Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Trampus posted:

I did the best buy method 2 weeks ago and still have unlimited. In keeping my fingers crossed.

What is the best buy method?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I have had a horrible time with Verizon lately. I called and upgraded two dumb phones to iPhone 5c, and was given a certain shipping date, and was told there was no charge. The phones slipped almost two weeks, and each phone was billed a $30 upgrade fee. I escalated and was informed I did not hear the shipping date correctly and was therefore my fault for an unrealistic expectation, and the $30 fees would be credited on my next bill. My new bill came today, no credit.

What's the magic word I need to use to get this resolved?

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

kensei posted:

I have had a horrible time with Verizon lately. I called and upgraded two dumb phones to iPhone 5c, and was given a certain shipping date, and was told there was no charge. The phones slipped almost two weeks, and each phone was billed a $30 upgrade fee. I escalated and was informed I did not hear the shipping date correctly and was therefore my fault for an unrealistic expectation, and the $30 fees would be credited on my next bill. My new bill came today, no credit.

What's the magic word I need to use to get this resolved?

Call customer sevice, hit 4 when it gives you options, say "cancel service", which should send you high up. Be all, "lot of bull crap been happening, thinking about canceling" and you'll get what you want.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Deep Winter posted:

Call customer sevice, hit 4 when it gives you options, say "cancel service", which should send you high up. Be all, "lot of bull crap been happening, thinking about canceling" and you'll get what you want.

Will try that tonight, thanks!

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
Anyone in here take advantage of the recent ellipsis tablet deal? If not, my local store just told me they're extending it for 4 days. Thing only cost me activation plus tax, so like 40$ (after mail in rebate etc).

Editing to add - I just got myself a new samsung s5 as well, are there any advantages (or disadvantages) to running verizons messaging+ app vs the stock android one?

pass the butter fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 15, 2014

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

pass the butter posted:

Anyone in here take advantage of the recent ellipsis tablet deal? If not, my local store just told me they're extending it for 4 days. Thing only cost me activation plus tax, so like 40$ (after mail in rebate etc).
So you locked in to a contract and paid $40 for a tablet with specs equivalent to the 2012 Nexus 7 and an out-of-date OS?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

pass the butter posted:

Editing to add - I just got myself a new samsung s5 as well, are there any advantages (or disadvantages) to running verizons messaging+ app vs the stock android one?

The Ellipsis is really poor, even processing power aside, it only has 1GB of space for apps. That's tiny and artificially limited by a partition. I guess it's fine if you plan on rooting it, but signing a 2 year contract for a device you have to monkey with to be functional is a bit much.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
Well I'm still in review with it, I could take it back. But it seems fine, has a cardslot on it which is already superior to ye olde nexus. My plan was to use it as a jukebox in my car, I'm sure it has enough cpu to play tunes! And the free data it comes with offsets the cost. Not sure I see the downside.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

pass the butter posted:

Well I'm still in review with it, I could take it back. But it seems fine, has a cardslot on it which is already superior to ye olde nexus. My plan was to use it as a jukebox in my car, I'm sure it has enough cpu to play tunes! And the free data it comes with offsets the cost. Not sure I see the downside.

You can't install or move apps to the SD card and you only get an already mostly full 1GB totally artificial partition for apps. Again, I have one and I think it's fine if you repartition it, but for all the headache I should have spent money on the Nexus 7.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.

Beefstorm posted:

What is the best buy method?

You order your phone online from Best Buy and tell it to keep your existing data plan. Have the phone shipped to your house. It will come with a SIM card already in it so you need to remove that before you turn the phone on and insert your existing SIM. Turn the phone on and you're good to go. There are other complications if you're switching from a 3G to 4G phone and if the new phone has a different sized SIM. I went from a 4G LTE Galaxy Nexus to an HTC OneM8 so I already had a 4G LTE SIM but it was too big so I had to cut it down to Nano size.

There's a thread about it at android central, here.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Trampus posted:

I did the best buy method 2 weeks ago and still have unlimited. In keeping my fingers crossed.

Let us know. Because is sounds like something they could easily switch on you. :(

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
Just got Kit Kat 4.4.2 for my Razr Maxx HD.

Its like, new underwear.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
:siren: Holy poo poo. If the phone has ever been contracted it will remove unlimited regardless of what account it is on :siren:

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

FordPRefectLL posted:

:siren: Holy poo poo. If the phone has ever been contracted it will remove unlimited regardless of what account it is on :siren:

Can you elaborate on this? If I buy a phone from SA-Mart that was purchased under contract (but sold to me halfway through the contract), I would lose unlimited?

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

FordPRefectLL posted:

So even if a used phone is no longer under contract (but once was), I'd lose unlimited if I put it on my unlimited line?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

FordPRefectLL posted:

What the gently caress?! Might be time to start looking for an unlimited plan on AT&T to buy off someone.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

FordPRefectLL posted:

Ok so full price devices are still fine?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FordPRefectLL posted:

Whelp, I'm done with Verizon as soon as my contract is up.

That basically means I can't switch between my old phone and new phone whenever I want. Yeah, I'm done with this poo poo. I'm pretty drat tempted to pay my ETF and just leave right now.

Hell, if that's what they are auditing on, that means if my SIM card ever dies and I have to re-activate my current phone it will probably punt unlimited. Also, what about warranty replacement refurbs? Presumably those were on contract at some point before they were refurbished.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 17, 2014

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Is this just triggered on phone swaps going forward or are they auditing retroactively too?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Can you elaborate on this? If I buy a phone from SA-Mart that was purchased under contract (but sold to me halfway through the contract), I would lose unlimited?

Yes.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

Is this just triggered on phone swaps going forward or are they auditing retroactively too?

Looks like going forward as of two weeks ago.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

How is this not causing a poo poo storm on the Android blogs? I'm not saying I don't believe you, I just don't WANT to believe you.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I was on my phone posting about this, now I'm on a PC so I can explain a little better. Our account manager found a little more information for us.

Basically, if the phone itself is still under contract, its placement on an unlimited line will remove that unlimited.

So if I buy a Galaxy S5 on 5/16/14 it will remove unlimited from any line it is placed on until 5/16/16. If I buy it on my mom's separate account and put it on my account, it will remove my unlimited. If I give it to a friend, it will remove their unlimited. You can still buy phones full retail and keep it but a currently under contract phone will cut a swath through any unlimited accounts it touches.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FordPRefectLL posted:

I was on my phone posting about this, now I'm on a PC so I can explain a little better. Our account manager found a little more information for us.

Basically, if the phone itself is still under contract, its placement on an unlimited line will remove that unlimited.

So if I buy a Galaxy S5 on 5/16/14 it will remove unlimited from any line it is placed on until 5/16/16. If I buy it on my mom's separate account and put it on my account, it will remove my unlimited. If I give it to a friend, it will remove their unlimited. You can still buy phones full retail and keep it but a currently under contract phone will cut a swath through any unlimited accounts it touches.

Ok, that's a bit better. Your initial post said if it was EVER contracted.

It's still thorny for used phones though. Time to start advertising "Full retail purchased" phones when selling used or including it's "off contract date."

I still wonder though, if I switch to my Razr HD MAXX for a day (which was full retail) and then switch back to my Droid MAXX (which is on contact right now) if it will take off unlimited.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I am fairly certain it is anything going forth from 5/1 but I'll get more confirmation on that.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

Whelp, I'm done with Verizon as soon as my contract is up.

We have a comfortable seat for you at the AT&T megathread. :)

But in all seriousness, I feel like verizon has always had this attitude of trying to dick over the customer and forcing them into their beliefs. My god these are people who have been loyal customers and you are just forcing them into hating you.

Not to say AT&T is much better. Mobile Share Value has only created angry customers because no one has explained it.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Stuff like this is why I follow this thread; gotta know how small the hoops are getting so I can keep jumping through them to keep my unlimited. I'd already given up on upgrade shuffle shenanigans and bought my current phone at full price but have purchased used phones in the past so it's good to know the extra wrinkle of them needing to be off-contract.

I'd love to bail on Verizon but I'm outside the service area for all other networks, and every prepaid option I've seen throttles your data or doesn't offer 4G data at all so I'm clinging to what I've got as hard as I can. :sigh:

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Is there a way to check and see if a phone is off-contract? I'm considering grabbing a RAZR Maxx used to replace my Gnex, but I don't want to lose unlimited with the new account audits.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Just ETF'd out my mother in law's dumbphone, whose upgrade I used to buy a 5s last October.

Hopefully that will keep my wife's unlimited safe since she's using that phone now; I assume going forward that 5s will show as being tied to a fulfilled contract.

I guess I'm not really any worse off than having paid full price in the first place, and having moved the mother in law to prepaid it's cheaper anyway since uses the phone for like 19 minutes a month.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
So what's the plan now? Use an upgrade for an iPhone, sell it for cash and buy a phone outright?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
If this bears out, that strategy will be even less useful since that phone would be labeled as "contracted". At least as far as killing the used market goes.

I think this needs to find its way to the blogs so we can get some semblance of official confirmation.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cozmosis posted:

If this bears out, that strategy will be even less useful since that phone would be labeled as "contracted". At least as far as killing the used market goes.

I think this needs to find its way to the blogs so we can get some semblance of official confirmation.

Nah. Plenty of soccer moms and kids to young to have unlimited would jump on it. It won't effect resell much if at all.

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001

PitViper posted:

Is there a way to check and see if a phone is off-contract? I'm considering grabbing a RAZR Maxx used to replace my Gnex, but I don't want to lose unlimited with the new account audits.

I'd like to know this as well, as I'm currently in the same boat. I just bought a used Droid Maxx to replace my Galaxy Nexus but haven't added it to my account yet...

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

FordPRefectLL posted:

I am fairly certain it is anything going forth from 5/1 but I'll get more confirmation on that.

Haven't heard any updates since this weekend, but in this scenario what would happen to my unlimited plan if I changed from my (under contract) iPhone to my Bionic and back again? Wifi tethering is a royal pain on the iPhone and BT isn't always an option.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

You'll be fine. Any contracted phone prior to 5/1/14 is most likely okay to switch around.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Oh, so the unlimited-obliterating phone swap is only if the contract began 5/1 or later, not any phone switch taking place 5/1 or later? That seems a little bit less scary.

Also voice over LTE doesn't sound as cool as it originally did.

I wonder how long it will be a limitation that you can only use VoLTE to call another device that supports VoLTE. I guess it would require some transcoding process at the switch if a VoLTE customer were to call a landline, for example.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So you could just replace all the instances of "VoLTE" in that article with "Skype" and it would mean the same thing.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Also you'd hope they'd send VoLTE data through a different APN such that it doesn't count against your data bucket but does count against your minute bucket, but knowing Verizon they'll probably make it count against both.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

My MAXX prompted me for an update this morning, not sure what all is in it but installing now :)

e: 19.6.3.en.US is the version, and now I have cool white icons...

kensei fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

kensei posted:

My MAXX prompted me for an update this morning, not sure what all is in it but installing now :)

e: 19.6.3.en.US is the version, and now I have cool white icons...

I miss the blue icons.

• Locked thread