environmental effects take place. I'd say its largest issue is that it plays a little slow. Combined with being a large game with a interesting storyline with many twists to keep you guessing, that might be too much of a time investment.

Anyway, that's my two cents.
I've started playing and this now and despite the beginning feeling a bit hokey I'm now really into it and have played about 7 hours. Will I really miss that much without using a guide? I'd prefer not to unless it means missing out on recruiting characters or getting a good ending or whatever. Also related to that, any tips for how I should build my characters if not using a guide? There's a lot of scope for customisation and I'm not sure what abilities I should have my characters learning. So far the critical hit rate up skill seems really useful, magic seems a bit crap and takes ages

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
What's the current state of playing Baldur's gate? After 10+ years I finally have time to actually finish it - my last attempt stalled after the maze dungeon in BG II. Is it worth getting the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition I and II now? I can't find the gently caress, Baldur's Gate thread, so I guess it's in the archives now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I thought BGHD was a fine way to play it. YMMV but I don't think there's a lot of options for it.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Is that Recettear game any good? I've heard folks mention it before, but the talk was more about the translation than the gameplay.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GloomMouse posted:

Is that Recettear game any good? I've heard folks mention it before, but the talk was more about the translation than the gameplay.
The game is pretty fun in a laidback way. There's nothing like, mindblowing about it, but being an adventurer that sells poo poo and jacks up the prices is a neat concept that works well enough. It's like ten buck on Steam at this point and I'd say it's worth that.

EDIT: Oh, actually it's $20. It goes on sale so much that I forgot. Still worth that much, but buy it instantly if it goes on sale.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GloomMouse posted:

It's a fun but lighthearted game. It's mostly a simple shop simulator mixed with a fairly low-impact dungeon crawler. It is completely worth the money.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

GloomMouse posted:

You should ask Spacedrake. :iamafag:

I personally like it a lot. It's a shopkeeping simulation mixed with an RPG. The game will give you objectives with deadlines, with a lot of freeform open-endedness to how you can accomplish them. When you finish the main storyline, an endless no-deadlines mode opens up.

It's cute, and it's fun, and you can play the game any way you like from easy to super difficult. There's a demo of the game up to the deadline of the first objective, which I highly recommend trying!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The shopkeeping is fun until until late/post-game, when you break it wide open and it becomes tedious. The dungeoncrawling is boring but necessary. Worth $5-$10, imo.