Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

the spyder posted:

I've found myself looking at 07-10 Toyota Camry Hybrids. :ohdear: I feel like I'm going to have to turn in my AI membership card. drat this 40 mile commute and $4/gal gas.

34mpg is not worth it for a hybrid. A 2010 Honda Fit gets 33 and can be had for an average of $5k cheaper. A 2007 Accord gets 31 and is half the price of the Camry. A 2010 Yaris is less even than the Accord and gets drat near 40 highway (though, cargo space and all that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

34mpg is not worth it for a hybrid. A 2010 Honda Fit gets 33 and can be had for an average of $5k cheaper. A 2007 Accord gets 31 and is half the price of the Camry. A 2010 Yaris is less even than the Accord and gets drat near 40 highway (though, cargo space and all that).

Not to mention the completely disconnected feel of absolutely every driver control in a Prius. Especially the brakes.

And they're uncomfortable.

And you'll die in a fiery crash because you fell asleep while driving due to sheer boredom.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The point is, if you're going to buy an appliance car, at least shop by numbers.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

CountOfNowhere posted:

Seats made for fat Americans...

That and every Toyota seat after about '05 is so hard you might as well be on a wooden park bench. My father had a late-model RAV4 for a bit (same seats I think?) and I found it almost undrivable for the seats alone. Well, that and the steering felt so unnatural it made me want to puke.

I'm looking at making some simple bumpers for the Sportage out of rectangular tube, the frame is 3/16" wall and the truck weighs roughly 3000 pounds. What sort of wall thickness/dimensions should I be looking at? These will be my primary jacking points until I get around to reinforcing the rockers and I'm getting an old Ramsey 9000lb winch for cheap/free so I have to think about provisions for that as well.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 17, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

the spyder posted:

I've found myself looking at 07-10 Toyota Camry Hybrids. :ohdear: I feel like I'm going to have to turn in my AI membership card. drat this 40 mile commute and $4/gal gas.

Just get a Mazda 3 with the Skyactiv motor and a 5 speed.

Wait a minute, weren't you looking at CX5's earlier or was that someone else?

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Reserved a "Yaris or similar" car rental and got a turbo volvo s60. Drives very nicely but the interior design is something else these days. Bright white backlight for main instrument panel? And let's make the misc controls a bunch of buttons and call it a day:

They put a numpad on the dash.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!

the spyder posted:

I used to do a 55 mile commute with a MR2 Spyder, I got almost 40mpg and didn't have to sell my soul to the Prius gods. Find a post 01 and make sure it has cruise control and it's a great commuter car if you don't need a lot of room.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

I'm doing exactly this, looking at a 2010 Honda Fit. There are a few issues, it's been sitting for a month and hasn't been driven much in the last few months. Tires need to be replaced, alternator's grumbling a bit, few scratches and dings on the body cladding, the little switch choosing left or right for the power mirrors is broken, needs inspection, trans fluid change and yeah I can't do a decent test drive since it has no plates. Probably about $1500 in work all told, I'm offered $9500 and he declined but I've got the money ready to go so I'll re-offer after tabulating the repair costs.

I figure this is as good a place as any to ask, am I being an idiot buying this thing? Couldn't detect any major mechanical issues and there's zero rust so once I get the work done it should be fine.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

leica posted:

Just get a Mazda 3 with the Skyactiv motor and a 5 speed.

Wait a minute, weren't you looking at CX5's earlier or was that someone else?

The one complaint I have about my 3 is it is a loud car. I think the newer ones still suffer from that problem.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
We don't seem to have a camper megathread... Is there interest in campers? Pretty AI imho.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I drive a 07 Nissan Altima and I almost drive 50 miles a day to and from work. When it's not winter, I can get anywhere from 27 - 30 mpg, depending on how much highway driving I do and how much traffic that I get stuck in . In long trips, I've gotten 31+ mpg. My car may be boring but it's probably not nearly as expensive as a hybrid and is easy on the gas.

Don't the batteries on hybrids start going bad after 7 years? Or am I misremembering this?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I've had the displeasure of riding in 2 students' late model Camrys. What a loving awful car.

Buy a Mazda2: 35mpg and turns in like a champ. :getin:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

thegasman2000 posted:

We don't seem to have a camper megathread... Is there interest in campers? Pretty AI imho.

That's a good point. And yes, I'm interested and I have one.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I've done a complete Sketchup of a teardrop, which I want to build terribly some time in the next couple years. I'm in love with those little things. The lady is way into the short standups, she wants a little 13 foot canned ham or something, which I'd be down with too. All about a camper/RV thread.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I know I mention this any time MPG and commuting come up but buy a MK4 VW Golf/Passat TDI. For commuting I see 48+, usually 50-51. Road trips cruising at 75-80 and it manages 52-53. poo poo even pulling a trailer the lowest I've seen in 43. It's boring sure but you can find them for ~5k pretty easy and the drat things will run forever if you maintain them once and a while. Mine is nearing 250k and I need to replace the worn out suspension but otherwise it's a great for my 22 mile (1 way) commute.

Rhyno keep that little Civic for a while unless you can turn it around now for $1500+. A running, reliable car that gets good MPG is worth way more than $500 pretty much anywhere. That stupid thing would be a 2k car here if you cleaned it up a bit.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 17, 2014

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

thegasman2000 posted:

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Phone posted:

I've had the displeasure of riding in 2 students' late model Camrys. What a loving awful car.

Buy a Mazda2: 35mpg and turns in like a champ. :getin:

Seconding this on the 2. I'm getting 37-38 imperial mpg in the city and its not even broken in.

The 3 with the Skyactiv should have a 6 speed manual which would be nice if you have lots of highway driving. You can get $4k off 2013s if you can find them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A grown man, possibly retarded, just poo poo his shorts and after it ran down his legs he tracked it around my store.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Rhyno posted:

A grown man, possibly retarded, just poo poo his shorts and after it ran down his legs he tracked it around my store.

Was he wearing a firesuit?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I found a new road near my house that I somehow had missed...I got air at 50mph in the 928. I can't wait to take the motard on that road.

Oh and the 928 is stupid and I shouldn't be allowed to drive anything with old tires, no LSD and that much torque.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CharlesM posted:

The one complaint I have about my 3 is it is a loud car. I think the newer ones still suffer from that problem.

How is it loud? Engine noise or exhaust?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

leica posted:

How is it loud? Engine noise or exhaust?

Road noise. There isn't that much sound insulation or something. It's only a problem above 60mph.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Maybe it's the OE tires? Do the skyactiv 3's come with hard tires like hybrids do?

Either way it sounds like a pretty easy fix, some good tires and/or sound deadening would probably do the trick.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Gonna e/n for a sec, thanks for being patient.

So month of May: broke up with my girlfriend of 3+ years (it wasn't going anywhere), signed up for 2 track days next month, bought a Real Camera, and I'm going to be out of town pretty much every weekend for the next 5 to 6 weeks. Oh yeah, I'm also down 20+ lbs for the year and have finally made progress against the weight I've gained since getting a desk job; only 10lbs to go!

I hung out with some friends from work earlier and I'm watching ladies arm wrestle right now. If I told myself 10 years ago this is what my life looked like, I would never believe it.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I'm in west Iowa tonight and there seem to be an unusually high number of people with visible tattoos on their heads

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
You know your in for an interesting day when your engineer introduced himself as swamp donkey.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

leica posted:

Maybe it's the OE tires? Do the skyactiv 3's come with hard tires like hybrids do?

Either way it sounds like a pretty easy fix, some good tires and/or sound deadening would probably do the trick.

I don't remember what tires it came with as I ditched them about 8 years ago. Tire noise can be a part of it but really it just doesn't have that much sound deadening. It might be something that bothers someone who is looking at a Camry Hybrid for a 40 mile commute :P

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm 47 days into turning my fatass around physically. I've lost 19 loving pounds in that time without even going to the gym. No beer in that entire time but JESUS TITTY-loving CHRIST after having to clean up human poo poo from the floor of my store today I just want to drink without limits all night long.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Upgraded the girlfriend's laptop (Lenovo Ideapad) to Windows 8.1 and now it won't connect to our wifi network. It'll connect to the router but it gives a limited connection message.

Downloaded and installed the latest drivers for her wireless adapter (Intel Centrino N2230) with no luck. I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to network settings so I'm stumped.

Apparently this is a common problem but I can't seem to get any of the fixes I'm reading about to work. Anyone have any suggestions?

Edit: Fixed. :downs:

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 18, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Rhyno posted:

I'm 47 days into turning my fatass around physically. I've lost 19 loving pounds in that time without even going to the gym. No beer in that entire time but JESUS TITTY-loving CHRIST after having to clean up human poo poo from the floor of my store today I just want to drink without limits all night long.

I'm down 10 pounds since New Years and I haven't changed my diet at all or set foot inside a gym.

Sucks for you guys with the slow metabolisms I guess

:smug:
:yosbutt:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kastein posted:

I'm down 10 pounds since New Years and I haven't changed my diet at all or set foot inside a gym.

I'M OLD.

When I originally weighed in the scale was off, i was 4 lbs heavier. Actually started at 220 or so. 201 this morning. Still look fat though.

Also poop.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Phone posted:

Gonna e/n for a sec, thanks for being patient.

So month of May: broke up with my girlfriend of 3+ years (it wasn't going anywhere), signed up for 2 track days next month, bought a Real Camera, and I'm going to be out of town pretty much every weekend for the next 5 to 6 weeks. Oh yeah, I'm also down 20+ lbs for the year and have finally made progress against the weight I've gained since getting a desk job; only 10lbs to go!

I hung out with some friends from work earlier and I'm watching ladies arm wrestle right now. If I told myself 10 years ago this is what my life looked like, I would never believe it.

That doesn't sound e/n, that sound pretty alright. Especially the part about hanging out next weekend.

Tonight I discovered that acrylic nails and bonfires don't mix. I tried to start a fire and ended up lighting my nails on fire.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

I'M OLD.

When I originally weighed in the scale was off, i was 4 lbs heavier. Actually started at 220 or so. 201 this morning. Still look fat though.

Also poop.

Just hit the gym, it's a lot better than dieting and you can replace fat with muscle which has a much bigger effect than just losing the fat as far as physical appearance is concerned. Replace 10 lbs of fat with 5 lbs of muscle and it'll look as good on you as if you'd lost 25 lbs of fat without gaining any muscle.

Yes I realize you read comics and that means physical exertion is like comic nerd kryptonite but seriously, just try it for a few months. Bonus side effect is you can go back to having beer again because the extra muscle and increased metabolism will eat up the stray calories as long as you don't overdo the boozin'. Also if you do it long enough you can look like an Alex Ross supes painting.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Weight is all diet, though.

Working out makes all sort of brain chemicals go off. Oh yeah, you also get a sweet beach bod at the end. :v:

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I want to work out, but I don't know what to do. I can't afford a gym membership, and my hosed up feet preclude much running. Just through eating slightly better, even though I still eat like poo poo, I've lost 30 pounds this year.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Get some hand weights and a bench, maybe a pull up bar with some ab straps. That's what I use every day and I don't ever go to a gym.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Previa_fun posted:

Upgraded the girlfriend's laptop (Lenovo Ideapad) to Windows 8.1 and now it won't connect to our wifi network. It'll connect to the router but it gives a limited connection message.

Downloaded and installed the latest drivers for her wireless adapter (Intel Centrino N2230) with no luck. I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to network settings so I'm stumped.

Apparently this is a common problem but I can't seem to get any of the fixes I'm reading about to work. Anyone have any suggestions?

Edit: Fixed. :downs:

Since when is Windows 8 an upgrade? From what, Win ME? Put 7 on that poo poo.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Backov posted:

Since when is Windows 8 an upgrade? From what, Win ME? Put 7 on that poo poo.

What's it like time-traveling a year into the future? Windows 8 is actually pretty acceptable now, and has measurable startup time, resource management, and performance improvements.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

I think lifting thousands of Jeep and M54 parts counts as a gym for all practical purposes. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Geirskogul posted:

What's it like time-traveling a year into the future? Windows 8 is actually pretty acceptable now, and has measurable startup time, resource management, and performance improvements.

Bullshit. I have it on two machines here, one of them (Surface Pro 2) even designed for it. It's poo poo on that. It was even shitter on my development machine, a decent spec i7 laptop. I'm sure it does have measurable improvements. It's also got a lot of broken poo poo.

To be expected of course, 8 couldn't be good when 7 was. 9 will most likely be good again. Microsoft.

Moved back to 7 and couldn't be happier about the decision.

• Locked thread