Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FrozenVent posted:

Oh boy. I wish that actually got made, the trolling would be something to remember... Has it fizzled out yet?

Apparently you can log onto the game and go into a house and change the wallpaper! I think you can talk to other players via the chat function as well. I have no idea whether there are any other in-game functions other than walking, wallpapering and chatting.

Their forum has an ongoing stories section which apparently documents the various adventures that have happened in the game so far but it looks more like fanfic than gameplay logs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

MMO Kickstarters are all basically a person who is really, really upset that the wallpaper in the house he currently lives in is the wrong color, and thinks that his ability to notice this mistake means he can build a house.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Apparently you can log onto the game and go into a house and change the wallpaper! I think you can talk to other players via the chat function as well. I have no idea whether there are any other in-game functions other than walking, wallpapering and chatting.

Perfect.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

FrozenVent posted:

Oh boy. I wish that actually got made, the trolling would be something to remember... Has it fizzled out yet?

www.everjane.com posted:

Ever, Jane is an on-line role-playing game set in the virtual world of Regency England and the works of Jane Austen. Unlike many multi-player games, it's not about kill or be killed but invite or be invited. Gossip is our weapon of choice. Instead of raids, we will have grand balls. Instead of dungeons, we will have dinner parties.

At the moment, we don't have any of these. What we do have, is a village centred round a tree-lined village green, with houses where you may "squat"

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Ah yes, squatting, that favorite past time of the regency bourgeoisie.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I would 110% play a game that centered around Anarchists infiltrating and disrupting bourgeois dinner parties. Hide dynamite in the duck confit, maliciously seat Lord Higglesby next to the fashionably mad poet, Jon "Fallen Arches" Scrivener, watch the entire party collapse into an argument about adjectives.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Slowbeef and Diabeetus recently brought me to this masterpiece of future RPG gaming seeking 12,000 CAD. This was the best part:

quote:

Origin
Over ten years ago I was going though a bit of a depression, and fell into an addiction, an addiction of online gaming. The game wasn't very powerful, or fast paced, and really kind of boring, but it allowed me to escape the world for a while... just a while...
One day while playing, I was about ready to exit the game, so as usual I walked down to the newbie area so my character could go sleep. I had no intention of returning to the game... but then, a character in a hula skirt, killing goats walked up to me, smiled her emotocon, and asked "Are you OK?"
I insulted her rudely and left the game. Her words stuck with me though, "Are you Ok?" She asked... and I wasn't. I logged in the next day, and sure enough the girl character was back there killing goats in her hula skirt. She walked up to me again, and asked, "Are you OK?"
As the months and years passed we became friends online, and that friendship passed into the real world. This character was named Erynn, and my character was named Fighter, and it would become a love story of sorts that would extend across platforms, realities, times and dimensions.
One day however, near the end of the online games lifespan... Erynn wasn't feeling well, so we decided to just sit around an online camp fire and talk for a few hours. Her words stick with me to this day. "Fighter, " she said in her loving voice, "tell me a story."
Her one request was to have me tell her a story. And that was the birth of Endless Fantasy. Off the seat of my pants I told her a story of the origin of Fighter and Erynn, the fall of Aeon, the evil wizard Vorch who would come to destroy the world... and she loved it.

quote:

The only real risk with this project is not being completed. And by that, I mean to say, working a full time job leaves you tired, unmotivated, and over all any effort to be put into a project comes out bland, flat, and over all useless. If I can raise the money to be able to concentrate full time on building this dream of mine... the risk is minimal.
We have a graphics designer already, we have our game software building tools, we have a website for promoting and contact. We have everything we need to make it work :)

On his facebook, there's a fat who promises to pledge an exorbitant amount of money, but it's easy to see why because he appears to have the cognitive ability of a brain-damaged squirrel:

Noyemi K has a new favorite as of 01:32 on May 16, 2014

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Noyemi K posted:

Slowbeef and Diabeetus recently brought me to this masterpiece of future RPG gaming seeking 12,000 CAD. This was the best part:

It should be noted that those who didn't see the Retsupurae video won't be able to find it anymore since its been made private because people harassed the dude afterwards.

I mean, the kickstarter is rediculous and terrible. But that's no reason to go mock the guy personally.

Posting braindead comments on facebook about giving him money though, that's alright.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
If it makes you feel any better, he also has a patreon page. Shame about the harassment though, I guess a lot of retsupurae fans don't abide by the rules of not touching the poop.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Does Patreon actually provide any figures or stats on contributions?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Noyemi K posted:

Shame about the harassment though, I guess a lot of retsupurae fans don't abide by the rules of not touching the poop.
A large number of large Retsupurae fans are basically the worst of Let's Play, just not the curiously moe type. The "you're playing it wrong" types combined with the "doesn't understand you can make fun of something without having a burning hatred for it" types.

Assholes, basically. That's what I'm saying.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alan Smithee posted:

Does Patreon actually provide any figures or stats on contributions?

Not as far as I can tell. The functionality of the site is really terrible overall - the project listing page can only be sorted by 'Latest' or 'Active' and you can't even sort the projects alphabetically or by category or anything. I don't even know why they have an 'Active' sorting option since the entire idea of the site is that the listings are always active unless the creator cancels them for some reason.

The search function on Patreon is amazingly bad. If you type in a word you'll get a drop down box with 8 responses and you can't scroll down or open the box in another window or anything so those 8 responses are all you get. I genuinely can't figure out the criteria they have for ordering their searches since they appear to be a random selection of 8 projects that contain your search word (it's not listed alphabetically, or by how much money they've received, or by location, or by project name, or by creator name) but they must be using some sorting criteria because you always get the same 8 responses for a specific search. If the project you were looking for isn't in those 8 projects then you'll have to think of some other search term (which probably won't bring up the project anyway) or you only other option is to scroll through the 1000s of active projects. Your search term also needs to be longer than 3 letters so if you want to find an MMO you're poo poo out of luck there.

Currently the only effective way to search for a Patreon project is via Google.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Someone brought up the Tim Buckley example but that's not to say people are taking the bait. I mean he might have good months and slow months but average out it's probably not gonna be $2000 a month. Then again I underestimate webcomic fans

Hell someone brought up PA and they were getting by on KS alone. Then again Patreon could probably provide less transparency

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alan Smithee posted:

Someone brought up the Tim Buckley example but that's not to say people are taking the bait. I mean he might have good months and slow months but average out it's probably not gonna be $2000 a month. Then again I underestimate webcomic fans

Yeah, the current project totals are only ever an indication of how well they're doing right this second. They're probably a good indicator of how much the artist will get this month (minus fees) but there's no way of knowing how much they've previously received and no way of predicting whether they'll do better or worse next month. I've got a feeling that the pledge levels for most of the active Patreon projects will either remain the same or increase a little and projects that don't do too well will become less active and the few patrons they have will slowly disappear but that's just a guess. When I said that SMBC's Patreon project will return about $100,000 annually I should have added the caveat "if it remains as successful as it is right now."

I'd be interested to see some graphs that chart pledge progress for the projects to see how things are panning out but the site has only been running for 12 months now so I guess it's still early days and they're still finding their feet and getting their name out there and the current data might reflect that.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 13:30 on May 16, 2014

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FrozenVent posted:

It has a playable beta / alpha / whatever. The problem is that it's a game developed in Unity using extremely unrefined methods, so it's basically unplayable (I've tried). I love the concept, but the people responsible for making it are way out of their depth.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
£18,000 for a Vampire: The Masquerade clone horror tabletop roleplaying game with demon-possessed vampires. Why yes, it does have a thousand pounds pledged already on its first day. :drac:

Kickstarter video quotes posted:

"What if H.P. Lovecraft wrote about vampires in the Victorian era?"

"What I always felt was missing from my favorite games was depth and realism in the way that portrayed characters and their personalities."

"Reign of the Accursed uses an original d10 system that was designed to complement the mythos and mood of the setting. In this system, there is a heavy emphasis on character-driven drama as well as borrowing different types of horror elements, and the mechanics were created to promote these two aspects."

This game sports different Clans Orders with specific play styles and powers, "bloodlines" which descend from different demi-gods.

It didn't hit me until I went through tabletop kickstarters specifically that tabletop games are easy money on Kickstarter; it's hard to find stuff that doesn't at least get its initial funding goal. Stuff like dice, miniatures, and tokens are way more popular than I thought they'd be, but I guess that's how tabletop stuff is. :v:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

tlarn posted:

"What if H.P. Lovecraft wrote about vampires in the Victorian era?"

Then it probably wouldn't be anything at all like HP Lovecraft?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

DStecks posted:

What would uncreative nerds do on the internet if all his stuff wasn't public domain? They'd have to come up with original ideas and stuff!

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

DStecks posted:

I dunno, it would still probably be racist.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DStecks posted:

Only in that HP Lovecraft stuck to having his vampire stories set in late colonial times and ~1905-1930, which therefore excluded Victorian times.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I feel like "H.P. Lovecraft" has come to mean "I didn't really read any books, but the Wikipedia plot descriptions sure were cool."

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Lovecraft = scary monsters.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

AlmightyBob posted:

Lovecraft = scary monsters.

"Lovecraft" I think is nerd shorthand for "not slasher horror," with the occasional bulbous mass of flesh and maybe some sort of sanity system. Any themes present in his work are not at all important.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The negro is fundamentally the biological inferior of all White and even Mongolian races, and the Northern people must occasionally be reminded of the danger which they incur in admitting him too freely to the privileges of society and government. …The Birth of a Nation, … is said to furnish a remarkable insight into the methods of the Ku-Klux-Klan, that noble but much maligned band of Southerners who saved half of our country from destruction at the close of the Civil War. 

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

DStecks posted:

He probably wouldn't be calling them vampires and they'd be some crypto-racist analogy like the Tcho-Tcho being the stereotypical inscrutable Chinese hatchet-wielder or the Deep Ones being mulattoes turned up to 11.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

tlarn posted:

It didn't hit me until I went through tabletop kickstarters specifically that tabletop games are easy money on Kickstarter; it's hard to find stuff that doesn't at least get its initial funding goal.

From what I've learned reading about RPG Kickstarters on another forum, you not only have a built-in audience of saps who will individually donate to dozens upon dozens of tabletop gaming Kickstarters no matter how suspiciously fly-by-night and/or incompetent the creator sounds, but they've been burned by lovely projects so often that they don't even expect to ever see any results for their cash anymore.

A tabletop gaming Kickstarter that delivers any small part of the product a year after the original promised delivery date is a great success to them, but if you want even easier money, don't feel compelled to ever make any efforts toward making anything. It certainly won't stop people from donating to your next project.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

"Lovecraft" I think is nerd shorthand for "not slasher horror," with the occasional bulbous mass of flesh and maybe some sort of sanity system. Any themes present in his work are not at all important.

If anyone did Lovecraft true to the source it would be racist as gently caress.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

I would back a true-to-source Lovecraft movie, mostly to see how bad it could get.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Elissia posted:

I would back a true-to-source Lovecraft movie, mostly to see how bad it could get.

There's no typical Lovecraft story, so there can hardly be a typical Lovecraft film. I mean people always talk about the Cthulhu poo poo when his best stories were completely divorced from that mythos. It's like people praising Poe for th handful of his best known horror stories while ignoring his best works which were often humorous.

If you want a film that follows the "Lovecraftian" concept of cosmic horror, there's no shortage of those, and lots of them (most of them, really) are superior to Lovecraft's contributions to the genre.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

There's no typical Lovecraft story, so there can hardly be a typical Lovecraft film. I mean people always talk about the Cthulhu poo poo when his best stories were completely divorced from that mythos. It's like people praising Poe for th handful of his best known horror stories while ignoring his best works which were often humorous.

If you want a film that follows the "Lovecraftian" concept of cosmic horror, there's no shortage of those, and lots of them (most of them, really) are superior to Lovecraft's contributions to the genre.

I mean specifically over the top racist as gently caress. Like a Tarantino movie but done by someone who sincerely believes non-white people are horrors from beyond the veil sent to destroy all that is good. (and white)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's always been a pipe dream of mine to write a stage musical comedy parodying the mythos of Lovecraft's work. What I'm gathering from the conversation is that I should be heading to Kickstarter right away.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

It's always been a pipe dream of mine to write a stage musical comedy parodying the mythos of Lovecraft's work. What I'm gathering from the conversation is that I should be heading to Kickstarter right away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0URLGsf1e0

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

gently caress. There goes that dream.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Lovecraft indeed lends himself to deep human stories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHnt8kWLwxU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Elissia posted:

I mean specifically over the top racist as gently caress.

Sorry, but this is essentially Troper-level understanding of Lovecraft. Most of his stories don't even mention any sort of other race of humans.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Install Windows posted:

Sorry, but this is essentially Troper-level understanding of Lovecraft. Most of his stories don't even mention any sort of other race of humans.

Can't tell if this is satire, but...

""H.P. Lovecraft" posted:

Then came days of evil, when many who had known The Street of old knew it no more; and many knew it, who had not known it before. And those who came were never as those who went away; for their accents were coarse and strident, and their mien and faces unpleasing. Their thoughts, too, fought with the wise, just spirit of The Street, so that The street pined silently as its houses fell into decay, and its trees died one by one, and its rose-gardens grew rank with weeds and waste. But it felt a stir of pride one day when again marched forth young men, some of whom never came back. These young men were clad in blue.

With the years worse fortune came to The Street. Its trees were all gone now, and its rose-gardens were displaced by the backs of cheap, ugly new buildings on parallel streets. Yet the houses remained, despite the ravages of the years and the storms and worms, for they had been made to serve many a generation. New kinds of faces appeared in The Street; swarthy, sinister faces with furtive eyes and odd features, whose owners spoke unfamiliar words and placed signs in known and unknown characters upon most of the musty houses. Push-carts crowded the gutters. A sordid, undefinable stench settled over the place, and the ancient spirit slept.

Great excitement once came to The Street. War and revolution were raging across the seas; a dynasty had collapsed, and its degenerate subjects were flocking with dubious intent to the Western Land. Many of these took lodgings in the battered houses that had once known the songs of birds and the scent of roses. Then the Western Land itself awoke, and joined the Mother Land in her titanic struggle for civilisation. Over the cities once more floated the Old Flag, companioned by the New Flag and by a plainer yet glorious Tri-colour. But not many flags floated over The Street, for therein brooded only fear and hatred and ignorance. Again young men went forth, but not quite as did the young men of those other days. Something was lacking. And the sons of those young men of other days, who did indeed go forth in olive-drab with the true spirit of their ancestors, went from distant places and knew not The Street and its ancient spirit.

So The Street slept uneasily on, till one night there gathered in Petrovitch’s Bakery and the Rifkin School of Modern Economics, and the Circle Social Club, and Liberty Café, and in other places as well, vast hordes of men whose eyes were big with horrible triumph and expectation. Over hidden wires strange messages travelled, and much was said of still stranger messages yet to travel; but most of this was not guessed till afterward,when the Western Land was safe from the peril. The men in olive-drab could not tell what was happening, or what they ought to do; for the swart, sinister men were skilled in subtlety and concealment.

tl;dr: Non-Anglo-Saxon "swart, sinister" foreign immigrant terrorists are looking to overthrow all that we hold true in the Western Land.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Lovecraft or Hitler?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Lovecraft did nothing wrong.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Young Freud posted:

Can't tell if this is satire, but...

tl;dr: Non-Anglo-Saxon "swart, sinister" foreign immigrant terrorists are looking to overthrow all that we hold true in the Western Land.

Lovecraft really had a change of heart later in life, I mean if you read his stuff it clearly comes from a position of ignorance rather than actual hatred. Big surprise that someone born in Providence to sheltered affluence would grow up racist, but he really did get better after he started traveling out of New England. That's probably a discussion for a thread not in the Games forum though.

I mean even today give a dude in western Massachusetts a pen and pencil and ask him to write about otherworldly creatures undermining our society and see what you get. I'd even kickstart it!

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Speaking of Lovecraft, how about $4,000 AUD for a horror webseries based on Lovecraft's The Shadow over Innsmouth? :cthulhu:

Strange Aeons posted:

STRANGE AEONS is a three-episode web series that will be publicly released on YouTube in December 2015. If you can't wait until December 2015, contribute over $50 to download a digital copy in December 2014.

GOALS
  • At $500, you can unlock our concept art for costume designs.
  • At $1250, you can unlock our official shooting script of Episode 1.
  • At $2500, you can reveal secrets about our shooting locations.
  • At $4,000, you can unlock our official YouTube channel where you'll be able to watch teasers, get to know us via live streaming Q&A session, on-set tours, behind-the-scenes footage and much more.

You only get to see stuff that might potentially get you to pledge if more people pledge, because we want to make this harder on ourselves.

In playing cards territory, here's a guy asking $30,000 for a spinnable token that tracks power and toughness on Magic: The Gathering cards.

All it is is a thing with dials that have numbers on them. I showed a buddy who plays Magic this.

:geno: "I have one of those, in fact would you like to see it"
:v: "Is it as chunky as that?"
:geno: "no it is very easy to use and it just sits on top of the card and shows how many counters it has"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaunO
Jan 29, 2006

Oh god that magic counter :stare:
Even when you run out of dice for whatever reason, you can use literally anything around you to act as a counter, without costing 10 bucks a pop
For such a niche product why would he need moldings, just give up and do something else 3d print the drat thing

ShaunO has a new favorite as of 03:45 on May 18, 2014