Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

caberham posted:

Few of my friends in university were mediocre high school students who were abysmal with their hkcee (think middle school to high school entrance exams).

They manage to boot straps themselves and get into the provincial university or do one year of community college and transfer over.

Of course they are considered as miracles but the gao kao or the brute force memorization style of learning just doesn't mesh well.

On the other hand math education in Asia is amazing.

I understand this and agree with it in theory...there are usually a few type of students I've worked with.

1) Work well in Chinese educational system, also work well in Western tests and projects. These are the kids that go to Duke, Cornell, Princeton etc.
2) Work well in Chinese educational system, have difficulty grasping Western tests and projects. These kids end up anywhere in the U-Cal state system, sometimes go to UIC, UW, Purdue...Big10 schools for engineering or sciences.
3) Have trouble in Chinese educational system, but can do some Western tests and projects. UWashington, some Cal schools.
4) Take up space and would be better off if their parents just bought them a small cell phone booth at the mall to work at. These kids end up wherever they can get in. Michigan State, Indiana, Texas - El Paso, Oregon State...WHEREVER.

However, even the space taker uppers can get to the USA because their maths are so much better than average. I mean the potato was able to score like a 32 on the math ACT I think. So that right there will get him in to some school with everyone else in our admissions office fudging his application, and the fact that his parents will gladly pay for a year of University straight up at this very moment.

However, he'll be back next year after failing out and his parents will be here asking us to accept more money so he can have some emergency courses so he can go back to the USA. It seriously happens every year. Hell two years ago we sent a kid to IU (lol) and he came back after eight weeks and I ran into him working as a waiter at a hot pot restaurant and he said "Don't tell anyone I'm back, my parents said no one can know" and they had rented him a private apartment and were literally lying to every single person that he was off in the USA and doing splendidly. He went back the next year and I heard failed out again, I think he's off in Canada now.

I've come to learn that in a lot of places, a lot of people don't know when to stop backing a losing horse. I think there are a lot of dumb people everywhere in the world, but people in the USA that are so dumb don't usually have about 400,000USD laying around to throw at their kid. I think that's how we make so much money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coloncalamity
Sep 12, 2007
hehe it's like diarrhea get it
a fool and his money are soon parted~~

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

MeramJert posted:

He certainly has company. If you're human, there's a 95% chance you're already dead.

I don't think that's accurate at all. Thanks to 20th century population explosions, I think half of all of humanity is alive today. If not, it's still way more than 5%.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The estimate is there have been about a hundred billion people total, I think.

E: Yeah, estimates are 100-110 billion. So 5% is about right.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

loving racists. So Neanderthals aren't people? Is that what you're saying?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Arglebargle III posted:

loving racists. So Neanderthals aren't people? Is that what you're saying?

Actually I dunno, the thing didn't mention what species it was including.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
That's way more than I thought. Apologies to MeramJerk

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
What if we use the 6000 year old earth theory

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Apology accepted.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
what's a meram? do chinese people call you merarm?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

1. I don't know
2. No

Hope this clears some things up.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Meramjert

You Turkish wanker.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

A friend bought me this account and gave it a randomly generated "halfling name" from Neverwinter Nights. It doesn't really have any meaning.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MeramJert posted:

A friend bought me this account and gave it a randomly generated "halfling name" from Neverwinter Nights. It doesn't really have any meaning.

You're hurting the feelings of the halfling people.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You could get with the times and the locals and make an Urban Dictionary definition for meramjert and then freak out and celebrate that you are entering mainstream media

Traveler
Sep 13, 2006

MeramJert posted:

Traveler fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 7, 2020

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

goldboilermark posted:

China said they would fund it if the countries (Canada, USA, Russia) helped with resources.

I think you'd end up in like Chicago, it showed it going through Canada.

Also, they would do a tunnel through the Bering Sea, I'm sure you guys can find an article about it. I'm sure I can too, in fact I already did this morning.

I love the idea of it going through Canada and not actually having any stops.

Definitely doing Chengdu this summer. Any recs on places or neighborhoods to stay at? Going to be almost 3 weeks so definitely not more than 25-30USD a night.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 18, 2014

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Find a 24 hour hot pot place and sleep with a faceful of pepper oil.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Eifert Posting posted:

I love the idea of it going through Canada and not actually having any stops.

Definitely doing Chengdu this summer. Any recs on places or neighborhoods to stay at? Going to be almost 3 weeks so definitely not more than 25-30USD a night.

Chengdu has the benefit of being probably the most recent of China's bigger-ish cities to be developed, so getting around is really easy.

The Mix Hostel, Flip Flop, and Lazybones hostel are all within your price range for a private room. I stayed at the Mix Hostel for about 2 weeks when I first got to Chengdu, and was pretty happy with it. All three are run by the same people who seem to be doing a pretty good job. You can check them our on hostelworld or whatever, but they're especially good since they set up a ton of events like bike rides down to pandaland and Sichuan cooking lessons and all sorts of stuff like that. If you're here for 3 weeks it'll be good to have someplace like that to help you fill your time if you're not gonna leave town for the wildernesses of Sichuan, Qinghai and Yunnan.

Lazybones and Flip Flop have good locations, both pretty central on on the subway/etc.

Other than those, Yulin is probably the neatest area of Chengdu to stay in. It has a ton of cool restaurants and shops and is pretty central.

I don't know too much a about pricing, but I think for 30 a night you could also plop down at a Hanting or some other business hotel here. I would recommend NOT staying at any near the East Railway Station or Airport. North and South railway stations are pretty well connected, and South is actually close to weird poo poo like the Global Center which is cool. Also stay away from anywhere in West Chengdu, it gets boring that direction fast. Chengdu is spreading in a south-easterly direction and the SE is also where stuff like pandas are.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
So the guy wants me to give him how much I want by the hour, by the day, and for overtime.

He says the kids are all different ages, they're coming mainly to learn how to play golf, I need to prepare the 2-3 hour classes and they mainly want the kids to learn "golf English" (people never realize what a stupid idea this kind of thing is). Their parents will be with them and there are people that will go to the parks and anywhere else with us. The kids are probably going to be different ages and 8-16 years old. I don't need to go to golf class with them.

If there are any other important details I left out to help set a price, let me know. They said all my travel expenses will be paid for, including food and hotel.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Golf English? That's a new one. Vocab lessons ahoy!

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
If you are dead, are you still human?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Cuatal posted:

So the guy wants me to give him how much I want by the hour, by the day, and for overtime.

He says the kids are all different ages, they're coming mainly to learn how to play golf, I need to prepare the 2-3 hour classes and they mainly want the kids to learn "golf English" (people never realize what a stupid idea this kind of thing is). Their parents will be with them and there are people that will go to the parks and anywhere else with us. The kids are probably going to be different ages and 8-16 years old. I don't need to go to golf class with them.

If there are any other important details I left out to help set a price, let me know. They said all my travel expenses will be paid for, including food and hotel.

People who can afford America field trips to learn golf should be pretty loaded. Don't undercut yourself here.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

bad day posted:

If you are dead, are you still human?

Yes.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Cuatal posted:

learn "golf English"
I'm picturing a series of educational videos presented by some New England old-money rear end in a top hat in a blazer. Lessons include:

- Golf: Rules and jargon.
- The 19th hole: Wine jargon, dining etiquette.
- Communicating with staff: All the necessary vocabulary to convey contempt and condescension without looking crass.
- Networking: How to curry favor with assholes who are even richer than you are.
- Bonus content: How to smile and laugh like a total prick.

Negative. You are a meat popsicle.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

SB35 posted:

People who can afford America field trips to learn golf should be pretty loaded. Don't undercut yourself here.

Yeah come up with something ridiculous and then double it.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
So like 3000-4000 for 12 days?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If that's RMB that's too low. I wouldn't go under 10,000 RMB. This guy is taking a trip to America to learn to play golf. I'd go for 20,000.

I know it's hard but I mean, imagine how much someone with a real job in the U.S. makes. Then imagine you deserve that kind of money. Then realize that people getting paid real money actually make that much in 12 days.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 18, 2014

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
2500 USD for twelve days of straight work without a weekend is pretty lousy. Go for 5k.

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Just take 1% of all future lifetime earnings. Or buy a share and get rich when he goes public.

Gulluoglu
May 4, 2009
I'm going to be staying in Beijing for about a month for part of my master's research, not far from Beiwai / BFSU on the west 3rd ring road at a Jinjiang Inn. I should be arriving the 26th, but I have a week or so where I'm mostly free to sightsee and meet up with people if anyone would like to get a beer and/or dinner.

I've been to Beijing before in the same area a couple of years ago (and other cities), so I'm not totally new to China or figuring out basics like getting somewhere even though my Mandarin is mostly absent or basically crap. This thread helped a lot the first time, though, so I'm open to giving a bit back if possible. I'm an American currently living in the UK, if that matters to anyone.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
You could base your rates on US governmental rates which are $500/d + expenses. From a business perspective this is seen as meager. That is, shift your model from that of thinking of yourself as a teacher to that of thinking of yourself as engaged in a business endeavor and charge accordingly. Teaching just happens to be one of the services offered.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Bloodnose posted:

2500 USD for twelve days of straight work without a weekend is pretty lousy. Go for 5k.

$5,000 for 3 hours of work a day over 12 days works out to, what, $138 an hour? That's not unreasonable considering you have to prepare all of the material and basically put up with these people for almost two weeks, which I'm sure will be horrible. Golf English lessons? Ughhhhhhhhhhhh.

kenner116 posted:

Just take 1% of all future lifetime earnings. Or buy a share and get rich when he goes public.

I had a professor in college who would write in tiny print at the end of his syllabi that participating in his class enrolled you in his lifetime tithing program, requiring 10% of your income (gross, not net) to be yielded to him every year until he died.

He didn't get tenure and now he's unemployed and no one has paid their tithing dues. :smith:

blinkyzero fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 18, 2014

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cuatal posted:

This sounds like something I would have loved to do in my first year in China and something that you could not convince me to do if you paid me 10k now.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Gulluoglu posted:

I'm going to be staying in Beijing for about a month for part of my master's research, not far from Beiwai / BFSU on the west 3rd ring road at a Jinjiang Inn. I should be arriving the 26th, but I have a week or so where I'm mostly free to sightsee and meet up with people if anyone would like to get a beer and/or dinner.

I've been to Beijing before in the same area a couple of years ago (and other cities), so I'm not totally new to China or figuring out basics like getting somewhere even though my Mandarin is mostly absent or basically crap. This thread helped a lot the first time, though, so I'm open to giving a bit back if possible. I'm an American currently living in the UK, if that matters to anyone.

That's not far from where I stay. Weigongcun is the hangout over there, and PBD Pizza isn't bad.

That area is still a bit of a pain in the rear end to get around as it doesn't have a subway line yet.

Cuatal posted:

I did this once before. Took a guy and his kid to Canada to see some universities and see what life was like in Canada (they got declined for their US visa). I had all expenses paid for, and I got about 2,000RMB a day plus an iPhone but I still felt I got ripped off. Always translating menu's, trying to explain that you can't order this, trying to stop them from throwing their chicken bones on the table/floor, trying to get them to leave a tip, trying to explain how to rent a car, trying to explain not to go take a photo of two contractors sleeping in their big F350 pickup. Never again.

By chance, however, we did go to Vancouver during the gay pride parade. I think they got more than they bargained for.

Aero737 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 19, 2014

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Aero737 posted:

By chance, however, we did go to Vancouver during the gay pride parade. I think they got more than they bargained for.

Did you get what you bargained for? :gay:

In all seriousness though fearcotton and I felt the same after we shepherded that group around last summer. We knew almost all of these kids really well, too -- most were our students. Ultimately it wasn't even them that ended up exhausting us, it was the adult "chaperones." One of them was the headmaster from another high school and he seriously kept trying to eat everything off every plant in Pennsylvania, including crabapples and acorns.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah the group I am bringing to the States this summer is a group of kids I've worked with for at least a year and know quite well. Myself and another American are bringing them, and actually we just got another Letter of Invitation for this adorable Chinese girl that studied at our center in 2009 and 2010 and just graduated from Emory University and is going to come with us as an "educator" as well. I said the only way I would do this would be if I was totally in charge and no one else was allowed to come with...I don't mind picking up a girl that studied in the States for four years and I totally trust the other guy I'm doing it with so I imagine it will be ok. If parents or some Chinese co-workers were coming with, or if I had to be in charge of actual activities, no way I would want to do.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

blinkyzero posted:

Did you get what you bargained for? :gay:

In all seriousness though fearcotton and I felt the same after we shepherded that group around last summer. We knew almost all of these kids really well, too -- most were our students. Ultimately it wasn't even them that ended up exhausting us, it was the adult "chaperones." One of them was the headmaster from another high school and he seriously kept trying to eat everything off every plant in Pennsylvania, including crabapples and acorns.

Both of those are edible though, so he sounds kinda smart.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

MeramJert posted:

Both of those are edible though, so he sounds kinda smart.

I would have been more impressed if he'd had any idea what an acorn was before he ate it. He literally asked us "what is this?" and then tried to eat it before we even answered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Raw acorns taste really bad though, but supposedly if you prepare them correctly they're palatable?