Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Nice shots, that lens has a lot of character, I really like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Miike posted:

I have an Olympus Pen EE3. I like the half frame because you can use to compose an image across different frames.

Well, I'm convinced. Just bought an EES-2 on eBay! I guess it's not strictly a P&S because it has zone focus and manual frame advance but I think it's close enough for me.

Miike
Nov 7, 2003
Free Mandela

big scary monsters posted:

Well, I'm convinced. Just bought an EES-2 on eBay! I guess it's not strictly a P&S because it has zone focus and manual frame advance but I think it's close enough for me.

Interesting, my EE3 doesn't have zone focus, it really is a point and shoot. I also have its bigger brother the trip which has zone focus and I am not a big fan of that. I don't really get many missed shots because the aperture is pretty tight. It's really cool how long a roll of film lasts with 72 frames and the framing is portrait which also is different. But yeah the half frame really lets you compose over multiple frames.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Yeah, those are really cool. I looked at the EE2/EE3 but the EES has a slightly faster lens and I reckon there'll be times when I want that extra half stop.

I also found a Pen Wide on Gumtree, which looks nice but the guy selling will only do cash on collection and London is a bit far for me to go. :unsmigghh:

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I get so jealous of you guys PEN-EES.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I got my EES-2 today but it had a bunch of problems. The flag for over/under exposure didn't come up, the film rewind release button didn't seem to do anything and the aperture blades were sticky. I opened the thing up and found two loose screws in the chamber where the meter needle lives, which I removed. I also fixed the exposure flag but don't have the right size screwdriver to remove the front lens element to sort out the aperture blades.

Now I have two screws that I don't know where they came from, it seems like the metering needle is still riding too high and getting caught on the plate above it, and I can't find a repair manual online. Also I guess I probably can't return the camera now having hosed about with it. :(

e: Looks like the screws should have been holding the shutter plate to the lens assembly, one mystery solved at least.

ee: Ooh, another unexplained screw and also a spring!

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 22, 2014

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

This may be better in general questions, but recently I ordered a Konica C35 and I was wondering if anyone here has experience with this camera and modern batteries. The batteries it uses are no longer being made (mercury 1.35v PX675 I think) so I was going to try a 1.4v 675 hearing aid battery. I've read that I may have to push/pull the asa to compensate for the difference in battery but can't find concrete numbers. Has anyone here done any real world tests with the 1.4v batteries and Fuji Superia 400 film? Would it be logical to meter the shot with my digital camera to see if the numbers match?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I don't think a difference of 0.05 V would be enough to affect metering in any significant way.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

BANME.sh posted:

I don't think a difference of 0.05 V would be enough to affect metering in any significant way.

The voltage won't be consistent and will likely get further and further off as the age of the battery increases. Get a WeinCell, they're a legitimate replacement but they do only last 6 months when exposed to air.

http://www.amazon.com/Wein-PX675-Button-Battery-Zinc-Air/dp/B0002GVSWQ

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

ansel autisms posted:

The voltage won't be consistent and will likely get further and further off as the age of the battery increases. Get a WeinCell, they're a legitimate replacement but they do only last 6 months when exposed to air.

http://www.amazon.com/Wein-PX675-Button-Battery-Zinc-Air/dp/B0002GVSWQ

Even better, you can use one of these: http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_mr44_adapter.htm and use modern batteries with no drawbacks (other than being expensive).

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

That seems pricey. I found a guide to limit the voltage output with a diode.

http://wemakethings.net/2014/02/04/konica-c35-modern-batteries/

I might try this if I'm feeling DIY because I don't really feel like spending twice as much as I spent on the camera for a battery adapter.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

CRAYON posted:

I don't really feel like spending twice as much as I spent on the camera for a battery adapter.
This is the fundamental challenge of a thrift-store or garage-sale 35mm P&S: that feeling of "what the hell am I doing?" when you put out ten times as much money on batteries, film, accessories, and repairs as you spent on the initial purchase of the camera.

Mine was $4. The battery, the cheapest I could find on eBay, was $6; local prices on that battery were close to $20. And I almost never find film for less than $5/roll (my long-term average cost is probably around $7/roll), never mind developing or printing.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

CRAYON posted:

I might try this if I'm feeling DIY because I don't really feel like spending twice as much as I spent on the camera for a battery adapter.

The ghetto solution to this is to go buy a pack of 675-type hearing aid batteries and wad tinfoil in there until everything fits right. Or buy a Wein cell, use it till it's dead, and then take a screwdriver and pry off the adapter, which just fits a standard 675 cell.

Adapters are a long-term purchase. If you do a lot of thrift-store hunting you will eventually run into more cameras that use mercury-cell batteries and need the adapter. I understand the feeling of not wanting to spend 10x the money on the parts as you spent on the camera itself, but sooner or later you'll run into something cool that uses it. My Rollei 35S uses Wein cells, I think my Spotmatics use Wein cells, mercury cells were really common in cameras of a certain age. Buy a cheap one off eBay or something and just shuffle it between cameras.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 3, 2014

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

The ghetto solution to this is to go buy a pack of 675-type hearing aid batteries and wad tinfoil in there until everything fits right. Or buy a Wein cell, use it till it's dead, and then take a screwdriver and pry off the adapter, which just fits a standard 675 cell.

Adapters are a long-term purchase. If you do a lot of thrift-store hunting you will eventually run into more cameras that use mercury-cell batteries and need the adapter. I understand the feeling of not wanting to spend 10x the money on the parts as you spent on the camera itself, but sooner or later you'll run into something cool that uses it. My Rollei 35S uses Wein cells, I think my Spotmatics use Wein cells, mercury cells were really common in cameras of a certain age. Buy a cheap one off eBay or something and just shuffle it between cameras.

If you have access to a 3D printer or a laser cutter you can also create the battery adapters yourself fairly easily.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I just found an olympus stylus epic for $7 at a thrift store tonight. Has a working battery in it still, too :getin:

Alligator
Jun 10, 2009

LOCK AND LOAF
Got my first roll from this fantastic plastic beast:

I guess it's not technically a point and shoot since it's manual focus and 'manual' exposure (picture of a cloud, picture of a cloud obscuring the sun, picture of the sun) but it's close enough right.

Turns out zone focusing is hard, oh well at least some shots were good. Terrible pharmacy scans though.

Fun little camera, but not I've got my hands on an mju-1 so I don't know if I'll use it again.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I bought a bunch of compact 35mm cameras recently. I got an Olympus Pen EE had super bad light leaks, but some photos still turned out okay if you like that effect:

I got a Konica C35 which was in mint condition, and thankfully no light leaks. Nice and sharp, too:

I also got an Olympus Trip 35 that I still gotta put a test roll through.

I've been using a Canadian store brand film, Easypix, and the colors are pretty dull but otherwise pretty decent. It does better outdoors.

Excuse the family photos :)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BANME.sh posted:

I got a Konica C35 which was in mint condition, and thankfully no light leaks. Nice and sharp, too:

Ahhhh that's gorgeous.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

BANME.sh posted:

[..]

[..]

I've been using a Canadian store brand film, Easypix, and the colors are pretty dull but otherwise pretty decent. It does better outdoors.

Excuse the family photos :)

I do think it's a great color pic. Colors are just beautiful, almost pastel like. Perfectly supporting the subject.

Adding this one I took with the Minox w/ Superia 200:

Modena Est di maxmars70, su Flickr

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

maxmars posted:

I do think it's a great color pic. Colors are just beautiful, almost pastel like. Perfectly supporting the subject.

I guess I've just fallen in love with other varieties of film that I see posted around here. Admittedly, I did increase the saturation a smidge in that photo, though.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
VHS by mr_student, on Flickr

Flat by mr_student, on Flickr

Shed by mr_student, on Flickr

Backdoor by mr_student, on Flickr

Sheds by mr_student, on Flickr

Seat by mr_student, on Flickr

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I'm the world's slowest scanner. This was the first roll I put through my Mju, a few months ago. I'm still totally poo poo with scanning and curves and whatnot, and I could totally use some tips.

Scan-140622-0001.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

My friend here has the palest skin and the flash went off, so I'm not even sure if anything could be done here beyond just making her skin flat white.

Scan-140622-0002.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

This was shot handheld without flash in a dark room. I'm pretty dang impressed with this camera. I'm using the same brand of film as banme.sh, which appears to just be rebranded film from Fuji.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

Geektox posted:

I'm using the same brand of film as banme.sh, which appears to just be rebranded film from Fuji.

I just found a Shoppers Drug Mart selling this stuff on clearance, expires in 2015, for $5.25/3-pack. I cleared them out. Ended up with 21 rolls at $1.75/roll :clint:

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

I got an Olympus XA with the A11 Flash for about $50 on Yahoo Auctions earlier this year and finally managed to put some rolls of Neopan 400 Presto and Portra 400 through.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I have a series of questions for the dude in the hitler shirt but i'm not sure where exactly to start

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

TIGHT AS gently caress

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Breadnought posted:

I got an Olympus XA with the A11 Flash for about $50 on Yahoo Auctions earlier this year and finally managed to put some rolls of Neopan 400 Presto and Portra 400 through.

What country were these taken in? That Hitler shirt is pretty, ahem, bold.

The Contaxt T3's flash: It Is Good:

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

What country were these taken in? That Hitler shirt is pretty, ahem, bold.

Didn't know you had a tumblr, consider yourself followed.

And that's Japan. The use of Katakana (Says: Pachinko) is a dead giveaway.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Yeah it's also a "thing" for cool kids in Indonesia to wear hitler shirts as well, pretty WTF.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Yeah, I'm in rural Japan, and while this might be the "watch my friends drink" thread, hitler shirt guy is definitely not my friend. I asked him about the shirt and he was definitely aware that it was Hitler, and also that Hitler was bad, but was being kind of a smug gently caress about it.

More from the XA, this time in Tokyo.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Breadnought posted:

Yeah, I'm in rural Japan, and while this might be the "watch my friends drink" thread, hitler shirt guy is definitely not my friend. I asked him about the shirt and he was definitely aware that it was Hitler, and also that Hitler was bad, but was being kind of a smug gently caress about it.

Oh so insufferable hipsters exist everywhere!

So good. Is this also Portra?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Breadnought posted:

Holy poo poo
:love:

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

VomitOnLino posted:

What's your tumblr dorkasaurus?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Awkward Davies posted:

What's your tumblr dorkasaurus?

http://yoorop.tumblr.com/

We should probably have a thread for this kind of thing.

VomitOnLino posted:

Glad to know Japan is exactly as cool as I imagined.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

drat

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Massive love to all of these. Camera/film?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks
I took those with my XA and some fake Portra I bought online. There's some quick heavy-handed color edits to reduce the original heinous blue cast.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

unpacked robinhood posted:

Thanks
I took those with my XA and some fake Portra I bought online. There's some quick heavy-handed color edits to reduce the original heinous blue cast.

..."fake Portra"? Please explain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MrBlandAverage posted:

..."fake Portra"? Please explain.

It was a Portra 400 roll I got from HolgaDirect.
I haven't looked much into it but when I brought the roll to the shop for processing the guy warned me that "it's chinese stuff with different chemicals, it's going to be blue" and implied that there were rolls of different quality around because :words: I don't think he gave me a precise explanation.

The prints are really really blue :smith:. I've had him develop lovely expired rolls before with excellent results so I'm inclined to believe that he's not completely bullshitting me.

My main problem with the XA at the moment is to get the focusing working correctly though, any picture where the subject is less than 2m away is woefully out of focus. I'm pretty sure I paid attention each time so I'm thinking I'll have to open this thing again and try to recalibrate the whatitscalled.

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 21, 2014

• Locked thread