Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Give me Liminals. Sucks to your Neverborn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Ferrinus posted:

Things need to be justified when they're actually contradictory or harmful to the project as a whole, not when they're some combination of underused and poorly implemented as the neverborn were.
I think things also need to be justified when they actively stake out a design space where something better could go. Even if they're completely passive, there's an opportunity cost to the existence of the Neverborn.

Abyssals are hard-coded to have authority figures in their lives. Having made that design choice, the decision to have those ultimate authority figures be personality-less non-entities is a decision that needs to be justified and, frankly, revisited.

Like, I'm not super-happy that "You're kind of evil and have a Titanic rear end in a top hat for a boss" is a defining feature of two separate Exalted splats, but if that choice gets made for us, the writers owe it to us to at least make it interesting.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 16, 2014

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

What I learned from exalted is that if you have a boss of any kind and are naturally part of a larger organization you are either a communist or evil. The Realm? Evil. Sidereals/Heaven evil. Infernals? Evil. Abyssal? Evil.

The only exceptiojln to the evil of organization is glorious autochton, where you listen to what the people and the state need, and become Heroes of the common folk.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Punting posted:

On the subject of Abyssals, perhaps they would be better served by swapping out the hard control of Resonance with something a little softer and slower-paced, like the Disquiet/Torment systems from Promethean?

Ya know, have their presence corrupt Creation when they linger too long in one area, necessitating that they constantly move and can only maintain a few fragile relationships at a time, lest they endanger something they care about. Make it so that it takes a while to really get disastrous, and give them ways to mitigate the damage (if they so choose), so that the choice to either "toe the party line and blow up Creation" or decide that "no, actually this is a terrible idea I'd rather be a hero, thanks" is actually a choice requiring some tricky decision-making and active effort, rather than just "LOL no, 10 points of Resonance for you."

Basically, make it so that being a heroic Abyssal is harder than going along with the Neverborn's master plan, but not outright impossible or mechanically suboptimal.

I really like this idea. It achieves the thematic goals while being far more interesting in play. It also helps reinforce the notion that the Neverborn are really not all that coherent. The best they can muster is trying to make everything else as miserable as they are through the few outlets they have.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

KittyEmpress posted:

What I learned from exalted is that if you have a boss of any kind and are naturally part of a larger organization you are either a communist or evil. The Realm? Evil. Sidereals/Heaven evil. Infernals? Evil. Abyssal? Evil.

The only exceptiojln to the evil of organization is glorious autochton, where you listen to what the people and the state need, and become Heroes of the common folk.
Or perhaps it says that Autocthohn has better marketing.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Autochthon and Gaia are much alike in that their inhabitants need all that they provide, but they still have myriad thoughtless ways to kill you, from lightning to boiling to drowning. Not that they'd even notice that they did.

A Spirit or a Yozi can at least remember your name. :ssh:

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Another Draculas Double Feature player here to cast their vote in the 'playing an Abyssal is rad' camp. Just from my experience with the game, Mistaya's earlier comment about infrastructure is spot-on, since it lets us make up stupid poo poo like the Underworld Police Service (UnterPol!), because, y'know, why wouldn't Stygia have one of those, and why wouldn't the Deathlords name it like it had jurisdiction over all the dead? (UnterPol, in turn, lets me play Dracu-cop, which is all kinds of fun.) Plus, with a known organization behind the deathknights, it means we can feasibly retcon reasons PCs might have met in the past, and so forth.

I also kind of twitched a little when I read this...

KittyEmpress posted:

The one big useful thing abyssals did was do something with their lunar bond that wasn't boring straight dice adding. I liked the fluff of their lunar mates actively letting them oppose the masters. Too bad that would involve running the two worst splats!!!

...because I seem to be in the minority in looking at the Lunars 2e core charmlist and being charmed (haha) by a lot of what I see!

There is a Charm, at the base of the concealment tree, that lets you conceal absolutely anything with five minutes and a Wits + (appropriate skill) roll. My Lunar is currently wearing an armed bear trap around his neck as a pendant, Flavor Flav style. The first person who punches him in the torso is taking a bear trap to the arm. There's a Charm in the same tree that lets you stuff objects into hammerspace, and if you release the mote commitment, they just fall on the ground at your side. This, I realized, lets me speed-deploy armed bear traps. (I may have a problem regarding bear traps.) When confronted with a horrible doom-squid, my character activated Twin-Faced Hero and Hybrid Body Mutation to turn into a squid woman and bat her eyelashes (pheromones) at it, Tex Avery style.

The point I guess I'm groping at, rather poorly, is that a lot of Lunar stuff intended to emulate Loki, Anansi, etc. works quite well - it hardly seems like a splat not worth playing, as your post might imply.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

vdate posted:

...because I seem to be in the minority in looking at the Lunars 2e core charmlist and being charmed (haha) by a lot of what I see!

There is a Charm, at the base of the concealment tree, that lets you conceal absolutely anything with five minutes and a Wits + (appropriate skill) roll. My Lunar is currently wearing an armed bear trap around his neck as a pendant, Flavor Flav style. The first person who punches him in the torso is taking a bear trap to the arm. There's a Charm in the same tree that lets you stuff objects into hammerspace, and if you release the mote commitment, they just fall on the ground at your side. This, I realized, lets me speed-deploy armed bear traps. (I may have a problem regarding bear traps.) When confronted with a horrible doom-squid, my character activated Twin-Faced Hero and Hybrid Body Mutation to turn into a squid woman and bat her eyelashes (pheromones) at it, Tex Avery style.

The point I guess I'm groping at, rather poorly, is that a lot of Lunar stuff intended to emulate Loki, Anansi, etc. works quite well - it hardly seems like a splat not worth playing, as your post might imply.
I think the critique is mostly that like everything's a giant nest of interlocking snakes in terms of Charm pre-requisites and poo poo, so in order to get Jessica Rabbit Prana, it isn't just a matter of getting Hide Things Technique or some other simple and semi-sensible pre-requisite (or any at all!), it's like you'd have to get Flavor Flav Style, Rabbit Sings Shave And A Haircut, Monkey Grasps Peach, and some kind of sawed-off version of a Solar Charm, to get to the cool thing you'd actually want to have and use.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Punting posted:

On the subject of Abyssals, perhaps they would be better served by swapping out the hard control of Resonance with something a little softer and slower-paced, like the Disquiet/Torment systems from Promethean?

Ya know, have their presence corrupt Creation when they linger too long in one area, necessitating that they constantly move and can only maintain a few fragile relationships at a time, lest they endanger something they care about. Make it so that it takes a while to really get disastrous, and give them ways to mitigate the damage (if they so choose), so that the choice to either "toe the party line and blow up Creation" or decide that "no, actually this is a terrible idea I'd rather be a hero, thanks" is actually a choice requiring some tricky decision-making and active effort, rather than just "LOL no, 10 points of Resonance for you."

So you basically want Doom of the Black Exaltation but updated.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nessus posted:

I don't know.

Cars here seems like a solid elder-level Lunar concept to me.

An Elder Lunar who eats Abyssals would be such a loving good NPC boss.

Also 3E should let Abyssals be more Dio-like. Seriously I made a build to be as Part 1 Dio as possible but while I got the eyebeams and the freezing thing (somewhat), I want some charms that let me summon THE WORLD.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

ErichZahn posted:

So you basically want Doom of the Black Exaltation but updated.

I had to go look what that was, but yeah, basically.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

KittyEmpress posted:

That's on purpose, Geoff Grabowski used to call himself an "alternative conservative" but basically is just a libertarian.

I think that poo poo is real boring politically, but I don't get the big bucks to write Exalted setting.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Mexcillent posted:

That's on purpose, Geoff Grabowski used to call himself an "alternative conservative" but basically is just a libertarian.

I think that poo poo is real boring politically, but I don't get the big bucks to write Exalted setting.

Haha wait really? That is amazing. I just said it as a joke because someone brought up that Infernals and abyssal share 'you are evil and have jerks for bosses' as a theme.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

the Guild is capitalistic as hell but they are an evil organization too because they are literal opium dealers

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

the Guild is capitalistic as hell but they are an evil organization too because they are literal opium dealers

And the Congo Free State in the East, and the East India Company in the West, and Southern US/Caribbean slave-traders worldwide, and a Renaissance Italy usurer's collective in the Scavenger Lands, and Enron and AIG and Goldman-Sachs and agribusiness-tyrants and robber-barons and pretty much every single person on Matt Taibbi's shitlist...

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

So basically they are the kind of corporation that would really work well on a Libertarian world.

Calde
Jun 20, 2009

Mexcillent posted:

Huh, I always viewed Exalted as being anti-libertarian. The Great Prophecy lays out how Galt's Gulch taking charge of the world set everything on a course to hell and how trying to address their failings had a high chance of triggering an even worse Armageddon.

Also aren't Autochthon's city-states more like nationalist and fascist regimes with power residing in the elite ruling classes of the Tripartite and the various craftsmen guilds while all the workers basically have no say in how things are run? I didn't pay as close attention as I should have when a friend was statting out Jade Caste Karl Marx beside me while I tinkered with my Soulsteel Noir Detective, but I got the impression Autochthon has social class disparity, rich oligarchies and so on straight out of the USSR.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I don't care if it's ethical; I want a Mammoth Steak.

Calde posted:

Huh, I always viewed Exalted as being anti-libertarian. The Great Prophecy lays out how Galt's Gulch taking charge of the world set everything on a course to hell and how trying to address their failings had a high chance of triggering an even worse Armageddon.

Think more Fountainhead. The Solars were rulers due to personal success and excellence. The masses - the Dragon-blooded and their Sidereal puppetmasters - feared and were jealous of them, and couldn't abide them for that reason.

It's a story of the successful and hard-working, time and time again, being cast down by the jealous masses.

At least, if I were going to call Exalted libertarian, that's the explanation I would use. That and how exceptional people consistently end up with power and success - always rightful, never merely lucky, except in the cases of nepotism - and lead people as their betters.

Personally, I don't agree with that sentiment about the game line. There are plenty of counter-examples, of power corrupting, of teamwork being good and rewarded, and so forth. But that's the example I would use for how the setting could reflect Ayn Rand-style libertarianism.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sometimes a game where you play as a sun god and friends is a game where you play as a sun god and friends. Maybe don't try to go all SuperMechaGodzilla on it, for christ's sake.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It's true: you're either communist, or evil. Choose wisely.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Sometimes a game where you play as a sun god and friends is a game where you play as a sun god and friends. Maybe don't try to go all SuperMechaGodzilla on it, for christ's sake.

Yeah, but there's reading weird political subtext into a work and displacing the fun by overanalyzing everything, and there's having to read weird political subtext out of a work so you can put the fun back, and if what Mexcillent says is true then I'm pretty sure this is more the latter than the former.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

No you're right, there's no place for analysis. Let's go back to speculating about charmsets or rehashing which Infernals chapters you should probably skip v. which ones you should definitely skip.

I mean, any story of exceptional heroes striking out on their own because they have the might to back up the possibility that they're right can be pretty quickly repurposed into a libertarian success story. Which is probably why there are relatively high-profile examples of comic book writers tending towards that ideology (hi Steve Ditko), and why superheroes are typically a celebration of libertarianism, fascism, or somehow-both. And Exalted's not any different.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

No you're right, there's no place for analysis. Let's go back to speculating about charmsets or rehashing which Infernals chapters you should probably skip v. which ones you should definitely skip.

I'd rather have that than read paragraphs or what party would Ma-Ha-Suchi would vote for or who in creation is the closest to Hitler.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
That's an easy one: you are.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Chejop Kejak did nothing wrong. Solar's fear the Dragon Blooded, ect, ect.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I'm actually not sure what Geoff's politics are, but he's not a libertarian. He seems to distrust power in everyone equally, including both lone Great Man-types and individuality-stifling large organizations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Calde posted:

Also aren't Autochthon's city-states more like nationalist and fascist regimes with power residing in the elite ruling classes of the Tripartite and the various craftsmen guilds while all the workers basically have no say in how things are run? I didn't pay as close attention as I should have when a friend was statting out Jade Caste Karl Marx beside me while I tinkered with my Soulsteel Noir Detective, but I got the impression Autochthon has social class disparity, rich oligarchies and so on straight out of the USSR.
The only real major line I've seen running through Exalted is questioning the perfectibility of any large-scale system, which doesn't seem to be a specific political ideal, because it can apply to any sort of ideal. Every splat's "winning condition," what Creation would like like if they "won," has horrible downsides. The Solars' are probably the least glaringly obvious, but I think one thing Dreams of the First Age did pull off was make it clear that there was a downside to Solarocracy other than "blah blah the human adventure is suppressed." Even the Autocthonians are living in a work-crazed frenzied society and ought to take it easy if they could, but much like American settlers, would probably gently caress Creation up before learning they can in fact take it easy.

Exalted does have the sort of disquieting premise that there are superhuman individuals in the setting, and that it isn't like they are mysteriously held in check, except by some elements of the logistics of Exaltation. An Exalt is more capable than a human in dozens of ways, and even ("even") a Dragon-blooded administrator is hugely more able than a mortal. However, this in no way guarantees they would be more moral, just, or far-sighted - they might very efficiently mobilize your fleabag kingdom for total war and get all of them killed, rather than collecting a couple dozen levies off the rye field and marching off to war. So I think that balances out the authoritarian implications of having "better at doing things" people, while also making it so it is possible to play a returning Solar king or aspiring DB emperor without it being required that you are a total bag of dicks.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Either way, discussions of Exalted's themes and politics are cool. Unfortunately, people often mistakenly believe themselves to be discussing Exalted's themes and politics when they are in fact just telling you which in-game faction's aesthetics they most prefer.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Calde posted:

Autochthonia is a late capitalist society examined through a Marxist lens. You're right in noticing that the workers do not own the means of production, production is not done for human need, and their society certainly isn't classless - but you'll note that while the Tripartite are comparatively well-off they do not, themselves, own capital. In a setting like this there's a danger in having an overt capitalist class that one can just point adventuring parties at and say "kill these guys and let the rest sort itself out". Alchemicals has done something rather clever by abstracting the capitalist class almost entirely. While they may be worked by humans, the means of production are owned by Autochthon, the globalized and impersonal economic system that defines the lives of late capitalist workers.

(You get a hint to this with the Alchemicals themselves, since Exalted tend to become more like their patrons as they increase in Essence; Solars become god-kings, Infernals become Primordials, etc. Alchemicals begin as men, become materiel, and end up as economic systems!)

The Autochthonians are trapped, as Marx predicted, by the tendency of the rate of profit to fall. The great engine of Capital they labor in runs on profit (allegorized as Essence and the Five Magical Materials), cannot survive without it, and is increasingly incapable of finding new sources of it. Worse, with the emptying of the Ewer of Souls, they've run into the contradiction of population growth where capitalism demands new workers but industrialized societies see their population rate drop to equilibrium or lower (as seen currently in Japan).

The tragedy of Autochthon is that, hardy prole that He is, He is an excellent inventor and producer but a bit naive. He went to sleep, turning his carefully planned economic system-self into a laissez-faire machine, because He believed that if each individual part was well-designed (and they were) and was dedicated to their own continued functioning (and they are), then the emergent whole would also be well-designed and continue functioning. This, alas, is the fallacy of the free marketeer. As the rate of profit drops, individual parts begin looking for other stores of value to survive on and gremlinize; they cannibalize pension funds and vital infrastructure with little regard for the long-term health of the society. Eventually the rate of profit drops to nothing, the veins of vital Essence run dry, and there are no more functioning repair systems. Autochthon dies, along with all within him.

Fortunately, the workers of Autochthonia have the Alchemicals, heroes of the vanguard! They can if they're brave enough forge their way through the Reaches, overcoming gremlins, class traitors, and the dangers of the environment as an allegory for political revolution until they reach the Elemental Pole of Crystal. To claim the Core is to quite literally "seize control of the means of production", and to waken Autochthon and begin setting things right is to create a planned economy dedicated to human flourishing. Alternatively, they can follow the bourgeois Tripartite and begin the Locust Crusade: a grim vision where Capital sustains itself through imperialism and a constantly expanding resource sphere, that can only end with Autochthon swallowing the Wyld and condemning all that was or ever will be to Oblivion.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

In general, a continuing theme in Exalted is that political will is of greater importance than personal or technological power, and also of greater importance than, like, bureaucratic and logistical efficiency. An unjust, exploitative, and destructive system will just be more powerfully and efficiently exploitative if you level up its leaders and infrastructure without changing its actual goals.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Dammit Who? posted:

Autochthonia is a late capitalist society examined through a Marxist lens.

This may be the best forum post ever made about Alchemicals. I endorse this message.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Close the thread there's nothing left worth saying after that.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
There is a class with spiders for bones actually, plenty of discussion left.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
So who in Exalted is closest to a fedora libertarian?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
You mean a spoiled brat with massive privilege who thinks he's owed stuff and has creepy views on how to treat others?

To one extent or another, everyone, sadly.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ettin posted:

So who in Exalted is closest to a fedora libertarian?
Gonna go with

Calde
Jun 20, 2009
That is an amazing post, thanks Damnit Who. Autochthonia being described as communist is a pet-peeve for a friend of mine, so I had heard similar arguments, but I'm in no way well-versed enough in the subject matter to break it down like that.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Dammit Who? posted:

Autochthonia is a late capitalist society examined through a Marxist lens. You're right in noticing that the workers do not own the means of production, production is not done for human need, and their society certainly isn't classless - but you'll note that while the Tripartite are comparatively well-off they do not, themselves, own capital. In a setting like this there's a danger in having an overt capitalist class that one can just point adventuring parties at and say "kill these guys and let the rest sort itself out". Alchemicals has done something rather clever by abstracting the capitalist class almost entirely. While they may be worked by humans, the means of production are owned by Autochthon, the globalized and impersonal economic system that defines the lives of late capitalist workers.

(You get a hint to this with the Alchemicals themselves, since Exalted tend to become more like their patrons as they increase in Essence; Solars become god-kings, Infernals become Primordials, etc. Alchemicals begin as men, become materiel, and end up as economic systems!)

The Autochthonians are trapped, as Marx predicted, by the tendency of the rate of profit to fall. The great engine of Capital they labor in runs on profit (allegorized as Essence and the Five Magical Materials), cannot survive without it, and is increasingly incapable of finding new sources of it. Worse, with the emptying of the Ewer of Souls, they've run into the contradiction of population growth where capitalism demands new workers but industrialized societies see their population rate drop to equilibrium or lower (as seen currently in Japan).

The tragedy of Autochthon is that, hardy prole that He is, He is an excellent inventor and producer but a bit naive. He went to sleep, turning his carefully planned economic system-self into a laissez-faire machine, because He believed that if each individual part was well-designed (and they were) and was dedicated to their own continued functioning (and they are), then the emergent whole would also be well-designed and continue functioning. This, alas, is the fallacy of the free marketeer. As the rate of profit drops, individual parts begin looking for other stores of value to survive on and gremlinize; they cannibalize pension funds and vital infrastructure with little regard for the long-term health of the society. Eventually the rate of profit drops to nothing, the veins of vital Essence run dry, and there are no more functioning repair systems. Autochthon dies, along with all within him.

Fortunately, the workers of Autochthonia have the Alchemicals, heroes of the vanguard! They can if they're brave enough forge their way through the Reaches, overcoming gremlins, class traitors, and the dangers of the environment as an allegory for political revolution until they reach the Elemental Pole of Crystal. To claim the Core is to quite literally "seize control of the means of production", and to waken Autochthon and begin setting things right is to create a planned economy dedicated to human flourishing. Alternatively, they can follow the bourgeois Tripartite and begin the Locust Crusade: a grim vision where Capital sustains itself through imperialism and a constantly expanding resource sphere, that can only end with Autochthon swallowing the Wyld and condemning all that was or ever will be to Oblivion.

This reading makes the mistake of assuming that woken Autocthon's (The State's) judgement and foresight are perfect. It ignores the fact that the implementation of any plan of that scale necessitates the violent suppression of dissent. All power, state or corporate, should be met with suspicion - don't forget the Chapter 5 comic, featuring your hero of the vanguard gassing protestors! The fact that this movement of the workers (the speaker bears a flaming wrench) and the common man (all genders) is violently suppressed gives lie to the fact that the state is not our friend. As with all structures of power, the state's number one priority is its own survival - when push comes to shove, the state's agents are the enemy of the common man.

It's very revealing that the "vanguard" - and I'm assuming anyone who performs this reading would consider themselves a part of the vanguard - identifies itself as literally superhuman. Underlying that identification is a serious contempt for the common man. When we continue with the reading of Autocthon-as-State, we find that Autocthonia (The Nation-State) is founded on violence perpetrated by a self-declared elite - the "vanguard" of Autocthon's heroes:

"Autochthon summoned eight of his greatest mortal adherents — Claslat, Estasia, Gulak, Jarish, Kamak, Nurad, Sova and Yugash. The Great Maker’s Divine Ministers and their holy subroutines presented the mortal heroes with potent blessings and powerful weapons and tools, and gave them a mission. They were to spread out to the edges of Creation and beyond in utmost secrecy, gathering the components to craft a mighty artifact, and thence to carry it to the Well of Souls to fill it with 100 million human souls drawn directly from that font of limitless power. This they did, avoiding the notice of the Celestial Exalted and their loyal Dragon-Blooded, though it took 10 years. At last, the Great Maker was ready to take himself off into exile. Some few thousand of his most devoted worshippers gathered to follow their beloved Autochthon, and these he took solemnly into his body. Then, moving with terrifying speed, he snatched tens of thousands of additional mortals from the surrounding countryside as well."

The urge to constitute a state summons the vanguard, who equip themselves with weapons and carry out a secret plan - that is, a plan lacking the informed consent of the people - to create a "mighty artifact": The Nation-State. They avoid the notice of the Celestial Exalted and their loyal Dragon-Blooded - you don't even need to render this as an allegory because it's literally just feudalism - but, as usual, the wishes of the common man are ignored and they're swept into Autocthonia on a wave of state violence. It's no mistake that Alchemicals become military equipment before they form small nation-states - they're absolutely their patron in miniature.

All the points you made about gremlinisation and capitalism sound pretty right, but I don't agree that the solution is to wake Autocthon and cede absolute power to the state. Autocthon's sickness is an intrinsic part of his being - it's an allegory for capitalism's dependence on the state (See here - 24:18 to 26:00 and 28:06 to 28:24, but the whole thing's worth watching). His illness can never be cured - only held at bay with the promise of limitless growth (Exposure to the Wyld). Project Razor is an escape from the State-Capitalism complex. Don't try and fix Autocthon, because you can't - just get out of there.

Edit: When we continue with the reading of the Ewer of Souls as the heart of the nation-state, we can take its steady decline as an argument that all states will inevitably collapse. It's also interesting that the eight members of the Autocthonian vanguard pretty much immediately split into tribes named after themselves - Gulak, Sova, Nurad, Trotsky, Lenin.

Bigup DJ fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 18, 2014

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Here is a place where you can pay lots of money to make me tell Rich Thomas to put the name "Poopsucker" in the EX3 core, and also I guess you would get a fancy leatherette-bound version of said book (plus some extra stuff).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kinda curious on why you waited until today to do so, Plague. Also why you pledged that much?

• Locked thread